PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Dennard out for week 4 at KC Chiefs

Status
Not open for further replies.
He played very poor last week imo. Got beat a bunch of time by Streater and Holmes.

4 times for 60 yards.
Pass Interference call against him was clear OPI
Also probably should have had an INT

He played very poor last week imo. Got beat a bunch of time by Streater and Holmes.

The directive last week was not to give up the big play and the Raiders averaged 3-4 yards per play last week which doesn't get it done in the NFL. Streeter had 3 catches for 32 yards (all in the first half) and Holmes had one catch for 29 yards. How much is a bunch when they had 4 receptions between them? Even if you credit him for all four catches being bad coverage, you would take your #2 CB only giving up 4 catches for 61 yards and no TDs.

And you can't count the PI call against Ryan where Ryan was flagged for Holmes tossing him to the ground.

Ryan had a really good game vs. the Vikes. I think he wasn't nearly as bad as people made him out to be last week. The Raiders completed a lot of short passes, but most of their drives went nowhere (they crossed the 50 yard line once in the first half and two more times in the second plus one where where they started on the Pats' 48). The Pats played to not give up the big play which they didn't.

The Chiefs do not have a good receiving corp. So missing Dennard should not be a huge problem. I would rather give him one more week because they will definitely need him against Cincy. They have multtiple receiving threats.

If it was inf act a set back in the injury..we have no idea if he will be even ready for cincy. But browner can offset some of that

If it was inf act a set back in the injury..we have no idea if he will be even ready for cincy. But browner can offset some of that

What did he fall in the shower? He was listed as probably yesterday and didn't practice since. I am guessing it was that he is being held out so he can be healthy for Cincy. I seriously doubt it is set back.

Dennard and Revis are the team's two legit, all-around, corners. After that, Browner is a limited mauler, Ryan's another Rutgers guy who needs to move to safety, Arrington's strictly a short area slot guy, and Butler's probably a dime back.

I'm just hoping that Dennard doesn't need additional surgery on that shoulder.

I'm agree with your analysis of Revis, Dennard and Arrington.

I even agree that when Dennard is healthy and Browner is integrated into the offense, that Ryan might be best at safety.

However, until both Dennard and Browner are ready, Ryan is one of our corners.

BTW, apparently Ebner is ahead of Butler as our dime back. Do you mean that Butler is a backup dime back, or that he should replace Ebner.

In any case, the news on Dennard is not good.

The directive last week was not to give up the big play and the Raiders averaged 3-4 yards per play last week which doesn't get it done in the NFL. Streeter had 3 catches for 32 yards (all in the first half) and Holmes had one catch for 29 yards. How much is a bunch when they had 4 receptions between them? Even if you credit him for all four catches being bad coverage, you would take your #2 CB only giving up 4 catches for 61 yards and no TDs.

And you can't count the PI call against Ryan where Ryan was flagged for Holmes tossing him to the ground.

Is it me or we at the point that because the offense didn't score 4 TD and they only won by 7 points that it was somehow the defense's fault? They allowed 3 FG.

Only 1 player had more than 3 catches, Darren McFadden with 4 for a whopping 6 yards.

They gave up one pass that went more than 18 yards.

Also 29 of Ryan's 60 yards came on one play against Holmes. So Ryan's other 3 receptions allowed netted the Raiders 31 yards, 10.3 ypr.

So essentially Ryan is getting killed for giving up a 29 yard pass.

What did he fall in the shower? He was listed as probably yesterday and didn't practice since. I am guessing it was that he is being held out so he can be healthy for Cincy. I seriously doubt it is set back.

7 guys have to be inactive might as well have one of them be a guy that was limited and probably could go if you really needed him but better to give him another week get healthy for this next stretch of games that include Cinci, Chicago, Indy, Detroit, GB, SD

He isn't needed this week because the Chiefs don't exactly have a potent passing attack. Let him rest so he can be ready for the Bengals next week.

I'm agree with your analysis of Revis, Dennard and Arrington.

I even agree that when Dennard is healthy and Browner is integrated into the offense, that Ryan might be best at safety.

However, until both Dennard and Browner are ready, Ryan is one of our corners.

BTW, apparently Ebner is ahead of Butler as our dime back. Do you mean that Butler is a backup dime back, or that he should replace Ebner.

In any case, the news on Dennard is not good.

I mean that Butler hasn't shown that he's better than the last CB on the squad (not counting Ryan, whom I'm saying belongs at safety).

CB1 - Revis
CB2 - Dennard/Browner (matchup dependent)
Slot/nickel CB - Arrington/Dennard (matchup dependent)

That leaves Butler as the dime, or CB5.

To me that's pretty bad considering the offense they were playing. The raiders have the worst offense in the league. Ryan's level of play last week is not going to cut it against better teams.

Also it was the way he was beaten. After reviewing the game, to me he wasn't even competitive on most of those plays.

To me that's pretty bad considering the offense they were playing. The raiders have the worst offense in the league. Ryan's level of play last week is not going to cut it against better teams.

Also it was the way he was beaten. After reviewing the game, to me he wasn't even competitive on most of those plays.

It isn't horrible as you state. The Pats played a lot zone early (where Streater got his passes). So you don't even know if it was his assignment or he was the first guy to the ball.

Plus, Revis gave up more plays and yards on Sunday. Shouldn't you be more nervous about him?

BTW, Holmes had 5 catches for 74 yards and a TD today (Streater was out). So, I don't know if Ryan's performance was that bad.

Is it me or we at the point that because the offense didn't score 4 TD and they only won by 7 points that it was somehow the defense's fault? They allowed 3 FG.

Only 1 player had more than 3 catches, Darren McFadden with 4 for a whopping 6 yards.

They gave up one pass that went more than 18 yards.

Also 29 of Ryan's 60 yards came on one play against Holmes. So Ryan's other 3 receptions allowed netted the Raiders 31 yards, 10.3 ypr.

So essentially Ryan is getting killed for giving up a 29 yard pass.

The funny thing is a few years ago if a Pats' CB had a game like that even against a marginal starting QB, people would be doing cartwheels.

It isn't horrible as you state. The Pats played a lot zone early (where Streater got his passes). So you don't even know if it was his assignment or he was the first guy to the ball.
All the plays where Ryan got beat on by Streater/Holmes were man to man.
Plus, Revis gave up more plays and yards on Sunday. Shouldn't you be more nervous about him?
No because Revis doesn't have a history of inconsistent play.

We used TWO versions of dime backs last week.

One with a CB (Arrington last week), and one with a S (Ebner).

We used TWO versions of dime backs last week.

One with a CB (Arrington last week), and one with a S (Ebner).

FWIW, though, the Ebner look predominated over the Arrington look (Ebner was on the field for 10 of Oakland's 13 third downs).

FWIW, though, the Ebner look predominated over the Arrington look (Ebner was on the field for 10 of Oakland's 13 third downs).

Sure, I'm just pointing out that we use a CB as a dime back plenty of times over the years, most recently as of last week.

He made it sound like an "either or" scenario.

alex smith will look peyton tomorrow night.

alex smith will look peyton tomorrow night.

Even when David Carr was "looking like Peyton" last week (not really, but according to some of the media) we still only allowed like 175 yds passing and 3 FGs.

I'm sure the other team will make plays, yes. As long as we're ahead at the end, I really don't care.

Even when David Carr was "looking like Peyton" last week (not really, but according to some of the media) we still only allowed like 175 yds passing and 3 FGs.

I'm sure the other team will make plays, yes. As long as we're ahead at the end, I really don't care.

unleash the gronk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back