PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Dennard Sentenced to 30 days + 100 hours Community Service

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Dennard Sentence

He reports for jail beginning on March 1, 2014, so we'll have him for the entire season this year, including offseason workouts.

Sounds like he got screwed but, we'll see most of our coverage as pro patriot. So not sure we'd have the same outlook if he were a jet. But, Dennard seems like a good kid. Hopefully he doesn't end up in there for too long. Goodell would be a hugehypocrite to suspend him.

Called it:

Per Breer

NFL will now review the Alfonzo Dennard situation. Could be a precedent-setter on discipline for players in the draft pool.

So it is time to set precedent by breaking precedent already set because the precedent was set in the case of a JEST player. Now it's the evil Patriots so we need to ignore what has been established and change the rules to screw them over.

Yes - but I'm sure everyone is aware that Goodell HAS suspended players for incidences that occured BEFORE they were in the NFL before.

He's also NOT suspended players in the past - so no surprise, Goodell has been inconsistent.

So we do need to wait until they make a statement to celebrate.

Would it surprise anyone if he gave a Jets player a pass, but suspended a Patriots player - both of whom had run-ins with the law PRIOR to joining the NFL?

ummm, NO. I am not aware of that. Please identify WHO, WHAT, WHEN, WHERE, WHY?

The only guys I was aware of were not PUNISHED (suspended) for CONDUCT before becoming NFL players, but rather punished for CONDUCT that FALSELY IMPACTED THEIR ELIGIBILITY (hid their ineligibility) to be drafted by the NFL.

Everyone knew about his incident which OCCURRED BEFORE THE DRAFT; so this is not in the same ball-park.

Go-To-Hell suspending Dennard would be ( IMO ) a PRECEDENT. Not one I wouldn't put past him; but a precedent none-the-less.

If you have a specific case that I am missing knowledge of- please at least give me a name (url always better - but name is fine.) Thanks.

30 days is not bad at all, and you can consider that 100 hours of community service is almost already worked into his Patriots contract. Im glad the Pats have him, but it sucks that he punched a cop.

Called it:

Per Breer

So it is time to set precedent by breaking precedent already set because the precedent was set in the case of a JEST player. Now it's the evil Patriots so we need to ignore what has been established and change the rules to screw them over.

Didn't they look into the Ellis situation before deciding not to do anything about it?

I'm sure the Patriots will bring up that Ellis nearly killed a guy and got a longer jail sentence with no NFL punishment.

I'm sure the Patriots will bring up that Ellis nearly killed a guy and got a longer jail sentence with no NFL punishment.

Yeah - but that was just a civilian, which is fine nobody cares.

Hitting a cop causes moral outrage and histrionics about how the current generation is terrible and the baby boomers demand some over the top retribution for the boys in blue (who aren't even in the top 10 most dangerous jobs, btw)

And no, I don't hate cops, I hate double standards. One of my better friends is a cop.

my belief is that he won't be disciplined by the NFL

he already paid the price by dropping to the 7th round......he was supposed to have been a 2nd rounder, and if he was, would have gotten substantially more money than he would have.

the guy has/is going to pay a price for his mistake

it is time to move on

Boy, some of you who are saying he got too much are really F'd up.

He hit a cop, plain and simple.

I don't care if he plays on my team. He got about as light as he could have gotten. Anyone who says different needs to step back and evaluate their priorities.:confused:

I'm happy it was light but you don't hit a cop.

Boy, some of you who are saying he got too much are really F'd up.

He hit a cop, plain and simple.

I don't care if he plays on my team. He got about as light as he could have gotten. Anyone who says different needs to step back and evaluate their priorities.:confused:

I'm happy it was light but you don't hit a cop.

Some pigs I mean cops beat the crap out of people for little to no reason, I got no problem with people hitting a cop especially if its deserving.

My first thought.....Humble Pie-30 Days In The Hole - YouTube

beavis-butthead-6-7.gif

Second thought....Not bad could have been worse.

Note that Shaliza says he will serve the prison time in March 2014, following the 2013 season.

That is correct - 2014 - he misses no voluntary workouts or anything in 2013. It gives his lawyer a year to ask for the sentence to be reduced to time served if he keeps his nose clean. I'd like to read the conditions of his probation.

If Dennard has a brain in his head, he should spend some time helping troubled youth in Lincoln NE whenever his schedule permits, and put some Patriots tickets plus airfare and hotel into the silent auction at the Policeman's Ball to demonstrate he is one of the good guys.

Henchman Goodell should keep his hands off of this one - the player was not in the NFL when it happened, he complied with everything the court requested, he's stayed out of trouble for 12 months already, and he has a golden opportunity to put this behind him.

If he'd punched a Pittsburgh cop, they would have given him the electric chair after the Sanders shenanigans.

Some pigs I mean cops beat the crap out of people for little to no reason, I got no problem with people hitting a cop especially if its deserving.

Grow up. You sound like a child.

That is correct - 2014 - he misses no voluntary workouts or anything in 2013. It gives his lawyer a year to ask for the sentence to be reduced to time served if he keeps his nose clean. I'd like to read the conditions of his probation.

If Dennard has a brain in his head, he should spend some time helping troubled youth in Lincoln NE whenever his schedule permits, and put some Patriots tickets plus airfare and hotel into the silent auction at the Policeman's Ball to demonstrate he is one of the good guys.

Henchman Goodell should keep his hands off of this one - the player was not in the NFL when it happened, he complied with everything the court requested, he's stayed out of trouble for 12 months already, and he has a golden opportunity to put this behind him.

If he'd punched a Pittsburgh cop, they would have given him the electric chair after the Sanders shenanigans.

Agreed, but if I know commish GOD-dell, he won't..... Especially to the Patriots.

my belief is that he won't be disciplined by the NFL

he already paid the price by dropping to the 7th round......he was supposed to have been a 2nd rounder, and if he was, would have gotten substantially more money than he would have.

the guy has/is going to pay a price for his mistake

it is time to move on

I agree completely. Also, it may be recognized he's been a model citizen for a year now without any issues.

Could have been a whole lot worse....

2z3nnf4.jpg

There are going to be some people on this board who will be very unhappy and angry about this good news.

An impetuous act of a young man, who will now pay the price. I was hoping for probation, but this is far from what could have been.

Dennard has paid a significant price. Here's hoping he begins his redemption by becoming the best professional CB he can be.

Leave it on the field. Tackle the Ravens wideout. Tackle Eric Decker.

ummm, NO. I am not aware of that. Please identify WHO, WHAT, WHEN, WHERE, WHY?

The only guys I was aware of were not PUNISHED (suspended) for CONDUCT before becoming NFL players, but rather punished for CONDUCT that FALSELY IMPACTED THEIR ELIGIBILITY (hid their ineligibility) to be drafted by the NFL.

Everyone knew about his incident which OCCURRED BEFORE THE DRAFT; so this is not in the same ball-park.

Go-To-Hell suspending Dennard would be ( IMO ) a PRECEDENT. Not one I wouldn't put past him; but a precedent none-the-less.

If you have a specific case that I am missing knowledge of- please at least give me a name (url always better - but name is fine.) Thanks.

His name is Terrell Pryor - He was suspended by Goodell for five games for violations of NCAA policy (from before he was drafted)

The NFL has already stated they will review the Dennard conviction and reserves the right to take disciplinary action against him under their interpretation of their own NFL conduct policy, which was upheld in their 5 game suspension of Pryor.

So arguments that they can't take action against Dennard because it was before he was drafted have already been rejected by the league office.

NFL will review Dennard conviction under conduct policy | ProFootballTalk

Personally I don't think Goodell has a leg to stand on in Dennard's case but Goodell doesn't tend to care what players or fans think.

But while Pryor's suspension and Dennard's potential suspension are both unique, Goodell's a lawyer and is pretty good at finding some way to justify whatever he wants to do, seeing as he DID suspend Pryor and did NOT suspend Ellis.

If he wants to suspend Dennard all he'd have to do is cite the Felony conviction for Dennard as opposed to what wound up being a Misdemeanor assault for Ellis. That's my worry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes