PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

DeMarco Murray

glm

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Thoughts on him?

Reminds me a lot of Felix Jones, with a touch of Chris Johnson thrown in. Very very quick, gets in and out of cuts as quick as anyone in College, makes defenders miss, terrific change of direction. He's not consistent enough between the tackles though, and always looks to bounce it outside a la Reggie Bush.

Might not be quite what we're looking for in all honesty. I was all for Jahvid Best a few months ago, but with Maroney performing well, we might need a bit more of a bruiser to compliment him.

Reminds me a lot of Felix Jones, with a touch of Chris Johnson thrown in. Very very quick, gets in and out of cuts as quick as anyone in College, makes defenders miss, terrific change of direction. He's not consistent enough between the tackles though, and always looks to bounce it outside a la Reggie Bush.

Might not be quite what we're looking for in all honesty. I was all for Jahvid Best a few months ago, but with Maroney performing well, we might need a bit more of a bruiser to compliment him.

The thing is watching maroney this year, hes running like the bruising inside the tackles back we need right now. Notice when we get inside the 5 we dont playaction to a TE, we are running Maroney inside and hes been money (minus the fumble in Indy). Whereas when Maroney was with Dillon, we used Maroney alot on screens and outside runs. I still think we have too many needs right now to worry about RB, although RB in round 2 isnt out of the question if the right guy is there.

The thing is watching maroney this year, hes running like the bruising inside the tackles back we need right now. Notice when we get inside the 5 we dont playaction to a TE, we are running Maroney inside and hes been money (minus the fumble in Indy). Whereas when Maroney was with Dillon, we used Maroney alot on screens and outside runs. I still think we have too many needs right now to worry about RB, although RB in round 2 isnt out of the question if the right guy is there.

I agree with this. I've been favoring a power back to complement Maroney all year, but the way Maroney is running we don't really need that player as much as we need a better power blocking OL. Vollmer and Mankins are solid (anyone notice that our running game has improved noticeably with Morris and Taylor out but with Vollmer taking over LT for Light), but the rest of the line could use an upgrade in that department.

I like Ryan Matthews a lot, but right now I'm not sure what he would provide that Maroney's not currently doing.

Mayo, you hit the nail right on the head. The O-line needs are much more important. Today, I watched South Carolina beat Clemson. Clemson has a very good running back in C.J. Spiller. Granted Spiller had one ill-timed fumble, he didn't get a chance to do much today. Why? It's because South Carolina beat Clemson in the trenches. They got penetration into the Clemson offensive back field and battered Spiller all day.

That's why we shouldn't make running back a top priority in this draft. Yes depth is important. But unless Barry Sanders steps onto the field, a running back will get stopped for a loss if his offensive line cannot block for him.

On a lighter note, our O-line has improved since Volmer replaced Light. It's controversial, but I think we should leave Volmer at LT and move Light to RT for the rest of this year. This way we can use Volmer's superior athleticism against speed rushers, while retaining Light's talent and experience to upgrade Kaczur. With that front, I say we beat the Colts the next time we see them, Light would own Matthis and Volmer would be able to contain Freeney with help.

Yes, Interior OL depth is needed in next years draft. I really like that Pouncey kid from Florida, just watching him today against FSU he is dominating the point of attack on both QB and RB draw plays. Also has a mean streak to him as he has gotten in the face of the FSU players all game.

On a maroney note, maybe the crappy run blocking from the OL was the reason why BB defended maroney cause there was no where for him to run the ball.

On a lighter note, our O-line has improved since Volmer replaced Light. It's controversial, but I think we should leave Volmer at LT and move Light to RT for the rest of this year. This way we can use Volmer's superior athleticism against speed rushers, while retaining Light's talent and experience to upgrade Kaczur. With that front, I say we beat the Colts the next time we see them, Light would own Matthis and Volmer would be able to contain Freeney with help.

That's what I've suggested. Makes sense to me to get your 2 best tackles on the field.

Vollmer to me has been a revelation at LT. He has both the footwork and the strength/size to dominate pass rushers in a way that Matt Light never could. Also, I don't think it's a coincidence that our running game picked up after Vollmer replaced Light. Vollmer and Mankins are a load together and can open up some holes.

I think Nick Kaczur is the James Sanders of our offense - an adequate starter who is more suited to be a great rotational guy. Matt Light would be a big upgrade this season, and would be much better suited to handling guys like Robert Mathis, Trevor Pryce or Charles Grant.

For 2010 and beyond, I'd really like to upgrade the right side of the line to have the same kind of pop as we have with Vollmer and Mankins. I'd love to see Iupati or Pouncey at guard (or center, for Pouncey) and Joseph Blackwell or Gabe Carimi at RT. I think that some combination of those guys would do wonders for our offense.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back