PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Dennard getting sentenced Thursday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree. I think given the absence of priors and the fact that he's obviously made something of his life, the court should and will show a bit of leniency. No jail time.

If he'd gotten Talib's lawyer he'd probably be getting a written apology for even suspecting him.

I read somewhere that the average sentence for a crime like this is 90-180 days. Granted most people convicted of this type of felony inflict far more damage than Dennard did. I don't know if he would get as long of sentence where he did not even leave a mark on the cop.

No matter what happens, God Goodell will then administer the swift sword of justice for an activity that Dennard got involved with while in college..

While Pete Carroll was involved in all kinds of NCAA hijinks at USC, and he got an attaboy..

Based on the facts of the case and the witness testimony, I am hopeful that Dennard is going to get a suspended sentence, probation, fine and community service that can be administered through the New England Patriots Charitable Foundation.

The evidence of this case contradicts the police officers' statements regarding the actual assault on the police officer. Because of that mitigating circumstance, Dennard will likely get all of the above.

:rocker:

Bob Kraft get that helicopter ready for a prison yard jailbreak!

No matter what happens, God Goodell will then administer the swift sword of justice for an activity that Dennard got involved with while in college..

While Pete Carroll was involved in all kinds of NCAA hijinks at USC, and he got an attaboy..

I'm not sure the facts of the case, but isn't there precedent already set with Kendrick Ellis? I don't believe he faced any suspension.

This would make absolutely no sense whatsoever. In fact, the very idea seems open to court action. He was not involved with the NFL on any level at the time. Lawyers, please chime in here.

Since it's not a New England judge, I expect that Dennard will hang.

I'm not sure the facts of the case, but isn't there precedent already set with Kendrick Ellis? I don't believe he faced any suspension.

This is precisely right. The precedent was set in Ellis' case; if Goodell is at all consistent, there will be no suspension handed down in Dennard's case, either.

This is precisely right. The precedent was set in Ellis' case; if Goodell is at all consistent, there will be no suspension handed down in Dennard's case, either.

To be fair I think Ellis is just a recent example and precendent has long been set.

As far as I know the only player to ever have been suspended from the NFL for anything done prior to their signing and drafting was Terelle Pryor and there was much more to that story and some behind the scenes wink and knodges from the NFL to NCAA and I think Pryor agreed to them where he probably could have fought them but I honestly dont really know the specifics just that Pryor is the only one to be suspended in the NFL for prior incidents.

Ellis. A Jet.

Dennard. A Patriot.

lets see.

As far as I know the only player to ever have been suspended from the NFL for anything done prior to their signing and drafting was Terelle Pryor and there was much more to that story and some behind the scenes wink and knodges from the NFL to NCAA and I think Pryor agreed to them where he probably could have fought them but I honestly dont really know the specifics just that Pryor is the only one to be suspended in the NFL for prior incidents.

Pryor was suspended for intentional manipulation of the eligibility rules for the supplemental draft. Instead of trying to block his entry, they worked out an agreement that resulted in the suspension. They never mentioned the conduct that caused him to be suspended in college.

Needless to say if Dennard faces any kind of NFL discipline, it would be so out of bounds it would make the StarCaps court case seem like a walk in the park. With all the other irons they have in the litigation fire, adding another case on such shaky legal grounds would be insane.

Alfonzo Dennard sentenced today - April 11th..

couldn't see a thread... what are we expecting he gets? I honestly don't know, but significant jail time obviously makes a CB who can play outside our #1 priority IMO..

Re: Alfonzo Dennard sentenced today - April 11th..

couldn't see a thread... what are we expecting he gets? I honestly don't know, but significant jail time obviously makes a CB who can play outside our #1 priority IMO..

The state fortunately does not have the death penalty. Goodell's request was denied.

Re: Alfonzo Dennard sentenced today - April 11th..

Try this one http://www.patsfans.com/new-england...9406-dennard-getting-sentenced-thursday.html

Mods - MERGE.

Anyway - to continue from the previous thread -
-you would think the judge would make it all probationary type - suspended sentence based on the 'shady' testimony; .........but technically this is punishment phase; and 'guilt' was supposedly ALREADY DETERMINED.....

So 'shady testimony' isnt SUPPOSED TO BE a point of consideration.

Prior history, history since event, potential for future acts of same kind, and expressed contrition (which presumes you are 'freely' admitting guilty and not just living with the verdict) are I believe the 'accepted' points of consideration. The first three areas (particularly future as an nfl big earner) he should garner sympathy. Wild card is #4 -depends on how much the judge wants to see it and what tactic to display any he & his lawyers take (stick by the 'I did nothing wrong' line, go the other way and admit 'I was bad, but I've learned'; or go in the middle somehow)

&

if ANY COMMISSIONER was going to try and set a new precedent of suspension for acts committed prior to being an actual NFL player and it it was going to be a player from ANY PARTICULAR TEAM.....

Go-to-Hell and the Patriots is the MAGIC EIGHT-BALL HELL YES answer.

We shall see....

Just checked into Twitter and SMY has a play-by-play on the goings on:

shalise manza young ‏@shalisemyoung 5m
Bill Belichick and Nebraska coach Bo Pellini both wrote letters of support for Dennard

Edit: Here's SMY's twitter account for those who want to follow along.

https://twitter.com/shalisemyoung

shalise manza young‏@shalisemyoung41s
sentence for Dennard: probation for 24 months on each charge, to be served concurrently, but 30 days in jail starting March 1, 2014

Probabtion + 30 days in jail starting next March.

He's Free for football :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back