PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Deion Branch back with the Patriots

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not expecting much from ole Deion at this stage of the game.

Luckily he only needs to be the 4th best receiving threat on the team. I'm guessing 3 WR sets will be used a lot on sunday, unless winslow picks up the play book real fast.

Luckily he only needs to be the 4th best receiving threat on the team. I'm guessing 3 WR sets will be used a lot on sunday, unless winslow picks up the play book real fast.

Deions a wiley old veteran. I don't expect miracles. But I expect him to make a few big plays still.

Cant hurt having some veteran leadership either. Our offence is suddenly pretty young with Matt Light and Waters retiring.

I like this offense on paper. :rocker:

WR1-LLoyd
WR2-Welker
WR3-Branch
WR4-Edelman
WR5-Slater

TE1: Gronk
TE2: Hernandez (when he gets back)
TE3: Winslow

The team is stacked at these positions. HOpefully, BB will be smart enough to keep Winslow when Hernandez comes back, just in case.

Suddenly this week just got a lot better.

Last edited:
wow i am surprised. i will take it

May not need much. A 20 yard or so reception in the last 40 seconds vs Arizona would have come in handy.

Exactly. The problem with Branch last year was that he played WAY too much. To be a guy to come in for some snaps, make a catch here and there when needed? Perfect.

The Salas thing is puzzling though. Wonder if Belichick's saying, "I love ya, Josh, but you can't judge talent for #$@!"

hmm I can see less playing time for Edelman now, this is good news, he's a playmaker

Why did he leave in'da 1st place?! BB in def in douche mode.

Why did he leave in'da 1st place?! BB in def in douche mode.

they cut him with the intent to resign him after week 1 because his contract is no longer guaranteed.

WR1-LLoyd
WR2-Welker
WR3-Branch
WR4-Edelman
WR5-Slater

The team is stacked at these positions. HOpefully, BB will be smart enough to keep Winslow when Hernandez comes back, just in case.

Don't forget Jake Ballard, who knows he could be back as well.

they cut him with the intent to resign him after week 1 because his contract is no longer guaranteed.

True but if A Hern doesn't go down would BB still be bring Branch back now especially with this Welker/Edelman crap goin on with 3 receivers?

WR1-LLoyd
WR2-Welker
WR3-Branch
WR4-Edelman
WR5-Slater

God knows, history has shown BB needs help from us being smart.

True but if A Hern doesn't go down would BB still be bring Branch back now especially with this Welker/Edelman crap goin on with 3 receivers?

I think so. it seems to me that Greg Salas was simply a place holder for Branch until the team was ready to re-sign him. Im a little upset we gave up a pick for Salas though.

I think people are being abit too harsh on branch...he wasnt great last year, but he still racked up 700yards..

Deion branch as your #2 WR is not good, but as your 4th or 5th receiving option(when hernandez comes back) is not bad at all.

defenses are going to be looking at lloyd/welker/Gronk and hes going to find himself open for some big plays.

It's about time...he never should have left to begin with

I am glad we took out the trash......the team is stronger offensively than it was 24 hours ago.

Branch normally has trouble getting open against single coverage. This is not going to fix any problems the offense has, unless that problem is "****, we need four guys who can run the spread, hurry-up-style."

So that's Gronk, Welker or Edelman, Branch of course, and, almost by default, Lloyd.

I think so. it seems to me that Greg Salas was simply a place holder for Branch until the team was ready to re-sign him. Im a little upset we gave up a pick for Salas though.

TB12 I always wanted to believe Branch was always in Pat's plans and I agree about giving up a pick and BB's thought process.

Branch normally has trouble getting open against single coverage. This is not going to fix any problems the offense has, unless that problem is "****, we need four guys who can run the spread, hurry-up-style."

So that's Gronk, Welker or Edelman, Branch of course, and, almost by default, Lloyd.

Branch seems to be a bail out at times for Brady. Even with as many weapons Brady may have they have a chemistry that's just natural.

Great to hear he's back, although I suspect he's had a verbal agreement with Belichick for some time (pure speculation on my part).

If I were to give a possible explanation of why we didn't just sign him to begin with and took Salas (again pure speculation), it seems that with the offense revolving around the quintessential two tight end set, Bill has been trying to groom and develop talent for the future (see increased Edelman reps, myriad tight ends, a number of defensive players). I think Salas was obviously brought in as a prospect that they could gauge and evaluate over the season, provided the core offense remained intact.

With arguably the most integral component of the offense going down, however, we no longer have the luxury of keeping roster spots for potential talent. I think the releases today reflect this shift in philosophy.

I don't think he'll be a game changer, but with him as our #4 WR I feel like we at least have some depth at the position again. And let's not count out his mindmeld with Brady that could come up huge in two minute drives Sunday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes