Demps Signing, Time For A Reality Check Pats Fans

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsFans.com Article

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Demps Signing, Time For A Reality Check Pats Fans
By: Steve Balestrieri

The Patriots have been enamored by speed guys before, do the names Bethel Johnson, Chad Jackson, Antwan Harris, Terrence Wheatley ring a bell? ...

Even though Bethel is known as a bust, what if we didn't have him in 2003? What if he didn't have those 2 huge returns in Indy and we wind up losing that game? We may have to travel to Indy in the AFCC.

I don't care if Demps never contributes a lick at RB, if he can become a playmaking KR for us he's worth a spot IMO.

Good article with sound points. However, as per my earlier post in another thread, Demps' signing by the Patriots is not official yet. Let's see how this plays out, and let's hope if he does sign with the Pats, he has to make the team, and that the team made no signing concessions for a roster spot.

Even though Bethel is known as a bust, what if we didn't have him in 2003? What if he didn't have those 2 huge returns in Indy and we wind up losing that game? We may have to travel to Indy in the AFCC.

I don't care if Demps never contributes a lick at RB, if he can become a playmaking KR for us he's worth a spot IMO.

This is what I mainly want to see from Demps this year:

Trindon Holliday 90 yard Kickoff Return Touchdown vs. Carolina Panthers 2012 (SD) - YouTube

Anything beyond that is a bonus. Long term is a different question.

If you compare Demps to Bethel Johnston, um, cool. Bethel was a good kick returner. That is all we want/expect from a rookie free agent.

Bethel Johnson had 3000 return yards in three years with the Pats. His rookie year he averaged 28 yards a kick. He helped us win games.

If Demps does that, I'd do jumping jacks.

Comparing Bethel Johnson to Jeff Demps is simple a bad analogy. Demps is a rookie UDFA, who had a mid to low predaft grade (depending on who you believe). That alone makes the signing worthwhile. Its a value that will cost the Pats relatively nothing to see what he will do.

At worst we upgraded the position of KR, (though no one is likely going to improve on that until the blocking gets better.) At best we have a young Sprolles/McCluster type RB who can add a different dimension to the offense. Not necessarily this season, but on into the future.

As to all the other Florida speedsters you mentioned: They are apples to oranges comparisons.

Last edited:
Steve, Steve, Steve
I don't know what to say about such a moronic premise
Bethel Johnson was a key contributor in winning several Pats games.
Big TD catch against the Tits in a close playoff game.
Excellent KR.

Bethel was a dreaded 2nd round pick while Demp is an UDFA. There is a difference. Trust me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Back