PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

"Deflategate has never been about footballs... what is the NFL up to?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

andrewssix

On the Roster
Reaction score
I don't think I've seen this posted yet. Written by a professor of law from Texas A & M. It's a good read exposing Goodell:

http://theconversation.com/deflateg...tballs-so-what-exactly-is-the-nfl-up-to-46119

"The question is whether or not Goodell, in asserting his supposed right to punish at will – often based on questionable evidence and seemingly arbitrary procedures – violated the basic right to fundamental fairness claimed by every worker, including famous football players."

"Imagine standing before a federal judge, essentially telling him that you have no need to answer his question because your client’s opinion is the only one that matters. Imagine standing before a federal judge who is clearly telegraphing his concerns about the basic fairness of the underlying process and conclusions, and telling that judge that he has no business asking those questions. Imagine standing in front of a federal judge, telling him that he has no role to play here."​

I remember this article. That was my favorite quote. I would add too, imagine standing in front of a federal judge and asking him to support and endorse a system of total judicial unfairness and punishment.

I don't see any sort of plan. The league brass is filled with petty fans who have the power to pull levers that punish teams they're mad at. They're mad because they wanted their team to win so bad that they start to believe irrational things.

Everyone keeps saying this is about money or power, it's not. It's about idiots who can't think logically or use reason. People that put their own interests over the job they are paid to do.

It's not good for the NFL to hand out arbitrary punishments. It's not good for the NFL to have the power to do so. They don't care about what's good for the NFL, they care about what's good for the team they've been cheering for the last 40 years, because they care about what's good for them.

It's about blind jealous rage by a handful of petty morons who lack adult supervision.

I remember this article. That was my favorite quote. I would add too, imagine standing in front of a federal judge and asking him to support and endorse a system of total judicial unfairness and punishment.

Or "Imagine standing before a federal judge whose courtroom you are in solely because YOU wanted so desperately to have the case heard in NY and filed first, then telling him he has no role to play here."

Everyone keeps saying this is about money or power, it's not. It's about idiots who can't think logically or use reason. People that put their own interests over the job they are paid to do.

For the owners I'm sure they all know the Patriots got a raw deal here, they are too vested to not know the truth behind these things and be blissfully ignorant, even if they show a guise of support.

For opposing fans and haters there is an obvious bias.
The bias is "I hate the Patriots"

They will accept/support the first conclusion that supports their bias.
New story: "The Patriots deflated footballs" -Accepted without question
further: "11/12 balls are 2lbs PSI underinflated" -Also accepted without question, no further information is needed on the issue.

Eventually:
"AEI addresses wells report" -Long read that will take time, goes against my bias. Worried about my underlying conclusion changing. Safer and easier to ignore.
"11/12 ball story was wrong" -Sunk cost trap, too deep down the rabbit hole to consider this.
"Judge Berman berates NFL's case" -etc, etc.

This is the same reason the filming walkthroughs and practices nonsense keeps coming back, as well as the cameragate misconceptions. People are not going to put time and critical thought into something that challenges a belief they hold dearly. It's also an explanation for why so many people are religious (it's okay if you are, just making a point).

I don't see any sort of plan. The league brass is filled with petty fans who have the power to pull levers that punish teams they're mad at. They're mad because they wanted their team to win so bad that they start to believe irrational things.

It's not good for the NFL to hand out arbitrary punishments. It's not good for the NFL to have the power to do so. They don't care about what's good for the NFL, they care about what's good for the team they've been cheering for the last 40 years, because they care about what's good for them.

It's about blind jealous rage by a handful of petty morons who lack adult supervision.
Its amatur hour at 345 Park Ave. What a bunch of make-pretend corporate hacks who would struggle with having a real job.

Pathetic.

This is all pure speculation on my part, but I see dual motive in the League taking these actions. Numerous owners had previously said they were worried about Goodell's perception following the Ray Rice Videogate loss, not to mention Peterson, etc.

Goodell needed a scandal in which he'd be the good guy and the NFL desperately needed a win in Federal Court and were prepared if not planning to circumvent the Minn district court and Judge Doty because they also needed a rare win to affirm the Commissioner's ability to dictate player punishment in their interpretation of the CBA (fairness be damned)

But they bungled the sting on numerous levels. I'm not sure if they purposefully left the refs out of it for plausible deniability, but I don't think Kensil was counting on the fact that the PSI wasn't truly recorded. No matter - they were prepared to leak purposefully false information from the start no doubt. I just don't think they expected any degree of scrutiny over their findings and they CERTAINLY didn't expect the appeals transcripts to come out.

I expect a big loss for the League (which may or may not mean a big win for Brady since technically Berman isn't ruling on whether footballs were deflated) - but I'd be shocked if Berman didn't re-iterate his earlier points that the league has an obligation to have a fair process, as well as follow the process and the NFL did neither.

I think Berman wants to make an example of the NFL, wasting the Courts time across the country because they refuse to have a fair process. This is just the tip of the iceberg of disputed cases if the NFL continues it's embarrassing and corrupt conduct, and Berman knows it.

I won't be surprised to see him either vacate or just grant a stay on Brady's four game suspension - with the intent of allowing the Wells Investigation notes to be public and reviewed by the Patriots as well as the right to interview Pash, in sending this back to a truly independent arbitrator (who I think Berman is confident would affirm what a joke the NFL's process and penalty is)

So overall, file this one in a grossly misplayed strategic move by Goodell and the NFL in terms of challenging Brady and the NFLPA over this, especially if Berman effectively publicly ostracizes the NFL into providing a truly indepedent arbitrator to overlook his appeals.

One thing is certain - no matter how badly Berman chastizes the NFL (and yes, I know that's far from certain but I think it will happen) the NFL will continue to posture as if they knew Brady cheated and they were just trying to do the right thing.

One still needs to question Goodell's standing - he's been publicly outed as a liar and his misplayed an important hand on behalf of the owners and the league - and I think even previous supporters among the owners have done their fair share of face palms over some of his moves and posturing.

But with any luck the Wells interview notes WILL be released, as this has been rumored for awhile and it could make sense for Berman to punt this back to a new independent arbitrator while giving Brady appropriate access to information.

And I think if/when THAT comes out you're going to see the humilation of the league taken to a whole new level

From Berman's perspective that may be enough to force the NFL into creating an improved player discipline policy which won't clog up the courts, which ultimately is Berman's true goal.

I'm just sick of hearing about this and seeing these threads about the NFL's agenda. I'm moving on to the season and when things get announced about the hearing fill me in. Just tired of this being a main subject. I by no means blame you the OP or anyone else for the concern in about it, but I'm just tired of speculations and theories.

I've had enough speculating over the last 7 months. I'm just ready for results and conclusions in this case.

The comments are interesting as well. I like this one:

David Hemenway
"I agree that this case is about power rather than football or fairness or integrity. If I could write a letter to the judge, here it is: Dear Judge Berman. Who started this fight about nothing? Who immediately made this into the crime of the century? Who fought dirty the entire way with false leaks and even direct lies? Goodell has proven himself to be a chronic bully and you have the power to help stop the bullying from happening again. Rule for fairness and justice over ill-used power. The hallmark of a good judge is to figure out how to do that under the law."

I've never gotten a woody reading an article about a court case before:

Losing a case against a wife beater or a child abuser is one thing. It makes you look good in the public eye. A blitzkrieg based on underinflated footballs – well, that’s something altogether different.

And a loss in this case may well spell the end for Roger Goodell.

I think that is salient. IMHO the NFL was figuring it out as they went until a certain point was hit. At that point it was no longer about Brady/footballs. Once that was hit their war plan was put in place, thoughtfulness was out the window, and they were 'in for a penny, in for 10 million pounds'.

To this day after everything that has factually happened it is still incredibly shocking it has actually happened. So far they have accomplished the following: Alienated a flagship franchise, has the heir apparent owner to that franchise publicly suggesting weakening the NFL office, another owner suggestion it just needs to be over win or lose (when do owners speak publicly about league office changes or 'win or lose' regarding his own side?), sullied a marquee marketable player, continues Goodell's slide into infamy, made the NFL office look petty and removed from having a sense of fair play, insulted repeatedly by a federal judge, and it must be getting close to an 8 figure cost. THIS! For a friggin ball that was off by at most, maybe, 1/2 pound of psi within a measuring process that was very informal and probably allowed 1/2 pound or more footballs to go by many many times????? JHFC this is so stupid I wonder if the producers from the Jerry Springer Show are advising the NFL.

And one other accomplishment for Goodell (though, unfortunately, not statistically probable - or at least not yet:)): If a few stars align, Butler and Brown play solid, the injury gods smile on us, what does Goodell do if the Patriots end up repeating as SB winners? Does Goodell opt out of presenting the Lombardi (maybe he, ahem, gets struck by the flu bug and had to stay home)? If he doesn't opt out, his mutt face will be in front of all those cameras having to silently suck on it while being shown up, maybe getting the cold shoulder and maybe being oh so smugly smirked at ---- with the cherry on top being he is likely to become the person seen by the most millions of TV viewers being *Boo'd* resoundingly (sure he gets boo'd now but this will be in front of the biggest stage).
((As the playoffs start and with each Patriot win, I hope like hell Goodell has to contemplate what just may await him in front of a massive live audience. That contains some justice in and of itself).

I think that is salient. IMHO the NFL was figuring it out as they went until a certain point was hit. At that point it was no longer about Brady/footballs. Once that was hit their war plan was put in place, thoughtfulness was out the window, and they were 'in for a penny, in for 10 million pounds'.

To this day after everything that has factually happened it is still incredibly shocking it has actually happened. So far they have accomplished the following: Alienated a flagship franchise, has the heir apparent owner to that franchise publicly suggesting weakening the NFL office, another owner suggestion it just needs to be over win or lose (when do owners speak publicly about league office changes or 'win or lose' regarding his own side?), sullied a marquee marketable player, continues Goodell's slide into infamy, made the NFL office look petty and removed from having a sense of fair play, insulted repeatedly by a federal judge, and it must be getting close to an 8 figure cost. THIS! For a friggin ball that was off by at most, maybe, 1/2 pound of psi within a measuring process that was very informal and probably allowed 1/2 pound or more footballs to go by many many times????? JHFC this is so stupid I wonder if the producers from the Jerry Springer Show are advising the NFL.

And one other accomplishment for Goodell (though, unfortunately, not statistically probable - or at least not yet:)): If a few stars align, Butler and Brown play solid, the injury gods smile on us, what does Goodell do if the Patriots end up repeating as SB winners? Does Goodell opt out of presenting the Lombardi (maybe he, ahem, gets struck by the flu bug and had to stay home)? If he doesn't opt out, his mutt face will be in front of all those cameras having to silently suck on it while being shown up, maybe getting the cold shoulder and maybe being oh so smugly smirked at ---- with the cherry on top being he is likely to become the person seen by the most millions of TV viewers being *Boo'd* resoundingly (sure he gets boo'd now but this will be in front of the biggest stage).
((As the playoffs start and with each Patriot win, I hope like hell Goodell has to contemplate what just may await him in front of a massive live audience. That contains some justice in and of itself).

Why would he have to wait for the superbowl to be publicly humiliated in front of a massive national tv crowd? Assuming he is showing up in Foxboro Thursday night against the steelers, I'd hope he is run from the field field with a flurry of chants and projectiles from the open, where I'm sure he'd exit as it is farthest from the stands.

Why would he have to wait for the superbowl to be publicly humiliated in front of a massive national tv crowd? Assuming he is showing up in Foxboro Thursday night against the steelers, I'd hope he is run from the field field with a flurry of chants and projectiles from the open, where I'm sure he'd exit as it is farthest from the stands.

From what I've read he is not showing up for the opening game. He has (wants) to be in SF (?) instead for the 50th SB opening ceremonies or some ****.

0.0% chance he shows up for opening night.

From what I've read he is not showing up for the opening game. He has (wants) to be in SF (?) instead for the 50th SB opening ceremonies or some ****.

WTF is opening in San Fancisco on September 10th? This season is shaping up to be the greatest fiasco in sport's history. Happy 50th :rolleyes:

WTF is opening in San Fancisco on September 10th? This season is shaping up to be the greatest fiasco in sport's history. Happy 50th :rolleyes:

SF is the site of SB50, IIRC, so they are doing some of the kickoff celebration stuff out there. That was all planned before DFG, though I'm sure Goodell being out there rather than here is because of DFG.

SF is the site of SB50, IIRC, so they are doing some of the kickoff celebration stuff out there. That was all planned before DFG, though I'm sure Goodell being out there rather than here is because of DFG.

Someone decided to do kickoff celebration at the site of superbowl 50 rather than the NFL champion's opening home game? That's pretty silly. Then again, this is Goodell's NFL :rolleyes:

NFL* !

(Not For Long!*)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back