Welcome to PatsFans.com

Democrats Go More And More Into Personal Attacks

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Wolfpack, Oct 30, 2010.

1. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Really, guys? Calling someone a "convicted criminal" because he used a fake ID in college about 20 years ago? Gee, I thought only Republicans did this. :rolleyes:

Vote 2010 Elections: Democratic Closing Argument: Personal Attacks - ABC News

It's not just the Aqua Buddha and David Vitter's prostitute, Democratic candidates across the country are closing out the campaign with personal attacks on Republican candidates, sometimes digging up decades-old legal problems.

As you watch this year's ads -- and I've been watching all too many lately -- you'll notice a striking difference between Democratic and Republican attack ads: Democrats are attacking over personal issues, Republicans are attacking over policy.
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2010
  2. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +186 / 4 / -6

Those in the lead tend to take the high road. Not that long ago, you might recall an election where ads and robocalls called a certain candidate a Marxist, questioned his citizenship, questioned his faith, and so on. It didn't work. It probbaly won't work this time around. Such tactics ring of desperation.
  3. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Actually, no I don't remember those ads. I think your easily confused mind is mixing up the concepts of an advertisement supported and endorsed by the candidate with the nonsense we see on blogs and assorted internet chatter. If you can point out to me an ad sanctioned by McCain that did any of those things, I will gladly admit to being wrong, but my claim is no such ads exist.
  4. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +186 / 4 / -6

Perhaps I'm confusing it with actually political statements by prominent Republicans.

ThinkProgress Home Page

– Rep. Paul Broun (R-GA) was forced to apologize for “calling President-elect Barack Obama a ‘Marxist’ and comparing him to Adolf Hitler.” [11/12/08]

– Sen. Jim DeMint (R-SC) also compared Obama not only to Hitler, but also Hugo Chavez. [07/09/09]

– Sen. Richard Shelby (R-AL) questioned whether President Obama was an American, saying: “Well, his father was Kenyan and they said he was born in Hawaii, but I haven’t seen any birth certificate. You have to be born in America to be president.” [02/23/09]

– Sen. Jim Inhofe (R-OK) also questioned Obama’s citizenship, saying birthers “have a point” and that “I don’t discourage it.” [07/29/09]

– Rep. Michele Bachmann (R-MN) said she was “very concerned that [Obama] may have anti-American views.” [10/17/08]

– Rep. Trent Franks (R-AZ) called Obama “an enemy of humanity” for his pro-choice views. [09/26/09]

– Former Rep. Tom Tancredo (R-CO) called Obama “a more serious threat to America than al Qaeda,” and said he was “a dedicated enemy of the Constitution.” [07/22/10]

– Rep. Steve King (R-IA) said that the Obama administration was a “gangster government.” [11/12/09]

– Bachmann, too, accuses Obama of heading a “gangster government.” [06/10/09]

– As Republican vice-presidential nominee, Sarah Palin famously said Obama is “palling around with terrorists.” [10/04/10]

– Palin also said the president was being advised by “thugs” from Chicago. [06/10/10]
  5. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

So in other words you admit you were wrong when you said McCain made personal attack ads against Obama. Meanwhile, the Dems have shown this year there is no low to which they won't sink.
  6. chicowalker

chicowalker On the Roster

Ratings:
    +201 / 2 / -2

When did Patters make a claim re. McCain? You restricted it to McCain, after your own general point addressing Dems v Repubs.
  7. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I "restricted it" to actual ads sanctioned by either the party or the candidate himself. It's clear Patters was confusing general internet chatter, miscellaneous quotes and various comment from the blogosphere with actualy ads, sanction by candidates and the party.

I thought the article I quoted made it clear that I was referring to attack ads, but I apologize if I didn't make it clear enough.
  8. chicowalker

Ratings:
    +201 / 2 / -2

OK, so now that we're clear that Patters said nothing about McCain, why are actual comments by Republican pols and candidates offlimits and only ads indicative of a party's attacks? (not talking about blogs -- I don't care what random bloggers and anonymous Internet posters on either side say)
  9. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I started a thread that was meant to be about attack ads. Obviously you cannot refute my comments or the point being made in the ABC article since you are so eager to change the subject.
  10. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +881 / 6 / -16

#87 Jersey

Who are the angrier ones in this forum ?

:confused2:

:confused3:

:confused2:

Well ... I know ... I just would rather leave it open ended.
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2010
  11. chicowalker

Ratings:
    +201 / 2 / -2

You're the one who tried to change the subject to whether John McCain ran attack ads.

Maybe you should try to decide on what your subject is and then stick to it.

Still not sure why you're ok with statements attacking candidates but not with attack ads. I think most people would oppose both.

Regardless, I have no interest in trying to refute your claims. Those of us who dislike both parties know that pols on both sides regularly attack their opponents. Only the blind think it's a oneway street.