Welcome to PatsFans.com

Definition of the word "State"

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by jmur116, Jul 24, 2014.

1. jmur116

jmur116 Rookie

Ratings:
    +58 / 0 / -0

Can someone please define to me what constitutes "State" for the ACA?

http://online.wsj.com/articles/territories-free-of-obamacare-1405896906

Just last week the argument was made that the intention of the wording of the ACA was not restricted to the traditional definition of a "State", and statements from HHS previously incorporated territories in the definition of "states", but now the narrow definition of "state" is being used to exempt the territories from falling under the majority of ACA requirements. How can it be all inclusive in one instance and narrow and restrictive in the other?

If it is the implied meaning for the exchange purposes, then shouldnt the fact that they specifically discussed territories during the debate, and included them, also apply?

Personally, I have no issue exempting the territories from the ACA, as it is devestating their insurance market, but I am against duplicity and hypocracy...so pick one definition and keep it
  2. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +172 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

I think playing with a word like "state" to mean something that needs complicated explanations and gymnastics to understand its real "intention" is spin.
  3. The Brandon Five

The Brandon Five Rookie

Ratings:
    +223 / 0 / -4

#75 Jersey

Well obviously it means whatever they want it to mean based on the situation, duh!