PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Deflategate scenario out of left field

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the easiest explanation is the best explanation. The NFL set a trap for the Patriots. It backfired and now we are paying the price of their incompetent efforts to cover it up.
I'm just glad we weren't punished by being forced to relocate to London!

All i will say here is this: didn't Brady say that he would give it over to Goodell but not to Wells?
I never heard of Brady saying any such thing. Either way, he certainly didn't say it before Delfategate was planned.

well......wait until this whole thing is over.......I have a strange feeling that we are not done with the absurdities.......this thing can go anywhere including the pats getting the picks back in the name of goodell 'getting it right'

There is absolutely zero chance that the Pats get their picks back. Kraft already made a public press conference accepting those absurd penalties and people in the NFL offices were celebrating it.

Just listen to the smug POS Troy Vincent as he continues to harp on integrity and fair play, while glorifying Goodell for doing such a stand up job as commissioner. These guys are pure scum, they don't want to get it right, they want to get it very wrong and skewer the Patriots in the process, while they convince the drooling masses that it's the right thing to do.

There are still Colts fans etc that believe the Pats GOT OFF EASY lol... you can't even make that stupid up. . And as long as the general population can be manipulated like that, they'll support whatever the freakshows on park avenue perpetuate out of spite and jealousy of the Patriots success. Most fans want the Pats GONE, they'd be happy if we went 0-16 for the next 50 years.. and those are the only people that they have to cater to and convince that they got it right.

There is absolutely zero chance that the Pats get their picks back. Kraft already made a public press conference accepting those absurd penalties and people in the NFL offices were celebrating it.

Just listen to the smug POS Troy Vincent as he continues to harp on integrity and fair play, while glorifying Goodell for doing such a stand up job as commissioner. These guys are pure scum, they don't want to get it right, they want to get it very wrong and skewer the Patriots in the process, while they convince the drooling masses that it's the right thing to do.

There are still Colts fans etc that believe the Pats GOT OFF EASY lol... you can't even make that stupid up. . And as long as the general population can be manipulated like that, they'll support whatever the freakshows on park avenue perpetuate out of spite and jealousy of the Patriots success. Most fans want the Pats GONE, they'd be happy if we went 0-16 for the next 50 years.. and those are the only people that they have to cater to and convince that they got it right.

jealousy makes people crazy, but based on the nonsense that has transpired from the get go, don't rule anything out

Kraft was not in a position to do anything but accept the punishment and get out of the way of the Brady train.......things do change, and I am sure that Kraft will approach the concept of getting the picks back if it is deemed that nobody is responsible for ball deflation

the colts are a small market team.........they don't really matter that much...the pats generate more income than the other 3 'final 4' teams........combined.....this needs to be held in thought as people talk about stuff

something must break in this..........it will be interesting to see what does

There is absolutely zero chance that the Pats get their picks back. Kraft already made a public press conference accepting those absurd penalties and people in the NFL offices were celebrating it..

It certainly looks that way. As Illegal and Sally Jenkins have stated, if fairness is truly a core tenant to Goody's personal and administration's principals, IF he were to exonerate TB12, then it would stand to reason that he would lift the sanctions imposed on the Pats.

I know, that is just way to outlandish.

The decision could be handed down this week. As Tom either wants his sentence cut or to be thrown out.

i don't think the CBA explicitly says this. what the cba does not give the NFL is subpoena power. that is, goodell cannot force a player to turn over a personal cell phone but the league can always view this as "non cooperation." someone please correct me if I am wrong.
Given all the science inconsistencies involved in this fiasco, this issue of non co-operation, would appear to be the biggest wart which could justify any valid ground for suspension and/or fine.

I am surprised that we don't have an accurate answer to this question yet. Or, do we?

jealousy makes people crazy, but based on the nonsense that has transpired from the get go, don't rule anything out

Kraft was not in a position to do anything but accept the punishment and get out of the way of the Brady train.......things do change, and I am sure that Kraft will approach the concept of getting the picks back if it is deemed that nobody is responsible for ball deflation

the colts are a small market team.........they don't really matter that much...the pats generate more income than the other 3 'final 4' teams........combined.....this needs to be held in thought as people talk about stuff

something must break in this..........it will be interesting to see what does

I'd be ecstatic if that happens, like bouncing off the walls level excited

It certainly looks that way. As Illegal and Sally Jenkins have stated, if fairness is truly a core tenant to Goody's personal and administration's principals, IF he were to exonerate TB12, then it would stand to reason that he would lift the sanctions imposed on the Pats.

I know, that is just way to outlandish.

sounds about right.......the thing is that when anything turns into a mess like this, and it goes to an independent arbitrator, the whole thing would have to be throw out.......goodell knows this which is why he is doing it the way he is doing it....blow smoke until everyone chokes

there's just one scenario that destroys everything......the reality that Brady and the ball boys did nothing wrong according to the rules.

the problem for the nfl and this going to court is that there is not one piece of substantive evidence.

I'd be ecstatic if that happens, like bouncing off the walls level excited

I think the value of those picks is greatly overstated......I'm not losing any sleep over them, but it does make draft day more interesting as well as draft talk

the pats lost a 1st round pick in 2008
the pats have made 11 2nd and 3rd round picks that yielded next to zero since losing the 1st rounder and in the last 4 years have still been to 2 superbowls and 4 AFCC's......

I think the value of those picks is greatly overstated......I'm not losing any sleep over them, but it does make draft day more interesting as well as draft talk

the pats have made 11 2nd and 3rd round picks that yielded next to zero since losing the 1st rounder and in the last 4 years have still been to 2 superbowls and 4 AFCC's......

If they pick towards the end of the round it won't be very valuable.. if they for some horrible reason end up picking in top 15 or 20, then it really hurts

They may have lost ONE, first round pick. But that year they had 2. So they still picked in the first round.

Similar to the OP train-of-thought...anything that keeps the NFL in the news...whether it's good or bad is the Goodell mindset IMO. I don't think they care if it's good or bad press.

I think their attitude now is...the more people talk about the NFL...the more interest their will be to watch games.

I just started to suppose a scenario and felt it was worth throwing out there in the form of a question......There are elements of the entire process that are so incredibly absurd that I've always had the notion that we still don't have the biggest part of this story that would connect all the dots...so here goes

How would you respond if deflategate was nothing more than a contrived wag-the-dog situation invented in order to repair the image of the commissioners office and goodell and the patriots were complicit?

The only reason this popped into my head is the blurb in PFT about Brady possibly having given up his phone to goodell........if this is the case, and goodell stands up and says brady is exonerated but will be fined 25-50k for not giving up the phone initially, the entire circle of incompetence will be complete, and this will be the first situation of its kind where everything that wound up happening from beginning to end was completely preventable with the smallest amount of common sense. but in the end, goodell will be able to lean on the notion of 'getting it right' in spite of the stupidity during the AFCC, in spite of the stupidity known as the wells report, inspite of the stupidity of the degree of punishment........hell, the team will probably get its draft picks back and everyone will pat themselves in the end when they got it right

I mean everything about this thing is so ridiculously absurd that it is not possible for something to take this sort of path strictly on its own........its just not possible
Good theory.
I find if one theory needs multiple people to be geniuses and another requires multiple morons, I go for the moron theory.

While dual geniuses have happened, usually they are singular. Don't believe me ask Einstein or Tesla. Morons often travel in packs. Ask Moe Howard, Larry Fine, or Mike Kensil. (Wait a minute, I just insulted Curly Howard.)

You're giving too much credit to Kensil and the other NFL execs that carried this nonsense forward.

I think the truth is probably much simpler than that. Kensil wanted to catch the Pats, and was given a good opportunity with the deflating allegations, but just too dumb to do any research first and wasn't aware the balls would drop PSI in January in Foxboro.

He went to the game, and confirmed the 'cheating' at halftime. He leaked the information to either the Colts GM or directly to the Colts beat reporter, because the allegations were posted on the internet by the Colts reporter during the 3rd quarter. Since only the NFL execs and the referees were in the room when they checked the PSI at halftime, and since the information was leaked during the 3rd quarter, the source of the leak has to be the NFL.

By the end of the game the story had already been blown out of proportion. By then, it was already too late for the NFL to acknowledge they didn't know about the ideal gas law, they would have looked stupid. So to cover Kensil's behind, they had to create this whole investigation nonsense.

Pure incompetence, nothing more, nothing less. But like any other big corporate entities, they will never admit to any mistake, since they have the funds to cover their errors.
The reason I find this so credible, is that if Kensil was aware of the science behind the pressure, I think he would have made up different numbers. He was probably ecstatic that the Patriots did all the "cheating" for him.

The reason I find this so credible, is that if Kensil was aware of the science behind the pressure, I think he would have made up different numbers. He was probably ecstatic that the Patriots did all the "cheating" for him.

This is absolutely what happened.
The colts balls then started coming in lighyer than expected which confused and frustrated him, so he put a halt to it.

I assume 2nd half kickoff uses a kicking ball, and then pats had possession using pats balls.
How long could it possibly take to gauge 8 footballs?

I wonder if it would've been cut short if they were doing the pats or if they would've made the 90 seconds

I wonder what would have happened if Brady said he only used his land line to conduct any football related business. Would Wells have him unplug it and hand it over.

This is why conspiracy theories are so hard to kill. They strike a good mix between extremely plausible ("Goodell came down hard on a team disliked by the majority of fans to win some brownie points after a tumultuous season.") and batshit crazy ("THE PATRIOTS WERE IN ON IT, MANNNNNN!")

Conspiracy theories also fill informational vacuums. Since the appeals process is behind closed doors, owners' meetings are behind closed doors, we've had months to speculate while the report was held (and Goodell knows this game - he let out strategic leaks to make it conspiracies about the Pats)... there's plenty of fertile ground.

Truth is, trying to track the "why" of it is so maddening because "the information's not available to the mortal man."

We are reading tea leaves at every step. The Wells report is so bad, though, that we know that there is something going on besides the official story.

I agree that the most likely explanation can't really be "this report is a smoking gun," because the report can be thrown in the dumpster based on the science. Were the science not (ahem) unpersuasive... that is to say, were the report better at achieving its aims... and they still led with a bunch of texts, even that would call into question the report, because it begs the question of why you bury the physical "evidence." The combination of bad physical evidence and "look at those texts" pretty much seals it.

So this conspiracy theory is a little more baroque than the usual conspiracy narrative -- that the NFL* is just out to "break up the Pats" by different means. I think it's way less likely, but hell, we're down the rabbit hole.

Pure incompetence, nothing more, nothing less.

The day of the game was pure incompetence. Deceit and hate were accomplices, though, beginning at least by the NEXT DAY, when someone realized the need to make up the "11 of 12" lie to keep fingers pointed at the Pats, and in the following months when that lie was never corrected. At some very early point it got extremely ugly.

I wonder what would have happened if Brady said he only used his land line to conduct any football related business. Would Wells have him unplug it and hand it over.

Right. Brady says to Wells, "I use pay phones to conduct my business. Is there a problem?"

Wells' face is ashen...:cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey