Welcome to PatsFans.com

Democratic complicity in Bush's torture regimen

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by otis p. driftwood, Apr 11, 2008.

1. otis p. driftwood

otis p. driftwood Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

http://www.salon.com/opinion/greenwald/2007/12/09/democrats/

Salon dot com...hardly FoxNews, huh?
    Oh, and the writer? He's:
  2. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +608 / 4 / -12

#87 Jersey

Bump...........
  3. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +128 / 7 / -13

Looks like some folks are hiding.....
  4. weswelker#83

weswelker#83 Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

Wait a minute , what is is this ?

5. Wildo7

Wildo7 Totally Full of It

Ratings:
    +39 / 2 / -0

While the democrats were inexcusable in not standing up to this (amongst many other things); every time they voiced any opposition to the "war on terror" they were accused of "sympathizing with terrorists" and idiots like Fake World claimed that they "supported Saddam" because they opposed certain methods of the administration. This is a criticism that Americans should have of democrats for failing to be a sufficient opposition party. However; because they were the driving force behind these crimes, and because of their own "Rovian" devices in quelling dissension, the right cannot seriously cite the democrats' complicity in their atrocities as justification for their crimes. sorry.
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2008
  6. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +195 / 7 / -23

Does not make any different who is complicit, torture is something that the US should not take part in.. to publicly condone it will have ripple effects on the US for a very long time.
  7. otis p. driftwood

otis p. driftwood Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

So when it's all GWB and Dick Cheney they're evil creatures who need to be hunted down, arrested and executed, but when Democrats are complicit, "it doesn't make any difference" or they have to do it because they get called names if they don't?

Okay, I see how it is.
  8. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +195 / 7 / -23

As you feel the Glen Greenwald has credibility, figured I would post this:

http://www.salon.com/opinion/greenwald/2008/04/01/great_american_hypocrites/

9. otis p. driftwood

otis p. driftwood Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Don't try to play with the big dogs Wes. Stay on the porch, if that's all you're going to pull out of there. Because your cute little "wait, what's this?" act is BS.
  10. otis p. driftwood

otis p. driftwood Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Last edited: Apr 12, 2008
  11. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +195 / 7 / -23

But I thought that the favorite ploy of the right was to hijack a post, what is good for the... you gave Greenwald credibility, not me.. that is the way the world works.. do not deify a guy because he is a lefty and posts a rightie favorable blog, and then accuse someone of deflection..
  12. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +195 / 7 / -23

Go read my 10000+ posts have never said any of this, never said they were war criminals.. never used the N word or anything like that, all I contend is that Torture is one of the things that separates us from them, and when we use torture we become just like them.
  13. otis p. driftwood

otis p. driftwood Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Pardon me?

I didn't give anyone "credibility". He's a left leaning person who has harsh words to say about everyone. I don't need to "give" him "credibility", that's for everyone to decide for themselves. I will say, his credentials give him a little more credibility than some of WW83's alternet sources, but it's still not up to me.

And as to the last part of your post...starting with "do not deify" it makes no sense. This author isn't righty. You're not righty, I'm not "righty" despite what you and PC believe.

So why don't we chat about how these Democrats were briefed on this torture stuff and even voted for it. You know before they were against it.

If you believe this torture thing to be wrong, then you need to be MORE pissed off at these Democrats than you are at GWB, because they had the oversight, and they failed.

Myself, I'm not against it, so the only thing that bothers me is their hypocrisy.
    And yours.
  14. otis p. driftwood

otis p. driftwood Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

No, we don't. And what "N word"?
  15. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +195 / 7 / -23

NAZI ten characters..
  16. otis p. driftwood

otis p. driftwood Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Where did I ever say anything about "nazi" in this post? And where did I ever say you ever said anyone was a nazi?

Good try.

Now...how about those Democrats who're complicit in the torture memo?
  17. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +195 / 7 / -23

I do not believe anything about you, do not know anything about you, except you knee jerk to anything right that is posted on this board, this internet thing is not real, you gave him credibility by postinf from his blogand I posted something that was really left leaning..

My Pissed offedness is not directed at anyone, all are culpible and do not believe it should be sanctioned by our gov't. Personally think GWB is a first class idiot, but do not have a lot of time for the energy that is wasted on the emotion of anger.

Talk about classifying a person, I lean left, but would hardly call me a run of the mill democrat.. do not affliliate with any one person and any one party.. I have always been an independent.. there are many things the democrats do that I do not agree with, but nothing they do is more agregious that this president has done..
  18. otis p. driftwood

otis p. driftwood Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

So why do you reflexively try to protect Democrats? LOL.
    Dude--his credentials give him credibility, if you accept them. That's why I posted his history. But beyond that, you decide if he's credible in the same way I decide if stuff is credible.
    Because we think for ourselves after gathering facts.

What I posted were some facts that are overlooked in the rush to criticize GWB.

How many posts have their been about GWB and Cheney being war criminals for this? Hint, check NEM's post count. :D
    That's a joke, just to be clear.
  19. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +195 / 7 / -23

Do not lump everything and everyone together, I usually do not comment on a lot of threads.. I think I am posting on about 5 or 6 on the whole page.. most of what is posted here is extremist views and the used of hysteria and hyperbole is paramount. So I stay away from NEM for the most part as I do a lot of other posters that I think are posting just to piss people off, say the same things over and over or to further their own agenda.

I think congress is complicit, but I think George and his minions are more to blame.. this country is lead by a bunch of overpaid, lobby influenced sheeple.. who will bow to the money rather than to the wishes of the constituency.
  20. otis p. driftwood

otis p. driftwood Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Congress has the job of oversight. The "opposition party" also has some responsibility.

So how can you say GWB is more to blame?