Welcome to PatsFans.com

Dem Congressman after trip to Iraq: "I think we're making real progress"

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Real World, Aug 20, 2007.

1. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +313 / 4 / -2

This is only one man's perspective, but it is important in the sense that he voted against the war. He's been to the region 5 times, so he's seen first hand what the deals been over the last few years. Also, his position is similar to mine in that he'd prefer we weren't there, yet we are, and therefore has to look at it with reality in mind. At the very least this guy is showing he's objective. How many politicians in this country who vote for/against something, are later willing to look at the issue in a non-political way? Very, very few.

Baird sees need for longer U.S. role in Iraq

Published August 17, 2007

Brad Shannon
    The Olympian

U.S. Rep. Brian Baird said Thursday that his recent trip to Iraq convinced him the military needs more time in the region, and that a hasty pullout would cause chaos that helps Iran and harms U.S. security.

"I believe that the decision to invade Iraq and the post-invasion management of that country were among the largest foreign-policy mistakes in the history of our nation. I voted against them, and I still think they were the right votes," Baird said in a telephone interview from Washington, D.C.

"But we're on the ground now. We have a responsibility to the Iraqi people and a strategic interest in making this work."

Baird, a five-term Democrat, voted against President Bush ordering the Iraq invasion — at a time when he was in a minority in Congress and at risk of alienating voters. He returned late Tuesday from a trip that included stops in Israel, Jordan and Iraq, where he met troops, U.S. advisers and Iraqis, whose stories have convinced him that U.S. troops must stay longer.

With Congress poised next month to look at U.S. progress in Iraq and a vote looming on U.S. funding for the war, Baird said he's inclined to seek a continued U.S. presence in Iraq beyond what many impatient Americans want. He also expects Gen. David Petraeus, who oversees U.S. troops in Iraq, to seek a redeployment of forces. "People may be upset. I wish I didn't have to say this," Baird said. He added that the United States needs to continue with its military troops surge "at least into early next year, then engage in a gradual redeployment. … I know it's going to cost hundreds of American lives and hundreds of billions of dollars."

He also said the United States tore up Iraq with its invasion in 2003, dismantling civil government and industries and tossing a half-million people out of work, but that three years of U.S. help is not enough to let Iraq rebuild.

Baird said he would not say this if he didn't believe two things:

• "One, I think we're making real progress."

• "Secondly, I think the consequences of pulling back precipitously would be potentially catastrophic for the Iraqi people themselves, to whom we have a tremendous responsibility … and in the long run chaotic for the region as a whole and for our own security."

http://www.theolympian.com/news/story/192500.html
  2. Patriot_in_NY

Patriot_in_NY Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

phsssssh, The Olympian?????. You beleive the crap you read in that rag from the blatantly conservative-biased Washington state? You know you can't beleive jack you read in NEWSpaper.

Please allow me to direct you to a REAL news source I recently discovered. Here's what my new friends say over at THINKPROGRESS

It's a G*d damn disaster. The surge is “totally and utterly” failing. We need to get out like YESTURDAMDAY. Stop drinking the kool-aid and admit it, we suck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

;)
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2007
  3. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

I love it!
    Now we have to stay because the "SURGE" is working!

What's next? We have to stay there forever because Israel needs us there to protect them?

We don't have to be there. We have to protect our country - we're not.
  4. Patriot_in_NY

Patriot_in_NY Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

Protecting our country? you think being in Iraq has anything to do with "protecting our country". Hell, we could leave tomorrow and it wouldn't change of thing about the greatest single thread to our home security there is........ OUR WIDE OPEN BORDERS.

Don't worry wista. We're not staying. We will be surrendering within 6-7 months......
  5. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +313 / 4 / -2

We'll probably draw down in 6-7 months, although it might be a tad longer than that. Surely there will be a draw down of sorts in 2008. At least that's the conclusion that I've come to.
  6. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +353 / 1 / -9

The Democrats Will Excommunicate This Guy, They'll take his office away from him and put his desk in the cellar:singing:
  7. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

That's what I'm talking about. Remember right after 9/11? I thought for sure that the borders were going to be shut for at least 6 months. I had friends who had planned a trip to the US and I called them to tell them not to be making any plans to come any time soon. I also thought Bin Ladin and AQ would have been dead within 2 months. Not the first time I've been wrong. but JEEEZ!

Watch out with that surrender talk. The REagan republicans will be down your shirt for that!
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2007