PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Deja Vu: 1985 Pats = 2005 Pats?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikey

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
I am not sure if anyone mentioned this.

But is the 2005 team following the foosteps of the 1985 team??

Both teams will end up with 11-5 records.

Both teams entered/will enter the playoff as the wild card.

The 1985 team won 3 road playoff games to reach the Super Bowl.

If the 2005 team is to win the SB, they must follow exactly the path of the 1985 team and win 3 road playoff games.

Of course, once the 2005 team reaches the SB, we hope the outcome will be different.

The link between the 2 teams separated by exactly 20 years is more remarkable because I understand that the 2005 team will be honoring the 1985 team in a few days.

Last edited:
The 2005 Patriots enter as a division champ, not a wild card. They play in the wild card round - there's a difference.

mikey said:

If the 2005 team is to win the SB, they must follow exactly the path of the 1985 team and win 3 road playoff games.

Of course, once the 2005 team reaches the SB, we hope the outcome will be different.

The link between the 2 teams separated by exactly 20 years is more remarkable because I understand that the 2005 team will be honoring the 1985 team in a few days.

The difference is, besides 20 years and a lot of water under the bridge, is that should we go to Detroit we'll only have to win 2 road games. That, and there's no NFC team capable of dishing out that kind of beating in the Super Bowl.

mikey said:

The wildcard? Where have you been? There are two wildcards per conference now, and the Pats won't be either of them. They enter as division champs and will host (i.e. home game) a "wildcard game" but they are not themselves a wildcard team. I would agree with this similarity: winning at the Raiders and at the Dolphins in '85 might be the equivalent of winning at the Colts and at Cincy/Denver, albeit the order of difficulty will be reveresed.

The BIG difference is that in 85 there was no home game...which is why it is HARD for a wildcard team to make it. This team will get a real lift in 3 weeks!! That being daid, the next two games will be when they meet the iron. ANd it is correct..there is no team in the NFC that compares with the Bears of 85..would it NOT be ironic that the SB be Chic and NE???

would it NOT be ironic that the SB be Chic and NE???
My bad :D.

The 1985 team had to do it with 3 road wins, while the 2005 team will need "just" 2 road wins.

On the 20th anniversary of that remarkable accomplishment, the 85 team will serve as role model and motivation for the 2005 version.

Yes, it would not only be ironic, but it would be sweet poetic justice if we meet and beat the crap out of the Bears. :D

Last edited:
The BIG difference is that in 85 there was no home game...which is why it is HARD for a wildcard team to make it. This team will get a real lift in 3 weeks!! That being daid, the next two games will be when they meet the iron. ANd it is correct..there is no team in the NFC that compares with the Bears of 85..would it NOT be ironic that the SB be Chic and NE???

I do not want this to happen if only because we will be tortured by the media with 10,000 replays of "The SuperBowl Shuffle".

A Green Bay matchup would be sweet also, but it doesn't look like it is possible in my lifetime.

R

Last edited:
We don't NEED 2 road games either. We could go home-road-home-Super Bowl.

Hm, as long as this team doesn't mirror the '85 team's a. Superbowl score and b. cocaine scandal.

Yeah well the biggest difference is that Tom Brady is no Tony Eason......

Bill's Girl said:
Yeah well the biggest difference is that Tom Brady is no Tony Eason......

Tony Eason was my first ever crush. Oh, the memories...:eek:

Bella*chick said:

Me too Bella!!! Thank goodness Roger Clemens came along the next year to rescue me from Tony's clutches..heehee

Bill's Girl said:
Me too Bella!!! Thank goodness Roger Clemens came along the next year to rescue me from Tony's clutches..heehee

LOL, you wanna hear something pathetic? I remember the first time I saw Tony Eason without his helmet...the Bob Hope Superbowl special. Tony and Jim McMahon were guests, I believe. When Bob asked Tony to say a few words, he said "The Bears are a good team, and they've done alot of great things, but this year, we'll be wearing all the rings."

I was enthralled.

I cannot BELIEVE the things I still remember.

the thingh that i really like would be to play the Bears in the Super Bowl after 20 years and beat them as much as possible

i loved 1985 Pats season but the Super Bowl was probably a 'mission impossible' against that Chicago team...

we were 3-0 and i started to dream thks to Tony Franklyn fg but then...

Bella*chick said:
LOL, you wanna hear something pathetic? I remember the first time I saw Tony Eason without his helmet...the Bob Hope Superbowl special. Tony and Jim McMahon were guests, I believe. When Bob asked Tony to say a few words, he said "The Bears are a good team, and they've done alot of great things, but this year, we'll be wearing all the rings."

I was enthralled.

I cannot BELIEVE the things I still remember.

Yikes, I remember the Bob Hope Special too...... Eason looked so dorky compared to Jim McMahon! What did we ever do before Tom Brady?

Bella*chick said:

He was Mike Singletary's big "crush' in the SB. In fact he got crushed so much that Grogan came in - and he got crushed too by Richard Dent.
Oh, the nightmare.

Last edited:
mikey said:

no.

mikey said:

No. 2005 teams enters as AFC East Division Champion.

mikey said:

Ummm... no. Our first Playoff game is at home.

mikey said:
My bad :D.

On the 20th anniversary of that remarkable accomplishment, the 85 team will serve as role model and motivation for the 2005 version.

Oh crap. Anyone seen Borges lately? Has he gotta 'nother juicy exclusive ready to go to destroy the Pats? Has Brady gone to Eason Training Camp to learn how to flop to the ground and curl up in a ball if a defender gets within two yards of him? That would suck. Big time.

Bill's Girl said:
Yikes, I remember the Bob Hope Special too...... Eason looked so dorky compared to Jim McMahon! What did we ever do before Tom Brady?

I'll tell you what I did.....wrote all about him in my diary, dotting all my i's with little hearts, came to my senses, ripped out the diary pages, shredded them up and flushed them down the toilet, to destroy the evidence. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes