PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Denver Breakdown (Divisional Playoffs)

Status
Not open for further replies.

pats1

PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
4/5/2007 Note: Don't mind this thread, I just wanted to get some stuff I did last year online.

I've already started simply because I want to console myself that we outplayed the Broncos in most areas.

I'm also looking to see where we need to improve on for 2006, and the offensive line is a big one. Light and Koppen will obviously help, and the growth and maturity of Kaczur and Mankins should put the icing on the cake. Chiefs, anyone?

I've already seen poor offensive line play in this game, as well as many other games. It wasn't Corey folks. He had absolutely no line to run behind.

We're set on the OL if we re-sign Neal with, I assume :

Light, Mankins, Koppen, Neal, Kaczur.

If Neal leaves we can either toss a Hochstein or Yates type in or sign a guy as Guards are usually relatively cheap. Also, some thought Kaczur would be best at Guard, a Light, Mankins, Koppen, Kaczur, Gorin line is possible too.

Neal had a lesser year than I expected with penalties and lookout blocks. I once thought he'd be expensive to sign, now I'm not sure he gets a big offer unless the Browns and Jeff Davidson make him a big offer with all their cap room.

pats1 said:
I've already started simply because I want to console myself that we outplayed the Broncos in most areas.

I'm also looking to see where we need to improve on for 2006, and the offensive line is a big one. Light and Koppen will obviously help, and the growth and maturity of Kaczur and Mankins should put the icing on the cake. Chiefs, anyone?

I've already seen poor offensive line play in this game, as well as many other games. It wasn't Corey folks. He had absolutely no line to run behind.

Thanks to you and Box for all your dedication and determination. I know the we're a better team talk sounds like sour grapes to some folks, but to anyone who followed this team closely it was painfully apparent last night. As BB probably told them before the game, if we execute we win. We simply didn't execute on offense, and it all begins (and ends) with the line play. More than anything their performance determines how we game plan and how the gameplay unfolds. Last night it resulted in the team being put in some predictably unfortunate situations. For the sake of our HOF QB's long term health it is imperative that we get that nailed down for 2006. He's getting hit way too much, he needs his TE's free to run routes, and he needs a running game. There is talent to work with, Light and Koppen will return, and as you say rookies to mature, but I'm just not certain that will be enough because they were just not getting anything done consistently well from day 1.

The OL played against a fine offensive effort. They looked pretty good on pass defense starting the second half. In any case, I agree that problem is certainly not Dillon's.

I think that it amazing how good the line did perform over the past few weeks with
1) Light and Koppen out
2) Two rookies starting next to each other with a backup center
3) A backup LT (#3 or #4) starting
4) A medicore talent at RT

for 2006 compared to yesterday,

TACKLES
Light will be back
Kaycur will compete with Gorin for the RT spot
Kaycur will be much better, with experiece and another camp

CENTER
Koppen will be back
Hochstein is now a very experienced backup

GUARDS
Mankins will be much better, with experiece and another camp
Hochstein will compete with Neal (or whichever fa is signed) for the RG spot

OVERALL
The OL will be better because they will have consistency, with amybe four players playing together every week.
----------------------------

BOTTOM LINE
We will sign a couple of free agents, which could be Neal and Ashworth, and the OL will get better. But make no mistake, they did very well this year.

pats1 said:

You did not out play the Broncos in any area.

Your team got WORKED!

Deal with it! Loser.

Total yardage
Pats: 420 total yards for an avg. of 7.4 per play
Denv: 286 total yards for an avg. of 4.8 per play

Rushing yardage:
Pats: 79 yards for an avg. of 3.8 per play
Denv: 97 yards for an avg. of 3.0 per play

Passing yardage
Pats: 341 yards for an avg. of 9.5 per play
Denv: 197 yards for an avg. of 6.8 per play

Punting
Net punting avg:
Pats: 45.3
Denv: 39.5

ch3oh said:
Total yardage
Pats: 420 total yards for an avg. of 7.4 per play
Denv: 286 total yards for an avg. of 4.8 per play

Rushing yardage:
Pats: 79 yards for an avg. of 3.8 per play
Denv: 97 yards for an avg. of 3.0 per play

Passing yardage
Pats: 341 yards for an avg. of 9.5 per play
Denv: 197 yards for an avg. of 6.8 per play

Punting
Net punting avg:
Pats: 45.3
Denv: 39.5
It's a damn shame but it happens. Turnovers on the road will kill you.

The team playing from behind usually has better passing stats. It's called playing catch-up!

Haven't you ever watched a football game before? Jeeesh, you are a moron!

BusterTBronco said:
The team playing from behind usually has better passing stats. It's called playing catch-up!

Haven't you ever watched a football game before? Jeeesh, you are a moron!

Do you have any stats to back that up? I didn't think so.

What's the matter, don't you have the balls to go to the Colts or Steelers boards to pound on your chest and tell them how you are going to crush them.

Well, do ya, punk.

BusterTBronco said:
You did not out play the Broncos in any area.

Your team got WORKED!

Deal with it! Loser.

Please. The game was handed to the Broncos..that was clearly the case.

How sad because now the AFC Championship will be a dull one sided thrashing of the Broncos.

A tired act. We saw it for two consecutive weeks last year.

THEMAXX said:
Colts vs. Broncos....

Hahahaha you're reduced to hyping up the Colts??? Oh brother, as an NFL fan I would be embarrassed if I were you.

mgteich said:
The OL played against a fine offensive effort. They looked pretty good on pass defense starting the second half. In any case, I agree that problem is certainly not Dillon's.

I think that it amazing how good the line did perform over the past few weeks with
1) Light and Koppen out
2) Two rookies starting next to each other with a backup center
3) A backup LT (#3 or #4) starting
4) A medicore talent at RT

for 2006 compared to yesterday,

TACKLES
Light will be back
Kaycur will compete with Gorin for the RT spot
Kaycur will be much better, with experiece and another camp

CENTER
Koppen will be back
Hochstein is now a very experienced backup

GUARDS
Mankins will be much better, with experiece and another camp
Hochstein will compete with Neal (or whichever fa is signed) for the RG spot

OVERALL
The OL will be better because they will have consistency, with amybe four players playing together every week.
----------------------------

BOTTOM LINE
We will sign a couple of free agents, which could be Neal and Ashworth, and the OL will get better. But make no mistake, they did very well this year.

Unfortunately blanket assumptions about improvement will kill you. See 2005 Patriots secondary. Asante was MIA throughout the regular season and Gay and Poole couldn't get on the field. A pro bowl free safety in the making regressed dramatically after our pro bowl strong safety was lost. Wilfork floundered up to the bye. Seymours backup played like a backup.

I hope getting Koppen and Light back improves this Oline dramatically, I hope Kaczur and Mankins develop with experience as opposed to experiencing a sophomore slump, and I hope everybody stays healthy and gels because the longterm ramifications of using our versatile and valient backups for any length of time makes me queazy. And the possibility that gelling isn't all this unit needs makes me nauseaus.

Because to say the Oline did very well this year is a stretch. They pass blocked inconsistently and Brady took a beating all season as a result. A less savvy presence in the pocket would have been hospitalized so we dodged a bullet this season. They run blocked poorly most of the time. They required consistent TE help which severely crimped our receiving options. And that was out of the gate with just one rookie at LG and no backups. And that is a legitimate concern going forward.

Nothing is going to shut you up faster than the Broncos' next game. This one was a gift. A couple of better breaks and better calls and the score would have been reversed.

But it's been a wonderful season for the Patriots and for Patriot's fans. We have a great team to root for and it will be a force to reckon with next year. BB, SP and Bob Kraft want to build a team that will compete for the Superbowl year after year after year, and I think they have done just that.

I wish they would have won the game, but fumbles happen. So do bad calls. You never know what's going to happen in football, which is why it's worth watching. And I can't express enough admiration for our guys.

pats1 said:

Denver's D made alot of team's OL look bad this year. They load up 7-8 in the box and bring an extra man on most plays. 2 of the 5 on the OL were starters all year, Mankins & Neal. Ash/Hoch/& Gorin did perform well enough for the team to win, if we didn't give the ball away. This had a win written all over if we protected the ball, and we have won many games in the last several years using the same formula.

It wasn't Corey or the OL being the reason we lost, The Denver front 7 do not give up yards to anyone. With that said, Corey was either banged up all year or he has lost a step. He did not run all year with authority like he did in '04. But last night's performance for Corey and the OL was good enough to win.

IT"S THE TURNOVER'S!!!!!!!

MoLewisrocks said:
Unfortunately blanket assumptions about improvement will kill you. See 2005 Patriots secondary. Asante was MIA throughout the regular season and Gay and Poole couldn't get on the field. A pro bowl free safety in the making regressed dramatically after our pro bowl strong safety was lost. Wilfork floundered up to the bye. Seymours backup played like a backup.

I hope getting Koppen and Light back improves this Oline dramatically, I hope Kaczur and Mankins develop with experience as opposed to experiencing a sophomore slump, and I hope everybody stays healthy and gels because the longterm ramifications of using our versatile and valient backups for any length of time makes me queazy. And the possibility that gelling isn't all this unit needs makes me nauseaus.

Because to say the Oline did very well this year is a stretch. They pass blocked inconsistently and Brady took a beating all season as a result. A less savvy presence in the pocket would have been hospitalized so we dodged a bullet this season. They run blocked poorly most of the time. They required consistent TE help which severely crimped our receiving options. And that was out of the gate with just one rookie at LG and no backups. And that is a legitimate concern going forward.
Regarding the O-line:

Not counting garbage time:
NE played 4 different Left Tackles.
NE played 3 different Left Guards.
NE played 2 different Centers.
Neal stayed healthy.
NE played 3 different Right Tackles.
NE played 4 different Tight Ends.

Given that kind of turnover, NFL teams went all out to pressure Tommy, hitting him as often they could. It happens to be the only way to defense Tommy as Denver demonstrated last night, perhaps Charlie would have settled him down more, but he's going to be a target and he will need to do a better job of keeping his composure in the future. Frankly, last night's offensive adjustments took too long, Denver packed everybody down on the line and the QB/WRs never adjusted their hot routes to force Denver to back off.

Without breaking down any tape yet, last night's loss fell to the veterans: Brady, Brown, Faulk, Vinatieri all made critical mistakes. I hope they wind up feeling very embarrassed when they look back on this game, it should be useful for fueling the fires.

Mike, where did you start your breakdown?

Re: Denver game tape breakdown

First Half

Kickoff: Hobbs from 3 yards back in the endzone, 28 yd return, Hobbs stutters in the endzone, brings it up past a Heath Evans block before getting tripped up – Chatham missed the block and was visibly frustrated.

Offensive Series #1 Punt

Contributor: Pats1
Time: 15:00 remaining in the first quarter
Statistics: 5 plays (2 run, 3 pass), 10 yards (3 run, 12 pass, -5 penalty), time of possession was 3:19
Breakdown: 1 green play (0 run, 1 pass) for 9 yds. 1 black play (1 run, 0 pass) for 3 yds., 3 red plays (2 run, 1 pass) for 3 yds. (3 run, 0 pass), 5 penalty yds. lost for the Patriots.

1st and 10 NE 25

Result: Run, Dillon, left tackle, 2 yds.
Offense: 2 WR, Givens wide left, Branch wide right, 2 TE left, Graham down off LT, Watson down left wing, Dillon lone RB.
Defense: 4-3, CBs pressure coverage
Blocking: Watson pushes the SLB left and out of the hole
Graham can’t hold the edge against the DE Courtney Brown, who slides off the block and gets the tackle once Dillon comes by to Graham’s immediate left
Ashworth stands up the DT Gerard Warren, with eventual help from Neal
Mankins chips Warren into Ashworth before stumbling, off-balance downfield, for whatever reason
Hochstein quickly slams right, into the other DT Michael Myers, where he holds the block
Neal pulls left and helps out Ashworth with Warren
Gorin can’t hold the edge against the DE Trevor Pryce, but the tackle has already been made by the time Pryce gets over there

Analysis: Poor blocking here by Graham, who didn’t get position on the DE Brown. When Dillon took the hand off, Watson wasn’t in full control of the SLB on the edge, the MLB Al Wilson was closing in quick through his hole, and the WLB and the DE Pryce were already in pursuit from behind. Once Graham’s block collapsed, Dillon had absolutely nowhere to go but down. Mankins should have gotten Wilson instead of stumbling into oblivion, and Gorin, for the 10,000th time wasn’t able to hold a block on the edge.

2nd and 8 NE 27

Result: Pass, Branch, quick slant, 9 yds.
Offense: 3 WR, Givens wide left, Branch right slot, Davis wide right, Watson TE down off LT, Faulk RB offset right behind RT.
Defense: 4-2-5 nickel, NB pressure coverage, CBs 5 yards off the line
Blocking: Ashworth gets the DT chipped his way by Mankins, where Ashworth rides that DT outside and eventually drives him into the ground
Mankins picks up the stunting DE and rides him to the right of Brady
Hochstein and Neal control the other DE, who was chipped inside by Gorin
Gorin chips a DE inside before picking up the other DT stunting, on the edge
Coverage: Givens takes a short hook left with light CB coverage about 5 yards behind
Watson takes about a 15 yard flag, drawing coverage from the LLB, who came back in to make the tackle on Branch
Faulk comes out right, drawing coverage from the RLB
Branch has to stutter off the snap due to the RLB Wilson coming over to Faulk, but Branch uses Wilson as an obstacle for the NB, torching him inside, grabbing the bullet from Brady, and diving to get the first down.
Dwight occupies the other CB

Analysis: Denver only rushed 4, but the Patriots sent out 5 wide, pitting 1v1 coverage with a couple of safeties sitting back to help. Branch took advantage of the LB clearout (into coverage with Watson and Faulk) for the first down.

1st and 10 NE 36

Result: Pass, Evans, play action, screen left, 3 yds.
Offense: 1 WR, Branch wide right, TE Watson right wing (in motion from down off LT), Graham TE down off LT, Evans FB strong side, Dillon RB.
Defense: 4-3, ROLB pressure coverage on Watson right wing, CB showing blitz left wing, other CB on Branch 7 yards off the line.
Blocking: Ashworth holds the DE Brown on the edge
Mankins is beaten outside by the DT Warren who almost gets to Brady, but Mankins was able to push him just wide enough
Hochstein holds the other DT Myers, without penetration
Neal and Gorin hold the other DE Pryce without penetration
Coverage: Dillon receives the play action before coming through the line and sitting underneath with light coverage from the SLB
Evans takes the screen left, into the flat, with the CB that was showing blitz on the edge pushing him out after the quick catch
Watson draws the WLB and MLB in coverage
Branch has Champ Bailey in coverage

Analysis: All the play action did here was draw the CB long enough for Evans to get it, but the catch was made with too much momentum towards the sidelines for it to be turned upfield. Mankins pretty much blew his block, causing Brady to take the only open option with, again, a 4-man rush.

2nd and 7 NE 39

Result: Run, Dillon, left tackle, 1 yd.
Offense: 2 WR, Givens wide left, Branch right slot, 2 TE, Graham down off RT, Watson down right wing, Dillon lone RB.
Defense: 3-3-5 nickel, strange formation with the NB, WB, MLB, and SLB 5 yards off the line as linebackers, both CBs pressure coverage.
Blocking: Ashworth loses control of the DE Brown, but Watson pulls over and restores the block, but Dillon interestingly runs straight into Watson’s back and the play basically ends there
Mankins looks lost on this play, coming up at first just to notice the SLB has already shot the left edge of the line, where Mankins turns around and just starts picking through Watson’s and Ashworth’s block, leaving the MLB able to turn the left edge as well, but the play is long dead by then
Hochstein will quickly lose control of the NT Warren, letting him push the pile as well
Neal comes through the line and tries to get the MLB coming around the edge but can’t catch up
Gorin and Graham hold the DE Pryce from doing anything
Watson starts a motion behind the line on the snap and continues the pull left, where he helps Ashworth with the block on the DE, Brown, but Dillon runs into the block to stop the play

Analysis: Ugly, ugly play here. Dillon had a massive hole on the right side of the line with Graham and Gorin’s block, but it looks maybe to be covered from behind by the NB and WLB. Instead, he tries the left side of the line, where Ashworth and Watson have Courtney Brown, but that’s about it. Because Hochstein was losing control of Warren to Dillon’s right, and the SLB was coming on the edge to Dillon’s left, Dillon had to stop his momentum behind the line and just kind of dive forward. A yard is a generous gain. Mankins and Neal were useless on this play. The SLB would end up making the tackle on the edge, just to the left of Watson’s and Ashworth’s block. It was tough to even see the tackle with all the blue shirts in the vicinity of Dillon.

3rd and 6 NE 40

Result: PENALTY on NE-S.Neal, False Start, 5 yards, enforced at NE 40 - No Play.

Analysis: Neal was bobbing all over the place before the fatal twitch. Denver was bringing quite a blitz. It looked like he couldn’t hear the adjustment and then just guessed, early, from there.

3rd and 11 NE 25

Result: Pass, Branch, Incomplete, 10 yard hook, ball jarred loose by Al Wilson.
Offense: 4 WR, Davis wide left, Watson right wing (in motion from left slot), Branch right slot, Givens wide right, Faulk RB to the left of Brady in shotgun.
Defense: 3-3-5 nickel, SLB showing blitz left wing, WLB pressure coverage on Watson right wing, all 3 CBs pressure coverage.
Blocking: Ashworth holds the DE without penetration before Faulk takes over, and Ashworth will then shadow the LOLB, who is bobbing around in front of him
Mankins has no one to block as well, and will do the same as Ashworth, with the SLB
Hochstein, Neal, Gorin, and Watson hold the NT, other DE, and floating WLB without penetration
Coverage: Davisbrings a CB deep
Branch brings the NB 10 yards downfield and quickly dropping off, but has to wait an extra second for Brady to get the ball over, giving time for the zoned MLB, Wilson, to come up and hit Branch early, causing the ball to bounce away incomplete
Givens occupies the other CB

Analysis: While this was a non-called penalty, Brady, not under any pressure, should have thrown this ball earlier. Branch had to sit in his hook pattern, waiting for the ball.

4th and 11 NE 35

Result: Punt, Miller, to the Den 16, Adams gets taken down quickly by Mr. Hustle Lonie Paxton, 49 yd. punt,10 yd. return.

Score: New England 0 – Denver 0

Offensive Series #2 Downs

Contributor: Pats1
Time: 9:21 remaining in the first quarter
Statistics: 7 plays (3 run, 4 pass), 29 yards (16 run, 18 pass, -5 penalty), time of possession was 3:54
Breakdown: 3 green plays (1 run, 2 pass) for 29 yds. (11 run, 18 pass), 1 black play (1 run, 0 pass) for 4 yds., 3 red plays (1 run, 2 pass) for 1 yds. (1 run, 0 pass), 5 penalty yds. lost for the Patriots.

1st and 10 NE 35

Result: Pass, Fauria, Incomplete, 5 yard out, pass underthrown under pressure, dropped.
Offense: 5 WR, Faulk wide left (in motion), Givens left slot, Fauria left wing, Watson right wing, Branch wide right
Defense: 3-3-5 nickel, DE over Fauria stands up before the snap, WLB pressure coverage on Watson, Lynch showing blitz just outside of Watson, CBs 5-7 yards off the line.
Blocking: Ashworth is easily beaten outside by the DE Warren, who slams Brady along with Lynch during the throw
Mankins couldn’t exactly contain the NT Myers, who chipped Mankins left and jumped up to possibly make a tip on the ball
Hochstein was in the process of getting beaten outside by a stunting DE Veal
Neal and Gorin push around the blitzing WLB Gold
Coverage: Faulk goes deep, with the CB staying stationary and releasing Faulk at 10 yards
Givens takes a 5 yard out with Faulk’s CB in light coverage from behind
Fauria fakes the SLB/DE Brown inside before quickly turning outside and having to turn back inside to catch the possibly tipped ball, where Fauria makes the catch on the ground, one that the officials huddled to talk about before ruling it incomplete
Watson goes right and draws coverage from the MLB
Branch draws coverage from the other CB, Bailey

Analysis: Before the snap, the Pats were having problems communicating, with Brady making adjustments with the DE standing up and Lynch jumping around and pointing on the edge. Watson and Fauria both leaned in to listen. Watson probably should have picked up Lynch on the edge, which wouldn’t have mattered anyway since Ashworth couldn’t block the DE on the other side. Brady was sandwiched and forced to make a throw that Fauria had to turn around and dive to catch, and a throw that might have been tipped at the line. Poor blocking strikes again.

2nd and 10 NE 35

Result: Pass, Branch, 5 yard in, 9 yds.
Offense: Shotgun 4 WR, Branch wide left, Brown left slot, Watson right wing (stood up after adjustments), Givens wide right, Dillon RB to left of Brady in shotgun.
Defense: 4-1-6 dime, S Lynch and S Brandon showing blitz right wing, LB Wilson showing blitz over Neal, S Ferguson showing blitz over Mankins, all 3 CBs 5 yards off.
Blocking: Ashworth rides a DE outside
Mankins drives the a DT into the ground with the help of Neal
Hochstein holds the other DT without penetration
Neal bounces into the LB Wilson before helping Mankins with his DT
Gorin holds the other DE without penetration
Watson picks up the blitzing S Brandon
Dillon ducks down and lays a nice block on the S Ferguson
Coverage: Branch takes quick drag underneath, catches the strike from Brady, and is caught between a CB in front of him and the LB coming up from behind him, where Branch starts running left before Brandon comes up from behind and stops Branch prior to getting the first down
Brown goes deep, attracting the NB
Givens has single CB coverage on the other side of the field

Analysis: The Pats’ 7-man blitz pickup team had only Lynch coming in off the edge, the 8th blitzer, unblocked. Branch cut underneath the CBs playing off the line but the Bronco defenders were able to swarm and stop him to set up 3rd and 1.

3rd and 1 NE 44

Result: Run, Dillon, right tackle, 11 yds.
Offense: 3 TE, Watson standing right wing (in motion to Brady and back), Fauria down off LT, Graham down off RT, I-form backfield with Evans at FB and Dillon at RB.
Defense: 3-4, 2 OLBs over left wing, 2 MLBs behind the line, DBs floating around on the wings.
Blocking: Fauria can’t knock down a LB on the edge and falls forward, but that LB is too far from the run
Ashworth slants right and knocks the other LB on the edge off-balance before falling to the ground in the stampede
Mankins slants right but is pushed down by the stampede on the left side of the line, but takes down a Bronco in the process
Hochstein drives a DE forward before being swallowed by the stampede
Neal has a MLB dive into his feet before the stampede claims another victim
Gorin is able to keep his footing and drive the NT Warren right and out of Dillon’s way
Graham and Watson easily take care of the other DE on the edge, but Graham wasn’t able to break off in time once Watson helped out to block a DB for Dillon
Evans is the lead blocker and turns around to check for Dillon, allowing the S Ferguson to come up and make a textbook tackle on Dillon

Analysis: By the time Dillon got the first down (1 yd.), 4/5 of the Pats’ OL and half of the Bronco defenders (all 3 DL and all 4 LBs) were on their faces as Dillon ran wild into the secondary. If Evans was to take care of Ferguson, and Graham another DB (Bailey was the closest), Dillon probably would have sprung this one for 6 on the board. For Denver, having a plethora of box-dwellers killed them here.

1st and 10 Den 45

Result: PENALTY on NE-L.Mankins, False Start, 5 yards, enforced at DEN 45 - No Play.
Offense: 2 WR, Branch wide left, Givens wide right, 2 TE down off LT, Dillon lone RB.
Defense: 4-3, LOLB pressure coverage on left wing, both CBs pressure coverage.

Analysis: Once Gerard Warren stood up and started to point at Mankins, the yellow flags miraculously flew. Did Mankins make any visible movements from the camera view? Nope. Could he have lifted a finger or something to that effect? Probably.

1st and 15 Midfield

Result: Pass, Dillon, play action, screen left, 9 yds., pass thrown under pressure.
Offense: 3 WR, Givens wide right, Watson left slot (in motion from wide left), Branch wide left, Graham TE down off RT, Dillon lone RB.
Defense: 4-2-5 nickel, S Ferguson showing blitz right wing, both CBs 5 yards off, NB pressure coverage following Watson in motion.
Blocking: Ashworth rides a DE wide
Mankins chips a DT inside before coming out and pivoting for position on the LLB, but is only able to get a push, allowing that LB to chase Dillon off the screen and make the tackle downfield
Hochstein tries to corral a DT but breaks off seeing the RLB blitzing through, with ultimately both defenders getting to Brady, forcing the throw, and Hochstein left chasing the play
Neal is manhandled quickly with a quick move from a DT, who is one of many rushers in Brady’s face
Gorin is able to hold his DE fairly well with only some penetration
Graham picks up the blitzing S Ferguson

Analysis: Funny how the referees can spot a miniscule false start but ignore a Bronco DE, over Gorin, lunging forward early and still clearly being in the neutral zone on the snap. Heck, you could even call the “unnatural act to get the offense to false start” on him! What’s not funny is how on one play, Dillon has some nice blocking and can run free, but on the next, containment of a defender is a near-impossible task. I’m calling this a play action, just because of Brady’s spinning motion to Dillon, who stopped shortly thereafter before going out on the screen, but it wasn’t the traditional fake. It’s also possible Brady ran into Dillon, who might not have known of the play action. Brady had to throw off his back foot, but the pass was still perfect to the emergency man, Dillon. Neal showed his usual hustle racing down with Dillon, but there were DBs swarming towards Dillon even before the tackle was made. They also would have stopped the play if Mankins to get position on the LLB Gold.

2nd and 6 Den 41

Result: Run, Faulk, up the middle, 4 yds.
Offense: 2 WR, Givens wide right, Branch wide left, 2 TE down off RT, Faulk lone RB.
Defense: 4-2-5 nickel, S Brandon showing blitz right wing, S Ferguson creeping up to the line left wing, both CBs 5 yards off.
Blocking: Ashworth holds a DT on the edge
Mankins spins around before getting tackled to the ground by a DE
Hochstein comes out and seals a DE just off the line, left
Neal drives a DT left and out of the hole
Gorin spins around, chasing the overpursuing RLB
Graham slides a DE inside, where that DE, for whatever reason, jumps on Mankins back and drives him into the ground (C. Brown though, not Ekuban, who Mankins gave the punch to)
Watson holds the S Brandon on the edge

Analysis: The LLB Gold and S Ferguson were waiting for Faulk in the hole. Lynch wasn’t far behind. Mankins should have come out through the hole and taken care of Gold, but he felt like playing ballerina this fine January night.

3rd and 2 Den 37

Result: Run, Faulk, right tackle, 1 yd.
Offense: 4 WR, Davis wide left, Watson – Givens – Branch stack right wing, Faulk lone RB.
Defense: 4-1-6 dime, Wilson, Lynch, and Brandon off the line as basically linebackers, all 3 CBs 5 yards off the line.
Blocking: Ashworth steps inside too wide but is able to recover and hold the DE on the edge
Mankins pulls right and slams Lynch right and out of Faulk’s ‘hole’
Hochstein loses control of his DT when Neal slides left into Hochstein’s way, and that DT will come over to the run but is pushed away by Watson
Neal drives his DT left and out of the ‘hole’
Gorin, with the help of Watson, gets a DE to his knees and away from the run
Watson chips Gorin’s DE but it’s already too late to block the LB Wilson and S Brandon coming in on the tackle
Givens blocks the NB 10 yards downfield of the run, allowing the S Brandon to come in on the tackle
Branch and Davisblock their CBs

Analysis: 3rd down…1 yard to go…where’s Dillon?!? Brady would set up in the shotgun, but come up and make adjustments before coming under center. I really have to question the playcalling here. They didn’t trick the Broncos. Plain and simple. If you’re going to go for the first down running, get Dillon in there and get him some blockers. If you’re going to go for the first down passing, keep a blocker or two in and spread it out. Faulk had no chance on this play, even with a 3 WR stack on the right side of the line. The OL blocking was close to perfect, but Watson was useless. Wilson and Brandon simply clogged the hole unblocked, quickly taking Faulk down. Branch and Givens had their assignments, but they allowed the two closer tacklers to get to Faulk. Watson had the assignment to chip Gorin’s DE, but that had him coming out too late to make a lead block for Faulk – all it would have took for a first.

4th and 1 Den 36

Result: Pass, Fauria, Incomplete, 5 yard out, pass thrown behind Fauria and under pressure.
Offense: Shotgun 5 WR, Watson wide left (in motion from left wing), Givens left slot (in motion from wide left), Fauria left wing, Faulk right slot (in motion from backfield), Branch wide right.
Defense: 4-1-6 dime, DE Brown stands up to pressure coverage left wing, LB Wilson and S Lynch showing blitz right wing, CB over Givens pressure coverage, other 3 CBs 5 yards off.
Blocking: Ashworth was in the process of being beat outside by the DE when Brady was forced to throw quickly
Mankins and Hochstein hold the NT
Neal picks up a DE but was also in the process of being beat inside
Gorin picks up the blitzing LB and drives him into the ground
Coverage: Davisgoes deep, drawing a CB
Givens takes a short out, drawing a CB
Fauria takes a short out and beats the DE Brown, but the pass is thrown too far behind Fauria, and even a turn-back and dive couldn’t help it.
Branch takes a short hook underneath a CB, but Lynch would have been in the way of the throw
Faulk goes deep, drawing a CB

Analysis: The Pats came out in a 2 WR set before changing it up into a 5 WR set. The Broncos would blitz 5, but because of the double team on the NT, Lynch was free to come in on Brady. A noticeably hasty throw was made by Brady, who was knocked by Lynch into Ashworth, sending Brady to the ground. How long did Brady have? About a second and a half. Why did Brady have a big smile (at least it looks like it) on his face while butting facemasks with Lynch immediately after the play? I’ll leave that up to you.

Score: New England 0 – Denver 0

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey