PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Dennard Carted off

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've googled everywhere but can't find the time and place of Dennard's funeral to pay my respects

How will he get in shape then? You cant practice on PUP. He will go on active pup perhaps during camp. He will be kept on the roster so he can practice and get up to speed.

Only way he goes on reserve pup is more setbacks. It looks like that wont happen.

I had back surgery 25 years ago, in the dark ages. L4-L5 disc trimming (I had been in agony for 9 months before my Doc finally let me see the surgeon).

I felt better in the recovery room than I had in those 9 months. I was back to free weight weightlifting the next week, but only for exercises that had my back isolated and supported (bench press), with my neurosurgeon's advice and blessing.

Gronk won't be simply lying around eating bon bons. He could miss a few games, but hey, that might not be a bad thing. Gives Brady and Ballard/Fells/whomever some time to build some chemistry.

Injuries can improve team depth, and as long as the playmakers are back in game shape for the stretch run and playoffs...

Then stop banging your head against a brick wall and just let the bricks fall on you so that you can stop typing your know-it-all comments without any foundation.

:bricks:

Do you realize how ironic your statement is?

As long as it's not season ending....

Dennard was probably as much, if not more important as Talib to the defense/secondary turnaround in the 2nd half. Given Talib's durability issues Dennard would be one of the more crucial losses on the team.

If Dennard was badly injured I am sure we would have heard from several media sources by now ....I haven't seen any.

Yawn

McCourty (Elite) is waiting in the wings to return to his natural position and Arrington is directly after him.

Chillax my homies.

While my wild guess is that Dennard will be fine (it's still 3 months to opening day), I'd prefer to hear soon that it was just a precaution to have him carted off.

As for his potential replacements, Arrington is a dumpster fire who you don't want as anything more than a slot corner and McCourty was much closer to dumpster fire than elite last time he played corner. He's also needed substantially more at safety (and he's a far better safety than corner) because otherwise you're left with one of Tavon Wilson or Steve Gregory playing every down. And Wilson is still an unknown, while Gregory is known... to be bad. And Adrian Wilson also isn't an everydown cover safety, either. No, McCourty is a safety for good.

Dennard will be back at some point during the season. Good thing the Patriots drafted a CB and the demise of Ras-I Dowling seems to have been only a rumor started by haters.

Dowling's looked good without pads on. The guy's played, what, 3 games in 2 years? There's still hope for him, but let's not pretend he's anything more than a huge question mark who's far from a lock to make the team. Dennard, on the other hand, is a solid NFL starter, a known commodity who started and played well for over half the season last year.

If Gronk has to miss games, I'd rather have it be the first 2-3 games rather than the last 2-3. It's all in how you end.

How will he get in shape then? You cant practice on PUP. He will go on active pup perhaps during camp. He will be kept on the roster so he can practice and get up to speed.

Only way he goes on reserve pup is more setbacks. It looks like that wont happen.
Not suppose to practice that is ;)

This what I hate about the media. Jason Pierre-Paul is having a similar back surgery within a week or two of Gronk, but there aren't dozens of articles about doom and gloom for JPP's immediate or long term future by the media.

Back surgery for Giants defensive end Jason Pierre-Paul
I had the exact same thought this morning. An Associated Press piece in this morning's Globe began with,"...Jason Pierre Paul should be ready for the start of the season after having surgery to repair a herniated disc in his lower back on Tuesday...(Paul's) recovery...about 12 weeks...(Paul) is expected to miss all of training camp and most of the pre-season, but should be ready for...the opener...on September 8." So, some have speculated that Gronkowski should miss anywhere from 6 weeks on PUP to missing the entire season. Gronk is several months younger than Pierre Paul, so why the difference in prognoses? Gee, let me guess...And don't tell me it's because Gronk had back surgery in college. Different disc and the prior one is completely healed and not the source of this problem.

Ya it is almost comical.

I think when the news broke that Gronk might be getting back surgery (keyword might, as it wasn't a sure thing at the time) NFL.com had the front page main article as "Life without Gronk" and it had a few people giving predictions on how the AFC East would play out without Gronk and iirc the majority had the Dolphins winning the east.

Yet JPP is getting back surgery and it's almost a non-story. Yet isn't the Giants defensive success predicated on their pass rush? We all saw last year what kind of team the Giants are without it.

But because the Giants are a media darling he should be back full health by the start of the season and back to his 16.5 sack self and not the 6.5 he got last year.

But Gronk on the other hand, is getting "preventative-maintenance" surgery and some people in the media have him anywhere from missing the first six games to only having about 2-3 good more years to his career basically being over.

But then again this is the same media that after Brady's injury and then his infection thought the Pats should trade him and go with Cassel.

Ya it is almost comical.

I think when the news broke that Gronk might be getting back surgery (keyword might, as it wasn't a sure thing at the time) NFL.com had the front page main article as "Life without Gronk" and it had a few people giving predictions on how the AFC East would play out without Gronk and iirc the majority had the Dolphins winning the east.

Yet JPP is getting back surgery and it's almost a non-story. Yet isn't the Giants defensive success predicated on their pass rush? We all saw last year what kind of team the Giants are without it.

But because the Giants are a media darling he should be back full health by the start of the season and back to his 16.5 sack self and not the 6.5 he got last year.

But Gronk on the other hand, is getting "preventative-maintenance" surgery and some people in the media have him anywhere from missing the first six games to only having about 2-3 good more years to his career basically being over.

But then again this is the same media that after Brady's injury and then his infection thought the Pats should trade him and go with Cassel.

JMC - so are you thinking that the worst case scenario is that Gronk might miss the first couple of games of the season? As far as characterizing this as a "preventative-maintenance" surgery, this is coming from who again?

Considering the source of this characterization, I would defer from the doctor performing the surgical procedure and as of right now, the doctor is not talking for obvious reasons.

Maybe because JPP has no history of back injury and Gronk had one that took him off teams boards and dropped him to the 2nd round :rolleyes: nah, couldn't be that.

I had the exact same thought this morning. An Associated Press piece in this morning's Globe began with,"...Jason Pierre Paul should be ready for the start of the season after having surgery to repair a herniated disc in his lower back on Tuesday...(Paul's) recovery...about 12 weeks...(Paul) is expected to miss all of training camp and most of the pre-season, but should be ready for...the opener...on September 8." So, some have speculated that Gronkowski should miss anywhere from 6 weeks on PUP to missing the entire season. Gronk is several months younger than Pierre Paul, so why the difference in prognoses? Gee, let me guess...And don't tell me it's because Gronk had back surgery in college. Different disc and the prior one is completely healed and not the source of this problem.

When it is Gronk having back surgery, there is no such thing as a minor back surgery and it could be career threatening. When it is another player, it is so simple that they might be able to do it between drills at the OTAs.

JMC - so are you thinking that the worst case scenario is that Gronk might miss the first couple of games of the season? As far as characterizing this as a "preventative-maintenance" surgery, this is coming from who again?

Considering the source of this characterization, I would defer from the doctor performing the surgical procedure and as of right now, the doctor is not talking for obvious reasons.

Please show me where I said I was thinking that

Oh what's that, you can't?

I said "some people in the media".

From here on out don't quote my posts and ask me dumb questions.

Please show me where I said I was thinking that

Oh what's that, you can't?

I said "some people in the media".

From here on out don't quote my posts and ask me dumb questions.

I asked you what you thought was the worst case scenario regarding Gronkowski missing time.

As for your comment regarding Gronkowski's "preventative maintenance" characterization, exactly who said that it was a "preventative maintenance" procedure?

I asked you what you thought was the worst case scenario regarding Gronkowski missing time.

As for your comment regarding Gronkowski's "preventative maintenance" characterization, exactly who said that it was a "preventative maintenance" procedure?

It was Drew Rosenhaus:

“This is a new injury and it’s minor, it’s not as significant [as his prior back injury],” Rosenhaus said. “I don’t think it’s a big deal, I think it’s more preventive maintenance than anything else. It’s something that, although he needs it, he’s had it for a while and he’s been able to function.”

Rob Gronkowski’s Back Surgery Is ‘Minor,’ Doesn’t Change Recovery Timetable, According to Drew Rosenhaus | New England Patriots | NESN.com

But most of the media said the surgery wasn't neccessary this offseason, but the Pats and Gronk decided to do it this offseason since the recovery timeline is about the same as his arm surgery recovery. He could have waited to next year's offseason if they chose to, but they wanted to get it out of the way.

It was Drew Rosenhaus:

Rob Gronkowski’s Back Surgery Is ‘Minor,’ Doesn’t Change Recovery Timetable, According to Drew Rosenhaus | New England Patriots | NESN.com

But most of the media said the surgery wasn't neccessary this offseason, but the Pats and Gronk decided to do it this offseason since the recovery timeline is about the same as his arm surgery recovery. He could have waited to next year's offseason if they chose to, but they wanted to get it out of the way.

http://espn.go.com/boston/nfl/story/_/id/9322886/rob-gronkowski-new-england-patriots-back-surgery

Ok - I just wanted to confirm that you guys knew that it was Drew Rosenhaus who made the comment about this being a "preventative maintenance" procedure.

Without throwing jabs at Rosenhaus - is Rosenhaus the ultimate authority on Gronkowski's timetable to return and is he a medical expert?

As much as I would like to believe Rosenhaus that this procedure is "minor", I think that it is more than appropriate to wait to see and/or hear how Gronkowski's surgery goes and how his recovery is from a separate procedure that doesn't involve his collegiate injury to his back.

I think that he is going to start the season on PUP for 6 weeks and one of the those reasons is that he will not be in football condition come week 3 of the pre-season schedule. I think that is a reasonable expectation considering the medical issues that he has had this off-season and his lack of participation in the off-season training program, including the organized team activities.

And when someone like Karen Guregian has a similar train of thought, I am fairly certain that her opinion is not only consistent based on her interviews but with someone that is certainly with a record of not attempting to grab inflammatory headlines.

Rob Gronkowski of the New England Patriots will have back surgery - ESPN Boston

Ok - I just wanted to confirm that you guys knew that it was Drew Rosenhaus who made the comment about this being a "preventative maintenance" procedure.

Without throwing jabs at Rosenhaus - is Rosenhaus the ultimate authority on Gronkowski's timetable to return and is he a medical expert?

As much as I would like to believe Rosenhaus that this procedure is "minor", I think that it is more than appropriate to wait to see and/or hear how Gronkowski's surgery goes and how his recovery is from a separate procedure that doesn't involve his collegiate injury to his back.

I think that he is going to start the season on PUP for 6 weeks and one of the those reasons is that he will not be in football condition come week 3 of the pre-season schedule. I think that is a reasonable expectation considering the medical issues that he has had this off-season and his lack of participation in the off-season training program, including the organized team activities.

And when someone like Karen Guregian has a similar train of thought, I am fairly certain that her opinion is not only consistent based on her interviews but with someone that is certainly with a record of not attempting to grab inflammatory headlines.

So you don't want to listen to Rosenhaus since he isn't a doctor, even though he has direct knowledge of the situation; but do rely on Rosenthal and Guregian guesses. How about just stop making ill-informed assumptions about when he will be back and taking an actual wait and see approach?

So you don't want to listen to Rosenhaus since he isn't a doctor, even though he has direct knowledge of the situation; but do rely on Rosenthal and Guregian guesses. How about just stop making ill-informed assumptions about when he will be back and taking an actual wait and see approach?

Ah - yea, I won't listen to Rosenhaus because while he may have direct knowledge from the client, the man is, among other characterizations, a spin doctor.

Drew Rosenhaus - T.O. Apology... Next Question - YouTube

As far as relying on Guregian's reporting, I would trust her and her reporting long before the rose-colored perspective from the client's agent.

With that said - I am hopeful that he returns prior to the beginning of the pre-season schedule but I wouldn't be too optimistic of it because of his lack of activity to the off-season training program, including OTA's.

And - that may not be such a bad thing as long as he is fully healthy for the playoffs which in the end is much more important than being 100% healthy at the beginning of the season.

Rosenhaus has said its "minor" surgery. Gronk has called it "preventive maintenance" and optional. Rosenhaus said the recovery was coterminous with Gronk's last forearm surgical procedure, which will have taken place about 6 weeks before the back procedure commences.Doomers and sportwriters took that to mean it will take 10-12 weeks from the time of Gronk's back surgery to be able to START getting in athletic shape.Conclusion: He will just about be beginning to get in shape by the beginning of the season. Only they added two months to the schedule, by NOT thinking. Talk about people saying the same things and yet totally miscommunicating. Willie McGinnest on NFLN interviewed a doctor and also revealed his own experiences with back surgery. The doctor said about 10-12 weeks before he is fully in shape to play football. Willie said in both his surgeries, it was 5-7 weeks before he could start getting in shape, and was fully ready to play a month later.Gronk should have completed his forearm recovery by mid to end of July, and can thjeoretically begin to get in shape for the season. Gronk's back procedure will release him to getting into football shape about the same time. Remember he no longer has a broken arm. The last procedure merely disturbed the muscles to put in a replacement plate, so recovery from this procedure should be faster. So Gronk has virtually all of TC, which starts at the end of July, to get in football shape for the season. Isn't that what training camp is all about, for veterans who know the system and plays ? But that presupposes that he can do nothing earlier. BOLOGNA!!All the exercise equipment for arm, forearm, wrist and hand exercise in the gym, are devoid of back involvement. There are also plenty of cardio and leg machines that avoid back stress, from stationary bikes to sliders. Applying common sense, apparently a missing commodity here, I would expect Gronk to have largely regenerated his atrophied forearm muscles by the start of training camp. I would also expect that his endurance and cardio conditioning will probably be pretty accomplished by then too.The doctors would probably require he do so, as part of his recovery. More than likely, most of the second 4-6 weeks is principally allocated to such workouts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back