PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Deion Branch signs with Patriots (one year deal)(merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.
One thing to remember, McDaniels liked the 5 wide sets far more than O'Brien did. That might be the biggest reason why the Pats are adding a bunch of WRs.

McD never had two stud TEs though. Gronk and Hernandez won't be leaving the field. I don't see there ever being more than 3 Wrs on the field at one time, "5-wide" is possible but two will either be TE's for RB's.

So there it is. Welker, Lloyd and a bunch of one-and-done receivers. That should, IMO, mean that a WR will be taken high in the draft, so that he can learn behind whichever veterans make the team.

I look at this logjam and think the Pats aren't looking to select any rookie WRs. When are they going to get practice reps? Lloyd and Stallworth technically know the offense, but if either one is going to be a success at split end they'll still need lots of reps with Brady.

Looks like the Pats have drafted this position via free agency. I think its more likely they draft a fourth TE.

I agree with your analysis, especially with regard to Welker. We would "start" with Lloyd on on side and one of Stallworth or Ochocinco or Underwood on the other, with Branch in the slot. Gonzo is a wildcard contributor if he is healthy. Edelman is a backup in the slot. Obviously, Hernandez can also stretch the field.

BOTTOM LINE

Let's play a regular offense! Having 2 slot receivers as our top 2 receivers makes little sense. Obviously, this strategy can work. Brady set records. But somehow, I don't think that this would Josh's choice.

1) We have made a huge improvement at TE with the addition of Fells. We now have depth at TE. In addition, we have a true 3 TE set. Solder can now be a full-time OL.

2) We are in transition at WR. We now can stretch the field AND also run the offense we ran last year. Branch in a fine asset. Even at a diminished level, he could be a solid slot receiver. Of course, Brady also has TE choices over the middle.

3) We are doing very well in our OL transition, as long as our OL's can develop as OL's instead of fullbacks and TE's. I could still see us considering using an early draft choice
for an OL.

We would then have a 2013 OL consisting of Solder, Mankins, Connolly, newbie, and Cannon, with Vollmer there if he is healthy. We will be very solid in 2012 with Waters still here. Gallery is a solid backup for Mankins and Waters.

4) The only pieces missing are a veteran running back (could end up being an inactive backup which is fine) and a developmental WR (who would likely be inactive for much of 2012).

Yeah, Slater gets a spot as a "Player" not as a WR.

I still think it's 50-50 Welker isn't back. With Lloyd here we could easily trade Welker and go to two true outside WR with the two TE instead of one true outside WR and a slot guy.

Unless progress is made on a long term deal it's probably the choice of keeping him at the franchise number for one year then letting him go or trading him now. We could franchise again next year but with a 20% raise that would be $12M.

I feel like the Patriots now though, even in their "5 WR" sets (or probably more appropriately named, their empty backfield sets), are only going to have 3 actual WR on the field at once. Any empty set that doesn't include Gronk and Hernandez is weaker than it needs to be. Those two are better than ANY WR 4-5 they're going to have on this team come September.

I agree that it will most likely be three WRs and two TEs or even two WRs, Woodhead or possibly Vereen (if he rebounds from a poor rookie season) and the two TEs in that formation, but a lot of WRs will give them a lot of flexibility on to whom will be that third WR.

I think the new WRs could be because of the new IR rule. I feel that several of the WRs would end up on the PUP list, so if a WR is hurt we can put him on the IR and count on having him back in the playoffs while bringing in a fresh WR for the time being.

I agree that it will most likely be three WRs and two TEs or even two WRs, Woodhead or possibly Vereen (if he rebounds from a poor rookie season) and the two TEs in that formation, but a lot of WRs will give them a lot of flexibility on to whom will be that third WR.

A fair point, it will be interesting to watch. I think more likely though they just don't have a ton of confidence in any WR after Welker/Lloyd and are trying to give themselves the best chance at finding an impact WR3.

Oddly enough, each option has a very unique concern:

Branch - Diminishing physical skills

Stallworth - Not sure, but whatever caused him to lose snaps to Gaffney might still be there.

Ocho - Can't grasp system

Rookie - Historically unreliable

Gonzalez - Injuries

Underwood - Simply not enough known about him to evaluate

So there it is. Welker, Lloyd and a bunch of one-and-done receivers. That should, IMO, mean that a WR will be taken high in the draft, so that he can learn behind whichever veterans make the team.

The Twig re-signed?

So Stanley Morgan was not available?

We really do need to take a shot in the draft at a fast burner who can at least play STs. I lied after Tate, Chad Jackson, Taylor Price when I said i'd shoot BB if he ever drafted a wideout again.

2012 New England Patriots Wide Receivers

Welker
Lloyd
Branch or Gonzalez
Stallworth
Edelman

2012 New England Patriots Running Backs

Ridley
Vereen
Woodhead
Polite
Cyrus Gray or Tauren Poole (see below)

Select either Cyrus Gray from Texas A&M in the third round or Tauren Poole from Tennessee in the fourth round of the 2012 NFL Draft.

