PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Deion Branch

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Deion Branch has been on the field for about half the offensive reps over the last two weeks. That's a lot. The result: 2 catches, 15 yards. I'm not sure that he will even be active once Edelman is back.

I guess that he is good emergency depth.

Last edited:
I would have brought TO or RM in just prior to the season instead of keeping Branch.

Branch is a great person, from what I can see, and he fits in well with the Pats, but IMO, he has really gone downhill in recent weeks.

Last edited:
Just wait for it. He'll have a big game with a few clutch 3rd down catches and everybody will be back on the brady-branch chemistry wagon.

If think Branch should be replaced by Edelman in 3wr sets when Julian is back. Branch is old and he plays like he is older than he actually is.

drop off is showing now...now he is just a depth guy in case of injury

I would have brought TO or RM in just prior to the season instead of keeping Branch.

Branch is a great person, from what I can see, and he fits in well with the Pats, but IMO, he has really gone downhill in recent weeks.

TO? Really? And Moss was signed by the 49ers early on in the off-season!

too bad gaffney not available anymore

Just wait for it. He'll have a big game with a few clutch 3rd down catches and everybody will be back on the brady-branch chemistry wagon.

Branch is done.
Now this is the 3rd and final time I've proclaimed this here. :p
I agree that at some time this season The Twig will make a significant contribution.
I sincerely believe that The Twig and not The Hut is on this team because he's a Brady Binkie and BB really let HOF TFB influence his last roster WR pick 'em decision.
Once Edes recovers from his jock itch or whatever ails him, he should take many of Branch's reps.

Last edited:
Since the end of last season, Branch really slowed down. The more I watch Edelman, the more potential I see in this guy. He really took over as the #3 WR over Branch. I wish the team still had Gaffney, he looks like he has more in the tank than Deion.

Since the end of last season, Branch really slowed down. The more I watch Edelman, the more potential I see in this guy. He really took over as the #3 WR over Branch. I wish the team still had Gaffney, he looks like he has more in the tank than Deion.

I'm curious. So just how does The Hut look?
I for one haven't seen him at summer camp or since. What do you base this looks assessment on?

Not only did Branch have no catches against Buffalo, I'm pretty sure he got zero targets as well.

I'm guessing he'll be matched up against Tracy Porter this weekend and be shutout again.

Brady throws to the open man.

With Welker, Lloyd and Gronkowski on the field (commanding some double teams), one would expect that Branch would be able to get open more often. To put it another way, Branch does not command a double team, and cannot get open one on one.

Branch is on the 53 because Belichick preferred him to Gaffney and others who were out there. Branch is active because Belichick believe that he is a better choice than Salas.

The open question is whether we would lose anything with Salas active instead of Branch.

Last edited:
he had 6 rec for 74 yards over the last 5 games of the 2011 season, #1 he's not geting open and #2 he's realy not one of brady's go to guys anymore

Branch will be one of those aged players that shows almost nothing on the stats sheet.

BUT there will be time in a game where the team needs to move the chains to win and somehow Branch will be open to make the catch and be a factor in a win...its coming....

Branch is an excellent 4th or 5th option - I am not sure what you expect from him. He and Brady are on the same wavelength and Branch knows where to go when the play breaks down and Brady has to improvise.

Branch is not targeted unless other options are already gone. The Patriots are certainly not scheming a significant number of plays with Branch as the 1st option and everybody understands that.

Besides, who do you want? Somebody said Gaffney - fine. He'd produce the same results in the 4th/5th option role.

Against Buffalo, Brady had Gronkowski wide open all day long in the seams, Welker underneath and he threw to LLoyd several times in an attempt to establish the outside up-field game, with limited success but no picks.

Branch is strictly a safety valve, and a good one at that. He's going to come up big in one of these games when some team figures out how to take the top three or four options away.

Last edited:
Not only did Branch have no catches against Buffalo, I'm pretty sure he got zero targets as well.

I'm guessing he'll be matched up against Tracy Porter this weekend and be shutout again.

If putting Branch on the field means that Porter isn't covering or helping cover someone else I'll happily take that.

Branch isn't going to have any 100 yard games, probably no 50 yard games. What he will have, in my opinion, is one catch that extends a drive and maintains momentum.

I don't know about you guys, but I feel a comfort with Branch out there (as opposed to a Salas type player) since he brings that familiarity and chemistry.

What we are currently measuring Branch on right now is his lack of production. In this case I think it's due to lack of opportunities. He did not get a target on Sunday. Maybe it's becasue he's getting older, but I like to think it's because Brady just has better options on those plays. When he doesn't, I would prefer to have Branch be counted on as opposed to Salas. It's not like we are talking about Branch because he keeps dropping passes.

Having Deion Branch on this team is the equivalent to the Packers having Donald Driver. You don't count on them for much production, but you know can count on them when they are called upon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back