Definitely not on the roster

Status
Not open for further replies.

TB146

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
Mike Reiss posted the current roster of 88:
Patriots roster check: 88 players - New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston

We usually discuss the roster in terms of who we think will or maybe will make it. But let's take the opposite approach and discuss who we think will definitely NOT be on the roster.

For example, we currently have 5 TEs listed, but I expect Agnone and Myers to be cut because of the acquisition of Crumpler and how well we drafted at the position. Besides, there's only room for one TE named Rob, not three. :D

We have 4 QBs listed, and I expect Rowe to be cut. (I'm thinking Hoyer=backup, Robinson=PS)

There's a crowd at WR which I expect to be just about cut in half by September, but right now the only name I feel comfortable cutting is Jenkins, and we'll wait and see who else gets cut based on performance and ST contributions.

Obviously, it's only May and the roster will become more defined with time, training camp, and any other off-season aquisitions, but who do you think is definitely NOT going to make it.

I'll leave the obvious first 'cut' (WR) to someone else. ;)

I think Slater may finally get the axe.

I'll leave the obvious first 'cut' (WR) to someone else. ;)

The thread title alone called you-know-who to mind.

The first to actually type the name of he-who-absolutely-will-not-make-this-team loses.

Last edited:
I really hope this is the year we cut some of our special team "demons" in lieu of some position players with some upside. With all the seemingly uncuttable special team only players on the squad last year our special teams play was pretty poor.

Randy Moss won't make the cut. Character issues. Terrible trade.

Wait... what year is this again?

I'm not gonna say it....

Many of these posts are repeating one another. Is there a ... ?

There's NO WAY that David Patten makes this team.

Oh no he di-in't!

Ahahaha... ya, but he's prolly right. :p

Mike Reiss posted the current roster of 88:
Patriots roster check: 88 players - New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston

We usually discuss the roster in terms of who we think will or maybe will make it. But let's take the opposite approach and discuss who we think will definitely NOT be on the roster.

For example, we currently have 5 TEs listed, but I expect Agnone and Myers to be cut because of the acquisition of Crumpler and how well we drafted at the position. Besides, there's only room for one TE named Rob, not three. :D

We have 4 QBs listed, and I expect Rowe to be cut. (I'm thinking Hoyer=backup, Robinson=PS)

There's a crowd at WR which I expect to be just about cut in half by September, but right now the only name I feel comfortable cutting is Jenkins, and we'll wait and see who else gets cut based on performance and ST contributions.

Obviously, it's only May and the roster will become more defined with time, training camp, and any other off-season aquisitions, but who do you think is definitely NOT going to make it.

Reiss' premise is incorrect. The Pats do NOT have 88 players on their roster. They have 76 with 12 unsigned draft picks.

Now, the Pats will have to cut 8 prior to the start of TC. I don't expect any of those cuts to be people who were on the roster at the end of last season.

While people keep wanting to axe Slater, those people usually forget that he plays on all 6 facets of special teams and is one of the team's best special teams players.

The 3rd QB spot will be fought between Stanback, Rowe, and Robinson. Stanback joined the Pats last year after a guarantee he's be given a legitimate shot as a QB and not a WR. He was thrust into the WR mix because of injuries and ineffectiveness.

Aiken is someone who I believe could be gone before Slater if someone else can be the Personal Protector (Marquis Murrell???) in the Punt formations.

Eric Alexander may also be given his walking papers prior to TC so that he has a chance to catch on with someone else.

There's NO WAY that David Patten makes this team.

shockedandappalled.jpg

I am going to throw one out there......

Wheatly will not make this team.

But to be honest other than the few no-name guys that would be considered the 80-88 on this team right now I think this TC offers more competition for roster spots since 01. With all the rookies that made it last year and all the rookies that were drafted this year you are looking at over a third of a roster (granted not all the rookies from this year will make it).

While people keep wanting to axe Slater, those people usually forget that he plays on all 6 facets of special teams and is one of the team's best special teams players.

The 3rd QB spot will be fought between Stanback, Rowe, and Robinson. Stanback joined the Pats last year after a guarantee he's be given a legitimate shot as a QB and not a WR. He was thrust into the WR mix because of injuries and ineffectiveness.

Aiken is someone who I believe could be gone before Slater if someone else can be the Personal Protector (Marquis Murrell???) in the Punt formations.

Eric Alexander may also be given his walking papers prior to TC so that he has a chance to catch on with someone else.

I love these STs conversation and you definitely are in line with some of my thinking. I have been a defender of Slater on here because despite not being the returner we hoped when we drafted him he has been awsome at all other phases of STs (problem is average people only think of returns when they think of STs). All that said Slaters biggest problem for a roster spot this year will be how nasty Arrington was last year and the addition of Mccourty. IMO Marquis Murrell kind of makes Alexander expendable not aiken but I see your point about the protector (I suppose Murrell could make both expendable). Aiken's biggest problem IMO is that we added some depth to the WR position and he will now have to win his spot on this team soley on STs not something he isn't used to but with the above it wont be as easy for him to make the team as last year though somehow I think he makes it.

The STs only guys certainly have a lot of competition this year and no doubt one or two of them will be squezzed out by the added positional depth and the fact that there are more STs only players competing with eachother than were on the 53 last year (as normally expected).

I love these STs conversation and you definitely are in line with some of my thinking. I have been a defender of Slater on here because despite not being the returner we hoped when we drafted him he has been awsome at all other phases of STs (problem is average people only think of returns when they think of STs). All that said Slaters biggest problem for a roster spot this year will be how nasty Arrington was last year and the addition of Mccourty. IMO Marquis Murrell kind of makes Alexander expendable not aiken but I see your point about the protector (I suppose Murrell could make both expendable). Aiken's biggest problem IMO is that we added some depth to the WR position and he will now have to win his spot on this team soley on STs not something he isn't used to but with the above it wont be as easy for him to make the team as last year though somehow I think he makes it.

The STs only guys certainly have a lot of competition this year and no doubt one or two of them will be squezzed out by the added positional depth and the fact that there are more STs only players competing with eachother than were on the 53 last year (as normally expected).

I know this is only one phase of ST, but it's pretty telling.

Pats 2009 ST tackle leaders:
CB Kyle Arrington -- 18
LB Pierre Woods -- 18
LB Eric Alexander -- 13
S Pat Chung -- 13
S Brandon McGowan -- 12
WR Sam Aiken -- 11
LB Rob Ninkovich -- 11
WR Matthew Slater -- 7
source: Arrington, Woods finish in special teams tie - New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston

Of the ST-only players on this list, I think only Arrington's job is safe. He tied for most tackles despite starting halfway through the year.

As far as this years rookies,I see Welch and Weston most likely to not make the cut,PS included.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes