PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Dennard Sentenced to 30 days + 100 hours Community Service

Status
Not open for further replies.
I read the story. You, apparently, don't understand the difference between investigating and punishing.

Do you understand what standing means? You clearly stated that the league office does not have standing. Guess what pal, they do.

Do you understand what standing means? You clearly stated that the league office does not have standing. Guess what pal, they do.

I'm quite familiar with what standing is, thanks for asking. You seem baffled by it, though. Let me give you a tip....

The Sierra Club can investigate pretty much any activity of the U.S. Government then choose to, up to a point. That doesn't mean that they'll have standing to sue about the activity in a court of law.

I hope that helps.

Re: Dennard Sentence

27 days. If he sees 14 thats about it. To be honest. its still too much.

best of luck fonzy.

Yep. It's an injustice.

But if that were the limit of injustices in this country, we'd all be delighted. So I'm OK with feeling sorry for the poor guy and moving on.

A month of jail time is still plenty of time to get to know 'Bubba'. Hopefully Dennard keeps to himself and remembers not to drop the soap!!! :p

As a Criminal Justice major and currently applying to police departments in CT, I can tell you that Dennard is getting off easy for this which is a good thing for us.

I cant stand Stamford Cops - don't be one... ;)

Ok - We are so glad that you think you know what you are talking about then.

This time DI is 100% on the money.

You dont get to personally determine whether or not you have 'standing'. That is a JUDGE's decision (or an appeals court). The quote originally started with was a media 'transcription-service' of an NFL SPOKESMAN. Of course he and Go-to-Hell will claim they have authority they dont necessarily have. (plus saying you will 'look into something' doesnt mean you are going to do a darn thing.

AS TO THE WHOLE PRYOR PARALLEL: From FOX story from way back:
pryor suspension was NOT an imposed punishment - but rather a MUTUALLY AGREED TO CONDITION OF draft eligibility.

But NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said the league is “enforcing our own rules” rather than carrying over the NCAA’s suspension. “Pryor made decisions that undermined the integrity of our draft eligibility rules,” Aiello told FOXSports.com in an email. “He skipped the regular draft. He then made himself ineligible for college football.

“Our rules have never been based on the notion a college player could choose to violate NCAA rules, obtain a declaration that he is ineligible to play and then be rewarded by entering the NFL draft. He is not getting a free pass into the NFL.”

The five-game suspension was a condition given Pryor by NFL commissioner Roger Goodell for entry into the supplemental draft. Pryor, who can attend player meetings during that stretch, was amenable to the mandate.

So COMPLETELY DIFFERENT CASES. Dennard was never given nor consented to any limitations on his NFL draft entry based on prior conduct.

A suspension WOULD be PRECEDENT SETTING.

as a criminal injustice major, majoring in Goodelian RICO acts, I find the sentence to be a preposterous, country cornpone, Barney Fife from Mayberry, kangaroo court travesty....can't wait for the Nebraska Chamber of Commerce to launch their latest summer tourism ad....

Kneebrasker! Yee Haw!! Come on vacation...leave on probation!! Make sure to stop in Lincoln and see the world's largest white sheet and cone!!!

images

Gumby - What is the one thing that the NFL has that 99.9% of all for-profit associations don't enjoy?

Their ability to take standing regarding disciplinary matters is a part of that enjoyment through collective bargaining agreements.

This time DI is 100% on the money.

You dont get to personally determine whether or not you have 'standing'. That is a JUDGE's decision (or an appeals court). The quote originally started with was a media 'transcription-service' of an NFL SPOKESMAN. Of course he and Go-to-Hell will claim they have authority they dont necessarily have. (plus saying you will 'look into something' doesnt mean you are going to do a darn thing.

AS TO THE WHOLE PRYOR PARALLEL: From FOX story from way back:
pryor suspension was NOT an imposed punishment - but rather a MUTUALLY AGREED TO CONDITION OF draft eligibility.

So COMPLETELY DIFFERENT CASES. Dennard was never given nor consented to any limitations on his NFL draft entry based on prior conduct.

A suspension WOULD be PRECEDENT SETTING.

The highlighted portion of your post is absolutely untrue, and you should realize that given what happened with the Saints situation and the smackdown Goodell received on multiple fronts in that one.

You should realize that as of February 20th - well after the Saints suspensions were overturned, NFL spokesman Greg Aiello was very clear in stating that the NFL most definately would review Dennard's conviction.

NFL will review Dennard conviction under conduct policy | ProFootballTalk

That doesn't mean they will suspend him - but it does mean they believe they have standing to do so, as they had also made clear previous to February 20th (if you need me to I can find a link to that as well)

Dennard reports to serve his 30 days...with the TWO YEAR suspended hanging over his head...as he's being processed, Buford Pendergraft, jail bailiff and loyal supporter of the KKK going back five generations, slaps Dennard with a backhand in the head...Dennard reacts...HOT DYAM!!! We're a goin' to another hangin'!!!! O dee camptown ladies two by two ..doo dah doo dah.......Dennard gets violated,remanded and forced to serve the ENTIRE TWO YEAR SENTENCE without any chance of parole...pesky 32-F violation(as its known in RI)....yippe ki-ay!!!! mf'ers...Dennard should have been charged with disorderly conduct, fined and given six months probation...just like any other college age kid from any campus I've ever heard of...I'm a white man of Irish/Italian ancestry and I smell the distinct rotting smell of racial bigotry in this case.

2/3 of the rank and file of the KKK is situated in the deep south...the other third is squarely from the midwest, Nebraska ,Oklahoma, Arkansas and Texas.If I was Dennard's agent I'd have my lawyers petitioning the court for a change of venue as far as jail time is concerned...let him serve the 30 days up here in Massachusetts.As long as he does his time, why would anybody in Lincoln,Nebraska object to that?

Dennard reports to serve his 30 days...with the TWO YEAR suspended hanging over his head...as he's being processed, Buford Pendergraft, jail bailiff and loyal supporter of the KKK going back five generations, slaps Dennard with a backhand in the head...Dennard reacts...HOT DYAM!!! We're a goin' to another hangin'!!!! O dee camptown ladies two by two ..doo dah doo dah.......Dennard gets violated,remanded and forced to serve the ENTIRE TWO YEAR SENTENCE without any chance of parole...pesky 32-F violation(as its known in RI)....yippe ki-ay!!!! mf'ers...Dennard should have been charged with disorderly conduct, fined and given six months probation...just like any other college age kid from any campus I've ever heard of...I'm a white man of Irish/Italian ancestry and I smell the distinct rotting smell of racial bigotry in this case.

2/3 of the rank and file of the KKK is situated in the deep south...the other third is squarely from the midwest, Nebraska ,Oklahoma, Arkansas and Texas.If I was Dennard's agent I'd have my lawyers petitioning the court for a change of venue as far as jail time is concerned...let him serve the 30 days up here in Massachusetts.As long as he does his time, why would anybody in Lincoln,Nebraska object to that?

Don't get me going or I'll start in on the stupid-ass drug laws in this country that could have seen me and many of my friends end up in jail for 5 to 10.

You should realize that as of February 20th - well after the Saints suspensions were overturned, NFL spokesman Greg Aiello was very clear in stating that the NFL most definately would review Dennard's conviction.

NFL will review Dennard conviction under conduct policy | ProFootballTalk

That doesn't mean they will suspend him - but it does mean they believe they have standing to do so, as they had also made clear previous to February 20th (if you need me to I can find a link to that as well)

Two things:

First, it doesn't matter what Aiello claims. It matters what the law is. Also, the article you cited doesn't even say that the NFL is claiming authority to act. It merely states that the NFL will review it. I can review whether or not you committed a crime last Friday. That doesn't mean that I can charge you with that crime and legally enforce a punishment.

Second, the issue in question isn't actually standing, but jurisdiction (other issues would also be involved).

In this case, in order for Dennard to be punished by the commissioner, the NFL will have to demonstrate that the CBA acceptably grants the commissioner jurisdiction over a person who was not a party to the signing of the CBA and was not a member of the covered union at the time of the CBAs ratification. Furthermore, the NFL would have to convince a court this was true despite the fact that the CBA did not explicitly grant the commisioner to impose any such discipline, would have to overcome the problem of duration, and would have to justify the imposition of a retroactive penalty for something that was not applicable to the party at the time of the offense.

In this case, in order for Dennard to be punished by the commissioner, the NFL will have to demonstrate that the CBA acceptably grants the commissioner jurisdiction over a person who was not a party to the signing of the CBA and was not a member of the covered union at the time of the CBAs ratification. Furthermore, the NFL would have to convince a court this was true despite the fact that the CBA did not explicitly grant the commisioner to impose any such discipline, would have to overcome the problem of duration, and would have to justify the imposition of a retroactive penalty for something that was not applicable to the party at the time of the offense.

OK....anybody with a bona fide juris doctor would have to be drunk or gone insane or both to seriously consider bringing this to court. That being said, this is Goodell we're talking about here...so I wouldn't rule ANYTHING out.

The NFL has standing to review. Period. The jurisdiction is within the CBA.

You called out JoeSixPat by stating that his post was "untrue" because he said "They've already stated that they will review his felony conviction - so any argument that the NFL has no standing to further discipline is already out the window".

This has been documented in the ESPN story that was reported and posted.

And now, you are claiming that it doesn't matter what Aiello has stated?

Aiello speaks for the league office.

While it is unlikely that the league office is going to impose punishment, doesn't mean that the league office doesn't have standing to determine if further punishment cannot be furnished.

You must always think you are right. Right?

Two things:

First, it doesn't matter what Aiello claims. It matters what the law is. Also, the article you cited doesn't even say that the NFL is claiming authority to act. It merely states that the NFL will review it. I can review whether or not you committed a crime last Friday. That doesn't mean that I can charge you with that crime and legally enforce a punishment.

Second, the issue in question isn't actually standing, but jurisdiction (other issues would also be involved).

The NFL has standing to review. Period. The jurisdiction is within the CBA.

Please feel free to show us all this authorization of "standing" (it's jurisdiction, not standing) in the CBA, demonstrate how it applies in this case, and show us a case on point where it's been upheld in a court of law.

You called out JoeSixPat by stating that his post was "untrue" because he said "They've already stated that they will review his felony conviction - so any argument that the NFL has no standing to further discipline is already out the window".

Of course.

This has been documented in the ESPN story that was reported and posted.

No, it wasn't. Words mean things in cases such as this one, and you don't seem to have a grasp of what was actually written.

And now, you are claiming that it doesn't matter what Aiello has stated?

Yes, in context

Aiello speaks for the league office.

Naturally, since he's the league spokesman

While it is unlikely that the league office is going to impose punishment, doesn't mean that the league office doesn't have standing to determine if further punishment cannot be furnished.

This is actually a correct statement made by you. However, it's not inconsistent with anything I've said, either. The league attempting, or not attempting, to impose punishment does not mean that the league/commissioner actually has the jurisdiction (again, it's not actually standing, but jurisdiction) to do so. Again, the Saints case should have demonstrated this to you quite clearly.

You must always think you are right. Right?

No

....anybody with a bona fide juris doctor would have to be drunk or gone insane or both to seriously consider bringing this to court. That being said, this is Goodell we're talking about here...so I wouldn't rule ANYTHING out.

While I'm not a fan of Goodell and wouldn't put anything past him, I'd be very surprised if he risked another legal/CBA asskicking over this issue. it would pretty much be a no win situation for him at this point, and the NFLPA has now shown that they'll go to court to stake out their turf even within type of gray shadings of the CBA like we saw in the bounty case. Vilma & Co. made Goodell look like a clown, and even Tagliabue smacked him down a bit while bailing him out as best he could.

ARTICLE 46 - COMMISSIONER DISCIPLINE
Section 1. League Discipline: Notwithstanding anything stated in Article 43:

(a) All disputes involving a fine or suspension imposed upon a player for conduct on the playing field (other than as described in Subsection (b) below) or involving action taken against a player by the Commissioner for conduct detrimental to the integrity of, or public confidence in, the game of professional football, will be processed exclusively as follows: the Commissioner will promptly send written notice of his action to the player, with a copy to the NFLPA. Within three (3) business days following such written notification, the player affected thereby, or the NFLPA with the player’s approval, may appeal in writing to the Commissioner.

This is the jurisdiction with the CBA for the Commissioner to review and to subscribe to the power within Section I of Article 46.

And unlike the New Orleans Saints disaster, there is a public record regarding the Dennard incident, as a member of the NFLPA and the New England Patriots, while Dennard was in the league.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes