PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

DeMaurice Smith "do you believe Tom Brady?" Smith: "Yes. Yes, I do."

Status
Not open for further replies.
No one posted it yesterday so I'll stick it here. There was an article on this site with an interview with Shane Vereen regarding Deflategate.

He strongly supported Brady and doesn't think he or the Pats did anything wrong. He emphasized how much BB works with them on ball control in practice.

Good on ya Shane!

Last edited:
No one posted it yesterday so I'll stick it here. There was an article on this site with an interview with Shane Vareen regarding Deflategate.

He strongly supported Brady and doesn't think he or the Pats did anything wrong. He emphasized how much BB works with them on ball control in practice.

Good on ya Shane!

I doubt he would agree with the psi fumble issue since he put the ball on the ground 3 or 4 times during that playoff run. Thankfully the Pats recovered every one of them or he was ruled down by contact.

No one posted it yesterday so I'll stick it here. There was an article on this site with an interview with Shane Vareen regarding Deflategate.

Good on ya Shane!

Who is Shane Vareen and what does he do with BB? Is he even more covert than Ernie Adams?o_O

Is DeMaurice Smith among my small handful of "protest likes" on FB? Yes, yes he is.

This whole issue with inflated balls is much ado about nothing, the NFL lost control early on and could not reign in the subsequent controversy..

Ha ha ha ... reminds me of when I watch Dateline and the inevitable:

But not everyone is so sure the estranged husband is lying. In fact, what if the prosecution has it all wrong? What if he were in fact telling the truth after all? That is exactly the belief of <wait for it, here it comes....> defense attorney, so-and-so, who claims his client has been innocent from the beginning.

Nice to see a current player stepped up and defends TB.

Daughter played soccer this morning in 49 degree temps, driving rain, pretty stiff wind.

It was colder out today than at any time I can remember watching even a football game in 30 or 25 degree weather. We were dressed the part too, under armour cold weather gear, coats, ponchos, umbrellas, gloves. This weather will be in the Boston area tomorrow, maybe 5 degrees warmer than it was around Lake Ontario today.

I am telling you that if you simply measure what it is like for a ball at 12.5 SI to be out in the weather for 1 hr. +, you are not accounting for the degree of cold in that ball.

The UNH professor who brought up evaporative cooling is absolutely right.

My wife and I had dinner last night with another couple and the wife went to law school with DeMaurice Smith. She had only had nice things to say about him. She said he was really, really bright and that Brady was lucky to have him on his legal team.

Then she threw in that she was sure he was guilty of something - after all she is a lawyer and a Jets fan. I couldn't expect her to grasp the science and admit that the Patriots were innocent of acting badly. :)

My wife and I had dinner last night with another couple and the wife went to law school with DeMaurice Smith. She had only had nice things to say about him. She said he was really, really bright and that Brady was lucky to have him on his legal team.

Then she threw in that she was sure he was guilty of something - after all she is a lawyer and a Jets fan. I couldn't expect her to grasp the science and admit that the Patriots were innocent of acting badly. :)
A bright, well-educated jackass. They're everywhere...

This whole issue with inflated balls is much ado about nothing, the NFL lost control early on and could not reign in the subsequent controversy..
I disagree, they were given an easy out with the ideal gas law and chose not to take it. They didn't even need to say they didn't know about the IGL, they could have said we were asked to measure the balls, and we did to make sure that there was no tampering beyond the IGl and we found that they were consistent with what should be expected. They then could have thrown the media under the bus. They wanted the Pats and paid 5 million for their head on a pole.

Here's the DeflateHate Pressurization Summary that I wrote for my daughter:

The Wells report concluded that the Patriots balls were deflated.

The facts everyone agrees upon are:
· Patriot balls were measured at approximately 12.5 PSI both by the Patriots gauge and the pre-game gauge used by referee Walt Andersen; Walt Andersen did not adjust the football pressure pre-game (Conclusion: Patriots gauge = pre-game gauge used by referee)
· Colt balls were measured at approximately 13.0 PSI by both the Colts gauge and the pre-game gauge used by referee Walt Andersen; Walt Andersen did not adjust pressure pre-game (Conclusion: Colts gauge = pre-game gauge used by referee)
· There were 2 gauges the referees used: the “logo” gauge and the “non-logo” gauge. The logo gauge produces readings on average .38 PSI higher than the non-logo gauge.
· Walt Anderson remembers taking the pre-game readings with the logo gauge; (the Wells report claims he used the non-logo gauge pre-game)
· According to the Wells report, the Ideal Gas Law predicts that balls measuring 12.5 PSI in a 72 degree room would show a pressurization between 11.32 and 11.52 PSI in the actual game conditions (50 degrees and rainy)
· Balls pressures at halftime of the 11 Patriots footballs were taken using both the logo and non-logo gauges
o The logo gauge showed an average PSI of 11.49
o The non-logo gauge showed an average PSI of 11.11

If the logo gauge was used for pre-game measurements, than there were clearly no deflation of the footballs as 11.49 is on the high end of the expected 11.32 -> 11.52 pressurization range.

If the non-logo gauge was used, the average PSI of 11.11 is below the expected 11.32 bottom threshold and deflation is considerably more likely (but not proven).

So, which gauge was used? Fortunately, there is evidence that clearly points to one gauge over the other beyond Walt Andersen’s memory. The intercepted football was measured 3 different times (while outside) and the average pressure measured was 11.52. Since this was measured with the Colts gauge and the Colts gauge readings matched the readings of the gauge used by Walt Anderson pre-game, then this gives a strong indication of which gauge was used pre-game. That is, if other footballs measured at half-time match the 11.52 reading, then this strongly suggests that that gauge was also used for the pre-game readings. The 11.52 reading matches the 11.49 average readings of the logo gauge, therefore it is highly likely that the logo gauge was used for pre-game measurement.

Therefore, there was no deflation of the footballs.

when i was a child i was sure there was santa claus, the tooth fairy and the easter bunny because i wanted them to be real.

The Wells report concluded that the Patriots balls were deflated.
<flawless logic deleted to save space>
Therefore, there was no deflation of the footballs.

You should have added QED at the end.

...and a commentary that the Wells report's conclusion contradicted it's own documented findings.

I disagree, they were given an easy out with the ideal gas law and chose not to take it. They didn't even need to say they didn't know about the IGL, they could have said we were asked to measure the balls, and we did to make sure that there was no tampering beyond the IGl and we found that they were consistent with what should be expected. They then could have thrown the media under the bus. They wanted the Pats and paid 5 million for their head on a pole.

They chose not to take the way out because they knew they could doctor the investigation and go after the Pats.. if they anticipated the media brouhaha pretty confident they would not have released the initial information, that is where they lost control..

If they just relied on the IGL the questions would have remained, and for many the Patriots would have been guilty anyway, as ESPN et al would have fed anecdotal evidence to the masses..

The Wells report verified the outcome that the NFL wanted after it became a media feeding frenzy..

The easy answer would have been a "quiet" fine of 25K or something and everyone moves on, however they chose not to do that... this whole incident is not a very big deal, and there is no statistical difference for Brady on the road(balls controlled by the home team) and Brady at home(balls controlled by the Pats)... inow ball pressure means nothing. The NFL made it a big deal..

This whole incident is comparable to San Diego using stickum on towels or Minnesota warming footballs, nothing more than either of those two incidents..

Last edited:
They chose not to take the way out because they knew they could doctor the investigation and go after the Pats.. if they anticipated the media brouhaha pretty confident they would not have released the initial information, that is where they lost control..

If they just relied on the IGL the questions would have remained, and for many the Patriots would have been guilty anyway, as ESPN et al would have fed anecdotal evidence to the masses..

The Wells report verified the outcome that the NFL wanted after it became a media feeding frenzy..

The easy answer would have been a "quiet" fine of 25K or something and everyone moves on, however they chose not to do that... this whole incident is not a very big deal, and there is no statistical difference for Brady on the road(balls controlled by the home team) and Brady at home(balls controlled by the Pats)... inow ball pressure means nothing. The NFL made it a big deal..

This whole incident is comparable to San Diego using stickum on towels or Minnesota warming footballs, nothing more than either of those two incidents..
This (I assume) will be a central aspect of Brady's argument.

Not only was the NFL ridiculously inconsistent in its distribution of punishment, it did so without any hard evidence.

With the MN and SD cases, there was concrete evidence.

Not the case here.

This (I assume) will be a central aspect of Brady's argument.

Not only was the NFL ridiculously inconsistent in its distribution of punishment, it did so without any hard evidence.

With the MN and SD cases, there was concrete evidence.

Not the case here.

In his May 20th press conference, Goodell said "I have great admiration and respect for Tom Brady, but the rules have to be enforced on a uniform basis and they apply to everybody in the league. They apply to every club, every individual coach, every individual player and that is something where we put the game ahead of everybody."

How is letting the Vikings and Panthers off with warning enforcing the rules "on a uniform basis?" Along those lines, how do the 49ers and Lions get one punishment for tampering, but the Jets get a lesser punishment for the same infraction?

It's amazing that people can listen to what Goodell says, see that the opposite is true, and continue on like nothing unusual is happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes