PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Dennard Jury has a verdict

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the information that has made it to the public is all true it is pretty startling that Dennard is going to end up with a felony on his record. From what I read there were 0 witnesses besides the POs to Dennard punching the cop, a grainy cell vid that didn't actually show the punch, and no physical evidence that the police officer got punched. I'd understand if there were a ton of witnesses, clear evidence that the PO got punched, or the video showed the punch; but this really seems like common sense vs the POs and apparently the jury sided with the POs. I really hope more comes to light that shows why the jury didn't see reasonable doubt that Dennard struck the PO.
One word: Nebraska.

From Reiss: "Prosecutors said after the verdict was read that they were not recommending a sentence, the World-Herald reported, adding that typical sentence for a crime like assaulting an officer range from probation (no jail time) to 180 days behind bars."

Now reading between the lines on this case: The police were adamant not to accept a plea. They want the message to be clear within the community that hitting an officer will not be tolerated. I suspect sentencing will be equally inflexible with a middle range sentence. Being high profile hurts the kid because an example is being set for student to learn from.

tumblr_lvde0usdsA1r653xto1_500_zps0abb8a64.jpg

Disgusting if true.​

Kid gets in alcohol induced fight that leaves no one hurt = Jail Time. Before he was in the league!
Star Pro-LB gets in fight that leaves two dead by his own knives = Future Role Model. While he was in the league!
Makes sense. Way to go again, system.

fixed it for you

Well if this judge is like a MA judge he won't put much stock in abiding by the wishes of the police in sentencing. The DA not recommending a sentence is a huge plus for Dennard and leaves the door wide open for probation.

borg thinks the police officer should be given his due revenge by giving Dennard 3-4 years in prison. Never mind the fact Dennard was not guilty of assaulting the person who triggered the arrest.

Well if this judge is like a MA judge he won't put much stock in abiding by the wishes of the police in sentencing. The DA not recommending a sentence is a huge plus for Dennard and leaves the door wide open for probation.

This DA is no fool. Pass the mini hot potato along and stay out of sight. As far as the Mass. vs Nebraska judges. Classic blue state vs red state difference in dispersing justice. One state interprets the law, the other adheres to a more literal interpretation.
Not that this case anyway resembles the Penn State nightmare, but I'm betting those involved in the verdict and sentencing have/will go out of their way to avoid any semblance of preferential treatment for the local athlete. Sucks for Dennerd

This DA is no fool. Pass the mini hot potato along and stay out of sight. As far as the Mass. vs Nebraska judges. Classic blue state vs red state difference in dispersing justice. One state interprets the law, the other adheres to a more literal interpretation.
Not that this case anyway resembles the Penn State nightmare, but I'm betting those involved in the verdict and sentencing have/will go out of their way to avoid any semblance of preferential treatment for the local athlete. Sucks for Dennerd

There's a difference, though, between "going out of their way to avoid any semblance of preferential treatment," and throwing the book at him.

borg thinks the police officer should be given his due revenge by giving Dennard 3-4 years in prison. Never mind the fact Dennard was not guilty of assaulting the person who triggered the arrest.
That part doesn't make a bit of difference. You can't hit a cop and resist arrest even if the cop turns out to be wrong. The jury wasn't convinced beyond a reasonable doubt that Dennard assaulted the guy that triggered the arrest, but the cop only needed probable cause to arrest, not to be right beyond a reasonable doubt.

3-4 years would be nuts, but it wouldn't surprise me to see him get 30-90 days. I also wouldn't be surprised if he got off with a few years of probation.

Stallworth got less than a month and he killed someone while intoxicated...if Dennard gets any jail time, I would be very surprised.

Stallworth had a LOT of extenuating circumstances in his favor. The guy he hit was drunk/stoned and was crossing a 4-lane highway not at an intersection so it is questionable whether a sober driver could have avoided him. Then, Stallworth immediately stopped, helped perform CPR, called 911, stayed at the scene, and was fully cooperative with police. In fact it was only after the interrogation "where were you coming from, what were you doing, etc." and Donte said he had been at a bar did they do the sobriety test.

I'm not dismissing the seriousness of driving drunk--- he is responsible for his actions, but in the Stallworth case the irresponsible actions of the victim played at least some part in the light sentencing.

I have to say, I'm really surprised he was convicted of the felony charge, based on what I read in the other thread. If I were him, I'd be appealing this, because having a felony conviction on your record really isn't something you want, especially for a kid who hasn't had a prior record.

That being said, I have to say I'd be shocked to see a sentence longer than 30 days. There are murderers who don't serve 6 years.

The second point is if there will be a possible suspension by the league. PFT thinks its inevitable. I think its impossible. Goodell has already set the precedent with the Kendrick Ellis case. He levied NO suspension in a case where Ellis severely injured the other party, and also occurred prior to him entering the league. To suspend Dennard would be grossly unfair.

(Posting this with my tinfoil hat strapped on securely) Keep in mind that Ellis plays for the Jets. Nothing is off the table when it comes to Goodell and the Patriots.

Madness if he gets jail time for throwing a single punch.

I've seen people throw punches in a bar and not even get kicked out of the establishment.

Dennard was a fool for throwing the punch but i think he is massively unlucky that the incident has escalated this far.

Has anyone mentioned the Tweets floating around that prosecution will NOT recommend jail time?

Haven't read too far back in the thread, SMY is going into some detail about it.

The second point is if there will be a possible suspension by the league. PFT thinks its inevitable. I think its impossible. Goodell has already set the precedent with the Kendrick Ellis case. He levied NO suspension in a case where Ellis severely injured the other party, and also occurred prior to him entering the league. To suspend Dennard would be grossly unfair.
In other words... here comes the 6 game suspension.

Has anyone mentioned the Tweets floating around that prosecution will NOT recommend jail time?
He's not recommending a sentence - as opposed to recommending no sentence.

He's not recommending a sentence - as opposed to recommending no sentence.

Have you ever heard of a guy called Pontius Pilate? The prosecutor
doesn't want to tick off the police or Nebraska fans. Let the judge
do the dirty work.

Probation, fine and community service.. Lawyers would pled it out if he faced significant time.

Probation, fine and community service.. Lawyers would pled it out if he faced significant time.
There was no plea deal offered, they wanted to make an example of him. That said, significant time isn't likely (but possible, judges have all the discretion in the world). A little time, very possibly. And if the jury got their facts straight, then it wouldn't be undeserved, either.

Dennard shouldn't complain...he was judged by a male/female jury of his peers....

Redneck-Motorcycle.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back