PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Deion Branch signs with Patriots (one year deal)(merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The first three or four draft selections should be utilized to upgrade the New England Patriots defense.

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england...906291-voting-patriots-selection-48-only.html

The Patriots have 4 picks in the first 2 rounds. Even if they use one on offense, they'll still be in a position to draft 3 defensive players in the first 2 rounds. There's no need to draft exclusively defense.

We keep going over this. Hopefully it'll take one of these times.

Last edited:
I just cant see Ochocinco making the roster now...unless he has an amazing training camp and shows that he can be the #2 receiver he was signed to be.
I don't see why Ochostinko is on the roster as of today.

IMO, a receiver in the draft is a must as we're still one injury away from one of the worst receiving corps in the league.

Ideally someone steps up and bumps Branch off, as I'd really like to get younger at the position.

I have to agree. Even if we Draft a kid like Broyles and red shirt him.
DW Toys

I'm not sold on Trevor Scott or Jermaine Cunningham at the 3-4 outside linebacker position, especially from a pass rush standpoint. Hopefully, the New England Patriots will select a 3-4 outside linebacker no lower than the second round of the 2012 NFL Draft.

Neither am I, and I'm sure neither is BB. Which is why I expect more options to be brought in through the various means still available to them. As of this moment, we have not addressed the losses on the outside of the front seven. But drafting an offensive player with one of our first 4 picks doesn't mean we're just going to go into camp with only what we've got now. Be patient.

I don't see why Ochostinko is on the roster as of today.

Because there's no benefit to cutting him right now that we wouldn't get just the same if we cut him in August. Might as well see what happens.

Neither am I, and I'm sure neither is BB. Which is why I expect more options to be brought in through the various means still available to them. As of this moment, we have not addressed the losses on the outside of the front seven. But drafting an offensive player with one of our first 4 picks doesn't mean we're just going to go into camp with only what we've got now. Be patient.
My fear is after the second round of the 2012 NFL Draft, the pass rush talent will have been extinguished.

Because there's no benefit to cutting him right now that we wouldn't get just the same if we cut him in August. Might as well see what happens.
Your logic does not aid in my "Cut Ochostinko Crusade".

That's not ironic.
Posters on this message board were complaining about the lack of production in the New England Patriots kick off returns during the 2011 NFL Season.

Last edited:
Posters on this message board were complaining about the lack of production in the New England Patriots kick off returns during the 2011 NFL Season.

You're not wrong that that is an interesting point to make. You're wrong in that you've misused the word "ironic" by it's actual definition.

Locker room....... leader type guy........ Will carry the message "Hey folks, the grass is not greener on the other side. Do your job".

You're not wrong that that is an interesting point to make. You're wrong in that you've misused the word "ironic" by it's actual definition.
I'm sorry about the misuse of the word "ironic". The Ochostinko trade still "sticks in my craw" even as of today.

Last edited:
He's one of the WR's I definitely want to see back for depth and leadership. The guys I want for sure: Welker, Lloyd, Branch, Edelman, Slater
Oocho/Stallworth/Gonzalez/Underwood/FA/rookie competing for the 6th spot.

Nice. I'm sure him staying makes Tom happy so that's always a good thing.

He's one of the WR's I definitely want to see back for depth and leadership. The guys I want for sure: Welker, Lloyd, Branch, Edelman, Slater
Oocho/Stallworth/Gonzalez/Underwood/FA/rookie competing for the 6th spot.

Underwood still PS eligible makes the choices easier. Ocho out and cap room created....I'd say Stallworth/Gonzales/Rookie fight out for last spot. ;)

i think alot of people are selling Branch short....for someone people are saying is 'done' he still had 700yards and 5TD's

he certainly isnt good enough to be a #2 WR anymore(hence why danny brought in Ocho last year, and Lloyd this year)

but I think he can be a solid #3 WR who should be able to get open in zone coverage....the question is, can a rookie or perhaps Stallworth do better getting open against press coverage as a #3 WR??

i have to wonder if we will see more #3 WR sets this year

i think alot of people are selling Branch short....for someone people are saying is 'done' he still had 700yards and 5TD's

he certainly isnt good enough to be a #2 WR anymore(hence why danny brought in Ocho last year, and Lloyd this year)

but I think he can be a solid #3 WR who should be able to get open in zone coverage....the question is, can a rookie or perhaps Stallworth do better getting open against press coverage as a #3 WR??

i have to wonder if we will see more #3 WR sets this year

Anybody have Vatahas number? Look, bringing back Vets is nice. If I was a Vet I would want that respect. Roster spots are another thing. Branch doesn't play ST, he can be singled covered with ease and Ochcino as much as he is hated here, could have more of an upside. How embarrassing it will be to cut DB? The thought of whetere or not to cut Faulk last year I am sure stuck in BB's throat.
If we do Draft a rookie WR, do you have him sit and Branch take his reps? I am sure TB said "I will restructure if Branch and Koppen are back". The sad facts, both are going to be way to expensive and "roster blockers". They are going to be CAP heavy as well.

I like the fact BB is stocking up on mediocrity, but other than perhaps Lloyd, resigning Connelly, Greggory cause we had to, Fanene cause it was cost effective after blowing the Red Bryant opp, Gallery because we might have to and Scott because there was a chance he could be back to 2009 and we needed the position filled, in my humble opinion, I would have rather had a single talented player to work with rather than Gonzalez on one leg, Fells who one can find that "blocking TE" anytime the day before the first game of the season, Spencer Larsen who has no clue what position he really is, Allen who has applied for an AARP card and he is bringing Branch with him.

You know they are going to bring back Koppen so TB doesn't poke his lip out. Yet another replaceable guy.

These guys represent almost $9m in CAP cost!!!!!!

Gonzalez
Fells
Spencer Larsen
Allen
Branch
Koppen

These guys or Wallace? Or LarDarious Webb?, or perhaps Freeney?

Is their any intelligent poster out there who would say and agree,..... yes give me one of those three on the bottom versus six of those on top.

I can see Crazy Eye convincing BB not to go WR or DB in the Draft with all of those neat acquisitions I just made. More reason for BB to trade down for more picks now stockpiled to 2029!

Anyone bet the resign Faulk as well?

For all of our success including weak Drafts, down trading, passing on talent that has time and again proven to fly in the face of the Pats F.O. bad decisions, the Pats could be more dominant. It's like BB wants to give the other Teams a chance.

I am spoiled as we all are but what the hell is he thinking with those mediocre roster pickups and over the hill Pats who were great at one time but now require bigger salaries than they are worth? He wins but it is an added issue to waste Draft choices that they might actually take and bench them for these guys. Like I said, he wins. But we thought that the big TB restructure was going for players we could use, Not Koppen, Branch et, al. Loved them but time to move on.
DW Toys

Last edited:
Anybody have Vatahas number? Look, bringing back Vets is nice. If I was a Vet I would want that respect. Roster spots are another thing. Branch doesn't play ST, he can be singled covered with ease and Ochcino as much as he is hated here, could have more of an upside. How embarrassing it will be to cut DB? The thought of whetere or not to cut Faulk last year I am sure stuck in BB's throat.
If we do Draft a rookie WR, do you have him sit and Branch take his reps? I am sure TB said "I will restructure if Branch and Koppen are back". The sad facts, both are going to be way to expensive and "roster blockers". They are going to be CAP heavy as well.

I like the fact BB is stocking up on mediocrity, but other than perhaps Lloyd, resigning Connelly, Greggory cause we had to, Fanene cause it was cost effective after blowing the Red Bryant opp, Gallery because we might have to and Scott because there was a chance he could be back to 2009 and we needed the position filled, in my humble opinion, I would have rather had a single talented player to work with rather than Gonzalez on one leg, Fells who one can find that "blocking TE" anytime the day before the first game of the season, Spencer Larsen who has no clue what position he really is, Allen who has applied for an AARP card and he is bringing Branch with him.

You know they are going to bring back Koppen so TB doesn't poke his lip out. Yet another replaceable guy.

These guys represent almost $9m in CAP cost!!!!!!

Gonzalez
Fells
Spencer Larsen
Allen
Branch
Koppen

These guys or Wallace? Or LarDarious Webb?, or perhaps Freeney?

Is their any intelligent poster out there who would say and agree,..... yes give me one of those three on the bottom versus six of those on top.

I can see Crazy Eye convincing BB not to go WR or DB in the Draft with all of those neat acquisitions I just made. More reason for BB to trade down for more picks now stockpiled to 2029!

Anyone bet the resign Faulk as well?

For all of our success including weak Drafts, down trading, passing on talent that has time and again proven to fly in the face of the Pats F.O. bad decisions, the Pats could be more dominant. It's like BB wants to give the other Teams a chance.

I am spoiled as we all are but what the hell is he thinking with those mediocre roster pickups and over the hill Pats who were great at one time but now require bigger salaries than they are worth? He wins but it is an added issue to waste Draft choices that they might actually take and bench them for these guys. Like I said, he wins. But we thought that the big TB restructure was going for players we could use, Not Koppen, Branch et, al. Loved them but time to move on.
DW Toys

I'm not sure where to begin...

A few points:

1) Wallace wants Fitzgerald money, which is about $15m a year, NOT $9m. And you would still need to fill the other positions, so it would be $15m for Wallace, plus money for a #3 TE, C, CB, etc. Oh, and you'd be losing a 1st round pick.

2) Those players don't count against the cap if we cut them in camp, so why not add competition to the depth on the roster?

3) Even with Branch and Koppen back for a year, I bet we still have about $5m of that $7.2m in extra cap that Brady's restructure gave us.

4) I can't take any opinion seriously that overexaggerates BB's trade down draft strategy. People forget that more often than not he uses his first rounders and both times he's had a pick in the top ten he's used it in the top ten. Trading down is a SMART thing to do when you aren't sold on the players still available, and he doesn't do it as often as people think.

5) You have no evidence to support that Brady demanded any players back, you're just making it up.

6) Given the difficulty a lot of WR seem to have picking up the Pats system, is bringing back a vet that you KNOW gets it really that bad a move? We're pretty sure Lloyd will get it, but if for some reason he doesn't we've got Welker as a sure thing... THAT'S IT.

7) If a blocking TE was that easy to find, we would have had one last year. Also, Fells isn't just a blocker. He's not like putting Solder out there as the #3 TE, he can actually catch passes if the defense decides to ignore him.

8) Larsen sounds like competition at FB, and McDaniels knows him. If he makes the team, it's likely in replace of Polite. It's not like he's a big cap hit anyway.

9) Allen is older, but EVERYONE ELSE in our secondary is young. Are you that upset that we have ONE guy over 30 on defense? He might also be able to play safety, which means less chance that we have to play Slater or Brown there. That's an upgrade, even if he's not all-world.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back