PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Dennard Jury has a verdict

Status
Not open for further replies.
Right. 3 months is no problem other than losing a couple of games in a possible suspension. 6 months is more of an issue, since we would likely lose him for more games, as you say, a PUP-type situation.

Like I said yesterday, too many are overreacting to the max end of the sentencing thanks to some stupid media reports from those outside of the NE area.

Dennard doesn't score too high as a first-time offender who is a local college graduate and employed in the NFL, so I couldn't possibly see anything more than a year max--where he'd serve about 6 months.
My concern was that the 6 months wouldn't be starting until mid-late April and that would take us into October, thus making him a "PUP type" situation.

His prosecutor said today in an interview that most people in his situation get anywhere from flat out probation to 180 days in jail, so we can take that as a major step in the right direction.

If he is suspended (unlikely) it will be tied up in appeals and litigation, as referenced by the legal expert in the Herald article yesterday too. We'd see another case of the Saints players who continued to play all throughout the year, and the whole thing would be over a 1-2 game suspension anyway.

Major case of overreaction here. We will have Dennard.

Like I said yesterday, too many are overreacting to the max end of the sentencing thanks to some stupid media reports from those outside of the NE area.

Dennard doesn't score too high as a first-time offender who is a local college graduate and employed in the NFL, so I couldn't possibly see anything more than a year max--where he'd serve about 6 months.
My concern was that the 6 months wouldn't be starting until mid-late April and that would take us into October, thus making him a "PUP type" situation.

His prosecutor said today in an interview that most people in his situation get anywhere from flat out probation to 180 days in jail, so we can take that as a major step in the right direction.

If he is suspended (unlikely) it will be tied up in appeals and litigation, as referenced by the legal expert in the Herald article yesterday too. We'd see another case of the Saints players who continued to play all throughout the year, and the whole thing would be over a 1-2 game suspension anyway.

Major case of overreaction here. We will have Dennard.

The hardest sentence I can see is 30 days with the rest of the 180 suspended. And this will be the first time I have heard of a first offender going to jail for a 3rd degree felony, with the exception of drunk driving- injury resulting.

What is conclusive is that a jury determined that Dennard was guilty of punching a police officer.

True.....and damages should be considered in sentencing.....how much sentencing can be prudent in this situation? Was the cop even injured? Did the cop miss time?

I don't believe serving time for minimal damages anyone unless they are seeking retribution. Envious people love opportunities to hang other people

Bunch of good tweets :

david frank ‏@davidfrankmlw

I talked to a bunch of Nebraska lawyers/forme prosecutors today about Alfonzo Dennard case. Almost all agree jail sentence is unlikely

If Dennard is sentenced to jail, 6 mos would likely be the most he'd get. In Nebraska, he'd do about 3 months of the sentence with good time

A Neb. lawyer told me the county where Alfonzo Dennard was convicted often give defendants with no records a break at sentencing. #probation

Tom E. Curran ‏@tomecurran
April 11 will be the sentencing date for Dennard. Jail time is the worst-case scenario. A fine is best he can hope for. #PatriotsTalk

Ugh, I was hoping for a community service + fine scenario. But this verdict sounds bad. He might miss a season or more in jail.

Dennard's prosecutor claims today that he's looking at anywhere from probation to 180 days in jail.....Definitely good news that we should have him for the duration of the season.

Dennard’s crime usually carries a sentence of six months or less | ProFootballTalk

Bunch of good tweets :

I talked to a bunch of Nebraska lawyers/forme prosecutors today about Alfonzo Dennard case. Almost all agree jail sentence is unlikely

If Dennard is sentenced to jail, 6 mos would likely be the most he'd get. In Nebraska, he'd do about 3 months of the sentence with good time

A Neb. lawyer told me the county where Alfonzo Dennard was convicted often give defendants with no records a break at sentencing. #probation

Ugh, I was hoping for a community service + fine scenario. But this verdict sounds bad. He might miss a season or more in jail.

Why does the verdict sound bad to you?

Dennard is not going to miss the summer of 2013, let alone the season, let alone two seasons....

Where are you possibly coming up with this pessimistic view from? The lawyer that prosecuted him spoke today of how people in his case usually get anything from probation to 180 days in jail. That would mean in a worst case scenario he'd be out in 3 months.

Bedard's take:

Here's what I do know:

Dennard did not plead out before trial because nothing less than a felony was being offered. He had zero to lose by going to trial;
Dennard is expected to get jail time but will likely be out before training camp;
Despite the wording of the NFL's personal conduct policy, Dennard could initially incur a suspension from NFL commissioner Roger Goodell, though the NFLPA would fight back;

Dennard case will be unpredictable - Extra Points - Boston.com

The timing probably couldn't be better in terms of Goodell wanting to institute a marginally justifiable suspension. I highly doubt he wants to risk another embarrassing defeat right now.

Why is that? Is there a contract negotiations coming up with the players, with TV, with the owners?

No, I see no reason for him not to continue his vendetta of increased vigilance regarding drug use and misconduct.

Perhaps Dennard have something to gain by pleading out and not lying to the jury. Perjury is a crime, and arguably a violation of the conduct code.

The timing probably couldn't be better in terms of Goodell wanting to institute a marginally justifiable suspension. I highly doubt he wants to risk another embarrassing defeat right now.

Looks like you were right all along, Deus, which isn't surprising to me.

In my defense I still thought that something was offered, and I couldn't imagine the prosecution not offering anything, but it just wouldn't have made much sense for Dennard to accept it, since rolling the dice would still give him something in the ballpark anyway. On some level I can give myself a half point :)

Thanks for the explanation.

Looks like you were right all along, Deus, which isn't surprising to me.

In my defense I still thought that something was offered, and I couldn't imagine the prosecution not offering anything, but it just wouldn't have made much sense for Dennard to accept it, since rolling the dice would still give him something in the ballpark anyway. On some level I can give myself a half point :)

Thanks for the explanation.

No need to defend yourself on something like this. We're all just giving our best guesses about something with little released info. But thanks for the "thanks", and you're most welcome. :)

Why is that? Is there a contract negotiations coming up with the players, with TV, with the owners?

No, I see no reason for him not to continue his vendetta of increased vigilance regarding drug use and misconduct.

Perhaps Dennard have something to gain by pleading out and not lying to the jury. Perjury is a crime, and arguably a violation of the conduct code.

Well we can argue about whether any such "vendetta against drug use" actually exists but I don't agree that he doesn't have to make political calculations simply because there's no impending labor strife. He definitely needs to maintain credibility and adding an overly broad interpretation of his suspension powers under the NFL conduct policy to his resume probably isn't advisable at this point.

What purpose would it even serve anyway? To deter the .01% of would-be NFL athletes from getting arrested in the time between the end of their college season and the draft? I think the disincentive is already there.

Can someone please explain the foundation for Goodell to suspend any employee for actions prior to them coming under contract? Aren't there dozens of NFL players who committed crimes prior to coming under contract that were not suspended? Where is this coming from?

Can someone please explain the foundation for Goodell to suspend any employee for actions prior to them coming under contract? Aren't there dozens of NFL players who committed crimes prior to coming under contract that were not suspended? Where is this coming from?

I'm not sure that there have been "dozens" of players in this situation, but the best comparison we have is NYJ player Kendrick Ellis, who was also involved in a violent crime/charge and was given a 45 day jail sentence.

Goodell did not give him any sanctions or missed games, so that may be something to go on moving forward.

Those who are concerned are likely doing so because they still see a dictator in Roger Goodell, who can sometimes make up his own mind with the past being damned. There is also speculation and different opinions around the country in different media outlets, so that may also be adding fuel.

I wouldn't be too worried about it, but I also wouldn't put it past Goodell to try and throw a 1-2 game suspension at him either, assuming the worst. Whether or not he would suceed remains to be seen, as it would probably be fought hard by the NFLPA and there's a chance that Dennard wouldn't even serve any suspension in the 2013 season anyway.

I get that. I don't see how the type or nature of the offense can be made relevant, only the timing of it.

This is the kind of thing that makes me sympathize with the players when contract talks come around every few years. The normal dignity that has been worked into employer-employee relationships over hundreds of years of slow progress is thrown out the window. If you are concerned with someone's past behavior, don't hire them. If you hire them, you don't get to then punish them for their past. It is absurdly paternalistic.

I'm not sure that there have been "dozens" of players in this situation, but the best comparison we have is NYJ player Kendrick Ellis, who was also involved in a violent crime/charge and was given a 45 day jail sentence.

Goodell did not give him any sanctions or missed games, so that may be something to go on moving forward.

Those who are concerned are likely doing so because they still see a dictator in Roger Goodell, who can sometimes make up his own mind with the past being damned. There is also speculation and different opinions around the country in different media outlets, so that may also be adding fuel.

I wouldn't be too worried about it, but I also wouldn't put it past Goodell to try and throw a 1-2 game suspension at him either, assuming the worst. Whether or not he would suceed remains to be seen, as it would probably be fought hard by the NFLPA and there's a chance that Dennard wouldn't even serve any suspension in the 2013 season anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes