PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Deion Branch speaking about Asante on Sirius

Cramden

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
Stated that if he were Asante he'd sign the tender. He said his situation last year wasn't comparable in that he was leaving only $1mil plus on the table if he held out and Asante would be leaving $7.7 mil. No WAY would he leave that money on the table and he figures neither will Asante.

Good interview. He's happy in Seattle but he still regrets things turned out the way they did with the Pats and he puts the blame on both sides.

He left a situation where he was the #1 WR for a HOF QB and a team that is competing for SB's every season. Now he's not the top dog and he's playing in the also-ran NFC West. I would be depressed if I were him.

He left a situation where he was the #1 WR for a HOF QB and a team that is competing for SB's every season. Now he's not the top dog and he's playing in the also-ran NFC West. I would be depressed if I were him.

At some point though, you have to let the organization know you're not going to be taken advantage of. That was lose-lose for both Pats and Branch.

At some point though, you have to let the organization know you're not going to be taken advantage of. That was lose-lose for both Pats and Branch.

I would enjoy being taken advantage of by the Patriots. Ohh well I guess everyone's different. Maybe that extra Ferrari and yacht is really worth it. :rolleyes:

Without digging up the whole Branch debate I found it interesting perspective coming from one holdout speaking of another potential holdout. More evidence that Asante has no intention of leaving all of that money on the table and what he's doing is just some old fashioned Saber rattling.

LOSE - LOSE

Player not happy.....

Old teammates not happy...

Old team front office not happy...

New team probably wishes they had their #1 back right about now...

Asante - take note.

Without digging up the whole Branch debate I found it interesting perspective coming from one holdout speaking of another potential holdout. More evidence that Asante has no intention of leaving all of that money on the table and what he's doing is just some old fashioned Saber rattling.

It's easy for Branch to talk now.

There's more demand for good CB's than WR's so the situation is a bit different.

It's easy for Branch to talk now.

There's more demand for good CB's than WR's so the situation is a bit different.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you but are you saying because Asante is a CB he's more apt to leave $7.7 mil on the table and holdout? If so I disagree.

If a trade doesn't happen the worst case scenario imho is that Asante signs the tender after the last pre-season game and plays all 19 games for the Pats next year.

If a trade doesn't happen the worst case scenario imho is that Asante signs the tender after the last pre-season game and plays all 19 games for the Pats next year.

No...worst case scenario is he holds out until week 10 then comes back to accrue a season, and in process screwing the Pats. If the Pats try to franchise him again, they'll have to pay 20% more than the franchise tag this season. (I think it's 20 please correct me if I'm wrong).

No...worst case scenario is he holds out until week 10 then comes back to accrue a season, and in process screwing the Pats. If the Pats try to franchise him again, they'll have to pay 20% more than the franchise tag this season. (I think it's 20 please correct me if I'm wrong).

Well you may be proven right but "IMHO" there is NO way a player leaves almost $500,000 per game on the table considering that's roughly equivalent to his annual yearly salary to date.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you but are you saying because Asante is a CB he's more apt to leave $7.7 mil on the table and holdout? If so I disagree.

Yes. I'm saying if both Branch and Samuel had a $7.79 option avaliable, Samuel would be more likely to hold out because CB's are making more money on the market than WR's at the moment.

Cramden said:

Worst case scenario is Asante comes back on the franchise tag and creates a Terrell Owens-esque firestorm in the lockerroom.

There is now way in hell Asante is going to hold out this year. How much more would he have to earn in '08 to make up the lost millions by sitting out?

As much as I like the idea of the Pats trading him for a 1st rounder ( 3 1st round picks this year would be insane ) I think the Pats would be better off renting him this year & grooming his replacement for '08. We are so close ( talent wise ) to a Super Bowl this year that I rather have Asante for 1 year & lose him than have another 1st round pick.

Yes. I'm saying if both Branch and Samuel had a $7.79 option avaliable, Samuel would be more likely to hold out because CB's are making more money on the market than WR's at the moment.

Worst case scenario is Asante comes back on the franchise tag and creates a Terrell Owens-esque firestorm in the lockerroom.

Do you really think a player with one year performing at an 'almost' all-pro level would risk pulling what T.O. did after years of putting up big numbers? T.O. was much more of a sure thing 'on the field' than Asante is at this point of his career.

So expecting a player to play out his contract is taking advantage of him? Interesting.

Why would it hurt the lockerroom? This lockerroom has never been affected by off-field or contract issues.
What good would it do Samuel to sign the tender report, wait for FA next year, but then sulk and be a bad teammate? It would cost him money next year.

Do you really think a player with one year performing at an 'almost' all-pro level would risk pulling what T.O. did after years of putting up big numbers? T.O. was much more of a sure thing 'on the field' than Asante is at this point of his career.

Just because it's the worst case scenario doesn't mean it's likely to happen. Anybody with a tattoo that reads "Get Paid" has me cautious however. Be prepared for the worst.

Just because it's the worst case scenario doesn't mean it's likely to happen. Anybody with a tattoo that reads "Get Paid" has me cautious however. Be prepared for the worst.

All the more reason why I'm NOT worried. A guy who's looking for his FIRST big payday, which most players think $7.7 million is, isn't going to leave $500,000 a game sitting on the table. If he wants so badly to "get paid", come Sept 1st if he's still a Patriot all he has to do is sign his name and he's the third highest paid guy in that locker room.

Why would it hurt the lockerroom? This lockerroom has never been affected by off-field or contract issues.

It's never lost us a game like it has for other teams. Patrick Pass wore a hat with a skull and bones and the #83 underneath it last year. That's not horrible, but it clearly showed that someone was displeased.

AndyJohnson said:
What good would it do Samuel to sign the tender report, wait for FA next year, but then sulk and be a bad teammate? It would cost him money next year.

Terrell Owens has no difficulties finding new teams to ruin. Not every franchise has a genius of a GM and a HC. There's always going to be teams who overpay for FA's. Samuel could always come back with the excuse, "I was not being appreciated." Dan Synder would buy that. If the goal is to get out of NE at all costs... then create a fuss during the season. Why get out of NE when you're getting paid $7.79m? Because the line of thinking of a sports agent and a greedy player is that even if you go through mischievous ways to get out, the grass is always greener (more money) on the other side (dumb NFC team who overpays).

It's never lost us a game like it has for other teams. Patrick Pass wore a hat with a skull and bones and the #83 underneath it last year. That's not horrible, but it clearly showed that someone was displeased.

This is just a small thing but IIRC the hat he wore didn't have a skull and bones on it. It was a skull cap (a kind of hat) which had the number 83 on it. I just thought that was funny.

LMAO!
Was he a child harley Davidson rider or something?

Or maybe he just came from Burger King with a hat from Pirates of the Caribbean

:rofl:

O man Sey93 that was hysterical.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots