Welcome to PatsFans.com

Denver Off. vs. Pats D. Mismatch?

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by skri65, Jan 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skri65

skri65 Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

John Clayton predicts a mad matchup for the bronco's off. against our defense mainly because of their running ability. Similarly, I have seen trolls comment on this same similar matchup.

We ranked first in rushing defense during the second half of the season-which is virtually now. They have a great rushing offense. We have a great rushing defense. Where's the mismatch?

Similarly, John Clayton commented on how our "4 CB System" might not work to well because when their rushers break our front seven (thats a solid "if") our cb's wont be able to tackle bell or anderson. I havent noticed any glaring problems within our secondary tackling. In fact, my only complaint on this subject, is when we used to celebrate tackling someone after they picked up a first down. But thats off topic.

I just dont see the offense-defense mismatch. Of course, Ashlee Lelie (and Rod Smith, but a little less so) are big deep threats. However, if our front seven does well with stopping the run, then Wilson and Artrell should be able to limit the big plays. In fact, we havent given up many big plays at all since KC.

I'd rather not get bashed by the denver trolls out there, so can anyone "kindly" explain the mismatch here?
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2006
  2. skri65

skri65 Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

anyone understand this?
  3. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +438 / 10 / -11

#24 Jersey

Clayton is wrong. Not only have we had the best run defense in the league for quite some time, both Anderson and Bell have averaged 3.9 YPC starting with Week 9. Regarding the CB thing, he's talking about run support but we've had the least number of long runs (I think it's 20 yards+ but I may have the definition wrong) against us this year and for the last couple of years.
  4. footstepsfrom#27

footstepsfrom#27 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Maybe it's because of the 178 yards and 5.2 a pop we torched you for last time around... :D
  5. footstepsfrom#27

footstepsfrom#27 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Your run defense is ranked 8th in the NFL in yards per game. Ours is ranked 2nd. See NFL.com for confirmation.
  6. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +438 / 10 / -11

#24 Jersey

Do I look like I care ? It's how the teams are playing now that matters.

But even with our bad start, the Broncos are allowing 4.0 Yards per Carry, the Patriots are allowing 3.6 YPC.
  7. MoLewisrocks

MoLewisrocks PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0

The explanation is fairly simple whenever Clayton opines on us: he loves the Colts. It's a mismatch because if we beat Indy we'd also pose a threat to his darlings. Clayton's analysis is relatively useless unless you're looking for cap info.
  8. skri65

skri65 Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

If you would have read the article before posting, you would have observed that i mentioned the patriots have had the best run defense over the second half of the season, allowing an average of 68.7 yds/game. See Claytons article for confirmation ;)
  9. footstepsfrom#27

footstepsfrom#27 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Apparently you do since you posted it.
    That's a very missleading stat...check the TOP and number of rushing plays teams run against us. You'll find we were run on the fewest times in the league and ranked 1st in Time of Possession. Most of the rushing yardage Denver gave up came late in the game against prevent defenses because we were ahead in the game. It's not to tough to run against a prevent

Stats...meaningless unless you actually WATCH the game.
  10. footstepsfrom#27

footstepsfrom#27 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I read it...just didn't care...
  11. stinkypete

stinkypete Rookie

Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -1

#24 Jersey

Clayton, like everyone else, is remembering the Patriots of October instead of the Patriots of December/January. If you analyze that game, we clearly look outmatched, but that was a different team.

I think Denver, offensively, is a similar team to Jacksonville (albiet a little better at everything). Both teams use the zone blocking scheme we love to hate, both have a diverse rushing attack, and both have tall, fast recieving corps lead by savy vets. Denver has the added advantage of a mobile quarterback, but if we can keep Plummer in the pocket, the QB position is a wash.

The Jacksonville game was, in alot of ways, a warm up for Denver. If we can do the same things defensively, we should contain them. The only thing that worries me is the big play capability of their offense, but the Patriots of January don't give up big plays.
  12. shmessy

shmessy Maude Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +785 / 4 / -5

#75 Jersey

Pete, you hit the nail on the head. The Jags were the Broncos Scout Team for us on Saturday. This is a perfect setup for the Pats. The two offenses are exceptionally similar (tho' you're also right that the Broncos do all the things al little better).
  13. Willie55

Willie55 Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Must you post this in every thread? Time for something new.
  14. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +438 / 10 / -11

#24 Jersey

Ditto on the Patriots' defense. I'm telling you, the Broncos won't run the ball. If they do, they win. The Patriots' run defense has been sick for about 2 months with Larry Johnson, at a low 4.0 for him, being the only one having success (didn't look at the last game as most of the starters didn't play). We went 4 games with the long run against us being 5 yards.

Jake . . . you're up.
  15. QuinielaBox

QuinielaBox Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Marc Clayton is a weenie.

And for falsesteps#27 from Texas, the Patriots of January 2006 are a completely different team than October 2005.

Good thing, because we would not be here, and I would not have bothered to register with the OrangeMane.
  16. QuinielaBox

QuinielaBox Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

This guy is a weenie, just like 75% of the posters at the OrangeMane.
  17. AndyJohnson

AndyJohnson PatsFans.com Veteran PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +584 / 20 / -14

If the Broncos think they can beat us by running on us, I am very happy.
    No one can run on this D since Seymour returned to full strength (plus Bruschi, who WILL play).
    If the Broncos come out and try to establish the run at the start of the game we will get out to an early lead.

If this game comes down to their run O vs our run D, I am good with that.
  18. Trot

Trot Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

John Clayton knows less abouot football than my 60 year old German mother. Did this idiot write one positive thing about the Pats? He
    contradicts himself over and over again. Eg "The broncos have no pass
    rush, but the pats need to double team Pryce," or Richard Seymour
    didn't play in the first Broncos game and the Pats are now the best against the run, yet the pats won't stop the run. Why? Because the Broncos got x yards against them last time, when nobody was playing. Yeah, *that* makes sense.

No mention ofthe Pats front 7's dominance. Also, I love this nonsensical comment "No team has been able to stop TBrady this season (and Denver has no pass rush) but for *this* game the pats need Dillon. What an idiot.
  19. kcvet

kcvet Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

pass rush will be the key. when plummers under attack he has "panic attacks" and tends to throw punts up for grabs. im not sure bout the run. at one time they had 3 backs runnin. im on their board. their fans are ****y and over rated. know who im rootin for????
  20. dryheat44

dryheat44 Rookie

Ratings:
    +78 / 2 / -0

#75 Jersey

Denver has the best OL we've faced since KC, so they do have a chance to run successfully. They are ranked #1 in the NFL for rushing offense. It's definitely going to be strength vs. strength. For the Patriots to win, Wilfork is going to have to make Nalen his b!tch all game long. Luckily, I think he has it in him.

I really think it's that simple, who wins the battle in the middle wins this game.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.