PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

DeMarcus Ware or Andre Johnson?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think most would agree at all.

This isn't the NBA or fantasy football.

What the Pats need to do is field a winning team, and for that they need players who fit their system and are coachable to play the way the Pats FO wants them to play.

There are a lot of teams with a lot of playmakers who generate terrific ESPN highlights but go nowhere. The troukble with getting a playmaker and expecting them to make plays is that they will make plays at the expense of a game.

Like that McCree idiot who intercepted a ball on fourth down and tried to advance it. Cost the Chargers the game.

DO YOUR JOB. That's the Pats motto. Not make big plays.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the Patriots are screwed if they don't land 6 career pro bowlers in this draft. I'm not trying to define talent as 20 sacks or 15 TD catches. I don't want the Pats to turn into the Redskins.

Rather than saying we need playmakers, perhaps I should have said difference makers.

Moss didn't score 23 TDs in 2007 just because he "fit our system" and "did his job." He also did it because he's an amazing WR and had an amazing QB throwing to him. Darrell Revis all but shut down Moss this past season because he's a great CB to go along with doing his job in a good system.

Moss makes the other 10 players on the field better. The same can be said for Darrell Revis.

While I'm not saying the draft is as total bust if we don't land the next star of the NFL, with 4 picks in the top 53 in a very deep draft, I hope the Pats can find someone that can step in and at least make some kind of impact.

Ware, of course. Maybe I'm crazy, but I think that Belichick and Patricia could find some interesting and effective ways to use an all-world LB.

Just look at the Jets for example. What great pass rushers do they have? Pace is a nice player, but he's certainly nothing to write home about. Bryan Thomas? Vernon "The Ghost" Gholston? These guys aren't even close to premiere pass rusher, yet the Jets still had one of the best and most disruptive pass rushing attack last year. Rex Ryan's aggressive defense makes these guys look better than they are.
The problem with their D is, while it works against average/decent teams, it gets torched by elite QBs like Manning and Brady.

Ware, of course. Maybe I'm crazy, but I think that Belichick and Patricia could find some interesting and effective ways to use an all-world LB.

Ware is the complete package.

He can rush, play the run and is pretty damn good in coverage.

Bill would love to have him.

The problem with their D is, while it works against average/decent teams, it gets torched by elite QBs like Manning and Brady.

That was more of a talent issue, IMO. If they had al elite pass-rusher, they'd be able to remain effective against top-tier QBs, I think. Which I guess brings us back to the original point of this thread.

I know a lot of people like to say that, but that's not necessarily true. I know the Jets got torched pretty bad in the AFC Championship, but against the Colts in the regular season (before Manning and the starters were taken out) their D was working pretty well. Their D worked very well against Brees, and if Sanchez doesn't turn the ball over, they are right in that game. It also gave Brady & Co. quite a bit of trouble. Just look at this year and in 2007. Jets D gave us trouble this year, and in 07 the Ravens D gave us our toughest test of the regular season. Now with a legitimate CB across from Revis in Cromartie and Jenkins coming back, that D and their exotic blitz packages will just get even better.

Our D didn't even work against average teams. Guys like Henne and Orton chopped us up, and elite guys like Brees passed for a percet QB rating against us.

Last edited:
We need Ware more than we need Johnson.

I bet if BB were to be asked what 1 player in the league he would want on this team he would say Ware.

Ware is a beast! He dominates. period. Yes, Johnson is good, but Ware is the most dominant D player in the game.

That being said, with the 1st four picks, might we see both Jerry Hughes and Golden Tate among the 4? Hughes is not Ware, and Tate is not Johnson, but both are playmaking football players within reach of the first 2 picks.

I'd rather have Ware. Andre Johnson might be the best receiver in football, but finding an elite OLB like Ware is a lot rarer than an elite WR. I'd love to see Andre Johnson in a Pats uniform though.

I'd pee myself if they added andre johnson tomorrow.

I like defense, but I think a lot of people here aren't taking into account the different defensive schemes dallas and the pats run.
don't just assume ware would look as dominant on the pats.

ware's impact on that baltimore loss would have been pretty minimal, but aj would have helped.

with andre johnson, randy moss, and a welker/edelman on the field.......?
I'm peeing myself just thinking about it.

Ware is the complete package.

He can rush, play the run and is pretty damn good in coverage.

Bill would love to have him.

As good as Ware is, he can disappear at times. Funny that people are mentioning McGinest a lot because he is the exact player we need right now on D. Forget Ware and Peppers. I'd rather have a more stout, true 3-4 OLB who you can count on to make big plays when you need them the most. That guy has to be out there this year, and I think it's Sergio Kindle.

Last edited:
I like defense, but I think a lot of people here aren't taking into account the different defensive schemes dallas and the pats run.
don't just assume ware would look as dominant on the pats.
There's more to football than just stats. Just because he wouldn't get as many sacks in NE doesn't mean he wouldn't have the same huge impact. How many sacks did Mac and Vrabel get during the Superbowl years? Not many.

There's more to football than just stats. Just because he wouldn't get as many sacks in NE doesn't mean he wouldn't have the same huge impact. How many sacks did Mac and Vrabel get during the Superbowl years? Not many.

PRESSURE never shows up in box scores...pressure to close the pocket for the QB is what Vrabel and McGinest did best that made them such a dynamic duo

If we were strictly picking from these two particular players, then I'd pick Johnson. I think he makes a bigger impact in today's game than Ware does.

Because of the way the rules have been skewed for passing offenses, there's only a handful of players I would take over Johnson or Fitzgerald to pair with Brady. If you think about it, if we get a top WR, it's more likely that him and Brady will have a bigger impact than almost any defensive player we bring in. The only defensive players that I think could come in and have a bigger impact would be Revis, Asomoghua, Ngata, or Polamalu.

I really want to add an impact player on defense. So out of those two, i'd take Ware......but really i want Adam Sewerd :D

Brady has shown that he can do things with guys like Gaffney and Caldwell a few years ago. I am, personally, tired of watching quarterbacks have enough time to make a sandwich and knit a sweater in the pocket while being able to pick apart this defense. What Chad Henne was able to do to us last year, with the receiving corps he had to work with, was nothing short of pathetic. Give me the next Ware anyday, though getting both in the same draft would be fantastic.

Brady has shown that he can do things with guys like Gaffney and Caldwell a few years ago. I am, personally, tired of watching quarterbacks have enough time to make a sandwich and knit a sweater in the pocket while being able to pick apart this defense. What Chad Henne was able to do to us last year, with the receiving corps he had to work with, was nothing short of pathetic. Give me the next Ware anyday, though getting both in the same draft would be fantastic.

Thats my thinking as well. Brady is good enough. The running game is good enough. The team could use a couple more catching threats, but the WRs we have (assuming a functional Welker in week 10 but that is an obvious uncertainty) are good enough.

With another DT, McKenzie as a stout run-stopper, and couple of decent OLBs to rotate in with TBC to apply pressure on the other side of Ware, this is immediately a SB defense.

Last edited:
Exactly, I will never understand how people can watch the likes of Chad Henne and Kyle Orton effortlessly torch our defense and not think our pass rush is in dire need of an upgrade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back