PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Deion Branch Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
My biggest problem with Branch is his price tag. $2.6 million for a #3 is too much.

Also, I'm getting SICK of seeing Edelman and Slater on the depth charts. They CANT PLAY! Heck, throw up Price and Underwood for that matter. All the "we are fine at WR" just don't see how pathetic our depth is. Totally useless group of guys that are slow and/or midgets, can't jump, can't fight for the ball, can't create seperation, and can't catch a ball that hits them right in the hands.

It's pathetic.

Who said Branch will get $2.6 million? Odds are he will be playing for the veteran minimum maybe with some incentives.

Perhaps Branch will be our #3 WR; perhaps he'll be our #4 WR.

The key is that he is worth a roster spot.

Will regard to salary, I think we can leave those details to the team.

Personally, I think Branch will be back for the veteran minimum as a #3 WR. He isn't really starter material anymore, but he has synergy with Brady and can be very effective off the bench. The guy did have some really good games this year. He just isn't consistent enough to be a starter and obviously he isn't a consistent outside threat or a deep threat.

Last edited:
Perhaps Branch will be our #3 WR; perhaps he'll be our #4 WR.

The key is that he is worth a roster spot.

Will regard to salary, I think we can leave those details to the team.

He is already #4. #1-3 are Welker, Gronk, and Hernandez.

He is already #4. #1-3 are Welker, Gronk, and Hernandez.

Gronk and AH are not WR. This year Branch was the #2 WR behind Welker, he was the #4 target in the passing game different things.

Branch is productive and plays well in this O he will be available for short money, he will IMO be on the roster.

I agree with others here that branch will be on the roster. It is however my hope that it is in a reduced role as a number 3 WR. In my opinion this offense needs (i know we are a good offense but there is always improvement), either chad or Brandon Lloyd or "insert name here" to be the number 2 WR who has the athletic ability to beat the CB in front of him when matched up in single man coverage and has the ability to if left unguarded beat his opponent deep.

Branch to me is a guy we would want to keep around to teach young guys how to be a pro and as a very good back up if injury strikes or the 2 minute offense where he and brady know each other very well.

Hopefully it is slightly above vet min with incentives and he retires a patriot in 1-2 years.

Re: Deion Branch - Discuss

Deion Branch was not the problem at any time this year. This is the way I'd rate our pass catchers:

Gronkowski- A
Hernandez- B+
Welker- A-

Branch- C/C+

Edelman- D
Ochocinco- D/F
Slater- D/F
Underwood- F

The problem is just how bad our bad receivers are. I would be thrilled to have two or three guys of Branch's caliber in our lineup. He has good hands and instincts, and he can make teams pay at times. Edelman and Slater are not even real WRs; Underwood is a practice squad guy. Ochocinco does not and will not understand the system. Price and Tate were both cut.

We just need players that are adequate to make plays when the defenses focus on shutting down the big three. We don't need Calvin Johnson, we just need guys that can beat a nickel back or linebacker in coverage.

Agree with your premise that there is a large gap from our good to our bad...

But what does a guy have to do to get an A+ from you...

Welker: A- ... had a career year in td's and yards 110+ receptions and almost lead the league in yards.

Gronk A ... The guy set every record you could for a TE...

Your a harsh marker sir.

But i do agree. Slater F, Ocho D-, Underwood F. Edelman is unfair to judge as if we did not have welker on this team Edelman would be playing his role and i believe would be a very productive receiver (not to welkers level) but a 70+ catch guy.

Mo - unlike some people, I don't over-react to dumb crap. Hernandez has had drop issues since he came in. He has gotten better, but he still needs more work.

Fact is that Branch is injury prone. Always has been. And I did take into consideration that the TEs emerged, but that doesn't change the fact that Branch just wasn't getting open anymore. And that, more than anything, is what caused his drop in production.

Branch did get open in the SB. 4 times last 2 drives.

When Welker "dropped", Branch was open on the sideline. Brady could have gone to him, it would have been 3rd and short if not 1st down.
Next, Branch gets wide open, Brady throws behind. Either Brady's injury affected the throw, or Branch was even faster than Brady thought he was and the throw ended up behind.

Last drive, Branch gets wide open running across the middle. Branch hurried the throw and threw it over a Giant defender who affected the catch. If Brady waits 1 more second, Branch is wide open to the left with no Giant defender to throw over.

Then Branch got open and converted 4th down and 16.

Thats 4 times he got open. So I would say that Branch still has it, I would definitely keep him.

He knows the Pats system very well and doesnt do stupid things.
With every rookie WR, you run the risk of him not being able to pick up the system and integrate.

I agree with the people who say bring him back, but at a minimum contract. 2 yrs, vet. minimum (or close to it) with incentives. How many times have the pats brought in WRs who cant cut it? Branch knows the system, wants to be here and Brady likes and trusts him. But I do think the Pats need to bring in a few players to play ahead of Branch. Lloyd, for reasons already stated on these boards. A 2nd or 3rd round draft pick (Alshon Jeffrey, Stephen Hill, Dwight Jones) and another vet. (Eddie Royal, Jericho Cotchery) at a minimum contract.

Last edited:
So you Guys are telling me that in the Best year ever for FA WR's you guys would rather keep a diminshing skills Deion Branch over say a guy going into his prime? Check this list again and tell me the Patriots couldn't find somebody younger or better than Branch! You guys gotta be kidding me. So Glad BB is making the decisions and not some of us.:snob:

2012 NFL Free Agents: WR

Pierre Garcon (IND)

Early Doucet (ARZ)

Eddie Royal (DEN)

Anthony Gonzalez (IND)

Harry Douglas (ATL)

Any combination of those guys could more than replace Deion Branch!

So you Guys are telling me that in the Best year ever for FA WR's you guys would rather keep a diminshing skills Deion Branch over say a guy going into his prime? Check this list again and tell me the Patriots couldn't find somebody younger or better than Branch! You guys gotta be kidding me. So Glad BB is making the decisions and not some of us.:snob:

Pierre Garcon (IND)

Early Doucet (ARZ)

Eddie Royal (DEN)

Anthony Gonzalez (IND)

Harry Douglas (ATL)

Yeah but if they don't learn the offense TB12's head will explode, and no one wants to see that. I think Brady prefers the untalented-at-this-stage Branch, over talented guys who may not grasp the offense.

For the record, I agree that Branch s/b replaced but it's not that easy since the offense is apparently extemely difficult to learn.

Yeah but if they don't learn the offense TB12's head will explode, and no one wants to see that. I think Brady prefers the untalented-at-this-stage Branch, over talented guys who may not grasp the offense.

For the record, I agree that Branch s/b replaced but it's not that easy since the offense is apparently extemely difficult to learn.

To say our Offense is complex is OVERRATED just like our Complex Defense...i consider that all hog wash! If the WR's we pick up wasn't so Stupid! we wouldn't have that problem. You are telling me that Hackeem Nicks - Victor Cruz or Mario Manning couldn't learn our Offense? For every Taylor Price there is a Victor Cruz and for every Ocho Stinko there is a Laurent Robinson. My point is other Teams have don quite well in evaluating WR's, the Patriots have been terrible in that department. Time to shake things up...with the success around the League it's cannot be that difficult.

To say our Offense is complex is OVERRATED just like our Complex Defense...i consider that all hog wash! If the WR's we pick up wasn't so Stupid! we wouldn't have that problem. You are telling me that Hackeem Nicks - Victor Cruz or Mario Manning couldn't learn our Offense? For every Taylor Price there is a Victor Cruz and for every Ocho Stinko there is a Laurent Robinson. My point is other Teams have don quite well in evaluating WR's, the Patriots have been terrible in that department. Time to shake things up...with the success around the League it's cannot be that difficult.

What you consider hogwash is essentially meaningless, as receiver after receiver, reporter after reporter, and team after team, has commented on the complexity of the Patriots offense.

Last edited:
In theory, having Branch around for insurance is fine. The problem becomes when you have to choose between having him stay and another guy who has potential.

I'm not a Branch fan, but I was ready to keep him around before the playoffs. Seeing his disappearing act in the playoffs reminds me why I'd rather roll the dice on someone new.

We have too many guys on this team who are consistently average. It makes me sick. Back when we won Super Bowls we had guys who brought their best games in the biggest moments. Branch is a guy who consistently below average.

What you consider hogwash is essentially meaningless, as receiver after receiver, reporter after reporter, and team after team, has commented on the complexity of the Patriots offense.

