Welcome to PatsFans.com

Demonizing time line?

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by blackglass3, May 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blackglass3

blackglass3 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -1

No Jersey Selected

I am trying to figure out when it all went south for the Patriots in the medias eyes.

I remember people REALLY kicking up all the "BB Is EVIL~~!" talk around the second Jets/Pats game last year with all the handshake crap. Then after we beat the Chargers I thought the media wouldn't be able to hate us any more than they did that week (Classless, like their Head Coach was played about 1000 times), and I thought it would die down some after we lost to the Colts. But it never really did. It seemed like after we got Moss and AD, people were just searching for a reason to kick the rhetoric into overdrive, and Cameragate provided that opportunity. And then even this season it went from suspend BB for a game to break Brady's leg on a dirty play to 18-1 to suspend BB for life.

But, the thing is why? Obviously, Bill Belichick has always been the same guy. He was just as stingy with giving the media anything back in 01 as he is now. What was the exact moment things changed from "Dynasty" to "Evil Empire"?

Also, how does this story keep getting new legs? The talk had died down a bit during the playoffs, and then of course the days before the Super Bowl. But now Walsh has talked, nothing new happened, and Goodell said repeatedly nothing new will come as far as punishment. That was Tuesday. It's Sunday and we are still seeing every reporter that writes for a paper or website throwing op-ed pieces up.

And finally, how much longer can this story really go on? Another week? A month? Could they possibly stretch it into September?
  2. PaulRevere

PaulRevere Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I think you will see these negative stories about BB

as long as he is here. It's a test of wills between the media who want to be the story and the Pats who are the story. Adding to the mix are the fans who for the most part side with the team only serves to frustrate/PO the media even more. You can even see the friction between a number of media members who resent the access that some get and they don't and it spills into their work.

I also think you see them auditioning for other jobs as they show how "objective" they can be in the face of all the homerism.
  3. Patriot_in_NY

Patriot_in_NY Rookie

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0

For me, it was the LT and the Chargers crying at the end of the the 06 Playoff lose in SD.
  4. nelly57

nelly57 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I've been casually following BB ever since he was the DC for the giants.

IMO, its has been pent up since he does shut off media folks and trained his players not to talk. Also, he did the same at Cleveland and some of the older writer around here got biased by their colleagues at Ohio.

BTW, I find it ironic that one of the most vocal critcs when Kraft hired BB was Holley. IIRC, he was covering baseball or basketball at Cleveland for a stint, he heard bad stories of BB from his bud that cover the brown. I give props to Holley for shedding off his bias and changing his tune once he got to cover BB more often.
  5. 40yrpatsfan

40yrpatsfan PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

It was clearly the Herald article. Prior to that, the media was letting Spygate go, and it was being put into its proper perspective that maybe "cheating" wasn't really the right term for what happened. The initial Spygate in Sept hurt, because then they started to focus on handshaking and other bs, but everyone knew that was all superfluous crap.

But add to that a tape of another team's practice?? That's indefensible on technical grounds, certain proof that we ARE talking about pure cheating.

The whole world made up their minds all at once that BB was a cheater. A retraction 3 months later isn't going to fix that.
    Last edited: May 18, 2008
  6. PaulRevere

PaulRevere Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

BTW - Have you noticed that BB's entire history is being rewritten?

Folks seemed to have forgotten how he turned that pathetic Browns team around in his tenure there. The last year was a disaster but mostly due to the idiot owner announcing he was moving the team in the middle of the season.

I can't believe how many idiot statements I've seen that says he did nothing until he got to New England.
  7. blackglass3

Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -1

No Jersey Selected

Re: BTW - Have you noticed that BB's entire history is being rewritten?

I agree. People seem to forget that the Bronws were alot of peoples pick as AFC Champs the year they got moved to Baltimore.
  8. PonyExpress

PonyExpress Rookie

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0

Here is the unfortunate timeline that led league insiders, prominent coachs/GMs, and media to try to force BB's firing:

1. Creating a winning machine like no one had thought possible in the salary cap era, with no end in sight. Fear leads people to do irrational and evil things, and terror was what inspired alot of lesser men to conspire against the LION.

