Welcome to PatsFans.com

Democratic candidates trying to reach religious voters

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by PatsWSB47, Jul 23, 2007.

  1. PatsWSB47

    PatsWSB47 Rookie

    Joined:
    Mar 13, 2007
    Messages:
    7,853
    Likes Received:
    84
    Ratings:
    +153 / 0 / -1

    #12 Jersey

    What's next, a Senate candidate announcing she's always been a Yankees fan?



    From Claire Brinberg
    CNN


    NEW YORK (CNN) -- Tired of being seen by religious voters as too secular or even hostile toward religion, the Democrat party and its presidential candidates have launched an all-out effort to win their votes.


    Democratic presidential candidates John Edwards, Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama at a recent Sojourners forum on religion and politics.

    This effort is apparent on the stump, where many of the Democratic candidates speak openly of religion and God and present moral justifications for their policies. It's also going on behind the scenes, with presidential campaigns hiring strategists to coordinate their outreach to religious communities and holding weekly conference calls with religious leaders.

    "It has to be authentic. This is not about Jesus-ing up the party, so to speak ... It just won't work if it's seen as a cynical ploy," said Mara Vanderslice, a Democratic strategist and evangelical Christian.

    In 2004, Vanderslice was hired to coordinate John Kerry's religious outreach. She found herself working without a staff or much of a budget. She says the Kerry campaign failed to engage the faith community before it was too late to make a difference.

    In the past, "there was almost a joke that you couldn't be a Christian and be a Democrat," she said.

    Many voters wouldn't disagree with the joke, according to recent polling. In the 2006 midterm elections, 53 percent of weekly churchgoers voted Republican, as did 60 percent of people who attend church more than once a week, according to exit poll data. What's more, a Pew Forum poll taken just before the election showed only 26 percent of voters considered Democrats friendly to religion.



    http://www.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS/07/22/democrats.religion/index.html
  2. Harry Boy

    Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

    Joined:
    Nov 10, 2005
    Messages:
    39,838
    Likes Received:
    172
    Ratings:
    +549 / 2 / -9

    Imagine a shyster lawyer like Edwards and a lying power hungry old bag Like Hillary even daring to say the word "God".

    Blue Dress & Pant Suit went to church every Sunday for the camera's when Blue Dress was President, I wonder if they go now?
    :bricks:
  3. Real World

    Real World Moderator Staff Member

    Joined:
    Aug 15, 2006
    Messages:
    26,994
    Likes Received:
    189
    Ratings:
    +437 / 5 / -2

    I swear there's a poll for everything. I'd like to see a poll that tells us how many people wear the same underwear twice before washing them. :D
  4. Harry Boy

    Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

    Joined:
    Nov 10, 2005
    Messages:
    39,838
    Likes Received:
    172
    Ratings:
    +549 / 2 / -9

    Poll:
    Underwear Poll:

    Do you wear your underwear more than once before washing.

    Yes___________________________________________________

    No____________________________________________________
    :singing:
  5. Real World

    Real World Moderator Staff Member

    Joined:
    Aug 15, 2006
    Messages:
    26,994
    Likes Received:
    189
    Ratings:
    +437 / 5 / -2

    You know, in reading this a second time, I've come to realize that most people don't even wear underwear anymore. Virtually all of my friends freeball, or go commando if you prefer. I always wear undies, Calvin's at that. Anyhow, I used to love telling women to come over without any und....nevermind! :D
  6. Lifer

    Lifer Banned

    Joined:
    May 10, 2007
    Messages:
    3,293
    Likes Received:
    26
    Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0

    excuse me, am i missing something? This is an example how the media can skew a story.
    If 53% of church going people voted Republican, who did the other 47% vote for? Even if 60% of the "Jesus freaks" who go to church more than once a week voted Republican, who did the other 40% vote for??

    this is the lie of the secular left. That all Christians are right wing neo-cons.

Share This Page

unset ($sidebar_block_show); ?>