PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Denver Breakdown

Status
Not open for further replies.

Box_O_Rocks

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Reminder: I use the offensive perspective - example: the right side is the offense's right, so Warren would be the RDE from that perspective - Pats1 prefers to report both perspectives, Warren would be his LDE. You can figure it out from there - enjoy (or not, as the result was unpleasant).
-----

D1 15:00 4:01 DEN 20 7 38 Punt

Score: 0:0

Kickoff: Gostkowski - 6 yds deep in end zone, no run back.

m: 1st and 10
r: Run, left side, 7 yds.
o: 2 wide, 2 TE right - motion - flanker right to upright flanker left.
d: 3-4, CBs soft - no shift off the motion - RILB Seau sneaking up showing blitz.
b: Zone blocking slant to the left; Colvin goes laterally with the TE and gets 2 yds penetration to force the RB wider; Seymour doubled by LG/LT; Bruschi comes up into the line and is picked up by the LG releasing off Seymour; Wilfork slides with the C and is chop blocked by the RG while engaged with the C - he avoids the dive at his knees; Seau is cut blocked by the RT; Warren throws off the TE, but is too far into the backfield for a good pursuit angle upfield; Vrabel starts out as backside contain, then leaves that to Warren and takes a flat pursuit angle behind the line.
a: The CBs had to be run off by the WRs, both they and the Ss were slow getting up to help in run support and allowed the RB to get the outside corner despite Colvin’s stringing him wide; Samuel and Harrison came up to make the stop.

m: 2nd and 3
r: Run, right side, 1 yd.
o: 3 wide, 2 right, FB offset right - motion - TE came from wide right to flanker right.
d: 3-4, Vrabel split wide over the slot WR 3 yds off the LOS, CBs soft - off the motion Vrabel moved inside on the flanker’s outside shoulder
b: Colvin was ridden outside and downfield by the LT; Seymour was stood up and turned outside by the LG; Wilfork was stood up, and driven left by the C; Bruschi was sealed left by the RG coming out; Seau was met filling the hole by the RT and pushed left, though he twisted out from the block and turned left to come back upfield in pursuit taking him further out of the play; Warren was doubled by RT/TE, then was taken down by the TE jumping on his back as he penetrated low to split the apparent double-team; Vrabel set the the edge against the FB; Harrison was blocked upfield by the slot WR (Walker).
a: Wilfork lost the middle, but Seau’s quick fill and Warren penetrating to the inside forced the RB to move outside for a hole; Warren appeared to trip the RB with a hand on his ankle, enough for Vrabel to shed the FB and make the tackle.

m: 3rd and 2
r: Pass, crossing pattern underneath, 15 yds; penalty, illegal contact Seau, declined.
o: Shotgun, 3 wide in close to the formation, 2 right, TE left, RB right - motioned outside to wide left for a 4 wide formation.
d: 3-4, Hobbs press on outside right WR, Vrabel heads up on inside right WR (outside man was at normal slot width).
b: Seymour checked by LT; Bruschi rushed and was driven into Wilfork by the LG; Wilfork doubled by the C/RG and stood up; Warren lost his balance beating the RT outside; Harrison was blocked upfield by Hobb’s man after the catch was made underneath.
c: Vrabel jammed the inside WR (Rod Smith) and released him to Hobbs; outside WR came underneath the inside WR and was jammed by Vrabel who followed his crossing pattern underneath; Colvin jammed the TE and released him to Seau and Wilson, remaining in a shallow left zone; Seau dropped into a center zone and picked up the TE off Colvin’s release; Samuel was man outside on RB Bell split wide left; Rodney was deep man playing right side of a cover two; Wilson was a little shallower to pick up the TE.
a: Colvin was still communicating a call when the ball was snapped; No one picked up Javon Walker crossing underneath the LBs behind the TE from slot left; Hobbs came off his man to make the tackle; Pats stayed in a base 3-4 even after Denver went to empty backfield - 4 wide; poor adjustment by the LBs allowing an uncovered crossing pattern underneath their coverage; Seau drew the penalty, jamming the TE more than 5 yds from the LOS after Colvin had jammed him on his release; Pats kept everything in front of them to prevent the deep ball.

r: Pats1, you’ll have to break this one down, rain disrupted my satellite picture during this play.
o:
d:
b:
a:

r: Pass, crossing pattern, 6 yds.
o: 2 wide (slot width), TE left, FB offset right close to the line (almost a flanker) - motioned to offset left, two steps behind the TE.
d: 3-4, CBs soft, Harrison up on LOS inside the left slot WR teasing blitz.
b: Harrison blitzed from the slot and was doubled by RB/LT and taken downfield; Colvin was chipped by the TE and came unblocked; Seymour bull rushed the LG back into the pocket; Wilfork engaged the C and stayed underneath as draw/scramble insurance underneath; Warren stunted inside and bull rushed the RG back into the pocket; Vrabel beat the RT inside with a shoulder slap and lunged into the QB as he released the ball.
c: Seau picked up the FB out of the backfield; Hobbs was man on Walker out of the left slot; Bruschi came up underneath waiting for the scramble; Wilson was over top of Hobbs/Walker.
a: Timing pattern off a 7-step drop, flooding the left side with receivers to distract from Rod Smith coming across the field behind them; Hobbs reacted very quickly to prevent any yards after catch (YAC).

m: 2nd and 4
r: Run, right side, loss of two yds.
o: Compressed formation, 2 wide at slot width, TE right, LT upright in pass defense stance, FB offset left - motion to I formation.
d: 3-4, Hobbs in press on RWR, Harrison up with ILBs in the box.
b: Bruschi cut blocked by the LT; Wilfork engaged by the C and chop blocked by the LG; Warren sealed inside by the TE; Vrabel engaged by the pulling RT; RG pulled and picked up no one; Harrison engaged by the FB on the edge.
a: Denver left a TE alone on Warren - bad mistake - who promptly fought off the block, penetrated behind the pulling RG/RT and made the tackle for a loss; Vrabel won the leverage battle on the RT setting the edge and slowing the RB up, he was second man to the RB; Seau bulled through the TE slipping off Warren and was third man to the RB; Seymour trailed the play and added his weight to the dog pile.

m: 3rd and 6
r: Pass, Square out right, incomplete.
o: Shotgun, 3 wide, 2 left, TE right, RB left side.
d: 4-2 nickel, CBs very soft @ 7 yds deep, - Hobbs on Walker right side, Gay on slot left - Wilson up in the box inside Vrabel over the TE.
b: Colvin and Vrabel faked a rush, then dropped into coverage; Seymour doubled by LT/LG; Bruschi picked up by the RB; Seau picked up by the C and doubled by the LG releasing off Seymour; Green doubled by RT/RG.
c: CBs man on the WRs, OLBs zone underneath, Wilson man on the TE, Harrison floating freelance in the middle.
a: Walker had a step on Hobbs and Vrabel, but ran under the ‘line of gain’ for some reason - perhaps his route was disrupted; The LBs faking an all out blitz then leaving Bruschi and Seau to come up the middle forced Jake to roll out and cut his field in half; Green added additional pressure as the fastest DL, read the roll out and shed his blocking giving Plummer something else to think about; Plummer threw behind Walker, who couldn’t make the grab and was hit just after the ball got there by Hobbs.

m: 4th and 6
r: Punt, downed at the 1 yd line.

Back to the top - sticky please.

Here's the play:

1st and 10 Den 43

Result: Pass, T. Bell, flare right, 11 yds., pass thrown under pressure.
Offense: 2 WR slots, 2 TE down off each OT, T. Bell lone RB.
Defense: 3-4, Vrabel and Colvin tight over TEs, Hobbs press on RWR, Samuel 5 yards off LWR.
Blocking: Seymour fakes outside before beating the LT inside and forcing the dumpoff from Plummer
Wilfork drives the C back before the LG and RG come over and help
Warren chips the RTE before turning the RT around and almost tipping the pass in Plummer’s face
Coverage: Colvin jams the LTE on a short route
Bruschi picks up the LWR coming up the seam
Seau drops back into a deep zone
Vrabel drops back into a zone before getting faked out near the sidelines after the catch
Hobbs follows the RWR Kircus deep

Analysis: The rush was there on Plummer, but “forced” the Broncos into dumping it off. Vrabel should have made the openfield tackle on this play, but he continued an alarming trend by getting juked out of his shoes by Tatum Bell, who would scamper for another 8 or so before Bruschi, Hobbs, Seau, and Harrison corralled him. Vrabel ran towards the sidelines, squared his shoulders to the line as Bell himself set for a moment, and as Vrabel tried to lunge forward, Bell simply took off left to leave Vrabel in the dust. Seau would have been the nearest LB containment inside, but he was in a deep zone. Bruschi came across the field to get the first hit on Bell, and was assisted by others.

Last edited:
Pats1 & Box, thanks again for the yeoman's job. Of all games that need breaking down, it's the painful losses. At the end of the season this may still rank as one of the most painful, because it's the Broncos and they did it to us again.

Anyway, Greg Doyle at BSMW wrote an absolutely terrific game analysis. He watches the tape like you guys do and renders a balanced opinion. In particular, he finds things that have either gone unnoticed or go against conventional wisdom.

For example: "I was more open in the stands surrounded by 68,000 people than [Jonathan Smith] was on the field with only 11 Broncos around. " Doyle wants to see Childress back on the roster.

On the linebackers: "Junior Seau had a very nice game. Tedy Bruschi was okay, especially considering his limitations with a cast on his hand. The rest of this unit was horrible." Most commentators have been slamming Seau.

"I thought Eugene Wilson was having a good game until he got hurt in the second half." Again, Wilson has been taking heat.

And on why the Patriots lost. "The most overlooked [reason] by tunnel vision fans or media with agenda is good play by professional, skilled opponents."

I apologize for usurping your thread for this note, but I'd be interested to know if you two breakdown pros see the same or different things that he did.

PatsFan37 said:
Pats1 & Box, thanks again for the yeoman's job. Of all games that need breaking down, it's the painful losses. At the end of the season this may still rank as one of the most painful, because it's the Broncos and they did it to us again.

Anyway, Greg Doyle at BSMW wrote an absolutely terrific game analysis. He watches the tape like you guys do and renders a balanced opinion. In particular, he finds things that have either gone unnoticed or go against conventional wisdom.

For example: "I was more open in the stands surrounded by 68,000 people than [Jonathan Smith] was on the field with only 11 Broncos around. " Doyle wants to see Childress back on the roster.

On the linebackers: "Junior Seau had a very nice game. Tedy Bruschi was okay, especially considering his limitations with a cast on his hand. The rest of this unit was horrible." Most commentators have been slamming Seau.

"I thought Eugene Wilson was having a good game until he got hurt in the second half." Again, Wilson has been taking heat.

And on why the Patriots lost. "The most overlooked [reason] by tunnel vision fans or media with agenda is good play by professional, skilled opponents."

I apologize for usurping your thread for this note, but I'd be interested to know if you two breakdown pros see the same or different things that he did.
Anyone is welcome to post game discussion here, you of all people should know our mindset about analyzing the games. ;)

I've read Doyle's articles and he does a very nice job, I've both agreed and disagreed with him on the Bills and Jest games, so he's obviously doing fine! :D

I started the first defensive series and got sidetracked with the normal and abnormal things that like to keep me on my toes, or backside as it were. My impressions of Seau from all three games...you have a very experienced linebacker, one who has some well developed football instincts after a year or two in the league and he is playing within a semi-unfamiliar system (Miami gave him a taste) - this has led him to play to his strengths and minimize his inexperience in the system - in short, he plays each down almost as is he has a green light to run blitz. It's a generally disruptive behavior for the offense, and because he has enough football "savvy" to not need to "fill the hole" on each play, he can keep the offense off balance with some read & react. If he can stay healthy and continue to pick up the nuances of the Patriots' 3-4 ILB position, he'll be extremely impressive by the end of the season. Until then, he will look silly on a few plays, and look prescient on a few. It's nice to have 16 or so years of pro-football experience to draw on when your learning the new job. Another improvement, in the first pre-season game he played, he would "bounce" when he engaged a Guard, I haven't noticed that being a problem in the regular season, he now either locks them up to plug the running lanes, or slides off to maintain pursuit.

Jonathan Smith was active for his first game Sunday night, the only times I noticed him he was working on the right side - Champ Bailey anyone? I believe he was in the game more to test his route running and progress under game conditions. If he was even in the progression, he was the fifth read. I would also imagine he gets most of his work with Matt Cassel and not Tommy given the need to improve communications and timing with Reche, Doug, and Chad. I want to see Bam succeed and I'm high on him, but Jonathan caught Pioli's and Bill's eyes and also deserves a fair trial period - I'm not the one to suggest when that is over, and I don't think Greg or any other media member or fan has that call either.

Wilson has been called on to do more as the Pats adjust to Rodney's physical limitations, and the development of Hobbs and Samuel. We don't have two 10 year veteran CBs like we did in 2003. We also don't have two 1st round draft choices at CBs like we did in 2003. We have players whom clubs felt needed more time to develop, so they were available in the mid-rounds. I'm pretty happy with the progress being made and Wilson is part of that equation. He missed a tackle on Coles, someone who makes All-Pro CBs and Ss look silly, a lot of guys missed that tackle, but only he has been singled out by the torch and pitchfork brigade. Geno is doing just fine from my view, which probably explains why he is starting for Bill and Dean. Listen to the mob call for Sanders' head in lieu of Wilson's, the poor guy has how many plays under his belt? How many times has Tommy made that same pass to a WR? I'm shocked that a professional QB and WR combination would be able to make the same pitch and catch against the Pats' secondary. Yeh, Javon Walker turned it into a big play, like he hasn't done that before. I thought there was a reason so many people got phsyched up over speed demons like Chad Jackson and Doug Gabriel, guys who not only could do the shimmy sham, but outrun the competition - too bad Denver paid more for one Bill wanted.

See, I agree and disagree with Greg - I'm just fickle that way. :)

Breer joins the party:

http://www.bostonherald.com/blogs/patriots/?p=366

September 26th, 2006
Tale of the tape
Posted by Albert Breer at 4:56 pm

Here’s some more gleaned from a couple extra looks at the telecast of the Patriots’ 17-7 loss to Denver on Sunday night:

– Here’s what’s become of the passing game: through the entire first quarter, QB Tom Brady threw just one pass to a receiver further than 5 yards past the line of scrimmage. That ball, as it turns out, should’ve been picked by Denver’s John Lynch, and would’ve been if not for a head’s up pass breakup by Reche Caldwell. The passing game evolved a bit but as it did, Brady’s completion percentage — 71.4 percent for the first quarter — sank like a rock. By the third quarter, you could hear Bronco defenders calling out screens. Not good. Now, the Patriots have always been a screen-happy team, and for good reason. But, no matter who you are, it stops working so well when it’s coming out every other play.

– Think the Patriots might load up and blitz the bejesus out of Carson Palmer the way the Steelers did? You might want to think again. Through the first half of Sunday night’s game, the Patriots consistently sent an extra man after Jake Plummer and, consistently, he found the open man. Especially on third down, where Denver was 60 percent before the break. The two most glaring examples were on the Broncos’ last two series of the first half, where Plummer found Rod Smith for 11 yards on third-and-8 and Javon Walker for a 32-yard score on third-and-1. Both came with the Patriots sending six rushers. Part of it is that Plummer can escape with his feet, and Palmer won’t be able to do that. But a bigger problem seemed to appear in the coverage, which buckled quickly in man looks. That, on the other hand, is something Cincinnati’s probably already drooling over.

– The Patriots’ offensive line seemed to struggle with the athleticism of the Denver defense. Consistently, the defensive linemen were able to get upfield and into the backfield. Yes, Laurence Maroney could’ve run with a bit more authority. But the line struggled a bit to engage the Denver defenders and all Maroney did was try to make something out of nothing, instead of putting his head down and trying to get back to the line, which is common for a rookie back. The dynamic, too, cost the team in pass protection.

– The Patriots’ offensive line seemed to struggle with the athleticism of the Denver defense. Consistently, the defensive linemen were able to get upfield and into the backfield. Yes, Laurence Maroney could’ve run with a bit more authority. But the line struggled a bit to engage the Denver defenders and all Maroney did was try to make something out of nothing, instead of putting his head down and trying to get back to the line, which is common for a rookie back. The dynamic, too, cost the team in pass protection.

– The emphasis on pressure, by the way, produced no sacks and no turnovers from a Denver offense that surrendered four sacks and piled up six giveaways in its first two games.

– The most compelling matchup of the night, long touchdowns aside, had to be Denver C Tom Nalen going man-up on NT Vince Wilfork. If you have the tape, go back and watch those two go back-and-forth all game. You won’t be disappointed.

– LB Mike Vrabel’s transition back to the outside looked seamless. He set the edge well, combining with Ty Warren to form a wall on the left side, and was solid in pursuit in covering the flat.

Last edited:
O1 10:59 3:09 NE 1 6 14 Punt

r: Run, Dillon, left side, 3 yds.
o: I formation, 3 TE, 2 left.
d: 11 men within 5 yards of the LOS.
b: Watson knocked the RDE off-balance; O’Callaghan chased LBs like butterflies in the meadow; Neal planted the RDT face first into the turf; Koppen and Mankins doubled the LDT and drove him off the LOS; Light and Graham blew the LDE off the LOS - Light carried a LB and SS who jumped on him trying to get to Dillon; Thomas drove the LCB off the LOS and into the secondary; Evans led into the hole and added his push to the mass Light was collecting as LBs tried slipping through creases.
a: Just a straight forward drive blocking effort, our’s against your’s.
n: NBC’s camera work is miserable, too much time showing graphics and commercial endorsements, not enough time watching the teams set up for the plays.

m: 2nd and 7
r: Run, Dillon, right side, loss of 1 yd.
o: I formation, Graham TE right, Watson flanker right, T.Brown wide left.
d: 4-3, RCB up with the LBs over the flanker, LCB off the line over T.Brown - SLB creeping up in blitz just before the snap.
b: Mankens took playside position against the LDT, Light had no one to block when the LDE dropped out and pursued upfield so he doubled up with Mankins; Koppen and O’Callaghan doubled the RDT; Graham came through and whiffed on the MLB; Watson sealed the RDE inside; Neal pulled and and got a piece of the RCB; Evans led and was unable to turn back for the SLB shooting the gap.
a: Questionable blocking scheme - Neal pulling got a good pulling G outside, but the lighter/faster defenders didn’t need a pulling G to move them, Neal or O’Callaghan going through to the next level would have sealed the MLB and backside pursuit away from the play; The SLB coming on a run blitz just before the snap upset the blocking assignments and left him unblocked as O’Callaghan doubled a DT whom Koppen was blocking and Graham either missed the SLB or allowed him through for Neal/Evans; Evans saw the SLB shooting the gap, but was unable to brake and get back to block the fast LB who laid Dillon by the heels in the backfield; Denver has too much speed at LB for plays going outside.

m: 3rd and 8
r: Run, Dillon, up the middle, 10 yds.
o: Brown wide right, Caldwell wide left, Graham TE right, Watson TE left.
d: 4-3, RCB press on Brown, LCB 4 yds off Caldwell, SLB on line outside Graham.
b: Graham ole’d the RDE who went too deep on containment; Neal and O’Callaghan doubled the RDT and drove him off the LOS; Koppen and Mankins doubled the LDT and drove him off the LOS; Light and Watson doubled the LDE and drove him off the LOS; Brown screened the RCB out of the play; Caldwell marked the LCB and kept him out of the play.
a: The play started left and Denver’s defense over-pursued causing the LBs to be screened behind the blocking when Dillon cut left; Dillon read the defense and saw the cut back lane, he was untouched until the SS recovered and sped back to hit him just before he break into open field - had Lynch been a fraction of a second slower it was going to be up to the CBs to drag Dillon down from behind.

r: Pass, Watson, crossing underneath, 5 yds.
o: Brown wide right, Caldwell wide left, Watson slot left, Graham TE right, Maroney at RB.
d: 4-3, WLB up close to the line drops back before the snap, CBs soft @ 5 yds deep.
b: O’Callaghan rode the RDE downfield past Brady; Neal and Koppen double the RDT and ride him outside, Neal slips and falls but Koppen holds the block; Mankins rode the LDT right across the base of the pocket with no penetration; Light checked the LDE, but was eventually beaten inside - possible hold that went uncalled.
c: Brown was manned up by the RCB (Bailey) along the sideline; Caldwell was in man against the LCB; Maroney ran a wheel route into the left flat with the WLB marking him in a shallow zone; Graham headed deep up the right side, he was marked by the SLB and handed off to the SS; Watson came across underneath the LB’s zone.
a: Graham drew the SLB deeper with his route, allowing Watson to have more room for the reception; Watson was tackled immediately by the speedy SLB, who was then taken out of the game after getting the wind knocked out of him by the collision with Watson.

m: 2nd and 5
r: Run, Maroney, left side stretch play, loss of 3yds.
o: Brown wide right, Caldwell wide left, Watson TE left, Graham slot right - motioned to upright flanker left.
d: 4-3, CBs soft, LBs shifted left off the motion, SS came up on the right side at the snap for 8 men in the box.
b: Graham rode the SLB outside; Watson got a good block on the LDE, then released him to try and block the MLB who was turning the edge; O’Callaghan chipped the RDE to slow his backside pursuit and was unable to engage anybody else upfield; Neal was beaten playside by the RDT; Koppen was unable to engage anybody upfield; Mankins was beaten playside by the LDT; Light chipped the LDE, then was unable to block anybody else upfield.
a: Horrible blocking as Denver’s defense outran the Patriot blockers; Graham and Watson had good blocks, but Watson tried to do too much, maybe assuming there was backside help to pick up the LDE; Maroney stuck with his blockers - he might have done better to try and reverse his field with only the RDE to beat on the backside.