NFL Draft - 2012 NFL Draft Prospects - CBSSports.com - NFLDraftScout.com

One thing to remember, McDaniels liked the 5 wide sets far more than O'Brien did. That might be the biggest reason why the Pats are adding a bunch of WRs.

With the two TEs we have McDaniels will love the 2 TE set as much as the last guy did :D

As to the signing Really glad to have him back and unless he loses another step I see him as a near lock to make the team.

I agree with Belichickfan

Lloyd
Welker (I dont agree with the thought of him getting traded and would put that more at 90-10 then 50-50)
Branch
These three are locks unless the multiple guys from the next group shock us or unless there is more to come.

I also feel due to the age of the group at least one WR should be drafted in 1,2,or 3 and this guy would likely be a lock as well

Leaving a notso impressive list of guys but actually kind of impressive for 5th WRs (keep in mind you need a punt returner too so Edelman might have the one up on this spot)
Edelman
Gonzalez
Stallworth
Ocho
Underwood
Fighting for one spot. If two of these guys really shock us then maybe Branch doesnt make it or maybe they carry 6/7 but Slater is the 6th WR and he isnt going anywhere.

Last edited:
I look at this logjam and think the Pats aren't looking to select any rookie WRs. When are they going to get practice reps? Lloyd and Stallworth technically know the offense, but if either one is going to be a success at split end they'll still need lots of reps with Brady.

Looks like the Pats have drafted this position via free agency. I think its more likely they draft a fourth TE.

Glad to see you posting, good sir. Please....

Post much more often. :)

A bunch of points ba.sed on what I've read so far

1. STOP with the Wallace talk, its getting almost as annoying as the Tebow crap. It never going to happen. Deal with it.

2. Branch's signing creates as much impact as the Trevor Scott signing...maybe less. Now that I think on it, probably more like the Marquis the Jet. It is more likely that we will see a Troy Brown-like retirement press conference 2 weeks into camp, than we are likely to see Deion Branch line up for the Pats on opening day.

3. I read where someone mentioned Deion as some one who could line up in the slot. NO WAY, he physically wouldn't last 2 weeks in the slot. Haven't you been watching him. He's our Tory Holt. Runs a great pattern, explodes out of his break (back in the day) creates separation, catches the ball.....and falls down at a touch. No Martha, NOT a slot receiver. :rolleyes:

4. I posted a week ago (actually it was 2 days ago, but with all the stuff that's been going on, it just seems like a week ;) ) That when Deion signs the Pats will have 6 veteran receivers (Edelman, Ocho, Branch, Underwood, Stallworth, and Gonsales) all fighting for just 3 roster spots. That will be an epic Battle, where a lot of guys will lose.

5. Personally I thing it could even be a tougher haul for many of them, because I think Edelman is a lot closer to being a lock than Branch. Never underestimate position flexibility and the ability to play special teams in the eyes of BB.

6. Add a WR draft pick in the first 3 rounds (a distinct possibility, and the odds for those 6 guys diminish even further.

7. All this competition, and all the discussion it is going to engender over the next several months, and the irony is that the ultimate winner gets to be the #5 receiving option. Shakespeare might say that it would be the "much ado about nothing" prize. :D

We already have a burner on the roster, Underwood has a 4.3 40 yard time.

Point being...?
Drafting another wide receiver only to be placed inactive during the playoffs or cut during the regular season when injuries mount is a waste of draft capital, especially considering the number of unrestricted free agent wide receivers signed in March 2012.

Drafting another wide receiver only to be placed inactive during the playoffs or cut during the regular season when injuries mount is a waste of draft capital, especially considering the number of unrestricted free agent wide receivers signed in March 2012.

This line of thinking is a logical fallacy.

The New England Patriots cut two young wide receivers in calendar year 2011, Brandon Tate and Taylor Price.

We have been terrible at the position but others Teams have been successfull. So it's not an indictment on the position itself. When we Drated Bethel Johnson we could have had Anquan Boldin...the year we Drated Chad Jackson we could have had Greg Jennings...the year we drafted Brandon Tate we could have had Mike Wallace:mad: you get the point one of these times we are going to get lucky.:cool:

I disagree that this should preclude them from drafting a WR if they believe in the player they're drafting, but regardless I think you missed my point. My point was that whoever is competing for WR slots 3-5 has a unique and significant question mark attached, a rookie WR included.

True, but what's stopping them from redshirting another WR like Tate/Price. Other than they failed to develop....

BUT if Brian Quick were available later in the 2nd round, I'd take him and worry about where he fits later. He might not get reps in year 1, but none of Stallworth, Gonzalez, Branch are that likely to be here in 2013.

Last edited:
True, but what's stopping them from redshirting another WR like Tate/Price. Other than they failed to develop....

BUT if Brian Quick were available later in the 2nd round, I'd take him and worry about where he fits later. He might not get reps in year 1, but none of Stallworth, Gonzalez, Branch are that likely to be here in 2013.

BM i am warming up to that guy from that small school he looks so much like T.O.:cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back