PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Deion Branch signs with Patriots (one year deal)(merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have been terrible at the position but others Teams have been successfull. So it's not an indictment on the position itself. When we Drated Bethel Johnson we could have had Anquan Boldin...the year we Drated Chad Jackson we could have had Greg Jennings...the year we drafted Brandon Tate we could have had Mike Wallace:mad: you get the point one of these times we are going to get lucky.:cool:
The New England Patriots fielded a historical passing offense recording the second most passing yards in NFL history during the 2011-12 NFL Season with Gronkowski, Hernandez, Welker, Branch. Through unrestricted free agency in March 2012, the New England Patriots offense has now added Brandon Lloyd, Donte Stallworth, Anthony Gonzalez, Daniel Fells to the wide receiver and tight end positions.

The New England Patriots defense needs serious upgrades at the 3-4 defensive end position, the 3-4 outside linebacker position, the strong safety and free safety positions, and quite possibly the cornerback position. The priority in the 2012 NFL Draft for the New England Patriots should be defense not offense.

I disagree that this should preclude them from drafting a WR if they believe in the player they're drafting, but regardless I think you missed my point. My point was that whoever is competing for WR slots 3-5 has a unique and significant question mark attached, a rookie WR included.
The New England Patriots need to retain Edelman since he is the backup slot receiver to Welker and the New England Patriots primary punt returner.

The priority in the 2012 NFL Draft for the New England Patriots should be defense not offense.

Being our priority obviously trying to upgrade the defense, I think that, with all the draft picks we've collected in the 3 first rounds of the Draft, they shouldn't avoid drafting a WR if they think he has the talent to be a nice acquisition (and, although almost all the WRs NE has picked in the draft lately have been busts, we'll need to replace all the veterans sooner than later).

Last edited:
The New England Patriots need to retain Edelman since he is the backup slot receiver to Welker and the New England Patriots primary punt returner.

I'm in agreement here. I probably should have said WR 3-4, as I believe our fifth WR (who won't get any significant offensive snaps unless there are a couple of injuries) needs to be a strong ST contributor. Edelman fits that mold perfectly, as he's good enough to fill in short term at WR, returns punts, and is pretty good in kick coverage.

Being our priority obviously trying to upgrade the defense, I think that, with all the draft picks we've collected in the 3 first rounds of the Draft, they shouldn't avoid drafting a WR if they think he has the talent to be a nice acquisition (and, although almost all the WRs NE has picked in the draft lately have been busts, we'll need to replace all the veterans sooner than later).
In the meantime, the New England Patriots allowed defensive end Mark Anderson to depart via unrestricted free agency. Andre Carter was placed on injured reserve during the 2011 NFL season due to a torn left quadriceps muscle/tendon. Furthermore, Andre Carter is recovering from surgery and has yet to re-sign with the New England Patriots. Who is to provide the outside pass rush for the New England Patriots defense in 2012?

I'm in agreement here. I probably should have said WR 3-4, as I believe our fifth WR (who won't get any significant offensive snaps unless there are a couple of injuries) needs to be a strong ST contributor. Edelman fits that mold perfectly, as he's good enough to fill in short term at WR, returns punts, and is pretty good in kick coverage.
I'm curious as to why Edelman is not used at the New England Patriots primary kick returner?

In the meantime, the New England Patriots allowed defensive end Mark Anderson to depart via unrestricted free agency. Andre Carter was placed on injured reserve during the 2011 NFL season due to a torn left quadriceps muscle/tendon. Furthermore, Andre Carter is recovering from surgery and has yet to re-sign with the New England Patriots. Who is to provide the outside pass rush for the New England Patriots defense in 2012?

We don't know yet, but if we're returning to a 3-4 base, Anderson was going to be a part time player here regardless. You don't pay a part time player $7m a year. Carter, though not ideal, played 3-4 OLB for Washington his last year there. He may not be back healthy, but if he is, he can be an adequate base OLB, then put his hand down in sub packages. His value is higher than Anderson's unless he can't play the whole year IMO.

I'm curious as to why Edelman is not used at the New England Patriots primary kick returner?

My guess is his elusiveness makes him ideal for punt returns, but his lack of straight away speed makes him limited on kickoffs. But given how poor our returns were last year, seems like it would be worth a more consistent shot.

The Patriots WRs will in highest likelihood be:

Lloyd
Welker
1-2 of Branch, Ocho, Stallworth, Gonzalez
0-1 of Edelman or a draftee
Slater

If Edelman isn't on the roster thought of as WR, there's a solid chance he'll be on the DB depth chart.

Even if Edelman is on as a DB, he can still be the purest slot WR backup, so Gonzalez doesn't necessarily have a leg up on the other retreads.

I'd say Branch and Stallworth have the best chance because they've proven they can master the playbook in the past.

Yeah, the pass rush is a big issue. But what's your solution, drafting all the available pass rushers? We have 6 picks in the 3 first rounds, we can (and I hope we will) pick one or two pass rushers there, but we'll still have 4-5 picks to address another needs (secondary, maybe a WR, I don't know). And well, FA isn't over yet, and we still can trade for someone.

We don't know yet, but if we're returning to a 3-4 base, Anderson was going to be a part time player here regardless. You don't pay a part time player $7m a year. Carter, though not ideal, played 3-4 OLB for Washington his last year there. He may not be back healthy, but if he is, he can be an adequate base OLB, then put his hand down in sub packages. His value is higher than Anderson's unless he can't play the whole year IMO.
Andre Carter, if re-signed, may be a candidate for the PUP list; thus Andre Carter may not be ready for the commencement of the 2012 NFL Season.

Ocho Stallworth and Gonzalez may not even make the team so bring back branch is a good move

Yeah, the pass rush is a big issue. But what's your solution, drafting all the available pass rushers? We have 6 picks in the 3 first rounds, we can (and I hope we will) pick one or two pass rushers there, but we'll still have 4-5 picks to address another needs (secondary, maybe a WR, I don't know). And well, FA isn't over yet, and we still can trade for someone.
The first three or four draft selections should be utilized to upgrade the New England Patriots defense.

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england...906291-voting-patriots-selection-48-only.html

I just cant see Ochocinco making the roster now...unless he has an amazing training camp and shows that he can be the #2 receiver he was signed to be..

if anything, Branch, stallworth, gonzalez(if healthy) all can probably outperform Ocho's production last year for the min..

I hope all this focus on the offense in the FA means that the draft is where we will make a splash on defense.although I do want at least 1 young WR

Andre Carter, if re-signed, may be a candidate for the PUP list; thus Andre Carter may not be ready for the commencement of the 2012 NFL Season.

Possibly. My point was that Anderson wasn't really the answer for this season, especially at that money. There will be other shoes to drop before camp opens. I mean, right now we only have 3 OLB types on the roster (Ninko, Cunningham, Scott), which means there's still a spot available for one and multiple spots available for competition. I expect more free agents, a draft pick or two, Carter, some camp casualties from other teams, or some combination of those before we need to start really thinking where the outside rush is going to come from.

And for all the talk of outside rushers, I think the return of Pryor, addition of Fanene, and the continued progression of Spikes will improve the INTERIOR pass rush, which is often forgotten.

The first three or four draft selections should be utilized to upgrade the New England Patriots defense.

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england...906291-voting-patriots-selection-48-only.html

I'm 99% in agreement here. I think at least 3 of the 4 1st/2nd round picks should be used on defense (if not all 4). But I don't really care if it's the first three, the first and last two, the first two and last one, or the last three. As long as there are at least 3 new 1st/2nd round talents added to the defensive options after the draft I'll be pleased.

I mean, right now we only have 3 OLB types on the roster (Ninko, Cunningham, Scott), which means there's still a spot available for one and multiple spots available for competition. I expect more free agents, a draft pick or two, Carter, some camp casualties from other teams, or some combination of those before we need to start really thinking where the outside rush is going to come from.
I'm not sold on Trevor Scott or Jermaine Cunningham at the 3-4 outside linebacker position, especially from a pass rush standpoint. Hopefully, the New England Patriots will select a 3-4 outside linebacker no lower than the second round of the 2012 NFL Draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back