PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Dennard pleads Not Guilty

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dennard isn't going to get any prison time. You don't get prison time for punching a cop and causing a scene. Nobody was killed, or stabbed, or put in the hospital. Nobody was robbed or had their life threatened. If anything, he'll get sentenced to 30-days of community service, pay a fine, and have to take an anger management class. This isn't an offense that warrants jail time.

Chances are though, the charges will be dropped. It will be settled out of court, and we'll never hear about it ever again. That's what ALWAYS happens in cases like this.

I think people are simply over-blowing this story. Too many hens are clucking in the chicken-coop.

I doubt those charges get dropped. Reduced to a misdemeanor with probation and maybe some community service, yes, but assault on a police officer probably isn't going away any easier. Otherwise it could set a precedent in the community that you can tee off on the cops and nothing will happen to you. No way they are going to let that perception rule.

I doubt those charges get dropped. Reduced to a misdemeanor with probation and maybe some community service, yes, but assault on a police officer probably isn't going away any easier. Otherwise it could set a precedent in the community that you can tee off on the cops and nothing will happen to you. No way they are going to let that perception rule.

You may be right, but I think at the end of the day, this will be a non-story with no long-lasting effects to Dennard and his standing with the Patriots. Just my opinion.

You may be right, but I think at the end of the day, this will be a non-story with no long-lasting effects to Dennard and his standing with the Patriots. Just my opinion.

I certainly feel as though you could be correct in this one.

I would also disagree with the thought that the charges getting dropped, or lessened to the point that a statement on some level is not made, but I am in agreement that it is not 1/2 as big of a deal as some are making it out to be.

Hopefully it will either be taken care of by Sept., or postponed a couple/few times until Jan/Feb.

Perhaps I (and some others) were a bit quick to rush to judgement in regards to Dennard's character.

Dennard's good deed overshadowed by legal trouble | CSNNE.com | Mary Paoletti

A lone public appearance has gone largely under the radar -- last weekend's first annual Alfonzo Dennard Scholarship Fundraiser Basketball Tournament in Georgia.

The event, at his alma mater's Wilcox County High gym, raised funds "to provide financial assistance to college-bound student athletes from the South Georgia region." It's not a community service obligation or PR stunt; Dennard dreamed up the fund well before his April 21 arrest.

It may not be seen that way, however. If anybody hears about it at all.

Perhaps I (and some others) were a bit quick to rush to judgement in regards to Dennard's character.

Dennard's good deed overshadowed by legal trouble | CSNNE.com | Mary Paoletti

A lone public appearance has gone largely under the radar -- last weekend's first annual Alfonzo Dennard Scholarship Fundraiser Basketball Tournament in Georgia.

The event, at his alma mater's Wilcox County High gym, raised funds "to provide financial assistance to college-bound student athletes from the South Georgia region." It's not a community service obligation or PR stunt; Dennard dreamed up the fund well before his April 21 arrest.

It may not be seen that way, however. If anybody hears about it at all.

I think the truth is that we just don't have enough of a sample size to make any kind of determination as of yet, therefore we should give him the benefit of the doubt and chalk this specific charge up to being a kid and making a poor choice. When I think of some of the poor decisions that I made in my late teens and early 20's it makes me shudder; but I wouldn't want to be defined by those choices either.

Stories like this one are definitely a step in the right direction, and may give us a glimpse inside his true character, possibly much more than a college drunken barfight.

On top of that, I would imagine that the high character attitudes inside the locker room and coaching staff could be extremely contagious for young, impressionable players like Dennard. That may be the best thing going for him IF he was on the fence at all coming onto the team.

I think the thing we have to remember is that kids make poor choices sometimes. We also should remember that fights happen, especially in a drinking establishment. Hopefully Dennard learned from this lesson, and we can get a steal of a 7th round pick, b/c I honestly would have picked him every single time, maybe even in the 5th or 6th round based off his talent alone.

The NFL Draft often take the term 'character concerns' to a whole new level. Just like Patriots fans set too much stock in the 'Patriot Way'. This kid should never have dropped past the 3rd and certainly no lower than the 4th round.

The NFL Draft often take the term 'character concerns' to a whole new level. Just like Patriots fans set too much stock in the 'Patriot Way'. This kid should never have dropped past the 3rd and certainly no lower than the 4th round.

Great point. I think that he has the talent of someone in the top 2-3-4 rounds for sure. This could be another Belichick steal, in the mold of M.Cannon in the 5th rd from last year.

I was a bit perplexed hearing Bedard's initial report about his poor size (5'10" and 204 lbs.), and that there may be some question as to where he will fit in, but I don't imagine it will be too hard to lose a little weight in the next couple of months, as he is almost 100% guaranteed to be a CB.

McCourty is 5'11" and 193 lbs, so I'm not sure I'm seeing all THAT much of a difference.

Either way, I think that maybe OTA's are a bit premature in terms of solid news, especially when it comes to rookies who are just starting to see the field for the first few times. Bedard also didn't have terribly kind things to say about either C.Jones (unspectacular so far) or D.Hightower (looked 'heavy' and was playing 'only' MLB).

Great point. I think that he has the talent of someone in the top 2-3-4 rounds for sure. This could be another Belichick steal, in the mold of M.Cannon in the 5th rd from last year.

I was a bit perplexed hearing Bedard's initial report about his poor size (5'10" and 204 lbs.), and that there may be some question as to where he will fit in, but I don't imagine it will be too hard to lose a little weight in the next couple of months, as he is almost 100% guaranteed to be a CB.

McCourty is 5'11" and 193 lbs, so I'm not sure I'm seeing all THAT much of a difference.

Either way, I think that maybe OTA's are a bit premature in terms of solid news, especially when it comes to rookies who are just starting to see the field for the first few times. Bedard also didn't have terribly kind things to say about either C.Jones (unspectacular so far) or D.Hightower (looked 'heavy' and was playing 'only' MLB).

I don't really like Bedard when he starts trying to analyse players. It really isn't his strong point. But 100% spot on...OTAs is nothing to judge a player. It's all about getting them familiarised (or re-familiarised for returning guys) with the playbook and any changes. Camp is where the judgments start to matter.

I was a bit perplexed hearing Bedard's initial report about his poor size (5'10" and 204 lbs.), and that there may be some question as to where he will fit in, but I don't imagine it will be too hard to lose a little weight in the next couple of months, as he is almost 100% guaranteed to be a CB. McCourty is 5'11" and 193 lbs, so I'm not sure I'm seeing all THAT much of a difference.

Dennard has a bit of an unusual build for a typical NFL CB. He is a bit thicker in his lower body, which gives him some nice power but makes him perhaps a bit tight in the hips. Because of this, and because he is such a physical player, there was some speculation that he might find more success in the NFL as a safety than as a CB. I'm not sure that Dennard is "100% guaranteed to be a CB" and think he will see time at safety as well, but he will probably start out there, and I think he could be very successful if used right. Mike Tanier (who ranked Dennard #27 in his list of top 50 prospects for the 2012 draft) compares Dennard to Green Bay CB Tramon Williams:

The Shutdown 50

Matt Miller of the Bleacher Report compares him to Chicago CB Charles Tillman:

Alfonzo Dennard: Comparing NFL Draft Pick to Charles Tillman | Bleacher Report

And finally, Dennard has also drawn comparisons to Cortland Finnegan:

Alfonzo Dennard Scouting Report « Gino's Draft Talk

I like the Finnegan comparison a lot, even though Dennard is heavier than Finnegan (5'10" 188#). Both are very physical and feisty (even "dirty") and are good at jamming receivers at the line. Both are willing tacklers who can lay the lumber.

Darius Butler had a much more "classic" CB build than Dennard, and much more fluid hips and better footwork, which won him accolades at the 2009 Combine. But it didn't get him very far. Dennard may not look like a prototype CB, but I think he could be very effective if used properly and with the right support from the other members of the secondary.

Dennard has a bit of an unusual build for a typical NFL CB. He is a bit thicker in his lower body, which gives him some nice power but makes him perhaps a bit tight in the hips. Because of this, and because he is such a physical player, there was some speculation that he might find more success in the NFL as a safety than as a CB. I'm not sure that Dennard is "100% guaranteed to be a CB" and think he will see time at safety as well, but he will probably start out there, and I think he could be very successful if used right. Mike Tanier (who ranked Dennard #27 in his list of top 50 prospects for the 2012 draft) compares Dennard to Green Bay CB Tramon Williams:

The Shutdown 50

Matt Miller of the Bleacher Report compares him to Chicago CB Charles Tillman:

Alfonzo Dennard: Comparing NFL Draft Pick to Charles Tillman | Bleacher Report

And finally, Dennard has also drawn comparisons to Cortland Finnegan:

Alfonzo Dennard Scouting Report « Gino's Draft Talk

I like the Finnegan comparison a lot, even though Dennard is heavier than Finnegan (5'10" 188#). Both are very physical and feisty (even "dirty") and are good at jamming receivers at the line. Both are willing tacklers who can lay the lumber.

Darius Butler had a much more "classic" CB build than Dennard, and much more fluid hips and better footwork, which won him accolades at the 2009 Combine. But it didn't get him very far. Dennard may not look like a prototype CB, but I think he could be very effective if used properly and with the right support from the other members of the secondary.

Great links, as always. Thanks for sharing the info. Good stuff in there.

Yes, you are right. In a world where death and taxes are probably the only thing worthy of "100% status," projecting Dennard as a CB with 100% certainty is short-sighted of me.

I was assuming (ass-uming as Captain Stone calls it) that Dennard's good, physical press coverage would likely earn him an inside or outside CB spot, but the size, versatility, and overall need at each specific position may factor into the choice a lot more than I had initially suggested.

At any rate, the possibility certainly exists that he may lose 10 lbs or so, thus being exactly where McCourty is at one inch shorter, but as you say the lower body and fluidity of the hips may also come into play too.

another judge might care

but you hit a cop

you're going in

What are you talking about? Cops get assulted all the time and the perps don't go to jail.

This is a first offense, It was not a beat down but a scuffle. With no future danger to the community as he is moving out of state, The cop was in plain clothes and who knows how he Identified himself. This is as most a 180 day suspended sentence.

You can't hit cops, but first time offenders are treated more leniently by the courts, specially when the guy will be joining the top 10% income bracket in the US. I can see a $50,000 donation to the police widows, the suspended sentence and a 4 game suspension from the league.

That is a $100,000 hit and a suspended sentence.

What are you talking about? Cops get assulted all the time and the perps don't go to jail.

This is a first offense, It was not a beat down but a scuffle. With no future danger to the community as he is moving out of state, The cop was in plain clothes and who knows how he Identified himself. This is as most a 180 day suspended sentence.

You can't hit cops, but first time offenders are treated more leniently by the courts, specially when the guy will be joining the top 10% income bracket in the US. I can see a $50,000 donation to the police widows, the suspended sentence and a 4 game suspension from the league.

Four game suspension by the league? Considering he wasn't under the employ of the NFL or an NFL franchise at the time, I don't see any action by the league as likely.

I think that you're pretty spot on with your assessment of what the penalty could be (not specifically, but in the sense that it shouldn't be harsh like some expect), but I don't really agree on your suspension prediction.

As UK said, he really wasn't an employee of the league at the time, so it's still up in the air as to whether or not he'll get any kind of punishment from the NFL. At this point, I don't think we can put anything past Roger Goodell, but at worst it would likely only be a game, maybe two at the max; and that's IF Goodell decides to push the envelope and try and get cute.

i can't believe how many people haven't seen Good Will Hunting in here

yeah...OK, Good Will Hunting...(gotta wake up pretty early in the a.m. to bamboozle the ol' Joker)

they need pictures to jog their oh so serious minds...I posted that response 4 pages back and it STILL flew over their heads...here's the scene excerpted...

JUDGE MALONE ..Son,(a beat)..My turn.The Judge opens Will's CASE HISTORY.JUDGE MALONE (cont'd)(reading)June, '93, assault, Sept. '93assault...Grand theft auto February'94.A beat, the Judge takes particular notice.JUDGE MALONE (cont'd)Where, apparantly, you defended yourself and had the case thrown out by citing"free property rights of horse and carriage" from 1798... The Judge shakes his head.JUDGE MALONE (cont'd)March, '94 public drunkenness, public

nudity, assault. 10/94 mayhem.November '94, assault. Jan. '95 impersonating a police officer, mayhem,theft, resisting-- overturned--The Judge takes a beat. Gives Will a look.JUDGE MALONE (cont'd) You're in my courtroom, now and I am aware of your priors.(beat)I'm also aware that you're an orphan.You've been through several foster homes. The state removed you from three because of serious physical abuse.The Judge holds a look to Will, who looks down.JUDGE MALONE (cont'd)Another Judge might care. You hit a cop, you go in.(beat)Motion to dismiss denied.The Bailiff goes to remove Will from the courtroom.JUDGE MALONE (cont'd)Keep workin' on your arguments, son.A word of advice for trial; speak English.

great scene form an underrated movie..

I think that you're pretty spot on with your assessment of what the penalty could be (not specifically, but in the sense that it shouldn't be harsh like some expect), but I don't really agree on your suspension prediction.

As UK said, he really wasn't an employee of the league at the time, so it's still up in the air as to whether or not he'll get any kind of punishment from the NFL. At this point, I don't think we can put anything past Roger Goodell, but at worst it would likely only be a game, maybe two at the max; and that's IF Goodell decides to push the envelope and try and get cute.

I can't be sure, but I understood that once you "commit" to play in the nfl, declare as a junior, accept an invite to the senior bowl or combine, you are considered under their umbrella. that is why guys who test positive at the combine are put in the program and are considered to have one strike against them.

they need pictures to jog their oh so serious minds...I posted that response 4 pages back and it STILL flew over their heads...here's the scene excerpted...

JUDGE MALONE ..Son,(a beat)..My turn.The Judge opens Will's CASE HISTORY.JUDGE MALONE (cont'd)(reading)June, '93, assault, Sept. '93assault...Grand theft auto February'94.A beat, the Judge takes particular notice.JUDGE MALONE (cont'd)Where, apparantly, you defended yourself and had the case thrown out by citing"free property rights of horse and carriage" from 1798... The Judge shakes his head.JUDGE MALONE (cont'd)March, '94 public drunkenness, public

nudity, assault. 10/94 mayhem.November '94, assault. Jan. '95 impersonating a police officer, mayhem,theft, resisting-- overturned--The Judge takes a beat. Gives Will a look.JUDGE MALONE (cont'd) You're in my courtroom, now and I am aware of your priors.(beat)I'm also aware that you're an orphan.You've been through several foster homes. The state removed you from three because of serious physical abuse.The Judge holds a look to Will, who looks down.JUDGE MALONE (cont'd)Another Judge might care. You hit a cop, you go in.(beat)Motion to dismiss denied.The Bailiff goes to remove Will from the courtroom.JUDGE MALONE (cont'd)Keep workin' on your arguments, son.A word of advice for trial; speak English.

great scene form an underrated movie..

Not exactly a famous quote. The one from that movie I recall is "do you like apples"

Since Dennard will likely be inactive anyway in his first few games, I expect Omissioner Goodell to suspend Gronk instead, just so Dennard truly understands that his conduct cannot be tolerated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back