PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Dennard Jury has a verdict

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remember all the complaining we used to do about Ellis Hobbs? Things look alot worse now. Who are our starting CB's right now without Talib, Dennard, and Arrington? Marquis Cole and McCourty? Yikes.

This secondary as of right now (with alot of unknowns, obviously) might make us miss Duane Starks.

Hilarious. Nothing could may anyone miss Duane starks.

He'll probably be back. Might miss a few games.

But if not, the show goes on, they'll plug and play. All they really need is to teach people to actually turn and look for the ball. You do that and half the battle is won.

Pisses me off to no end. If i was on that jury i'd gone 12 angry men on their asses.

Hope it works out for Dennard. For the sake of my health next season.

Re: NFL cant suspend him right?

I believe since incident happened before draft the NFL can't suspend him. Can anybody confirm?

Like others I to believe he'll get 30 days at most, pay a fine and be put on double secret probation by Pats.

Funny how media says "he faces minumum 6 years in prison", shouldn't it really read "he faces 0-6 years in jail"

I am sure he would fight the suspension because he wasn't in the league when the assault happened.

That is, if he is out of jail. Fear of league suspension might have made Denard unwilling to plead guilty to a lesser offense or a light sentence, and now look where that got him. I bet he's more concerned with his life in general now than whether the league is going to suspend him.

http://www.criminaldefenselawyer.com...d-assault-laws

Assault in the third degree against a law enforcement officer consists of intentionally, knowingly or recklessly causing bodily injury to an officer while he is engaged in the performance of his duties and is a Class IIIA felony. (Neb. Stat. Rev. Ann. §28.931.)

Probation

A court in Nebraska can impose probation for up to five years for a felony assault conviction rather than imprisonment. If the offense, such as a Class II felony, requires a minimum prison sentence, that sentence must be served before the defendant can begin probation. A person on supervised probation must meet with a probation officer and comply with conditions of probation such as treatment, maintaining employment and avoiding any further criminal activity or arrests.
Pleas and Pre-Trial Options

Prosecutors may negotiate and agree to a lighter sentence in exchange for a guilty plea or to the defendant pleading guilty to a different, less serious crime.

This was a Class III guilty verdict so no minimum jail sentence. I'm expecting a hefty fine and probation.

Pisses me off to no end. If i was on that jury i'd gone 12 angry men on their asses.

Hope it works out for Dennard. For the sake of my health next season.
Damn right. "Look! He may have hit a guy, resisted arrest, and be shown on video hitting a cop, but he plays for the Patriots and they need him!"

In my opinion, a fair punishment for a first time offense given the circumstances would be 30 days community service.

I don't think jail would serve any additional future deterrent incentive. Knowing that if you do it again you get thrown in jail should be incentive enough for him to be more level headed in the future.

Goodbye Dennard, nice knowing ya. I guess there is more pressure on keeping Talib now.

I have to say, I'm really surprised he was convicted of the felony charge, based on what I read in the other thread. If I were him, I'd be appealing this, because having a felony conviction on your record really isn't something you want, especially for a kid who hasn't had a prior record.

That being said, I have to say I'd be shocked to see a sentence longer than 30 days. There are murderers who don't serve 6 years.

The second point is if there will be a possible suspension by the league. PFT thinks its inevitable. I think its impossible. Goodell has already set the precedent with the Kendrick Ellis case. He levied NO suspension in a case where Ellis severely injured the other party, and also occurred prior to him entering the league. To suspend Dennard would be grossly unfair.

Kid gets in alcohol induced fight that leaves no one hurt = Jail Time.
Star Pro-LB gets in fight that leaves two dead by his own knives = Future Role Model.

Makes sense. Way to go again, system.

Kid gets in alcohol induced fight that leaves no one hurt = Jail Time.
Star Pro-LB gets in fight that leaves two dead by his own knives = Future Role Model.

Makes sense. Way to go again, system.

I'd be shocked if he did anything more than 60 days (if that).

From Reiss: "Prosecutors said after the verdict was read that they were not recommending a sentence, the World-Herald reported, adding that typical sentence for a crime like assaulting an officer range from probation (no jail time) to 180 days behind bars."

Now reading between the lines on this case: The police were adamant not to accept a plea. They want the message to be clear within the community that hitting an officer will not be tolerated. I suspect sentencing will be equally inflexible with a middle range sentence. Being high profile hurts the kid because an example is being set for student to learn from.

Damn right. "Look! He may have hit a guy, resisted arrest, and be shown on video hitting a cop, but he plays for the Patriots and they need him!"

I'd also somehow put some of the blame on the cop and show somekind of bias by one of the other jury members.

12angrymen-mad.jpg

Stallworth got less than a month and he killed someone while intoxicated...if Dennard gets any jail time, I would be very surprised.

Seems heinous to take a kids voting rights away for that

If the information that has made it to the public is all true it is pretty startling that Dennard is going to end up with a felony on his record. From what I read there were 0 witnesses besides the POs to Dennard punching the cop, a grainy cell vid that didn't actually show the punch, and no physical evidence that the police officer got punched. I'd understand if there were a ton of witnesses, clear evidence that the PO got punched, or the video showed the punch; but this really seems like common sense vs the POs and apparently the jury sided with the POs. I really hope more comes to light that shows why the jury didn't see reasonable doubt that Dennard struck the PO.

From Reiss: "Prosecutors said after the verdict was read that they were not recommending a sentence, the World-Herald reported, adding that typical sentence for a crime like assaulting an officer range from probation (no jail time) to 180 days behind bars."

Now reading between the lines on this case: The police were adamant not to accept a plea. They want the message to be clear within the community that hitting an officer will not be tolerated. I suspect sentencing will be equally inflexible with a middle range sentence. Being high profile hurts the kid because an example is being set for student to learn from.

Well if this judge is like a MA judge he won't put much stock in abiding by the wishes of the police in sentencing. The DA not recommending a sentence is a huge plus for Dennard and leaves the door wide open for probation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots