Welcome to PatsFans.com

Democrats Call For Investigation Of Clarence Thomas

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Patters, Oct 3, 2011.

1. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +169 / 4 / -4

Democrats Call For Investigation Of Clarence Thomas | Neon Tommy

The Huffington Post reports:

“Democratic lawmakers on Thursday called for a federal investigation into Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas' failure to report hundreds of thousands of dollars on annual financial disclosure forms.”

Thomas failed to disclose his wife’s income on federal forms for 13 years. She “had hundreds of thousands of dollars of income from conservative organizations, including roughly $700,000 from the Heritage Foundation between 2003 and 2007.”

The LA Times reports:

“Thomas reported ‘none’ in answering specific questions about ‘spousal non-investment income’ on annual forms – answers expressly made ‘subject to civil and criminal sanctions.’” The purpose of the financial disclosure forms is to provide information as to possible conflicts of interest. The groups giving money to Virginia Thomas were groups that “had expressed direct interest in the outcome of cases that came before her husband, including Citizens United vs. Federal Election Commission, in which the court in 2010 struck down limitations on corporate contributions to elections.”

Rather than obligatorily recusing himself from a case in which he might not have been impartial, he chose to hide the possible conflicts of interest and remain on the case.
  2. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +625 / 4 / -13

#87 Jersey

3. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +131 / 7 / -13

Funny he reported the income to the IRS. Case closed.
  4. Patters

Ratings:
    +169 / 4 / -4

If that's true, then I think it supports the contention he was breaking the law to hide his conflict of interest. If he knew enough to report it to the IRS, then he was clearly aware of what he was doing. Hope there's an investigation, but that won't happen with the conservative Holder as AG.

Seems like a coverup to me:

http://articles.latimes.com/2011/jan/22/nation/la-na-thomas-disclosure-20110122

Between 2003 and 2007, Virginia Thomas, a longtime conservative activist, earned $686,589 from the Heritage Foundation, according to a Common Cause review of the foundation's IRS records. Thomas failed to note the income in his Supreme Court financial disclosure forms for those years, instead checking a box labeled "none" where "spousal noninvestment income" would be disclosed.
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2011
  5. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

The racists on the left already brought this up several months ago.
  6. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +131 / 7 / -13

Really?
    His wife doesn't have freedom of speech in her career because he is on the court?

Should she stay pregnant and barefoot in the kitchen while she is at it?

Her activities at Heritage was common knowledge their income was reported to the government, if there was a form that wasn't filled out correctly that was an oversight since demonstrably there was no attempt to hide the income from the government as it was reported to the IRS as opposed to tax cheats like C Rangel who hid income on his forms and didn't report the income to the IRS. I don't recall your support for investigation into Rangel's cheating his fellow taxpayers.
  7. Patters

Ratings:
    +169 / 4 / -4

I was never against investigating Rangel. I try to be fairly consistent in calling for greater transparency. Given the important ethical considerations of Thomas' job, I think an investigation is warranted. After all, the disclosure form is simple, he's a bright guy, and by not disclosing it made it a little easier for him not to recuse himself from cases where there could be a conflict of interest.
  8. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +199 / 7 / -24

The laws on conflict of interest, i.e. ethics violations, are very specific and govern how judges should act..

Attending retreats sponsored by the Koch Brothers raises eyebrows.. and an obvious appearance of impropriety..

From the code.. there is no commentary on race here, even though there are those who want to inject such..

Anybody who claims to be associated with any court system, knows how sacred these rules are..

Code of Conduct for United States Judges

When a judge should recuse themselve in a matter before them..

9. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I'll ask you the same question I asked Darryl when he harped on the same subject several months ago:

Which cases did Clarence Thomas rule on where you think his impartiality was compromised?

For some reason, no one ever answers me when I ask that.
  10. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +199 / 7 / -24

Read response #8 above, anyone involved with the court systems is well aware of ethics violations.. and that thread clearly articulates some of the issues..

It is very clear.. he went to a retreat with the Koch Brothers and regarding his wife who is part of the Heritage Foundation..

;

When you become a judge, the standards as to what you can and cannot do.. change quite a bit. If you spend time in court systems, judges recuse themselves all of the time due to a potential conflict of interest.
  11. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Just because you responded to my post doesn't mean you actually answered the question. :rofl:
  12. Patters

Ratings:
    +169 / 4 / -4

The main issue here is that his wife received over $150,000 from a group that lobbied against health care reform. Thus, he may face a conflict of interest over that looming battle. That said, for some reason, Supreme Court justices are not subjected to the same ethics laws that other federal judges are. Our government at times seems to be a kleptocracy, something that you might agree with, but for different reasons.
  13. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +199 / 7 / -24

Because you obviously do not want to know the answer.. it is clearly articulated in #8 and #10 above..

The question was clearly answered.. not the answer you want, but the answer according to the code of conduct for the federal judiciary..
  14. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +377 / 8 / -3

#11 Jersey

The groups giving money to Virginia Thomas were groups that “had expressed direct interest in the outcome of cases that came before her husband, including Citizens United vs. Federal Election Commission, in which the court in 2010 struck down limitations on corporate contributions to elections.”

In 2001, the American Enterprise Institute (AEI), “a conservative, corporate-aligned think tank…gave Justice Clarence Thomas the gift of a $15,000 bust of Abraham Lincoln.” When AEI filed three cases with the Supreme Court, “Thomas recused [himself] from none of these three cases, and he either voted in favor of the result AEI favored or took a stance that was even further to the right in each case.”

Despite having been an attorney for the corporation Monsanto, Thomas refused to recuse himself when Monsanto brought a case to the Supreme Court in 2010.

Democrats Call For Investigation Of Clarence Thomas | Neon Tommy
  15. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +321 / 4 / -2

Why do you hate black supreme court judges? :p
  16. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +199 / 7 / -24

You would criticize me for hijacking threads... :rolleyes:
  17. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

No one has come close to answering my question. Just because you respond doesn't mean you have answered the question.

By the way, aren't you lecturing someone else about due process and innocent until proven guilty in another thread? Funny how your high minded sanctimony gets thrown out the window when a conservative is involved.
  18. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

So what you're saying is that Thomas would have allied himself with the liberals on those cases had he not received any sort of gifts? I have to say I disagree with you there.

Nothing a liberal hates more than an uppity black or girl who strays off the liberal plantation! You'll never see greater racism or sexism in the public arena than in those instances.
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2011
  19. chicowalker

chicowalker On the Roster

Ratings:
    +161 / 2 / -2

So the "logic" here is that's OK for a justice to take compensation from a party if they're on the side the justice tends to align himself with anyway?

So much for the impartiality you inquired about...
  20. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +377 / 8 / -3

#11 Jersey

What's being said is that Supreme Court decisions are rarely unanimous - and they are often decided on a 5-4 split with only one vote making the decision.

This was the case in the Citizens United matter, in fact. Had Justice Thomas recused himself the ending would have been much different because it would have been an evenly divided vote - in which case the ruling of the lower court would have stood.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citizens_United_v._Federal_Election_Commission
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2011