PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Definitional Niceties

man, Clinton has got nothing on you. You cant even answer if Jews worship God or believe the Torah to be true.
It wasnt a tough question, and it kind of tells me I've been wasting my time talking faith with you.
Sometimes less is more, PFIV. You can write intellectually impressive essays ABOUT faith but you cant answer the most basic of questions.

the heart of Judaism is a belief in God. And that the Scripture is truth. Its not about showing up, performing religious ritual, and eating coffee cake.

You have a decent arguement that as a Jew, who believes that ************ is the Messiah prophesied about in the Old Testament, I am a Jew by birth and only a Christian by faith. I feel I have a decent arguement that believing what I do is simply fulfilling what Judaism was telling us.

But without God, and without scripture, what you consistantly have put out there, while common amongst Jewish people ( especially Secular American Jews), is farther from Judaism than anything I practice.

What many non-Christians fail to grasp about Christians is that while we believe in Jesus the Son, He is but part of a trinity, and that He is the way to the Father, the same God the Jews worship. So there is no way for a Christian not to believe in the God of Abraham, of David, of Moses and to believe in the Torah, the first 5 books of the Old Testament, and to also believe in the writings, the Jewish writings, which make up the rest of the Old Testament. Christians who dont grasp their Jewish roots are missing the point of who ************, not to mention Mary, Joseph, Matthew, Mark, Luke, John, and Paul, to just name a few, were.

So for Jews who dont worship that God or look to the Scripture as truth ( or cant simply answer that question when posed) to talk for Judaism is very questionable.

You may speak as a Jew, but if you cant proudly claim that God is your Sovereign Lord, then dont speak to me of Judaism.

Quite the vitriolic response, 3.

I note your inability to define your terms.

If you can not define your terms, you quite literally do not know what you are talking about.

By the way, your view of me, while entertaining light reading, is just that. I mention it not because I care about the content of your habit of ad hominem argument and slander, but because there are those here who may actually be interested in the title topic of the thread, prior to your attempt to reformulate it as a referendum on the poster, and what you imagine to be his personal views.

If you are concerned about my views of Judaism, Christianity, and Apostasy, and are willing and able to speak in terms that yield a discussion beyond "everyone knows," you are welcome to contribute in that vein.

If, on the other hand, you would rather take the cowardly route, declare me "worse than Clinton," and depart -- for the sin of insisting on defined terms in a philosophical/theological discussion -- I do believe you are incapable of discussing your faith, regardless of how loudly you trumpet its rightness.

This inarticulate howl of yours may be quite impressive to the weak-minded, my friend, but to me - again - it looks like you literally do not know what you are talking about.

Now here's the trick - none of us do. But with some self-discipline and some attention to the enterprise of inquiry, we can get closer.

Define "God." Define "Truth." If you admit you can not do so, say that is the case. It may not "make you stupid" to admit this, but it does introduce some questions we must pay attention to.

I'm waiting, brother by birth, "other" by faith, adversary by argument. :)

PFnV

Quite the vitriolic response, 3.

I note your inability to define your terms.

If you can not define your terms, you quite literally do not know what you are talking about.

By the way, your view of me, while entertaining light reading, is just that. I mention it not because I care about the content of your habit of ad hominem argument and slander, but because there are those here who may actually be interested in the title topic of the thread, prior to your attempt to reformulate it as a referendum on the poster, and what you imagine to be his personal views.

If you are concerned about my views of Judaism, Christianity, and Apostasy, and are willing and able to speak in terms that yield a discussion beyond "everyone knows," you are welcome to contribute in that vein.

If, on the other hand, you would rather take the cowardly route, declare me "worse than Clinton," and depart -- for the sin of insisting on defined terms in a philosophical/theological discussion -- I do believe you are incapable of discussing your faith, regardless of how loudly you trumpet its rightness.

This inarticulate howl of yours may be quite impressive to the weak-minded, my friend, but to me - again - it looks like you literally do not know what you are talking about.

Now here's the trick - none of us do. But with some self-discipline and some attention to the enterprise of inquiry, we can get closer.

Define "God." Define "Truth." If you admit you can not do so, say that is the case. It may not "make you stupid" to admit this, but it does introduce some questions we must pay attention to.

I'm waiting, brother by birth, "other" by faith, adversary by argument. :)

PFnV

No, im afraid im not going to get sucked into your next "intellectual" hole. It is you who could not answer a simple question. Go ask your Rabbi what God means. Go find a college class to do your head games that lead to nowhere.

So I take it you can not give definitions of either "God" or "Truth."

I do apologize that my approach is informed more by intellect than by enthusiasm, but substituting the latter for the former is no way to come to any sort of conclusion that's useful to someone who believes differently from you. Ironically, by one definition at least, it's also a lousy way to get to the "Truth."

By the way, 3, I think God and I are fine, and that's the truth.

PFnV

Last edited:
So I take it you can not give definitions of either "God" or "Truth."

I do apologize that my approach is informed more by intellect than by enthusiasm, but substituting the latter for the former is no way to come to any sort of conclusion that's useful to someone who believes differently from you. Ironically, by one definition at least, it's also a lousy way to get to the "Truth."

By the way, 3, I think God and I are fine, and that's the truth.

PFnV

my goodness, thats the closet ive ever heard you to come to a good old praising on the Lord. Careful, you might give the impression you actually believe in something greater than yourself.

Its really ok to have faith in God and still practice Judaism. Ive asked around.:)

Define God? He's the perfect, omnipotent, creator. Ruler of the Universe, maker of all things, The great "I am". The whole ball of wax. You know, the Father. The guy you guys worship in Temple, remember?

Truth? I know in this day and age its popular to say we all define our truth.
So if theres a pizza and I say there is a pizza its ok for you to say, no, its my truth that there is no pizza, and so to not offend you, I must back off and say, oh, ok, i dont want to push my truth on you by saying there is a pizza so lets just say, for me, I believe there is a pizza, but thats just me.

thats really a lot of garbage. Belief means you know it to be true, otherwise you are just blowing around in the wind, which most people do, btw.

Truth means its real, its the truth. God is who He says He is. The Torah is true, the rest of the Old Testament is true. The New Testament is true.

Now, someone who practices Judaism should have no problem not only claiming there is a God, but because it says so in the Torah, there should be no problem in the concept of worshipping that God, and speaking of that God.

Intellect is fine, but dont mistake Faith for simple enthusiasm. I have given you reasoning, scripturally based ( written by Jews before Christ was born) that I have used to support my faith. So I have both.

You have expressed only attempts at the intellect, which without the Faith, is self reliant and not in tune with the practice of Judaism.

Before you act like a victim and cry slander, this all started with a link giving reasons why a Jewish person could believe in ************. I never singled YOU out but you reacted like I did and started calling me an anti-semitic and telling me in no certain terms I was in no way practicing any kind of Judaism.

So ive just pointed out the other side. fair enough I think.

my goodness, thats the closet ive ever heard you to come to a good old praising on the Lord. Careful, you might give the impression you actually believe in something greater than yourself.

Its really ok to have faith in God and still practice Judaism. Ive asked around.:)

My point here is that we have a thread about Christians claiming that Christianity is in fact Judaism, and that Judaism, therefore, really does not exist, except in the sense of an "error." To believe the latter is a regrettably common point of view within Christianity; to believe the former, however, seems to be nothing more or less than willful ignorance of the historical development of the two creeds.

Define God? He's the perfect, omnipotent, creator. Ruler of the Universe, maker of all things, The great "I am". The whole ball of wax. You know, the Father. The guy you guys worship in Temple, remember?

Tell me if I have fairly understood what you mean when you say God:
1. He is perfect
2. He is all-powerful
3. He is the creator
4. He is the ruler of the Universe
5. He is 'the great "I am".'
6. He is a colloquialism for "all things," i.e., The whole ball of wax.
7. Another colloquialism followed by a biblical apellation: "you know, the Father." Used by both Jews and Christians, although Christians use this at least two ways - the traditional Jewish usage, as a father to all (as in Aveinu Malchenu, "Our father, our king" -- but also in a specific Christian way, in which God is the father of one individual, "his 'only begotten son.'"
8. Finally, God is the God Jews worship in temple.

8 is particularly interesting, since you believe that God must be defined as the Jews worship Him. As we see in (7), the Jews worship God in temple without inclusion of Jesus as any sort of messianic or intercessory figure.

While the theology of Jewish worship may be broad by comparison with the later-evolved cosmology/theology of Christianity, it does not include the worship of Jesus.

And so, yes, I find myself particularly in agreement with you on definitional counts 7 and 8. (The other terms, while broad, work well within my own theology. I doubt we agree on what we mean by these terms as well, but that's off-point.)

If you are saying that you do not believe in Jesus' role in the Trinity, or Jesus' role in forgiveness of sins, your definition is an interesting twist. I do not think that is what you mean, but that is the conclusion these terms lead to. Do you mean that to be the case?

Truth? I know in this day and age its popular to say we all define our truth.

What is popular is irrelevant.

So if theres a pizza and I say there is a pizza its ok for you to say, no, its my truth that there is no pizza, and so to not offend you, I must back off and say, oh, ok, i dont want to push my truth on you by saying there is a pizza so lets just say, for me, I believe there is a pizza, but thats just me.

"If" indeed. Although I will note right now I sort of wish there were a pizza, despite the fact that I only want one slice of the pizza because I'm already full anyway. We are such a perverse species.

thats really a lot of garbage. Belief means you know it to be true, otherwise you are just blowing around in the wind, which most people do, btw.

We're back to what most people do and how wrong they are. But you now change the term from "truth" to "belief," making your statement less relevant. Interestingly, in going from "truth" to "belief," you are specifically moving from the objective and absolute "truth," to a subjective, individually defined truth you were just railing against. But you also embrace a circular notion that "Belief means you know it to be true," so you've defined another term entirely by your as yet undefined word, "truth."

But now you drop the preamble:

Truth means its real, its the truth. God is who He says He is. The Torah is true, the rest of the Old Testament is true. The New Testament is true.

You've now actually posited something like a definition, buried in this otherwise logically circular statement. "Truth means it's real" could potentially mean something, if I know what you mean by "real." Let's say it means not illusionary, solid, possessing some ontic reality. Let's furthermore use your aforementioned pizza as an example of something real. After all, we can not have a world where you say there is a pizza and I just close my eyes and wish it away.

In other words, the aforementioned pizza is, at least in the example, real. So the pizza is true. My chair is real, so it is true. God is real, so He is true. The Hebrew and Greek bibles both have ontic existence, so they are true. Similarly, the Quran, the Baghavad Gita, the Tripitika, and Mein Kampf. They are all, by this definition, true.

You add, "God is who He says he is." I take it that this is the case whether we mean the multi-manifest God of Hinduism, Allah, the God of the Jews, or the Trinity of the Christians. I have not said you are wrong, mind you. But now we are stuck guessing as to whether "God is who He says he is" through one tradition of holy scripture, all the traditions, or none of them (that is, God being who He says he is, in the tradition sense of speech.) Or all of the above.

What I believe would be helpful to you is a stricter definition of "Truth" rather than just "thereness", prior to enumerating examples of things you believe to be true, since you have set such a low bar for truth. Unless, of course, your belief is closer to the syncretism of, for example, the Bahai faith.

Now, someone who practices Judaism should have no problem not only claiming there is a God, but because it says so in the Torah, there should be no problem in the concept of worshipping that God, and speaking of that God.

Of course not. That is not my purpose in this thread, however; nor do I like to expose my belief to ridicule on the part of the weak-minded. This is a personal preference, although I will further stipulate that language is a pretty dull instrument to express religion (something I believe you encounter as well.)

My purpose here, rather, is to determine the right or lack thereof of the apostate to evangelical Christianity, to the claim of representing the "real" Judaism.

Intellect is fine, but dont mistake Faith for simple enthusiasm. I have given you reasoning, scripturally based ( written by Jews before Christ was born) that I have used to support my faith. So I have both.

Your earlier thread notwithstanding (I believe we differ in our impressions of the powers of persuasion and reason you displayed there,) your answers here appear, as yet, incomplete at best.

You have expressed only attempts at the intellect, which without the Faith, is self reliant and not in tune with the practice of Judaism.

God save us all from self-reliance! First of all, I have noted my faith in various threads, though I should not have to. So your slander is noted but accepted for what it is, an attempt to discredit a difficult adversary. Secondly, we're not looking to prove or disprove PFnV, but his arguments. Thirdly, your assumption that self-reliance is incompatible with religious expression (particularly Judaism,) is questionable; but it is unimportant, as the statement as applied to me relies on the introductory slander.

Before you act like a victim and cry slander, this all started with a link giving reasons why a Jewish person could believe in ************. I never singled YOU out but you reacted like I did and started calling me an anti-semitic and telling me in no certain terms I was in no way practicing any kind of Judaism.

So ive just pointed out the other side. fair enough I think.

Too late for that. You'll have to take precautions against me or others "crying slander." To wit, stop slandering on such a regular basis. It is, after all, one of the ten commandments, the whole bearing false witness thing. Have a good read over what I've said here, 3. Ask yourself whether you are right or wrong in your assessment. And for God's sake, let's just move on, because I don't give a fiddler's fart about it, honestly. It's too transparent. But I don't think you even know you're doing it, though it would be nice if you realized the tendency and monitored it.

I do understand the points you wanted to make, but I think you've been sloppy in making them. Beyond that, I'm not sure we've moved much further along on the thread's title topic.

To wit, I maintain that evangelical Christianity is not, in fact, Judaism or a form thereof, and that this is why the two developed as entirely distinct religious traditions.

I also think it is worthwhile to make the point, since the opposite and erroneous point has been claimed on these threads.

Thanks,

PFnV

Last edited:
"While the theology of Jewish worship may be broad by comparison with the later-evolved cosmology/theology of Christianity, it does not include the worship of Jesus."

But there are Jews that do indeed worship Jesus. Does Judaism teach that when the Messiah comes, we are to worship Him? There are Jews that believe He came, and we worship Him. This is what Jews such as Peter and all the other Disciples did. This is what Paul did.

You have it stated that Judaism that includes Jesus doesnt exist and I have pointed out it has always existed and why. And why it makes more sense than the growing secular Judaism we see in many places today.

I am pleased you are letting slip out that you have a belief in God and if I have been mistaken in that, I apologize. But then again, how was one to know?

And I will concede your point that yes, Judaism and Christianity, as commonly practiced, are 2 distinct religions, although, I look it at it as more 2 distinct demoninations, as the crucial difference in the major points of the 2 religions is over one point, was He or wasnt He the Messiah? Religious ritual aside, when you get down to the core of Scripture, thats the seperation, thats it.

For that reason, I call myself a Christian and worship at the place that honors ************. My point was, Judaism was NEVER intended to disappear, the intention was for its followers to accept its own teaching. That its followers, for the most part, dont, doesnt mean its people are not still the apple of Gods eye. Despite the empty claims by many American Christians that somehow this is "Gods Country", the fact remains it is not. Israel is Gods country, and its the Jews God made his covenant with.

Ever wonder why a place the size of New Jersey cant be destroyed when most of the world wants it destroyed? Ever wonder why most of the world wants it destroyed in the first place?

Dont worry about Judaism, it will be fine.

Its about coming together.

Ephesians 2:11-22
11Therefore, remember that formerly you who are Gentiles by birth and called "uncircumcised" by those who call themselves "the circumcision" (that done in the body by the hands of men)— 12remember that at that time you were separate from Christ, excluded from citizenship in Israel and foreigners to the covenants of the promise, without hope and without God in the world. 13But now in Christ Jesus you who once were far away have been brought near through the blood of Christ.

14For he himself is our peace, who has made the two one and has destroyed the barrier, the dividing wall of hostility, 15by abolishing in his flesh the law with its commandments and regulations. His purpose was to create in himself one new man out of the two, thus making peace, 16and in this one body to reconcile both of them to God through the cross, by which he put to death their hostility. 17He came and preached peace to you who were far away and peace to those who were near. 18For through him we both have access to the Father by one Spirit.

19Consequently, you are no longer foreigners and aliens, but fellow citizens with God's people and members of God's household, 20built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets, with Christ Jesus himself as the chief cornerstone. 21In him the whole building is joined together and rises to become a holy temple in the Lord. 22And in him you too are being built together to become a dwelling in which God lives by his Spirit.

I think you understand that if a man is born a Jew, but becomes Moslem, he is an apostate (a convert) to Islam. It makes no sense for a different case to hold for Christianity.

I have refused time and again to discuss the particulars of my own faith here, beyond very broad outlines, because, as I have said on numerous occasions, in this context such a discussion has been taken as an invitation to the denigration of Judaism in all its variety. This is in line with the historical tendency among Jews to avoid discussion of such matters in public forums. The "target of opportunity" denigration of Judaism employed by proselytizers today is no different in that regard from the historical theological anti-semitism of the past.

What is interesting is that, with that explanation in hand from all earlier discussions, and despite my having touched on my own faith in the past, you chose to make erroneous assumptions about my state of mind/soul.

If you think badly of someone, but have no corroboration, you just don't like a person. You had no corroboration about these matters, and so constucted someone in your mind you believed to be a fair model of PFnV.

From there, you proceded to state the personal opinions you would imagine the "bogeyman PFnV" would make, and ascribed them to me.

Now you want to apologize because you "didn't know" that your assumption was in error.

This is why we state assumptions as questions, not as declarative statements, so we do not slander others. It is another precaution you can take. And if someone refuses an answer to your question, you can not therefore assume that the worst of your assumption is right. It means he refuses to answer.

This will be a valuable tool in the campaign to avoid false witness against one's neighbor, something that must be avoided for any rational discourse to occur, at least in the course of that discourse.

Regarding the discussion at hand, you seem to have some "Clintonian" wiggle-room there yourself. You point out that people like Paul, Peter, and yourself were born to Jewish parents, but also concede that Christianity and Judaism are separate religions. I think we're getting closer to the heart of the matter.

There are, within Judaism, teachings about the Messiah. A Jew (by religion) does not accept that Jesus was that Messiah. Christians not only believe Jesus was that Messiah, they believe he was more.

The core doctrines differ; since you are a Christian, your doctrine of a Messiah who is part of a Triune deity is a fine reading, to discuss messiahship with other Christians. It is just not the Jewish belief.

A second point: Christianity was rapidly evolving especially in the first century CE. So if in the year 50 CE you were a Jew who believed Jesus was a sort of "ironic twist" on the traditional Jewish messiah, that was one thing. You could do so, unless he made statements - as a matter of historical record, not a matter of biblical record - that he was in fact part of a triune deity. In other words, scholars are divided as to whether every word spoken in the Greek bible was spoken in history; it seems likely that rather than phrasing himself to be God incarnate, Jesus claimed to be the traditional Jewish messiah, but since he had no army or kingdom, he used a metaphorical rather than literal approach to the prerequisites of that title.

The destruction of the Temple, however, changed this dynamic. While Jews went to their academies and into the diaspora, Christians merely reinterpreted Jesus as the Temple Incarnate. "Oh look!" the Christian of the time says, "Since the cultic center is destroyed, we can substitute Jesus for sacrifice! We were right, we were right!"

Now, you as a Christian believe Jesus made the statements referring to these things during his lifetime. I, as a non-Christian, believe that much evolved in Christianity after Jesus' death. Certainly much happened to the practice of Judaism (the loss of the cultic sacrificial center, whereby prayer and observance were the more emphasized.)

You, as a Christian, can say "look how perfectly these books fit these events!" I, as a Jew, will say "and don't tell me, we take the book's word for it, that the book is true."

You will say "but you know from our pizza example that truth is objective." And I'll answer "you're right, and you've just admitted the God of the Jews is the true God. Nyah nyah nyah, no Jesus!"

But that's just silliness. The point is not what we say on the matter (or preferably do not say,) the point is that you are a Christian (as regards religious belief and practice,) and I am a Jew. Christianity is nothing to be ashamed of, and neither is Judaism. They are just not identical.

Thanks once again,

PFnV

Basically, 'Jewish' means Israeli. To say you are a Jew based on your bloodlines is basically tracking Israeli heredity and genes.

Judaism on the other hand is a religion. Anyone can be Jewish.

Judaism on the other hand is a religion. Anyone can be Jewish.

You mean anyone can practice Judaism, right?

That's what was explained to me by my very good atheist Jewish friend: there are Jews who are not religious but still follow customs and habits of the Jewish race.

Last edited:
You mean anyone can practice Judaism, right?

That's what was explained to me by my very good atheist Jewish friend: there are Jews who are not religious but still follow customs and habits of the Jewish race.

thus the difference between being Jewish and practicing Judiasm.

Yeah, only minor nits to pick here, and it's really picky stuff. Mav, "Israeli" indicates citizenship in the modern state of Israel. Jews and non-Jews alike hold Israeli citizenship, but I think you mean "Israelite," which, maddeningly, has some ambiguities as well (ask a Samaritan,) and besides, is a little on the quaint side. But that's a minor nit.

It could also be a source of confusion that one can convert to Judaism, and bingo, he's a Jew -- so it's not a genetic definition. (Not saying anyone here said that, this is just something to get out there, while we're having the discussion.)

So I think the best word for someone who is a Jew, is a Jew.

But I think we've got the basics pretty much down. Heck, I think even 3 and I have come to agree on the point: Judaism refers to a religion with some definite "boundary" lines. Though the dual role of the word "Jew" as a religious and ethnic marker can add lots of confusion, the Jewish people, by and large, practice Judaism (because if they do not, pretty soon their offspring drop from the ethnic definition as well as the religious definition. Just the way it plays out.)

PFnV

Define your terms ;)

JUST KIDDING this time...

But I think we've got the basics pretty much down. Heck, I think even 3 and I have come to agree on the point: Judaism refers to a religion with some definite "boundary" lines. Though the dual role of the word "Jew" as a religious and ethnic marker can add lots of confusion, the Jewish people, by and large, practice Judaism (because if they do not, pretty soon their offspring drop from the ethnic definition as well as the religious definition. Just the way it plays out.)

PFnV

OK, right, by 'Israeli' I meant the historical group of people who resided in Israel a long time ago. I guess I meant 'Israelite'.

What I am concerned about is that if most Jews really do practice Judaism, then why is it so important for some Jews to keep tract of who is 1/4, 1/8, whatever percentage etc Jewish? Because at that level they are basically keeping track of race for the sake of race, and it comes across as racist to me. I am also very confused by what a Jewish friend told me about the different treatments in Israel depending on whether you are Sephartic or European Jewish.

Please explain, thanks!!!

OK, right, by 'Israeli' I meant the historical group of people who resided in Israel a long time ago. I guess I meant 'Israelite'.

What I am concerned about is that if most Jews really do practice Judaism, then why is it so important for some Jews to keep tract of who is 1/4, 1/8, whatever percentage etc Jewish? Because at that level they are basically keeping track of race for the sake of race, and it comes across as racist to me. I am also very confused by what a Jewish friend told me about the different treatments in Israel depending on whether you are Sephartic or European Jewish.

Please explain, thanks!!!

Okay, when you get to "1/4, 1/8," etc., you're getting into how people see themselves ethnically. Now get this - you can say you're 1/2 Jewish, but if your father is Italian Catholic, and your mother is Jewish, that makes you 100% Jewish. Of course, that's not what you say, if you're raised Catholic. Then you (if male) marry a non-Jewish female, and the kid talks about being 1/4 Jewish... but near as I can tell, that's kind of a folk derivation. There's no big Jewish Headquarters Office where they keep track of "octaJews" and "semiJews." (Although, because of the Law of Return, they do track who is and is not a Jew pretty closely in Israel.)

As to Ashkenazi racism toward Sephardim in Israel, I've heard about it as well. But there's no claim that they're not Jews based on their Sephardic heritage (if that's what you're asking.)

PFnV

Okay, when you get to "1/4, 1/8," etc., you're getting into how people see themselves ethnically. Now get this - you can say you're 1/2 Jewish, but if your father is Italian Catholic, and your mother is Jewish, that makes you 100% Jewish. Of course, that's not what you say, if you're raised Catholic. Then you (if male) marry a non-Jewish female, and the kid talks about being 1/4 Jewish... but near as I can tell, that's kind of a folk derivation. There's no big Jewish Headquarters Office where they keep track of "octaJews" and "semiJews." (Although, because of the Law of Return, they do track who is and is not a Jew pretty closely in Israel.)

As to Ashkenazi racism toward Sephardim in Israel, I've heard about it as well. But there's no claim that they're not Jews based on their Sephardic heritage (if that's what you're asking.)

PFnV

Interesting. OK, well what if a completely non-Jewish man and his non-Jewish wife convert to the religion of Judaism. Is their child Jewish? Do all these rules about being Jewish based on bloodlines still apply for later generations of this family?

Last edited:
Interesting. OK, well what if a completely non-Jewish man and his non-Jewish wife convert to the religion of Judaism. Is their child Jewish? Do all these rules about being Jewish based on bloodlines still apply for later generations of this family?

The rule is if they convert (or even if only she converts,) and then has a baby, the baby is Jewish. If they convert after a baby's born, as I understand it, the baby has to get "converted" too. I'm not sure they convert babies (like a baptism,) but they might. I'm out of my depth on that one. And yes, a Jewish woman (by conversion or otherwise) has 100% kosher kids for all time. Of course, if a male Jewish child, whether for one generation or a hundred generations, marries a non-Jewish woman, the rule is either she converts, or the baby is not Jewish "by birth." The child, of course, can always convert later in life. Probably this happens a fair amount in a mixed marriage, where the husband is deeply religious in every other way, but marries out (which is pretty discouraged in Judaism, in direct proportion to how orthodox one is.)

PFnV

The rule is if they convert (or even if only she converts,) and then has a baby, the baby is Jewish. If they convert after a baby's born, as I understand it, the baby has to get "converted" too. I'm not sure they convert babies (like a baptism,) but they might. I'm out of my depth on that one. And yes, a Jewish woman (by conversion or otherwise) has 100% kosher kids for all time. Of course, if a male Jewish child, whether for one generation or a hundred generations, marries a non-Jewish woman, the rule is either she converts, or the baby is not Jewish "by birth." The child, of course, can always convert later in life. Probably this happens a fair amount in a mixed marriage, where the husband is deeply religious in every other way, but marries out (which is pretty discouraged in Judaism, in direct proportion to how orthodox one is.)

PFnV

But seeing as you arent converting blood, that must mean you are converting beliefs, right?
So if a mother is changing what she believes and is therefore now Jewish, does that make her child believe what she believes? After all, their connection is blood. Biological.
By this logic and religious practice it says to me that according to Judaism what we believe changes what we are, otherwise, why would a mothers change of belief have an effect on the "bloodline" of her child?
Is Faith and belief so powerful that it trumps the physical?
That is quite a testimony to the power of belief. That in itself tells me that Judaism is so driven by Faith that it demonstrates by this example the ability of man to change from the "old man" to the "new man" by coming to know God differently. To be.....Born again?

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back