Welcome to PatsFans.com

Democrats Making Big Inroads In Party Identification

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Patters, Mar 23, 2008.

1. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +351 / 15 / -12

I'm starting to like parts of the Bush legacy.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/cq/20080323/pl_cq_politics/politics2691748

The Democratic Party has increased its margin in voters who identify with it rather than Republicans, and going into this year's election has increased its advantage among independent voters and in swing states, according to a Pew Research Center survey conducted during the first two months of this year.

Pew says voters now favor the Democrats by a "decidedly larger margin" than the previous two election cycles.

Voters who identify themselves as Independents actually occupy first place at 37 percent, followed by Democrats at 36 percent and Republicans at 27 percent. That's a 3 point gain for Democrats since 2004 and a 6 point drop for Republicans, putting them at their lowest ebb in 16 years.

The Democrats have added to that an edge among self-described independents. In 2004, independents broke roughly evenly among the two parties with 12 percent favoring Democrats and 11 percent the Republicans. But now, 15 percent lean Democratic compared to 10 percent who lean Republican. That means Democrats have a 51 percent to 37 percent margin if the leaners are combined with those who outright identify themselves as being for one party or the other.

2. FreeTedWilliams

FreeTedWilliams pfadmins PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +378 / 46 / -7

#75 Jersey

YEah, but remember convicted felons can't vote!, not even for themsleves

3. otis p. driftwood

otis p. driftwood Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Meh...it's probably just all those Republicans who became Democrats to vote for Hillary and screw up the process.

4. PatsFanInEaglesLand

PatsFanInEaglesLand In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +107 / 9 / -14

#37 Jersey

Exactly, but why ruin their fun.

5. scout

scout Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

Does not look to favorable for the Republicans. I know FTW thinks the housing situation 'is great', but the vast majority think its a major problem. Technically we are not in a recession, tho most Americans are not happy with the economy. I heard Joe Scarborough say that he thinks the Dems will take the White House and have 60 Dems in the House. It seems like every other day I see a Rep. representative calling it quits and not seeking another term. I'm not in favor of a single party dominating these three branches, but it sure is shaping up that way.

6. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +657 / 7 / -2

Republicans only have themselves to blame. They've so strayed from their core principles. To think that they've single handedly increased governemnt to $3.1 Trillion of annual gross inefficiency. Between all the different scandals, waste, wars, etc. why would this news be anything but expected.

7. otis p. driftwood

otis p. driftwood Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

So, your contention is that Republicans have lost voters to the Democrat party because they spent too much money?

How does that compute?

Now, if people were rushing out to start a Conservative party, I could see it.