m: 3rd and 8
r: Pass, Graham, crossing pattern underneath, incomplete.
o: Watson wide right, Brown slot right, Graham TE left, Caldwell wide left, Faulk at RB - Watson motion to inside slot.
d: 4-2 nickel, CBs soft, FS inside the LDE over Graham.
b: O’Callaghan was beaten outside by the RDE; Neal stood up the RDT; Mankins was beaten inside by the LDT using a shoulder slap; Koppen picked up the LDT; Light was hard pressed but managed to slow the LDE.
c: Man, the LBs in zone underneath, Faulk on a wheel route right with the RLB marking him; Graham ran the same underneath crossing pattern Watson ran on the first pass - Watson ran a slightly deeper crossing pattern in an attempt to brush off the defenders.
a: The RDE beat O’Callaghan and pressured Brady to throw quickly and flat footed resulting in the pass being off target; Graham had a good step on the defender.

m: 4th and 8
r: Punt, Miller, 46 yd punt, no return - Sanders tripped or something taking out the legs of a Denver LB who took out the legs of Izzo who inadvertently touched the ball while it was still rolling upfield, this cost the Pats another couple/three yards on the punt.

I'm sad,No more :mad:

Thanks to BOR and Pats1 for these breakdowns,they are very informative(for me ,anyway)and help me understand some of the blocking schemes,etc.

Just a quick comment.This Breakdown is GREAT guys,I appreciate it.Are you going to be doing this for all the Pats games this season?

Patriots4Ever said:
Just a quick comment.This Breakdown is GREAT guys,I appreciate it.Are you going to be doing this for all the Pats games this season?
We try, but it is a great deal of effort and we rarely finish a whole game during the week. Feel free to ask questions or make requests, we'll try and do what we can.

Been busy most of the week, but I'm working on the second quarter right now and hope to have a drive up tonight.

Offensive Series #3 Downs

Contributor: ??
Time: 0:56 remaining in the first quarter
Statistics: 8 plays (5 run, 3 pass), 45 yards (11 run, 34 pass), time of possession was 3:53
Breakdown: 3 green plays (1 run, 2 pass) for 39 yds. (5 run, 34 pass), 1 black play (1 run, 0 pass) for 3 yds., 4 red plays (3 run, 1 pass) for 3 yds. (3 run, 0 pass)

1st and 10 NE 18

Result: Pass, Maroney, play action, quick out, 11 yds.
Offense: 2 WR, Caldwell wide left, Brown wide right, 2 TE, Graham down off RT, Watson motion right to left wing, Maroney lone RB.
Defense: 4-3, both CBs a few yards off, S Lynch comes down 5 yards off Watson left wing.
Blocking: Light rides the RDE inside and to the right of Brady
Mankins stands up the RDT
Koppen sits back in reserve
Neal endures a few spin moves from the LDT
O’Callaghan and Graham double the LDE
Coverage: Watson goes up the seam against the S Lynch
Caldwell goes deep on the RCB
Brown goes deep against the LCB and SLB
Maroney takes the play action and heads out to the free left flat

Analysis: The SLB immediately dropped back on the snap, while the MLB read the play before dropping out, but the WLB bit all the way to the line before releasing Maroney into the flat and dropping back himself. With Lynch and the RCB cleared out, the left flat was open for a well-protected Brady to toss it over to Maroney, who’d battle with the WLB and RCB to get the first down.

1st and 10 NE 29

Result: Run, Maroney, right tackle, 3 yds.
Offense: 2 WR, Caldwell wide left, Brown wide right, 2 TE, Graham down off RT, Watson down right wing, Maroney lone RB.
Defense: 4-3, both CBs a few yards off.
Blocking: Light seals the RDE outside
Mankins pulls right and engages with the MLB, who sheds when the run bounces outside and helps on the tackle
Koppen turns the RDT outside
Neal and O’Callaghan double the LDT before Neal breaks off inside to pick up the S Lynch coming in
Graham turns the LDE inside
Watson drives the SLB off in the second level
Brown blocks the LCB

Analysis: The play was included a counter-step left on the snap before Maroney took the handoff right, but that did little to draw the WLB off the play. Maroney looked indecisive and stretched the play too far outside. While he stuttered and cut his way towards the edge, the lone unblocked front seven defender, the WLB, was steadily working his way into the last remaining hole. By the time Maroney finally got to the line of scrimmage, the WLB was right there to wrap him up. The blocking did a good job of containing defenders, but no real holes were opened up.

Note: End of 1st quarter.

2nd and 7 NE 32

Result: Pass, Maroney, Incomplete, play action, quick out, 0 yds.
Offense: 2 WR, Caldwell wide left, Brown wide right, 2 TE, Watson down off LT, Graham down off RT, Maroney lone RB.
Defense: 4-3, both CBs a few yards off.
Blocking: Watson rides the RDE outside before being beaten inside
Light helps Neal corral the stunting LDT
Mankins pulls right but the stunting RDT is able to get past Mankins on one move
Koppen chips the RDT before being stampeded by the stunting LDT and Neal
Neal sticks with the stunting LDT
O’Callaghan slides with the slanting LDE inside
Coverage: Graham goes up the seam against the SLB
Caldwell gets jammed at 5 yards by the RCB while going deep
Brown goes deep against the LCB
Maroney takes the play action and heads out to the free right flat

Analysis: Does the play sound familiar? That’s because it was the EXACT same play run at the start of the drive, 2 plays prior – only reversed. This time, Maroney’s route went into the right flat, which was spied on by the LCB Bailey and the SLB D.J. Williams. Both would break off the deep routes from Graham and Brown respectively, with Williams getting to Maroney first and spinning him down in the open field for no gain. I’m not going to even begin to wonder why the Pats believed they could sneak the same play by twice against this defense.

3rd and 7 NE 32

Result: Pass, Caldwell, 25 yard comeback pattern, 23 yds.
Offense: Shotgun 3 WR, Caldwell wide left, Brown left slot, Smith wide right, TE Watson standing right wing, RB Faulk to left of Brady in shotgun.
Defense: 4-2-5 nickel, SLB and S Lynch showing blitz over Watson, all 3 CBs 5 yards off.
Blocking: Light rides the RDE outside and behind Brady
Mankins is bull rushed back by the RDT and just to the left of Brady
Koppen stands up the LDT with early help from Neal
Neal initially doubles the LDT before sliding outside to help with the LDE
O’Callaghan is beaten outside by the LDE, who slips as he tries to turn the corner
Coverage: Faulk curls underneath with the S Lynch in coverage
Watson cuts across underneath and into the NB and RCB zones
Caldwell finds a void behind the RCB zone and outside of the deep MLB zone
Brown does a post underneath the MLB and towards the FS zone
Smith does a slant with the LCB Bailey in man coverage

Analysis: The play didn’t exactly start well, with Brady having to step up because of pressure from behind, while Mankins was barely able to steer the bull rushing RDT wide. The Broncos would bring an interesting version of the zone defense out, with the MLB taking the deep-mid zone, and the FS taking the outside left. Watson occupied 2 CB short zones with a route, leaving Caldwell wide open in a big void.

1st and 10 Den 45

Result: Run, Maroney, left guard, 2 yds.
Offense: 3 WR, Brown wide left, Watson right slot, Caldwell wide right, TE Graham down off LT, Maroney lone RB.
Defense: 4-3, WLB 5 yards off slot, both CBs 5 yards off.
Blocking: Graham turns the RDE inside but is quickly shed
Light and Mankins double the RDT
Koppen drives the LDT off right
Neal is faked out by the MLB in the second level
O’Callaghan turns the LDE outside
Watson blocks the WLB downfield

Analysis: Going to the no-huddle before this play, the Pats looked to build off the momentum of the Caldwell catch and keep the rhythm moving downfield. That didn’t happen. Maroney started towards right guard, where O’Callaghan and Koppen turned the LDE and LDT wide to open a hole. Unfortunately, that hole was quickly clogged when both the MLB fooled Neal in the second level, and was followed into the backfield by the aggressive SLB Gold. Maroney then tried to cut back left, where Graham had already lost the RDE. The SS Ferguson came in and helped the RDE finish the play off.

2nd and 8 Den 43

Result: Run, Maroney, left tackle, 5 yds.
Offense: 3 WR, Brown wide left, Watson right slot, Caldwell wide right, TE Graham down off LT, Maroney lone RB.
Blocking: Graham drives the RDE downfield
Light and Mankins double the RDT
Koppen drives the LDT off right
Neal pulls left but dives and misses at the MLB on the edge
Brown blocks the SS ahead of the run

Analysis: Again in the no huddle, the Pats brought out the same personnel and formation against an equally similar defense. This time, the run went to the left to start off, and Graham got a much better block on the RDE Engelberger. In fact, considering the blocking scheme was almost exactly the same, it’s obvious this was (again) just the last play with a reversed direction. On the edge, Brown went for the SS instead of the RCB, who whiffed at Maroney anyway. However, Neal pulled and chose the MLB, missing at him anyway, instead of the closer SLB D.J. Williams, who would wrap up Maroney after Maroney’s spin to avoid the RCB.

3rd and 3 Den 38

Result: Run, Maroney, left guard, 2 yds.
Blocking: Graham rides the RDE outside, who quickly beats Graham back inside
Light and Mankins double the RDT, but as Mankins breaks off downfield to get the MLB, the RDT scrapes off Light and trips up Maroney
Koppen turns the LDT outside
Neal pulls left and engages the SLB in front of the run
Brown goes for the SS Ferguson coming in.

Analysis: Still in the no huddle, the Pats went for the same play AGAIN, and this time it was back to nearly no gain. Light was playing on the outside of the RDT double team, and with the run to Light’s inside, all it took was Mankins to break off (as he did),and the RDT has the leverage against the run. Maroney would be tripped up by the RDT Myers and finished off by the RDE Engelberger, who made Graham look silly again on the edge.

4th and 1 Den 36

Result: Run, Maroney, left tackle, -1 yds.
Offense: 3 TE, Thomas down left wing, Graham down off LT, Watson down off RT, I-form backfield with Evans at FB and Maroney at RB.
Defense: 4-3, SLB showing blitz over C, CBs tight on the edges, Ss in the box.
Blocking: Thomas drives the RCB off the edge
Graham is driven back into the running lane by the RDE
Light turns the SLB inside
Mankins and Koppen double the RDT
Neal tries to chop block the LDT, who simply jumps over it
O’Callaghan can’t catch up to the MLB or WLB in the second level
Watson can’t get an angle on the LDE, who pursues from the backside
Evans initially drives the SS off on the edge but loses his balance and falls off the block

Analysis: With Dillon hurt, this was not exactly an ideal situation to have Maroney running between the tackles. Therefore, the Pats tried to get some the stretch play going here, but such a slow-developing play spelled disaster with 10 speedy defenders in the box.Simply put, the Patriots were dominated at the line of scrimmage on this play. To start off, Graham couldn’t hold an inch on the RDE Engelberger, slowing Maroney enough for the LDT Veal, who jumped over a Neal cut block attempt, to slam Maroney down.

Observations:

--I've been saying this since Graham came back from his injury last year - he is by no means the best blocking TE in the league. This horrid drive for him is just another example.

--McDaniels killed the pace of the no huddle by calling the same play to Maroney over and over again.

Box_O_Rocks said:
We try, but it is a great deal of effort and we rarely finish a whole game during the week. Feel free to ask questions or make requests, we'll try and do what we can.
not sure if its been posted before but i have nfl network and they have this on demand thing -patritos on demand and it has a section called Belichcik breadown where he breaks down 2-3 plays from LAST WEEK's game . i just some of the denver plays..only the +ve plays and only 3 of them but if it helps you guys to see or verify if youd like with what BB sees ..it may be interesting to check it out..

SVN said:
not sure if its been posted before but i have nfl network and they have this on demand thing -patritos on demand and it has a section called Belichcik breadown where he breaks down 2-3 plays from LAST WEEK's game . i just some of the denver plays..only the +ve plays and only 3 of them but if it helps you guys to see or verify if youd like with what BB sees ..it may be interesting to check it out..
NFL Network has Patriots On Demand? I visit a fair bit and have missed it; I'd be anxious to see anything Bill breaks down for the fans.

Box_O_Rocks said:
NFL Network has Patriots On Demand? I visit a fair bit and have missed it; I'd be anxious to see anything Bill breaks down for the fans.

Comcast offers Patriots on Demand as part of their on Demand package. Press the on Demand button, select sports, select nfl network, select Patriots on Demand. Several categories there to view. Patriots Video News, Press Conferences, Belichik Break downs, shows such as Patriots All Access, etc.

Box_O_Rocks said:

BB does breakdowns every week for Patriots All-Access.

I don't think you can get it through anywhere else, though.

I know they put all of them from the winning streak on the DVD '21.'

pats1 said:
BB does breakdowns every week for Patriots All-Access.

I don't think you can get it through anywhere else, though.
i thought he always breaksdown film of the upcoming game on all access not of the past game..i saw that only on ON DEMAND when he broke down 3 plays from this sunday's denver game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots