PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Defensivley, Belichick was beaten at his own game...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: CHFF: Jets find Belichick defense the cure for what ails you

For those of you smarter Patriots fans who didn't join the "season is over" after one loss train, I have to say I'm smiling. After our week one loss I had to deal with "Fire Shotty", "Bench Sanchez" and "Start Clemens" threads. Seems like you get the same garbage over here. Okay, so you're not that Patriots team that led you to three SB's, but you're not as bad as I've been reading on here. It was just a bad game in a stadium where the fans were VERY VERY loud against a team that had so much more to prove. It just wasn't meant to be your day.
I guess Kids are the same no matter who they root for.

I guess Kids are the same no matter who they root for.

I gues homers with nothing to say have to re-use a line thats been said over and over because, well, you homers have nothing else to say.

I'm not directing this at the people actually discussing this with me, what I'm referring to is the clowns that come into threads just saying stuff like "Your a fair weather fan, damn kids" Crap like that. If you have nothing to add because you just don't know what to say, be a lurker not a poster. No one wants to hear the same stupid lines over and over because you lack the intelligence to add anything to the conversation.

Last edited:

I gues homers with nothing to say have to re-use a line thats been said over and over because, well, you homers have nothing else to say.

I'm not directing this at the people actually discussing this with me, what I'm referring to is the clowns that come into threads just saying stuff like "Your a fair weather fan, damn kids" Crap like that. If you have nothing to add because you just don't know what to say, be a lurker not a poster. No one wants to hear the same stupid lines over and over because you lack the intelligence to add anything to the conversation.

It's amazing how you guys rip on each other on here.

Before i listen to someone with fifty posts they have to prove they know WTF they're talking about. So far you haven't proven sh!t....Kid, and that goes for the other Kids as well.

Last edited:

I know a Jets fan isn't coming here saying that?

If people choose to say stupid things, they'll get stupid responses.

Here's my break-down:

The defense isn't very good. Maybe some day, but not today. Therefore it is up to the Offense to sustain drives and put up points. Can't do that when your second half adjustment means running to the outside and throwing to Moss only. So, either Brady, Belichick or O'Brien are the idiots.

There.

If your team ever actually experiences success, you will see how much fun it is to deal with ignorant, bandwagon fans. Actually, this type of fan is a pleasure, until the team actually, the horror!, loses a game.

I know a Jets fan isn't coming here saying that?

If people choose to say stupid things, they'll get stupid responses.

Not sure how what he said was stupid. It's a fact. It's clear to me from seeing on this forum and my own that fans over react. In my experience, the younger fans don't have the patience to understand that a loss doesn't mean the end of the season. Some do, but most "overreact". Sure there are fans of all ages that do the same thing. It's like this with Jets fans. 40 years of sub par football and limited success. The result: This season the older fans who've been around forever are hopeful, but remember how it's gone in years past. The newer/younger fans are the ones screaming SB. Those fans are the ones that get you guys laughing at us. You're fellow patriots fan was spot on with his remarks.

Last edited:

If your team ever actually experiences success, you will see how much fun it is to deal with ignorant, bandwagon fans. Actually, this type of fan is a pleasure, until the team actually, the horror!, loses a game.

Man, I was dealing with it all preseason thanks to the Media. The juveniles came out of the woodwork.

Forget 2007 when the offense was putting them ahead by 30 points, I want real performances when the offense didn't make the offense one dimensional, but if you wanna use that sure.

First, your original request was 5 games within the last 5 years. I omitted '05. Who knows what was in there, and 2007 happened within the last five years. If you want to zero in on only the bad performances, you'll find your analysis saying what you want it to say. I am also one of those people that believes a good defense augments a good offense and vice versa. Teams like the 2009-2010 Jets and the 2000 Ravens are great defenses with pretty terrible offenses, and teams like that are fairly rare. I don't know why you think a good defense can only exist in the presence of a bad offense, and if that's what you want the Pats to be, you'll have to wait a few years until Brady retires. A good offense enables a good defense and vice versa. That's what made the SB (and 2007) teams so special.

And the Bears? Are you seriously telling me the Bears in 06 were a dominant offense, or are you hoping your stat makes it look better? Great D, but terrible offense. That's a poor game.

I go by the numbers. Everyone remembers the defense, but they had a pretty good rushing attack with Thomas Jones and Cedric Benson. The QB controversy gets the headlines, but the offense wasn't that terrible. I know that doesn't match up with anecdotal evidence, but I can't help the perceptions of other people.

The Cardinals we're a 9-7 team that season that got hot in the playoffs. Isn't that why EVERYONE here says the Jets are mediocre? That's not an elite team, but I guess it's nice being able to shut down a 9-7 in the snow.

Elite team? You asked for elite offense. Warner, Bolden, and Fitzgerald were a force out there. It was an elite offense. The last time I checked, both teams played in the snow, and the Pats put up 47 points.

2009, and that's no explosive offense. Matt Ryan and co. are decent, but not explosive yet.

I already noted the caveat.

Out of your list, I'm impressed with 2 games and that's because the Chargers are the only good team on that list, besides the Bears but their offense was not good I don't care what stats want to indicate. That offense cost them a super bowl.

You're seeing what you want to see. It's a common form of cognitive bias.

2006 - They beat a mediocre Bengals team (this is why I wanted ELITE teams, not 8-8, 9-7 teams, but you having to show teams like this reinforces what I've been saying all along) they beat a Bears offense that was mediocre they were one of the weakest SB teams of all time.

You said "top offense". You're switching to "elite team" now that I've given you examples? The D did shut down some top offenses. You're going to have to deal with that.

07 - Fantastic team, no one was stopping the Pats that year..Except for the Giants :[ This is the only kind of strategy that will help our D. We need our offense to be explosive similar to 07 to help them make the opposing offense one dimensional.

I'm not disagreeing with this, and I don't see that as a problem. In fact, I think that is the new reality in the NFL. Offense dictates the game in this era. I don't know what you think of the Pats, but they've been the one of the most consistently successful franchises since 2000 (or the most successful depending on your POV). I think that BB is betting that the wave of the future is blowing your opponent out of the water and force them to play one-dimensional football. If we would have had more capable players and planning on defense in 2009, I think we're looking at a 15-1 or 14-2 type of year last year.

Again you switched your requirements from "top offense" to "elite team" without telling me. Find me an elite team that shut down elite teams the way you demand the Pats do. You won't find them.

Here's my break-down:

The defense isn't very good. Maybe some day, but not today. Therefore it is up to the Offense to sustain drives and put up points. Can't do that when your second half adjustment means running to the outside and throwing to Moss only. So, either Brady, Belichick or O'Brien are the idiots.

There.

I wouldn't call them idiots but the team in the second half was as predictable as the sun rising in the A.M.

Week 2 offensive second half Gameplan: Look For Moss - throw it to Moss,double covered? - No problem,keep on throwing it to him,he might catch 1 of the 17 throws

Run the ball,ineffective?,No problem keep running it

Last edited:

Week 2 offensive second half Gameplan: Look For Moss - throw it to Moss,double covered? - No problem,keep on throwing it to him,he might catch 1 of the 17 throws

Run the ball,ineffective?,No problem keep running it

The actual stats from the game don't bear out what you're saying. Brady didn't look for Moss more in the second half in total or in proportional terms. They actually ran far less in the second half, and it was actually more effective than in the first half.

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/10/668861-analysis-1st-downs-brady.html

I would say that this article is pretty accurate. I love BB and this team, but let's not act like we haven't seen (time and again) this defense make average, or even less-than-average, quaterbacks look like HOF QBs. Even in the 2007 year when we still had the veterans, I watched guys like Kyle Boller have really good games against the D. There's just something about the scheme that's off. Whatever. We'll see what happens going forward.

I would say that this article is pretty accurate. I love BB and this team, but let's not act like we haven't seen (time and again) this defense make average, or even less-than-average, quaterbacks look like HOF QBs. Even in the 2007 year when we still had the veterans, I watched guys like Kyle Boller have really good games against the D. There's just something about the scheme that's off. Whatever. We'll see what happens going forward.

In 2003, when we played the Broncos, we made Danny Kanell look pretty decent as well. The problem is that these issues have been occurring more and more frequently in the last year or so. I posted in another thread a very disturbing trend: we have let three quarterbacks achieve career days in passes completed, passing yards, and TD's since 2009. That esteemed list of quarterbacks includes: Kyle Orton, Chad Henne, and Mark Sanchez. Pretty sad when you think about it.

I doubt it's scheme, though. I just think it's a fact that we're rebuilding on that side of the ball. The scheme is just fine when you have the horses to run it (we don't) and can be just as aggressive as a one gap.

Before i listen to someone with fifty posts they have to prove they know WTF they're talking about. So far you haven't proven sh!t....Kid, and that goes for the other Kids as well.

Hey stupid, I used to post under BioncPatriot, so that cop out doesn't help you either. Post count is always one of the most ridiculous thingsd to bring up, and this show it.

When you know WTF YOU'RE talking about and you can argue factsa and not just insults I'll take you seriously.

First, your original request was 5 games within the last 5 years. I omitted '05. Who knows what was in there, and 2007 happened within the last five years. If you want to zero in on only the bad performances, you'll find your analysis saying what you want it to say. I am also one of those people that believes a good defense augments a good offense and vice versa. Teams like the 2009-2010 Jets and the 2000 Ravens are great defenses with pretty terrible offenses, and teams like that are fairly rare. I don't know why you think a good defense can only exist in the presence of a bad offense, and if that's what you want the Pats to be, you'll have to wait a few years until Brady retires. A good offense enables a good defense and vice versa. That's what made the SB (and 2007) teams so special.

That's why I ended up saying go ahead and include it. It's not an elite D, but that 2007 D was good enough for us to win a championship. What killed them was losing Colvin, the pass rush hasn't been there since.

I go by the numbers. Everyone remembers the defense, but they had a pretty good rushing attack with Thomas Jones and Cedric Benson. The QB controversy gets the headlines, but the offense wasn't that terrible. I know that doesn't match up with anecdotal evidence, but I can't help the perceptions of other people.

Wasn't Grossman their QB at the time? Or Orton? Either way, that offense sucked and I can't believe you're simply going by numbers. They were one of the weakest SB teams ever BECAUSE of that offense.

Elite team? You asked for elite offense. Warner, Bolden, and Fitzgerald were a force out there. It was an elite offense. The last time I checked, both teams played in the snow, and the Pats put up 47 points.
Point is, you can't point to any real elite teams. Not too many 12-4 + types on the list huh?

I already noted the caveat.

You're seeing what you want to see. It's a common form of cognitive bias.

You said "top offense". You're switching to "elite team" now that I've given you examples? The D did shut down some top offenses. You're going to have to deal with that.

By you using an offense like the Bears, you're trying to tell yourself what you want to hear. That list you provided isn't impressive, because it represents (regardless of what you say) a failure on the Pats part to put together a impressive list of W's.

I'm not disagreeing with this, and I don't see that as a problem. In fact, I think that is the new reality in the NFL. Offense dictates the game in this era. I don't know what you think of the Pats, but they've been the one of the most consistently successful franchises since 2000 (or the most successful depending on your POV). I think that BB is betting that the wave of the future is blowing your opponent out of the water and force them to play one-dimensional football. If we would have had more capable players and planning on defense in 2009, I think we're looking at a 15-1 or 14-2 type of year last year.

Again you switched your requirements from "top offense" to "elite team" without telling me. Find me an elite team that shut down elite teams the way you demand the Pats do. You won't find them.

I don't expect the Pats to shut down elite teams every day. I expect them to hold their own. I expect the Patriots to have impressive victories, none of which is happening lately.

I wish you were right about BB but if he thought that I don't see why he did so little for the pass rush if his belief is to get ahead than attack.

Hey stupid, I used to post under BioncPatriot, so that cop out doesn't help you either. Post count is always one of the most ridiculous thingsd to bring up, and this show it.

When you know WTF YOU'RE talking about and you can argue factsa and not just insults I'll take you seriously.
1ST I posted this...."I guess Kids are the same no matter who they root for." ...You then posted this....

"I gues homers with nothing to say have to re-use a line thats been said over and over because, well, you homers have nothing else to say."

I initially wasn't thinking about you when i posted "kids are the same" You took it that i was referring to you and posted the "i guess homers have nothing to say" line. I was referring to the people with 5-6 posts calling for Brady to be replaced with someone like Kurt Warner. Or the same posters saying that anyone not Bugging out like them is a Homer.

So what did you expect?

Like i said earlier, the posters making the most negative noise have been here the shortest time.

Last edited:

"When you have good players, your a genius, when your players are bad, your stupid"

CHFF, way to go, there's a reason i hate sites like this

Nothing knee-jerk or troll like about this article. The Patriots defense has been getting torn up by elite QBs since 2004 (with the exception of the 2004 playoff run) and it has been getting torn up by mediocre QBs since late 2007.

Just the facts at this point. The only top QB I remember the Pats shutting down in the past 2.5 years was Kurt Warner, in the snow and against a Cards team that hardly showed up.

We're (mostly) all homers and Belichick worshipers, bet's be honest with ourselves here.

Nothing knee-jerk or troll like about this article. The Patriots defense has been getting torn up by elite QBs since 2004 (with the exception of the 2004 playoff run) and it has been getting torn up by mediocre QBs since late 2007.

Just the facts at this point. The only top QB I remember the Pats shutting down in the past 2.5 years was Kurt Warner, in the snow and against a Cards team that hardly showed up.

We're (mostly) all homers and Belichick worshipers, bet's be honest with ourselves here.

I agree that the Pats defense has declined, but the article is really shallow. Yes, of course this is no longer a great defense, and yes, it is perhaps time to question some of BB's lofty accolades. Still, these were not Cold, Hard, Football Facts... these were Obvious, Weak, Football Opinions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back