PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Dennard Jury has a verdict

Status
Not open for further replies.
Talib's asking price just went up

I think many may feel that way as a misconception, but I highly doubt that Belichick will change his individual assessment ideals based on a rookie CB's potential to miss some time.

In other words, maybe they decide to use the transition tag at 8.9 million for a year which is your point, but they certainly don't offer him a long term pact based on what Dennard did or didn't do.

And the only way I can envision them guaranteeing Talib 8.9 on the transition tag is if they were somehow prepared to pay him close to that already, which I honestly doubt.

He may have to do some other things to fill the need but overpaying someone else won't be one of them.

Assuming he gets probation or community work (or both), given the fact that sentencing won't take place before April, anyone knows what happens in the case where he'd need to report to training camp? Do community services have to served locally (Nebraska)? What about meeting with a probation officer? Does the officer need to be local in Nebraska? Would they assign him a probation officer and/or community services up here in New England?

His eventual contract is based on the market, not on the Pats' situation. Sure, he can ask for more hoping the Pats panic and pay him more than he'd get elsewhere, but I would think and hope that that wouldn't work with Bill.

Exactly my thoughts.

Assuming he gets probation or community work (or both), given the fact that sentencing won't take place before April, anyone knows what happens in the case where he'd need to report to training camp? Do community services have to served locally (Nebraska)? What about meeting with a probation officer? Does the officer need to be local in Nebraska? Would they assign him a probation officer and/or community services up here in New England?

I think that any of the community based sanctions that you are suggesting would also be in addition to some form of jail time, although there are many different forms of jail time too.

He could get a 1 yr sentence where 9 months are suspended and he only serves about 1/2 of those remaining 3 months, or he could get a 3 yr sentence where it's 1/2 and 1/2 and he's out in 8-9 months (probably worst case).

There are also forms of house arrest, and even some weekend reporting if it came down to it. I think the defense will have a very good argument that his employment deems it necessary to uphold certain responsibilities, so I'd have a hard time seeing him not here for TC.

To answer your question, he could certainly report to someone in the Mass. area instead, although he may also have to go back to Nebraska once or twice to go back in front of the judge if that is in the order too, although he could certainly afford it.

I don't think he'd have any reason to make Dennard fly back and forth too often if that is your question.

I'm told by many that McCourty is a free safety and should not move back to corner.
Cole is a free agent (as are Arrington and Martin).

As of now we have Dowling and Williams.

Remember all the complaining we used to do about Ellis Hobbs? Things look alot worse now. Who are our starting CB's right now without Talib, Dennard, and Arrington? Marquis Cole and McCourty? Yikes.

This secondary as of right now (with alot of unknowns, obviously) might make us miss Duane Starks.

I had a bad feeling about this case when it took them a whole day to select the jury.

Wonder where Dennard got his lawyer. Never put on a defense beyond calling Dennard to the stand. It was as if he decided the best way to undercut the prosecution was by making light of their case.

The ultimate irony is he was aquitted of the charge for which he resisted arrest...

BB has struggled for years to put together a secondary and was forced to take risks in drafting Dennard and trading for Talib. And just when it started to look like blackjack..... POOF!

saw some tweets from SMY that the NFL is looking into this. don't agree that they can suspend a player for conduct before he becomes a NFL employee, but there seems to be some precedence.

http://www.criminaldefenselawyer.com...d-assault-laws

This was a Class III guilty verdict so no minimum jail sentence. I'm expecting a hefty fine and probation.
There are many variables that can influence sentencing:
Were there any priors on his CORI?
Was he placed on pre-trial probation and if so it appears that he did ok
Felony assault on a PO in any state is serious
That being said, if Denard doesn't have any priors courts generally will place someone on Probation. They would transfer the case to a court in Mass or whereever he lives to meet the terms.

I think that you need to consider the political climate and statement that would be made if an nfl player was given no jail time, and sent to MA to serve probation and any community service time.

I suggest that 3-6 months in jail is likely. If only 3, he will be out before the end of July. The more serious question for me is possible nfl actions.

There are many variables that can influence sentencing:
Were there any priors on his CORI?
Was he placed on pre-trial probation and if so it appears that he did ok
Felony assault on a PO in any state is serious
That being said, if Denard doesn't have any priors courts generally will place someone on Probation. They would transfer the case to a court in Mass or whereever he lives to meet the terms.

I'm the furthest thing from a lawyer, but this would indicate to me that his 2013 season is over. I cannot imagine he'd get no or a tiny amount of jail time for that.

So now Talib might be a FA and Dennard heads to prison (likely). Great news for our defensive backfield!

:bricks:

What??? No way.... 2 years probation. He's a first time offender, no record and its not a felony.

I agree, Dennard is a thug, Burress was an idiot, I hope Dennard gets the max for assaulting an officer!!

Yeah! And while we are at it, let's just burn tax payer money and destroy a promising young man's life just to prove a point!

I had a bad feeling about this case when it took them a whole day to select the jury.

Wonder where Dennard got his lawyer. Never put on a defense beyond calling Dennard to the stand. It was as if he decided the best way to undercut the prosecution was by making light of their case.

The ultimate irony is he was aquitted of the charge for which he resisted arrest...

It's why police are held in such low esteem by many, including myself. Some big headed cop decided to demonstrate his authority by interfering in something that appearantly did not require his intervention. Now a young (black) man has a felony record and faces jail time. It's the cop who should be facing jail time for overstepping his bounds.

I think that you need to consider the political climate and statement that would be made if an nfl player was given no jail time, and sent to MA to serve probation and any community service time.

I suggest that 3-6 months in jail is likely. If only 3, he will be out before the end of July. The more serious question for me is possible nfl actions.

For one punch on a cop? your going to put a guy that is on track to be a millionaire in jail. People break into homes where there are people home and don't go to jail for their 1st offense.

It won't be probation either, the guy will most likely get a suspended sentence and a $25,000 fine. The cop will sue him and get a nice settlement too, college kids partying and hitting a cop is not like a street thug pushing dope on a corner resisting arrest and hitting a cop. Judges take into consideration the likelyhood of the event happening again as the main concern when passing judgement on a first time offender.

Hopefully we don't have to fill all three CB positions this offseason...

if that is the case, i say we just sign WR Mike Wallace and try to outscore everyone. seriously, if we have to fill 2 starting CB and a safety position, it would set us back a couple of years. Hopefully he just gets a fine

I certainly do not know if Denard has any prior adult felonies. If he does then he is looking at jail time. If not, I
suspect the court will give him probation. I don't know how the Nebraska judicial system works but in Ma, the court will generally give probation; unless of course it's a major felony. Should he violate probation then he's be scooped up and sentenced.
People who are given probation are free to live whereever they chose. However, they first must make arangements to transfer their case. It happens frequently.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back