Welcome to PatsFans.com

Democrats dare to dream of recapturing the Bush heartland

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Patters, Jun 25, 2006.

1. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +598 / 24 / -19

It's an interesting development that some Republicans are changing parties. I've read articles as long ago as a couple years ago about some evangelical churches are tired of the polarizing issues and want to focus on helping the needy. Wouldn't it be ironic if the those people who Rove exploited with messages biblical intolerance rejected that and joined the Democrats to help the poor and needy. If this is really true, it makes John Edwards (my choice for now) a very worthy candidate for president, for he talks a lot about the poor.

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/world/story/0,,1805330,00.html?gusrc=rss

The squat, bunker-like building in a south Topeka suburb does not look like a place to turn American politics on its head. Nor does Mark Parkinson, a tall, affable man, look too much like a revolutionary. But here, deep in the American heartland, are the warning signs of a political earthquake.

The two-storey office block is Parkinson's campaign headquarters as he runs as Democrat candidate for deputy governor. So far, so normal. Except that only a few weeks ago Parkinson was a Republican. In fact, he was Kansas Republican party chairman.

His defection to the Democrats sent shockwaves through a state deeply associated with the national Republican cause and the evangelical conservatives at its base. Nor was it just Parkinson's leave-taking that left Republicans spluttering with rage and talking of betrayal. It was that as he left Parkinson lambasted his former party's obsession with conservative and religious issues such as gay marriage, evolution and abortion.

Sitting in his headquarters, the new Democrat is sticking to his guns. Republicans in Kansas, he says, have let down their own people. 'They were fixated on ideological issues that really don't matter to people's everyday lives. What matters is improving schools and creating jobs,' he said. 'I got tired of the theological debate over whether Charles Darwin was right.'

But in a swath of heartland states such as Kansas, Democrats are seeing the first signs of their party's rebirth. Parkinson is not alone in switching sides. In Virginia, Jim Webb, a one-time Reagan official, is seeking to be a Democrat senator. In South Carolina, top Republican prosecutor Barney Giese has defected after a spat with conservatives. Back in Kansas another top Republican, Paul Morrison, also joined the Democrats and is challenging a Republican to be the state attorney-general.

2. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +2,025 / 44 / -31

#24 Jersey

I like to remain independant but I said last election that the wrong person was running for President out of the 2.

John Edwards is intelligent and open minded... 2 values that we need to move to the top of the list. If you remember Patters, i wrote several posts saying that out of the 4 men running...John Edwards was way more qualified than Kerry, Bush or Cheney.

yes he's a democrat and yes he's bit liberal for most. But I could easily see him becoming more of a moderate democrat because of his intelligence and open mindedness.

Compare his listening and open mind skills to Bush I and II and Clinton and he is better than all. Clinton was a bit too much reactive to polls and Bush is way to reactive to the party insiders.

Edwards could be a Democratic version of Reagan in that he might relate well with the people...always a good thing.

3. mikey

mikey In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

I seriously doubt if the Democrats can capture the Republican heartland.

Kansas and South Carolina are out of the picture. These are the "reddest" or the red states. Virginia, maybe.

I still think the 2008 Presidential election will come down to the Buckeye state.

The key to Ohio is the election of Ted Strickland to the governor's office. This should put a stop to the Republican Party's chinary (GOP Tom Noe's illegal contribution to Bush). Strickland should also make sure the Diebold machines are working properly.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2006
  4. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +473 / 13 / -14

The real question is can a Dem govenor manage to clean up Philly where there are precints where >100% of registered voters vote....Oh waint they vote for dems, nevermind.;)

5. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +2,025 / 44 / -31

#24 Jersey

MIKEY...HOW NICE IT IS WHEN YOU TALK(type)....WELCOME :D

6. Turd Furguson

Turd Furguson Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

The Dummycrats are dreaming all right.

7. FreeTedWilliams

FreeTedWilliams pfadmins PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +601 / 53 / -9

#75 Jersey

Overboard much? Imagine if we lived by the Apostle's creed instead of the ACLU's??

First off the South Carolina Democrat party is still in debt from the last election and has to borrow money just to pay for it's primary. What y'all fail to realize is that the GOP does not need anymore states, the ones that they have are all solidly growing in electoral votes (and vice versa BTW Georgia now has more electoral votes than Mass!!!!) Look at the US census, red states are growing in population and the blue states are not:

Between 2000-2005
    Georgia's population has increased 10.8%, while Mass is only at 0.8%
    Texas increased by 9.6% while California only by 6.7% (far and away the most by any blue state)

But North and South Carolina now have 22 elctoral votes combined, that is one less electoral vote than Pennsylvania, and as previously pointed out, if they every rid Philly of voter fraud, PA would become a red state. The Carolina's population increased by 6.1% (SC) and 7.9% (NC), while Pa only increased 1.2%. NY only increased 1.5%.

2008 may be the last best chance for the Democrats to ever win the Presidency again! and they are going to run HILLARY!@!!!!!!!

After the next census in 2010! The Democrats will be lucky to garner 200 electoral Votes!! (and that iis if only the election fraud in WI,PA, and IL are allowed to continue!!

8. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +2,025 / 44 / -31

#24 Jersey

Hard to disagree NEM...but i think America will adjust. Their turnout rate is extreme for them. I still say if the lazy Democrats had gotten out to vote...that would have more than made up for any votes that never got cast.

I live in an extremely Democratic town....when i was 18(30 years ago) the lines to vote were long. I can vote anytime of the day now and the line is the same. The Republicans are trouncing in the get out to vote area...the Democrats need to do the same for the vote to represent fairly.

Granted...the Democrats have problems in this area...the elderly and the poor find it hard to vote. Instead of the box on the income tax saying donate to the Presidential race it should say donate for a revamped voting system that includes mobile voting PODS that can be hooked up by trailer and brought to the poor and senior citizens.

9. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +598 / 24 / -19

I don't think we'll see much movement in the next election, but could it be part of a trend? If the Democrats can be competitive in races where they were not competitive before, perhaps in another few elections they could really start winning the heartland. In years past, populist candidates did quite well in the midwest, so there is a type of liberalism that can connect with those people.

10. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +2,025 / 44 / -31

#24 Jersey

I still think a conservative/moderate Democrat could do it.:D The problem is that most of these politicans are more likely to be working in the background.

In any case ... the heartland will never ever warm up to a pompous elitist type candidate (perceived/painted). Any candidate that the GOP can paint that way will not get very far. Al Gore and John Kerry should be examples of personalities to avoid. Compare them to Clinton and my opinion here becomes obvious.