PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Deion Branch speaking about Asante on Sirius

Does anyone have a link of the Branch convo?

Do you realize that your average luxury yacht will cost more than Branch made in his entire rookie deal, and that doesn't even take into consideration insurance, mooring costs, fuel + maintenance?

Do you think even his new deal, with $13 million in guaranteed money, makes him yacht-level rich?

Hardly. For someone from a modest background like Branch, the money he makes in the NFL won't make him "jet set" -- we're talking nice-house-in-Newton-or-Brookline, no-worries-about-paying-the-kids'-tuition type well off.

Let me get this straight.... You think 13 million in gauranteed money is "Newton-or-Brookline, no-worries-about-paying-the-kids'-tuition type well off", lol!!! What you are describing is more like someone who makles 350 - 400 k per year. I doubt the original poster was speaking of 20 million dollar mega yaghts the super rich buy. 13 million over 5 years is a hell of a lot more then a " no worries comfortable living life"... I am sure branch may meet a few of his options making him a lot more then 13 mill.

Last edited:
Easiest way for Asante to make mega bucks is simple:

Sign one year tender with New England Patriots
+ Win Championship with New England Patriots
+ Enter Free Agency after being named Super Bowl MVP
= Multi Million Dollar Contract

Seems simple enough to me

He left a situation where he was the #1 WR for a HOF QB and a team that is competing for SB's every season. Now he's not the top dog and he's playing in the also-ran NFC West. I would be depressed if I were him.

I hate the way agents have destroyed the game, made it into a money-grubbing me-first fest.

If Branch had stayed he would have been paid very well, immortalized forever, and kept a very happy family together. As it turns out,...

How are those other guys (other than AV) who left for "greener pastures" doing? Wishing they were back in contention.

//

If he comes back in the 10th game, you cut him.

Yeah, he's a FA and can sign anywhere, but he'll never see that $8 million ever again.

Let's do the math here. Say Samuel signs a Clements-like contract for $8 million per.

Now, over the next 5 years, Clements bags $40 million. Meanwhile, Samuel bags only $32 million over the next five years. That's less than $7 million a year.

And that's exactly why Samuel will not hold out this year.

This must be the new math. Plus if you cut Asante after he reports, which he wouldn't do without signing his tag, he is not only a FA he's a FA with $5M of our money in his bank account because his tag was guaranteed so he would be entitled to the balance of the contract on termination. He could then sign with a new team who agrees to give him a $5M signing bonus for 2007 and an option bonus of $15M in 2008 on a 7 year deal through 2013 and voila - he's made Clements money in bonus/guaranteed money.

This must be the new math. Plus if you cut Asante after he reports, which he wouldn't do without signing his tag, he is not only a FA he's a FA with $5M of our money in his bank account because his tag was guaranteed so he would be entitled to the balance of the contract on termination. He could then sign with a new team who agrees to give him a $5M signing bonus for 2007 and an option bonus of $15M in 2008 on a 7 year deal through 2013 and voila - he's made Clements money in bonus/guaranteed money.

Here is Asante's worst nightmare..The Pats draft a Safety and CB. The Safety steps in and takes the place of Wilson. Wilson and the new CB split time at LCB. Asante holds out until week 10. The Pats keep winning. Asante comes back but cannot get on to the field as the new CB and Wilson do a great job.

Asante sulks as a dime CB. At the end of the season the Pats win the SB with Asante riding the bench (not starting). The season ends with the Pats winning the SB and Wilson being named MVP. Asante goes into the offseason and is tagged again by the Pats. They then trade him the Cardinals where he languishes...

Just my two cents.....

Here is Asante's worst nightmare..The Pats draft a Safety and CB. The Safety steps in and takes the place of Wilson. Wilson and the new CB split time at LCB. Asante holds out until week 10. The Pats keep winning. Asante comes back but cannot get on to the field as the new CB and Wilson do a great job.

Asante sulks as a dime CB. At the end of the season the Pats win the SB with Asante riding the bench (not starting). The season ends with the Pats winning the SB and Wilson being named MVP. Asante goes into the offseason and is tagged again by the Pats. They then trade him the Cardinals where he languishes...

Just my two cents.....

I think Asante's worst nightmare is that he plays the season under the tag and blows out his knee.

Just my two cents.....

Glad it was you who said it was just your two cents...

First off, if Asante were to hold out and not get back on the field as a starter as a result, we would be paying him $5M to ride the pine. And if we were stupid enough to re-tag him in 2008, he would sign that sucker faster than lightning because he would be guaranteed $10M. And even the Cardinals wouldn't be willing to trade much for him under that circumstance.

He left a situation where he was the #1 WR for a HOF QB and a team that is competing for SB's every season. Now he's not the top dog and he's playing in the also-ran NFC West. I would be depressed if I were him.

Boston > than Seattle but not by a lot. Lot's of money falling out of his pockets. Playing a game for a living. I wouldn't be depressed. I'd be ecstatic.

First of all the the whole situation worked out very well for Deion. He got the deal he wanted. He is playing in a good city, with a good team, who because of the over all weakness of the NFC, probably has a BETTER chance of getting to the superbowl this year.

That is why I found his statement that if he were Samuel he wouldn't leave $7.8MM on the table in a hold out, so encouraging. Deion is the poster child for selfish mercenaries, and if HE wouldn't be holding out, neither will Assante. And that is all I need to know. That at least THIS season, the Pats will go into the year with a solid tandem of CBs Now at worst we draft for the future and the present with our first picks.

That is why this comment is important.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back