Welcome to PatsFans.com

Democracy vs Republic

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by IcyPatriot, Jan 8, 2010.

1. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +476 / 2 / -10

#87 Jersey

This is a concept unfortunately lost upon much of America. We started as a republic ... we were supposed to be a republic and yet here we are ... a mob ruled democracy. A country where 51% ... can control 49%. It is what it is.

Anyone who cares to discuss it ... here's the thread. I'll start is with a few small definitions. Democracies work best for the democrats and republicans both. they both screw us over to retain power ... our government doesn't suck ... but it could be better ... thus the thread.

I like this guys definition ... I'll use it until someone finds one better.

Republic? Democracy? What's the Difference? by Alexander Marriott -- Capitalism Magazine

Last edited: Jan 8, 2010
  2. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +285 / 5 / -8

How you manage to shovel utter manure upon an already false choice is beyond me, Icy.

Think for a minute.

By your definition posted above, a Republic is a form of government bounded by some sort of charter. We have one of those. It's called the Constitution.

A Democracy is a way to choose representatives or policy options based on the vote; in the modern interpretation that means the universal franchise.

Now then, given said "charter", or Constitution, as we Americans call it: If the Grand Poobah by virtue of the deity Shazbat is said to choose 100 Senators, you have a Republic. If 100 Senators are elected by universal suffrage, you also have a Republic. If the Grand Poobah appoints them, you do not have a Democracy. If we vote for them, you do.

See how it's a false choice?? Representative constitution Democracy is a Republic.

So let me get this straight... if WE decide who is in the government, that makes them screw us over, but if, for example, they are chose by virtue of wealth or some other non-democratic criterion, they will not screw us over?

Want to explain how that works?

Agreed. Don't know how this move us forward though.

PFnV
  3. PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +285 / 5 / -8

By the way, the idiot writing your cite claims that all democracies are direct democracies, run by plebescite. That is very rarely the case, if it is the case anywhere. It is not the case in the U.S.

I agree constitutional protections are important given the possibility of mobs calling for torture, and that sort of thing. But I disagree with the underlying premise that democracy is at odds with the republican form of government.

I believe this was the point in the first place, per mssrs. Madison, Jefferson, et al.

PFnV
  4. PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +285 / 5 / -8

No man is above the law, particularly the laws of grammar. PFnV regrets the errors, and regrets even more that the "edit" button was not working.

PFnV