2. The move of Mangini to the Jets. The goal from Day one was to topple the Patriots and the Jets' arch enemy, on a personal level, BB. From that moment we saw unprecedented coverage by the NYPost of BB's personal life, in crude and uncomfirmable reports, that IMo were intended to humilate him with the Krafts and create a context for his termination. This was the first example of the Jets practice of using the willing media as propaganda for their ends. They used the same method in the aftermath of cameragate, stirring up an unprecented tempest in a teapot, principally through the NY tabloids. As you may have noticed, all such new stories stemming from NY about BB's personal life dried up almost immediately after Cameragate broke, when IMO Goodell finally had the sense to tell the Jets to put a sock in it.

3. The accession to power of Goodell, a buffoon in the classic sense, with all the ego of a powerful man, but none of the intelligence or political savvy that characterized his able predecessors. Easily manipulated and unable to brook any argument, he let his ego run wild after meting out punishment to a few players, allowed himself to be used by others interests in the league to move against BB.

4. BB's rebuke of Charley Casserly: "Why don't you talk to Casserly? He's got all the answers." I believe this was in response to the idea of "Star Wars" intelligence gathering by teams in '06 mentioned on CBS pregame show, in which Casserly inferred that the Pats were a prime suspect and the league was looking to act. Casserly is a favorite in the league hierarchy and I believe had served on the competition committee prior to leaving Houston, and was able to return fire at BB through his league connections and media pulpit.

5. Removing the jets camera man during the playoff game: This set the stage for the sting in '07 game 1. Mangini and Tannenbaum got full of themselves after a tasted of success in the big city, conceived of themselves as "the Turk" trying to take down "Don Vito Corleone", with the help of the Tartaglia the pimp (Polian) and Barzini (Goodell). But guess what? The Godfather lives, and knows who his enemies are. Mangini really took his cameo on the sopranos to heart, but in the worst way.

6. Defeating Marty Schottenheimer, and causing his termination. Marty, like Parcells has his own "tree", consisting of Cowher, H. Edwards, H. Mudd, and many many others throughout the league. The upset of the Chargers, the supposedly "classless" celebration (which I enjoyed) and Marty's firing by Aj Smith caused extreme anger toward the Patriots from prominent NFL people such as Ditka, who knew it was MArty's last best chance to win the SB.

7. The supposed "lack of handshake" with Dungy after the AFCCG loss. And the halting post game interview with Solomon Wilcots. I guess a man's not allowed to be crushed after a crushing loss.

8. Brady dumped his "pregnant" girlfriend. None of us knows the timeline of that relationship, and the personal affairs of multimillionaires are not our concern. Whatever happens, the child will have advantages none of us could imagine. The moral outrage was ridiculous.

9. The drafting of Meriweather: a "no character" guy in the estimation of many observers, it continued the "Pats have no class" mantra.

10. THE ACQUISITION OF MOSS: this is what sent people over the edge. The Pats essentially tampered with Moss, and forced a trade for pennies on the dollar for the best receiver in the NFL, who refused to go elsewhere. This is what really got the notice of the competition committee, especially Polian and Fisher, who IMO agreed to set up a sting with the Jets IOT force the commissioner to take away the 1st rd pick that it should have cost the Pats to acquire Moss. The ultimate goal was to force "good guy grandpa" Kraft to buckle under intense media pressure and fire BB.

11. Cameragate: This was maybe the most absurd set-up in football history. A common practice, that the Jets themselves regularly engaged in, going back at least to Herman Edwards, was treated as the most egregious offense in NFL history. The competition committee and Jets got one of their goals fulfilled, the removal of the Randy Moss 1st rdr, but they failed in their ultimate goal,the suspension/firing of BB.

IMO Tony Dungy was in on this fiasco, because he immediately spoke up against BB with none of th facts in hand, pressuring for his termination/suspension. The timing seemed calculated IMO.

12. The Walsh groupies: Walsh had been putting feelers out for years, and [my guess] is that Borges was the missing link between a local rumor and a national one. Just a hunch. It seems too perfect that a man fired for journalistic "cheating", who may have felt "set-up" himself, attempted to "take-out" mob style his arch enemy as vengeance. He had the national contacts to make it happen. He was virtually invisible all last year. What was he doing while the furor broke? Laying low. IMO Borges was the very trusted source (but not the inside source) to which Tomase referred in his "explanation".

13. The Easterbrook/Comcast/Spector connection: Maybe it's real maybe it isn't. But these names have been associated for several years in topics unrelated to "Liegate" and they worked in lockstep throughout the buildup of LIEGATE.

Do you remember the gist of Easterbrook's original allegations?

-The Pats used bugging devices, cut phone communications, tape walkthroughs, used film in game, and every other nefarious deed imaginable.

ALL FALSE. Scumbag.

14. Running up the score: never mentioned as a problem during Dungy's blow out seasons, such as '04. Then it was just "football at its finest"

15. Brady going for Manning's record: by "running up the score"

16. Time to injure Brady, according to Wilbon and others around the league.

17. The undefeated season: smeared from day 1 by that raggedy old bag of smashed @$$holes, Shula, and his cronies, who constantly suggested Brady was a fraud due to "Cameragate"

18. LIEGATE: The final blow.

But, the Godfather is still standing. The enemies of the Pats around the league should be worried. It may not come soon, but eventually there will be (legal and legitimate) vengeance, at the appropriate time. Hopefully on the field.
  9. MoLewisrocks

MoLewisrocks PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0

It went south for Belichick back in Cleveland. The media here attacked him unmercifully from the moment they realized he was the next HC of the NEP (he was reported to be mentally unbalanced after he scrawled his resignation on a ****tail napkin and handed it to the GM of the NYJ). They then dogged him through his first and last losing season here. He was Kraft's big mistake, one they could have told him not to make if only he had listened to them. The very Dean of Boston Football writers labled him as "duplicitous pond scum".

Then came 2001 and a lot of egg on the face for Boston football mediots who had relied on each others assessments and those of their Cleveland peers who NEVER saw that one coming. They were forced to back off, for a time, but quietly reveled in 2002 which they believed was a sign of things to come - a lucky one and done with the wrong QB traded off to undobtedly haunt us into infinity.

Then came 2003 (and the publication of Patriot's Reign which also proved that being a critic was not the access killer mediots portrayed it to be) and 2004 and they knew they were for all intents and purposes (or intensive purposes...) screwed. Except for Wrong who shifted from dink and dunk to personal inuendo mode because he'd never say uncle even to save his career.

By 2005 the local media who had been mostly forced to go to ground had found an ally in the national mediots who were just sick and tired of covering a boring dynasty. They fed them all the convoluted background they needed to shape the image of an arrogant prick who won't play ball and gets way too much credit for things his players AND COORDINATORS do. By 2006 Bill was again fair game in his home town where it was increasingly obvious since he hadn't been able to win a 4th Superbowl in 5 years absent RAC and Charlie he was a fraud genius. Then there was the shabby manner in which he treated another emerging genius on his staff - not shaking hands with a guy he mentored who merely stole laptops and assistants on his way out a door he was warned he was exiting too soon and for an ill advised position with a notoriously mismanaged division rival. By the time he came to within a minute of going to yet another Superbowl with Reche Caldwell as Brady's #1 WR in January 2007, the media knew he had to be destroyed for the good of the league.

In September necessity met opportunity courtesy of, naturally, the HC of the NYJ. Only much to their dismay, Belichick not only survived, he morphed into the Terminator - the thing you may knock down but you just can't kill. Not only that, it comes back better, stronger, faster, undefeated... So it was time to go tactical nuclear with the only warhead in their arsenal, Matt Walsh and the rumor he taped a SB walkthrough. No HC could survive taping a SB walkthrough. Only 3 months after launch it turns out the warhead was a dud - because there was NO TAPE. It left crater, as all warheads do, but the mushroom cloud never materialized. For the media this represented an almost unfathomable defeat. But as often happens, the most driven among the vanquished will refuse to acknowledge defeat, preferring to cast it as merely a setback. They have lost the battle but not the war. Fortunately they are out of ammo save a few stray bullits they will continue to fire as any opportunity to snipe at him presents itself. Kinda like those delusional Japanese soldiers who maintained their island positions years after the second world war ENDED.

I'd like to think it's over, but from a media standpoint it will never be until those most heavily invested in the War on Belichick are rounded up and sent to the old soldiers home. Hopefully Bill will outlast the majority of them as well as continue to outwit the their league toadies. The good news is history isn't written by these clowns, it is written with perspective ten or twenty years down the road, long after their shrill voices have faded into oblivion. Much like Ted Williams, only with several world championship rings on his fingers, Bill will eventually be portrayed as the greatest football mind and coach in a generation who was, as is almost always the case where media and egos are involved, merely misunderstood and to some extent resented by the media covering him in his day.

As soon as next week, or by November at the latest, the league and the media will have other pressing agenda's to push and axes to grind as the opt out is exercised on the CBA. Of course some (Easterbrooke would be my first choice) will probably attempt to make the case that that too is all Belichick's fault, the distraction HE created having forced the league to waste precious time when they could have been dealing with more important issues (as if they ever would have...). Not to mention his personal assault on...parity.
  10. PonyExpress

PonyExpress Rookie

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0

Wow. I enjoyed your breakdown way more than my own. Love the Japanese soldiers in their caves analogy. I agree that Easterbrook if he is still employed by ESPN at that time, of which i have my doubts, will insinuate the Krafts will bring down the CBA as vengeance. Frankly, I wouldn't mind it too much, I'm holding some major grudges after this debacle.
  11. nelly57

nelly57 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Parcells once said something to the effect; when you become successful, you have another sets of problem to deal with.

IMO, both Kraft and BB are smart enuf to realize this. Also, thickskin enuf to weather thru this.
    Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2008
  12. blackglass3

Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -1

No Jersey Selected

I actually liked your breakdown as well as MoLewis's. You were both very insightful.

What would be ideal is if the Pats won the next 2 Super Bowls and then the lockout took place and lasted for a year or two. Let the media and "outraged" fans chew on that during a lockout.
  13. marty

marty Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Kudo's to Pony and Mo - great breakdown!!!! Now lets just move on and enjoy the continued professionalism that comes from Foxboro!
  14. Krugman

Krugman Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Add my name to list of folks who liked those two posts,the fact that I read them entirely is a credit to you both,well written,lots of very good points.Thanks.
  15. mmasterkillah

mmasterkillah Rookie

Ratings:
    +75 / 1 / -1

#11 Jersey

16. PromisedLand

PromisedLand Virtual Internet Person

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Bingo. 10 chars
  17. Tunescribe

Tunescribe PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +666 / 5 / -14

#61 Jersey

Here's a broader-view perspective of the whole syndrome that I think applies to BB's situation and that of others who have experienced uncommon success in career/life. (I copied this from Wikipedia which is public domain, so it's OK to run the whole thing.)

Tall poppy syndrome
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Tall Poppy Syndrome (TPS) is a pejorative term used in the United Kingdom, Australia, Canada and New Zealand to describe what is seen as a levelling social attitude. Someone is said to be suffering from tall poppy syndrome when his or her ascension to a higher economic, social or political position attracts criticism, being perceived as presumptuous, attention seeking or without merit. Alternatively, it is seen as a societal trait in which people of genuine merit are criticized or resented because the attention given them elevates them above their peers.

Etymology

The term originates from accounts in Aristotle
    's Politics (Book 5, Chapter 10) and Livy's History of Rome, Book I. Aristotle wrote: "Periander advised Thrasybulus by cutting the tops of the tallest ears of corn, meaning that he must always put out of the way the citizens who overtop the rest." In Livy's account, the tyrannical Roman King, Tarquin the Proud, received a messenger from his son Sextus Tarquinius asking what he should do next in Gabii, since he had become all-powerful there. Rather than answering the messenger verbally, Tarquinius went into his garden, took a stick, and symbolically swept it across his garden, thus cutting off the heads of the tallest poppies that were growing there. The messenger, tired of waiting for an answer, returned to Gabii and told Sextus what he had seen. Sextus realised that his father wished him to put to death all of the most eminent people of Gabii, which he then did.
    This phenomenon is often interpreted as being based on and resulting from a resentment of others' success[citation needed]. On the other side of the coin, however, such critics see themselves, not as jealous, but as justly deflating the pretensions of those who take themselves too seriously or flaunt their success without due humility.[citation needed] Apparent cases of tall poppy syndrome are thus often explained as resentment not of success but of snobbery and arrogance. Those whose approach to success is seen as suitably humble can escape. Some Australasians who have achieved success and wealth without attracting such hostility include Dick Smith and Stephen Tindall.[citation needed]
    Tall poppy syndrome is frequently invoked as an explanation when a public figure is on the receiving end of negative publicity — even if such publicity can be seen as a result of that person's own misconduct.[citation needed] In Australia, this claim has been made in the cases involving John Laws, Alan Jones, Alan Bond, Ray Williams, Carl Williams.
    Belief in the strength of this cultural phenomenon, and the degree to which it represents a negative trait, is to some extent influenced by politics. Conservative commentators often criticise Australians for their alleged desire to punish the successful. Sometimes, tall poppy syndrome is claimed to be linked to the concept of 'The Politics of Envy'. Critics of the tall poppy syndrome sometimes declare that the United States is relatively free of “tall poppy” attitudes. Americans are thought to appreciate the successful, seeing them as an example to admire and attempt to emulate. In the cultures of the UK and Commonwealth nations, such commentators assert, many resent success of their fellows.[citation needed]
    In Australia, tall poppy syndrome is thought to be on the wane:

Top of the decline list is what is know (sic) as the "tall poppy syndrome," a phrase used to denote the ordinary Australia's lack of respect for wealth, power and assorted pretensions. Tall poppies could once expect to be cut down. This social leveling attitude went hand in hand with belief in concepts such as giving everyone a "a fair go." This was a working man's country which believed — in theory at least — in a fair distribution of income and wealth, thanks in part to some of the world's most highly unionized workers plus a highly formalized system of wage bargaining and of compulsory arbitration of labor disputes. But where once the "tall poppy syndrome" was a source of pride for many Australians, it is now widely viewed as an obstacle to success, wealth creation and excellence. None other than [former] prime minister John Howard has argued, "If there's one thing we need to get rid of in this country it is our tall poppy syndrome."[1]

Those who view themselves as victims of tall poppy syndrome can also be seen as elitists or narcissists. Such people would interpret criticism of their anti-social, sociopathic, corrupt or exploitative behaviour as unjustified because they are, in fact, intrinsically special. A related Australian cultural trait is that of Mateship which prizes equality, loyalty and friendship, i.e. the working-class ethos.
    Some commentators[citation needed] have argued that tall poppy syndrome is a universal phenomenon, that is more common in some cultures. The concepts of janteloven, or "Jante law", in Scandinavia, and A kent yer faither (English: I knew your father) in Scotland, are very similar. Similar phenomena are said to exist in the Netherlands and American minority communities. Benjamin Franklin Fairless, president of United States Steel Corporation (1950), criticized such behaviour when he stated: "You cannot strengthen one by weakening another; and you cannot add to the stature of a dwarf by cutting off the leg of a giant."[2]
    A related concept is that of a crab mentality in which members of a disadvantaged community are seen as undermining the success of community members. The image is drawn from the observation that a crab clawing its way out of a bucket (or barrel in other versions) is pulled back down by his fellows.
    The Japanese proverb "The nail that sticks out gets hammered down" is particularly well known, although this proverbial phrase applies more to conforming to social conventions than to resentment of high achievement and the accumulation of wealth.
    Also closely related is the concept of "Schadenfreude", meaning pleasure taken from someone else's misfortune.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.