PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Deion Branch signs with Patriots (one year deal)(merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I disagree about this being one injury away from being one of the worst receiving corps. If you count Gronk, Hernandez, and Fells; the Pats arguably have one of the best receiving corps in the league. You don't count the TEs and this receiving corp is above average.

That said, I think the Pats need to draft a WR or two. I just wouldn't do it in the first or possibly the second round.

When I said receiving corps, I was referring to wideouts.

I agree that, counting the TEs, the Patriots have an excellent group of receivers.

However, as it stands, if Brandon Lloyd goes down we once again have nothing on the outside and thus are vulnerable to the same liabilities that were exposed in the playoffs this year.

Last edited:
Branch's best role would be a #3 WR coming off the bench. I am guessing Gonzalez and Stallworth are long shots to make the roster. None of these guys are special teamers so only one will likely stay.
At this point I think all Branch is good for is a back up slot WR behind Welker. He can't consistently get separation on the outside anymore and he's borderline useless again press coverage. Putting Welker and Branch on the field at the same time against a good defense is pointless.

I'm happy about this. I hope he makes it and lends further stability to our veteran WR corps.

Lloyd
Branch
Welker
Gonzalez
Edelman
Slater/Underwood/TBA?

All they need to do now is SIGN MIKE WALLACE :rolleyes:

I agree with your analysis. I presume that you are counting Slater as a STer and not as a receiver.
Yeah, Slater gets a spot as a "Player" not as a WR.

Of course, the elephant in the room is Welker.
I still think it's 50-50 Welker isn't back. With Lloyd here we could easily trade Welker and go to two true outside WR with the two TE instead of one true outside WR and a slot guy.

Unless progress is made on a long term deal it's probably the choice of keeping him at the franchise number for one year then letting him go or trading him now. We could franchise again next year but with a 20% raise that would be $12M.

Last edited:
Glad to see Branch back in the fold.

If anything its great depth as a #4

To me I think its guaranteed that either Ocho or Stallworth won't make the team....Possibly both IMO

This is a really smart move in my opinion. This gives us three guys (as always, assuming Lloyd pans out like we expect) that will at least get the system and be solid. Given Gronk and Hernandez are going to be in there for 80+% of the snaps too, we only need three regular contributors at WR.

Now, if one of Gonzalez, Stallworth, or a rookie beats Branch out, all the better because Branch could easily be upgraded from a physical standpoint. But in the event that Gonzalez can't stay healthy, Stallworth falls to the same shortcomings that lost him snaps in 07, and a rookie isn't ready for primetime right away, you know that Branch can handle the role of outside receiver opposite Lloyd.

At this point I think all Branch is good for is a back up slot WR behind Welker. He can't consistently get separation on the outside anymore and he's borderline useless again press coverage. Putting Welker and Branch on the field at the same time against a good defense is pointless.

I disagree. Welker and Branch on the field at the same time can be an asset as long as there are three WRs on the field and Lloyd is one of them. Branch last year was Brady's primary target and performed well last year in several games. I think you are underselling the guy. He isn't a fulltime starter anymore, but he can be a primary outside WR against certain opponents.

Love branch but in the end I don't think he makes the team unless there are injuries in camp. Branch has the same problem as Ocho, he doesn't play ST's and won't make the team unless he's a top 4 WR, the 5 and 6 spots are going to go to players who can dress for ST's on gameday. If Stallworth or Gonzalez go down in camp then there may be a place, but i don't think he can beat out either if all are healthy. I realize Branch has probably had a better career than both but at this point i think he'll miss out if all things are equal.

Not entirely a surprise, but how many receivers do we now have on our roster (I've lost count...).

Schefter reports one year deal.

Schefter: Branch back in fold - New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston

-Jamman

At this point in his career i think he is Strictly a Back-up Slot WR. May we Never see you line up on the outside in the NFL again Deion...those days for you are over. I think Branch is a insurance in case someone goes down. If everybody is healthy he will not make the final cut. Here's hoping for a Rookie WR in the Draft.

Love Branch as a WR3, hope he makes the team.

When I said receiving corps, I was referring to wideouts.

I agree that, counting the TEs, the Patriots have an excellent group of receivers.

However, as it stands, if Brandon Lloyd goes down we once again have nothing on the outside and thus are vulnerable to the same liabilities that were exposed in the playoffs this year.

Well, receiving corp is kinda ambiguous since some people lump all receivers (WRs and TEs) together in that category. But I get your point.

IDK, short term, I think Stallworth can be the outside threat and better than what the Pats had last year. Branch also showed last year, depending on the opponent he can be Brady's primary target and excel. Just not with any consistency. Gonzalez if he can return to what he was before injuries is a pretty good WR. Combine them with Welker, and even without Lloyd they are probably a better receiving corp than about 5-8 teams.

Love branch but in the end I don't think he makes the team unless there are injuries in camp. Branch has the same problem as Ocho, he doesn't play ST's and won't make the team unless he's a top 4 WR, the 5 and 6 spots are going to go to players who can dress for ST's on gameday. If Stallworth or Gonzalez go down in camp then there may be a place, but i don't think he can beat out either if all are healthy. I realize Branch has probably had a better career than both but at this point i think he'll miss out if all things are equal.

Given the chemistry he has with Brady, who's going to beat him out for WR4 that's currently on this roster? Gonzalez? Even if healthy he's no guarantee. Stallworth? Possibly, but that's your WR3. A rookie? Again, possibly, but given the Pats history of drafting WR's and how unlikely it is that one would jump in right away, I think the odds of him making the roster are much better than you think.

He isn't what he was, but his chemistry with Brady is fantastic!

Even if he is here to mentor a rookie or 2, worth it through camp at least!

I feel Branch beats out Stallworth, Gonzalez, Ocho, and Underwood.

Ideal WR situation IMO:

1. Welker
2. Lloyd
3. 2nd-3rd rd rookie
4. Branch
5. Edelman
6. Slater

I disagree. Welker and Branch on the field at the same time can be an asset as long as there are three WRs on the field and Lloyd is one of them. Branch last year was Brady's primary target and performed well last year in several games. I think you are underselling the guy. He isn't a fulltime starter anymore, but he can be a primary outside WR against certain opponents.

With all due respect Rob i agree with Marqui 100% Branch is clearly an insurance option if Welker goes down. He has absolutely nothing to offer on the outsides anymore...at times it was painful to watch him last year.

Last edited:
With all due respect Rob i agree with Marqui 100% Branch is clearly an insurance option if Welker goes down. He has absolutely nothing to offer on the outsides anymore...at times it was painful to watch him last year.

And at times it was like the old Branch. I mean he had good games against the Jets (both games), the Eagles, Chargers, and Cowboys. Besides, if he is out there when both Lloyd and Welker are on the field, the quality of CB who covers him gets significantly less. Instead of being shadowed by the #1 or #2 CB, he is shadowed by the #2 or even #3 CB. I don't think he is just a Welker replacement.

One thing to remember, McDaniels liked the 5 wide sets far more than O'Brien did. That might be the biggest reason why the Pats are adding a bunch of WRs.

One thing to remember, McDaniels liked the 5 wide sets far more than O'Brien did. That might be the biggest reason why the Pats are adding a bunch of WRs.

You are right even though it was one of my least favorite formations under Daniels but Brady can run it.

I feel like the Patriots now though, even in their "5 WR" sets (or probably more appropriately named, their empty backfield sets), are only going to have 3 actual WR on the field at once. Any empty set that doesn't include Gronk and Hernandez is weaker than it needs to be. Those two are better than ANY WR 4-5 they're going to have on this team come September.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back