Welcome to PatsFans.com

Democracy at work in Middle East...oops

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by PatsRI, Jan 26, 2006.

1. PatsRI

PatsRI PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060126/ap_on_re_mi_ea/palestinians_election

------Palestinian Prime Minister Ahmed Qureia and his Cabinet ministers submitted their resignations Thursday as the Islamic militant group Hamas appeared to have captured a large majority of seats in the Palestinian elections — a shocking upset sure to throw Mideast peacemaking into turmoil. -------

Does this fall under the "be careful what you wish for" category? I also see a premonition for what could happen in Iraq, or any other Middle Eastern country that has democracy in a few years. Heck we don't always elect the best people in this country and we've been doing it for over 200 years. I have the feeling that the old axiom about democratic states not attacking other democratic states is going to be put to the test time and again in this part of the world. Of course that's if political parties like Hamas don't just come to power and refuse to relinquish it democratically.
  2. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +170 / 4 / -4

Thinking optimistically, this could conceivably work out for the best. In the best case, Hamas will seek legitimacy by moderating its views and will supplant the incredibly corrupt Fatah with a more honest government. In a more likely scenario, it will slow down or even end the peace process and give more power to radical elements in the ME.
  3. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Israel: "We're no talking to you ever again until you (or we) remove your democratically elected government that we don't like!"

Palestine: "Huh?"
  4. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +496 / 2 / -9

The people that just WON in Palestine are the same people that ran out into the streets waving their KORANS and started Singing & Dancing on 9/11.

Israel better get their Nukes ready, the Head-Hunters are coming.
  5. All_Around_Brown

All_Around_Brown Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Goes to show that the neo-conservatives are full of shiznit.
  6. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Not a chance. Hamas is Hamas and their only goal is the complete destruction of Israel. They may soften their public rhetoric, but their stance will never change.
  7. FreeTedWilliams

FreeTedWilliams pfadmins PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +117 / 31 / -3

#75 Jersey

NO what it shows is what I've been saying all along, these people are hell bent on destroying Israel and spreading Isalm by force throught the entire globe. It also shows that all those years that we were negotiating with them was futile, with CLinton made Israel give in, and give in, and all they get in return for thier good faith is an elected government which stated stance is the destruction of Israel.

I say bombs away Israel! You must remember that these are the same people that have a plaza dedicated to the memory of homicide bombers. Eradicate these people from the face of the earth. Before you could always say that is wasn't they peolle just a few bad apples, well now you can say yes it's the people. Everyone has said that it is hard to fight terrorism because there is no country run by terrorists, well now there is (like it wasn't that way under Yasser), bombs away!!!!!!!!
  8. All_Around_Brown

All_Around_Brown Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Bush's Middle East Policy is a complete and utter failure much like his domestic policy. Instead of fostering a positive message after Arafats death, he fumbled and stumbled as he does so well, and now you have the emergence of more radicals with power.

Oh I know, lets send Israel more money and bombs. That'll fix em.
  9. FreeTedWilliams

Ratings:
    +117 / 31 / -3

#75 Jersey

If this election shows Bush's foreign policy failures, what do the elections of Pro-American governments in Germany, France, Canada, and the UK say?
  10. Gumby

Gumby Rookie

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0

#11 Jersey

Hamas just says what Fatah thinks.

So, I dont think you are seeing a change of Palestinian regimes here; but rather just a change in who gets to run the nepotism-corruption machine in Gaza / West Bank.

It will be interesting to see what happens once they take over control and you get another Qassam rocket attack on Isreal.

Fatah was able to get away with it by saying; oh we really cant control these guys. It is just a few wackos mixed in with an innocent population. Well that excuse wont work now. So when Isreal gets hit next time; instead of a surgical response they would be fully legally justified in taking out a grid square. Since at that point it is another state making war on you; not a few uncontrolled thugs. ( Not sure Isreal will be able to get away with this in the UN type's political world.)

But just stop to think what would we do if Mexico was lobbing artillery shells over the Texas border?

I think the best thing we can now hope for is that either Fatah finally gets rid of the deceitful leadership or we see a Hamas party that splits.

I have a hard time believing that 60% of Palestinians really want to go to war with Isreal; and I think in the very very long term this will be a positive step. i.e. A democratic election and a peaceful change of power between 2 parties. Cause once we prove it can happen once it can happen again. (how often has Isreal changed party control in last 10 years).

I agree in the short term it freezes the peace process. But what peace process was it??? Palestinians launched rockets every 5th day and had bombings every other month; yet they were 'lauded' as 'obeying the cease-fire'. Yeah right. Until the palestinians get serious about peace; there is no process.
  11. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Pro-American government in France?
  12. FreeTedWilliams

Ratings:
    +117 / 31 / -3

#75 Jersey

As opposed to the last one, yes