Welcome to PatsFans.com

Defiant Ill. governor fills Obama's Senate seat

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by cupofjoe1962, Dec 30, 2008.

1. cupofjoe1962

cupofjoe1962 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +67 / 14 / -9

This is a brilliant pick.

I know nothing about the man.... but the fact he is black will only help his chances.
    Who will stand in his way of the only black Senator?

CHICAGO – A defiant Gov. Rod Blagojevich on Tuesday named a black political trailblazer to Barack Obama's Senate seat, a surprise move that put the governor's opponents in the uncomfortable position of trying to block his choice from becoming the Senate's only black member. Blagojevich's appointment of former state Attorney General Roland Burris injected race into the drama surrounding the embattled governor, who repeatedly sought to distance his selection from charges that he tried to sell the seat to the highest bidder.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2008
  2. shmessy

shmessy Maude Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,358 / 10 / -7

#75 Jersey

1) The same people who rightly opposed Clarence Thomas' nomination.

and

2) The 1st Black president of the USA

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/12/30/illinois.senate/index.html

Any more questions?

Last edited: Dec 31, 2008
  3. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +675 / 2 / -9

I have to go and lie down for awhile and figure out a way to respond to this without upsetting anybody.

4. cupofjoe1962

cupofjoe1962 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +67 / 14 / -9

How did that fight turn out?

Give Obama a day or two, He will change his tune, just like he has on every other issue.

5. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +389 / 3 / -15

#18 Jersey

What I would love to see happen is to have Blagojevich tied to a chair and given 1,000 facial slaps on television unil the coward cries publically. I'm talking the kind of face slaps that hurt like hell.

6. shmessy

Ratings:
    +1,358 / 10 / -7

#75 Jersey

Answer: Pretty nicely for the Dems who opposed him.

If I recall correctly, it turned out with the nominating President getting electorally beyatch-slapped 12 months later.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2008
  7. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +675 / 2 / -9

We're in for a lot of laughs...............

8. FreeTedWilliams

FreeTedWilliams pfadmins PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +289 / 38 / -4

#75 Jersey

So you are saying that you do not care about any of this man's qualifications or thought processes, you just care that he is black, and that makes him acceptable to serve as a US Senator?

9. shmessy

Ratings:
    +1,358 / 10 / -7

#75 Jersey

I agree with you here, FTW. CupofJoe seems to be focusing only on race and not the fact that the ACTUAL act of fraudulent nomination process is what Blagojevich is under arrest for.

Why folks like CupofJoe and Bobby Rush want to make this a racial matter is beyond reason - - and, of course, hints to other motives.

Of course, CupofJoe is the season ticket holder who famously bailed out on the MOST COURAGEOUS Patriot team of all time the moment Brady got injured - - so his thought processes are special to begin with.

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england...-ticket-exchange-will-get-all-my-tickets.html

;)

10. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +389 / 3 / -15

#18 Jersey

Gov. Rod Blagojevich is a loser of the highest order. Nothing this man has ever done has any brilliance in it....just GREED.

No matter who he named or appointed, it is the choice of a criminal and a loser. To allow that choice to remain would insult every citizen of Illinois and this nation. ESPECIALLY, Barack Obama.

11. scout

scout Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

What a freakin' joke. Hope that the rest of the country knows that this Gov. is being bashed daily by everyone in Illinois and his popularity is lower then Bush's. He introduces his candidate, who is black and who has contributed $20,000 to his campaign. After the candidate speaks, a black Rep. (and former Black Panther) states that he hoped this candidate doesn't get lynched or hung.
    Because we all know how racist Illinois has been as opposed to being corrupt.

12. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +539 / 6 / -2

I think, and I stress think, that CofJ's point is that Blago nominated a black man because it would be harder to argue against a minority nominee. Politically, it's a smart move by Blago. Fewer people will be willing to go against the man nominated, because of his color. Again, I think this is what Cup meant.

13. scout

Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

That is exactly why Blago chose him, well that and how much $$$$ he was able to get from him. A number of individuals have turned Blago down, and Roland Burris says yes? Why would anyone trust this guy as a senator. By accepting the position he's proven that he's influenced by greed. Oh, and Burris is the same person who last week slammed Blago.

14. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +389 / 3 / -15

#18 Jersey

That is the way I read it also and I still think it would be a slap in everyone's face if the man is allowed to take office. It's not the man he appointed, it's the criminal who appointed him.

15. godef

godef In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

"Brilliant" and abhorent all at the same time.

16. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +675 / 2 / -9

I'm starting to like this Blaago guy, he's basically telling the Newly Elected Prince Messiah Baracko to pound sand up his rectum, and he ain't backing down, he's got balls.

Hasn't it become clear to all the Messiah Groupies yet that the reason the Dingobats are so upset with this Blaggy guy is that when the prosecutors start digging deep into this cesspool they may find the name "Barack Hussein Obama" in there somewhere.

Only a Fawning Obama Groupie Moron could really believe that the Governor & The Senator from the same State never had "wheelings & dealings" remember they are both politicians and we all know what politicians are.

Watergate started just like this.

:bricks:

17. scout

Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

You couldn't be more wrong, but then again, when has that stopped you from posting.

18. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +675 / 2 / -9

Are you sure I'm wrong---:p

19. scout

Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

Blagojevich is the perfect definition of a corrupt politician. He is what everyone on this board loathes about politicians. Had you heard of Blagojevich before this senate scandal, you would have been repulsed by him, as the senate seat is just business as usual, just observed nationally. I guess he's not as bad a politician as the Il. Gov. before him, who is serving time in a Fed. penitentiary for corruption which caused a family to die in a fiery crash.

20. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +675 / 2 / -9

Exactly and the great Messiah is part of Illinois politics so it is very possible that and an investigation could turn up some dirty dealings by the Chosen One and to be fair it is also possible that he is clean, so dig and dig deep if the Prince is clean he will be even a greater hero than he is now, then they could erect a statue of him next to Abraham Lincoln with a plaque saying "We Told You He Was Clean"