PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Denver Broncos' Von Miller facing 4 game suspension

The Denver Post reports Von Miller's four-game suspension is for testing positive for amphetamines and marijuana during his rookie season in 2011.

NFL rules only allow commissioner Roger Goodell to suspend violators of the substance-abuse policy if they are two-time offenders. So the the rookie-year violation was Miller's second of the sort. A third offense would cost him an entire season. Why the NFL took so long to suspend Miller is unclear, but it's believed he'll have a "hard" time winning his appeal. The Broncos need to prepare to be without Miller until Week 5. Their fantasy defense takes an obvious blow, as aging replacement Shaun Phillips is a sizable downgrade.

via Rotoworld.

WTF? 2011? Is Godell that backed up?

NFL players are, largely, people from financially troubled areas who would usually have high crime numbers. As a group, however, they are arrested at about the same rate as the 'average' american.

In other words, the arrest rate for NFL players is lower than should be expected. All the hand-wringing is about PR, rather than about an actual issue.

Bingo. The reason this perception exists is because we hear about every NFL player arrest (where the vast majority of "normal" citizen arrests go unnoticed), and right or wrong it hits fans on an emotional level, so every offense has a little added oomph.

NFL players are, largely, people from financially troubled areas who would usually have high crime numbers. As a group, however, they are arrested at about the same rate as the 'average' american.

In other words, the arrest rate for NFL players is lower than should be expected. All the hand-wringing is about PR, rather than about an actual issue.

Stop posting this!
You should know that emotion over rules (math is hard!) statistics in debating societal issues today.

I think you are right the problem is more PR than a huge epidemic but I find this sort of general thinking while logical always seems to leave out one peice which is they are no longer the 'average american' and one should really compare their crime rates to those in the same income bracket. I would think the rates would still stand up favorably just something that always stood out in my mind with this line of thinking.

Not to worry! The Broncos have Peyton Manning in his prime while the Pats have to worry about an aged Brady who is declining in skills. At least that is what the media has been saying.

Check out that Denver defense. Without Von, they will have one of the worst units and pass rush in the entire league in weeks 1-4.

Would you trade one starting denver defensive player for one of ours?

Wolfe-Knighton-Williams (r)-Ayers

Phillips-Mays-Woodyard

Bailey-Adams-Moore-DRC

That is a rough unit.

Ravens
@Giants
Raiders
Eagles

That's DEN first four regular season games. I think they can get through that 2-2, at worst.

The one thing going for Denver is that they still have a fairly cake schedule (at least as far as we know now). Their schedule begins with Baltimore who gutted their defense, the Giants, Raiders, and Eagles. Unless Chip Kelly performs miracles right off the bat, I think the worst they go in that stretch is 2-2.

But then again, the Broncos at .500 after the first month isn't a bad thing for the Pats.

You mean to tell me that other teams dont have their own problems to worry about which is all the OP was saying? Seems valid to me but if you say Murder enough times or even just think about one murder enough the problems of the rest of the NFL become trivial. But outside of losing one player on the 53 albeit a really good player the murder is no longer a Patriot problem it is Aherns and his cohorts problem. The team does not go on trial despite what the media might want. Like Denver needing to replace Dummerviller we need to replace Ahern (and some PR work for Stacey James).

I mean to tell you that the Patriots offensive overhaul consists of losing and replacing

Welker
Hernandez
Lloyd
Branch
Woodhead
(possibly) Gronk

as well as dealing with Alphonso DUI. Among the top teams, only the Ravens come close to the level of overhaul via replacement rather than upgrade that the Patriots are doing, and the Ravens having to do it has been another of the big stories of the offseason.

Claiming that the Patriots are being unfairly singled out this offseason is simply foolishness.

Stop posting this!
You should know that emotion over rules (math is hard!) statistics in debating societal issues today.

Rules? Hell, we can't even get thought, nevermind rules. We're a nation with people holding Zimmerman protests about "stand your ground" in over 100 cities, despite "stand your ground" having nothing to do with the Zimmerman case.

Rules? Hell, we can't even get thought, nevermind rules. We're a nation with people holding Zimmerman protests about "stand your ground" in over 100 cities, despite "stand your ground" having nothing to do with the Zimmerman case.

So that this thread stays on topic - the jury instructions included "stand your ground" language and Juror B37 clearly stated that "stand your ground" was one of the considerations that were deliberated.

Don't know why Deus decided to interject what he said other than to look smart.

I mean to tell you that the Patriots offensive overhaul consists of losing and replacing

Welker
Hernandez
Lloyd
Branch
Woodhead
(possibly) Gronk

as well as dealing with Alphonso DUI. Among the top teams, only the Ravens come close to the level of overhaul via replacement rather than upgrade that the Patriots are doing, and the Ravens having to do it has been another of the big stories of the offseason.

Claiming that the Patriots are being unfairly singled out this offseason is simply foolishness.

Wait, you mean you aren't a fan of what they've done on offense? For the life of me I thought you were. Perhaps if you posted 25 times an hour about it for another 3 months there will be less ambiguity about your opinion.

Wait, you mean you aren't a fan of what they've done on offense? For the life of me I thought you were. Perhaps if you posted 25 times an hour about it for another 3 months there will be less ambiguity about your opinion.

Solid post, because I wemt right to that post. I didn't post anything else in the thread before that, and I didn't write that post because someone else was missing the obvious. It's great that your post wasn't just you being an ass, or anything like that.

There are twitter rumours about marijuana and MDMA. Must stress that it's no more than that though.
It must be that EDM British culture crossing the North Atlantic that Americans have only just discovered. For their sake, let's hope it's more Human Traffic than Trainspotting. :p

lovin the reparte here

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back