So what are you saying it cannot be learned???:confused: I mean a younger Branch learned it...David Givens learned it, Moss learned it, Jabar Gaffney learned it, even slow @ss Reche Caldwell learned it. My point again is the Patriots need to evaluate better in knowing which FA or Draftee WR could learn their Offense! Somebody have to be accountable for the lack of success in that area. Others Teams just don't have our Problems at that position.

In theory, having Branch around for insurance is fine. The problem becomes when you have to choose between having him stay and another guy who has potential.

I'm not a Branch fan, but I was ready to keep him around before the playoffs. Seeing his disappearing act in the playoffs reminds me why I'd rather roll the dice on someone new.We have too many guys on this team who are consistently average. It makes me sick. Back when we won Super Bowls we had guys who brought their best games in the biggest moments. Branch is a guy who consistently below average.

Don't tell that to the massive who want him back...mediocrity can only get you so far. Why do some many think Branch will be so much better in 2012 is beyond me. It's the end for Branch he's DONE!

Last edited:
So what are you saying it cannot be learned???:confused: I mean a younger Branch learned it...David Givens learned it, Moss learned it, Jabar Gaffney learned it, even slow @ss Reche Caldwell learned it. My point again is the Patriots need to evaluate better in knowing which FA or Draftee WR could learn their Offense! Somebody have to be accountable for the lack of success in that area. Others Teams just don't have our Problems at that position.

1.) I'm saying that your opinion about the complexity of the Patriots offense is meaningless in the face of the opinions of the significant number of players/reporters/coaches who've expressly commented about the relative complexity of the Patriots offense.

2.) Your point is a false claim. The Patriots have had success in figuring out which WRs could learn their offense, as noted even by you (Givens, Moss, Gaffney, Caldwell). Nobody hits on 100%.

3.) Lots of teams have problems at the WR position, so I don't know where you got any notion to the contrary.

Last edited:
I don't necessarily think he's done...but he just isn't anything other than a #3/4 on the depth chart for a WR at this point. Can't get separation like he used to. Love him though but I think his time as a Patriot is done.

Gronk and AH are not WR. This year Branch was the #2 WR behind Welker, he was the #4 target in the passing game different things.

Branch is productive and plays well in this O he will be available for short money, he will IMO be on the roster.

Gronk and Hern are not WR on paper, but they pretty much are running WR routes. That is why defenses have such a hard time with them so it goes without saying that they are categorized likewise.

Pierre Garcon (IND)

Early Doucet (ARZ)

Eddie Royal (DEN)

Anthony Gonzalez (IND)

Harry Douglas (ATL)

Look money aside grab the four best players from that list and team them up with Welker and the TEs and thanks for the memories Deion.

But your offense was dominant last year with Branch as your number 2 WR so IMO the prudent thing to do is find one guy on that list and move branch down the depth chart. Draft one WR fairly high(2nd) to really high (1st) depending on the FA you do sign. Then use the rest of your cash and picks on defense, defense and more defense.

Offensive side of the ball would be best to be the same staters on the oline, the same RB crew minus Faulk, Same QBs :D, And a WR group of Welker, ?(FA or first round pick), Branch, (FA or 2nd rd pick this can be ahead of branch if you like), and Edelman/Slater/Tiquan/other min contract FA or low draft pick to compete.

-
I think we need to be honest with ourselves. There is a large amount of money for the Patriots to work with right now but there is also a long list of questions they need to answer as far as their own guys. How much is left after you look into retaining Welker, BJGE, Carter, Anderson, Light, Waters, Koppen, Connelly, and anybody else I am missing? (Also consider a rookie pool and some buffer room for the season)

I hope there is enough for one decent to great WR and a lot on D. Much more than one of the top WRs I would like the top safety and/or CB and I think we would all like some front seven help on the edge and depth on the interior DL (though I put front seven well below DB and WR if we retain the above).

1.) I'm saying that your opinion about the complexity of the Patriots offense is meaningless in the face of the opinions of the significant number of players/reporters/coaches who've expressly commented about the relative complexity of the Patriots offense.

2.) Your point is a false claim. The Patriots have had success in figuring out which WRs could learn their offense, as noted even by you (Givens, Moss, Gaffney, Caldwell). Nobody hits on 100%.

3.) Lots of teams have problems at the WR position, so I don't know where you got any notion to the contrary.

All i am saying is i wouldn't want to have a ineffective guy out there in our Offense "just because he knows the system", Of what benefit would he be if he cannot get separation? Lets stop selling our Offense short it lacks Big play potential which could open things up more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back