PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Defensivley, Belichick was beaten at his own game...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please tell us, even with the benefit of 20-20 hindsight, what the coaching staff should have done with their game plan.

There was absolutely nothing they could do differently. Sanchez is simply that good.

Please tell us, even with the benefit of 20-20 hindsight, what the coaching staff should have done with their game plan.

Bill obviously didn't think Sanchez was capable of having the kind of day he did, or that Schottenheimer was just going go with a token running game. He was 'out coached' only in the sense that we weren't able to adjust to what the Jets were doing offensively.

And, not even having the benefit of hindsight, I would have pulled Butler in favor of Wilhite if possible when it became obvious that Butler was shellsocked and thus basically useless.

We are going to need another corner brought in to the mix, especially if Wheatley can't get healthy (or do any better than Butler) and BB is in denial if he doesn't bring one in.

Huh? Nothing really.

My whole point is than Sanchez was their weakest link. Belichick wisely set up a gameplan which forced the Jets to rely on that weakest link if they wanted to win. Normally this is a recipe for disaster. Today, Sanchez played quite well. What can you do?

The game reminded me of when Boller and AJ Feeley had similar outings against the Patriots; oddly they came out throwing and it was pretty obvious the D wasn't prepared for it. Not the end of the world.

The only thing I'd say is that they couldve made adjustments, and Butler was abused....

Last edited:
When the Pats had Seymour, Wilfork, and Warren to stuff the run, there wasn't much gameplanning to be done there. You have three beasts up front who are physically going to dominate. The Jets have a similar situation; their d-line will mash running games on their own. Same with Pittsburgh.

Belichick needs to gameplan to stop the run, since the guys up front can't do it on their own. Think about how that affects the rest of the defense, and how coaches with monsters on the line are able to get creative with their schemes.

This is a nonsense post. So Belichick just stopped game-planning sometime after 2004?

Today, the guys up front didn't play that bad. If Sanchez couldn't throw like he did, the Jets wouldn't have won that game on the ground. They had a few nice runs to pad their stats, but more often than not they were getting stuffed.

I thought that, too. Last week in the first half the word "swarming" came to mind about the Pats D. I saw nothing like that this week.

And this surprises you?? All we've done is discuss how young and inexperienced this defense is. Some games they're going to look good and other games they're going to look bad.
Get used to it because their growing pains are going to be quite painful at times.
That's why the VETERAN OFFENSE needs to step it up.
This loss to the Jets is on them.
The Jet game was lost when Brady and Co. laid an egg with their 1st possession in the 2nd half. The D had STOPPED the Jets, the crowd was out of the game and Sanchez was shaken up. That was the time the offense needed to go on a drive and get at least 3 pts to stretch the lead to 7. Didn't happen!

As Chris Carter has said: "it ain't the x's and the o's, it's the Willies and the Joes."

This is a young defense that will have its share of bad days, especially early in the year. It wouldn't surprise me to see them at 2-4 after the next four games (win vs. Buffalo, losses to Miami, Baltimore and SD). I expect them to play much better in the second half of the season.

Last edited:
As Chris Carter has said: "it ain't the x's and the o's, it's the Willies and the Joes."

This is a young defense that will have its share of bad days, especially early in the year. It wouldn't surprise me to see them at 2-4 after the next four games (win vs. Buffalo, losses to Miami, Baltimore and SD). I expect them to play be a much better team in the second half of the season.

Where as it would not surprise me the Jets going on a downward spiral in the second half of the season as they are going to peak by game 6...

The problem is, Belichik is no longer the mad scientist of defense. His defenses don't scare or confuse anyone anymore. Very vanilla, very predictable, no halftime adjustments (good ones). Definitely not the good old days of Patriots Reign. Sports is very cyclical, and nobody stays on top forever. The Pats got beat by a better team, period, and there was nothing anyone could do about that. We are in rebuild mode, hopefully we rebuild fast, before Brady's skills erode completely.

Spot on post.

The problem is, Belichik is no longer the mad scientist of defense. His defenses don't scare or confuse anyone anymore. Very vanilla, very predictable, no halftime adjustments (good ones). Definitely not the good old days of Patriots Reign. Sports is very cyclical, and nobody stays on top forever. The Pats got beat by a better team, period, and there was nothing anyone could do about that. We are in rebuild mode, hopefully we rebuild fast, before Brady's skills erode completely.

Yep. All I ever hear is that BB is a defensive mastermind yet our defense has been mediocre for years now. I understand we are in rebuild mode but even announcers have said that our defense is predictable.

We need a OC and DC.

Sadly he has lost it, no better than third best coach in the division at this stage. Could be even with Sparono, but Ryan's schemes put Bill to shame.

Were you saying that during the 1st half of the Jet game?

Yep. All I ever hear is that BB is a defensive mastermind yet our defense has been mediocre for years now. I understand we are in rebuild mode but even announcers have said that our defense is predictable.

We need a OC and DC.

Yeah, mediocre? Um, okay.

Year - points and yards:
2009 - 5th and 10th
2008 - 8th and 10th
2007 - 4th and 4th
2006 - 2nd and 6th

LOL, we haven't had a Defense out of the top 10 and you think he's mediocre. No other DC in the NFL could pull that off with the personnel NE has had. Quit yer whining...

Re: CHFF: Jets find Belichick Defense the cure for what ails you

not bashing at all in my opinion .. it's a fact ..

There is not one paragraph, not one sentence, not one word, not one syllable, with which I disagree.

Just as Bill - and Brady - was responsible for the rise of this franchise in the first half of the last decade, thus is he - and he alone - responsible for the obvious decline & fall of this franchise in the first half of this decade.

It's Bill's Front Office.
It's Bill's coaching staff.
It's Bill's players.
It's Bill's game management.
It's Bill's mess.

Last edited:

There is not one paragraph, not one sentence, not one word, not one syllable, with which I disagree.

Just as Bill - and Brady - was responsible for the rise of this franchise in the first half of the last decade, thus is he - and he alone - is responsible for the obvious decline & fall of this franchise in the first half of this decade.

It's his Front Office.
It's his coaching staff.
It's his players.
It's his game management.
It's his mess.

Are you saying we need new blood at the HC position?
I would not go that far......yet

Re: CHFF: Jets find Belichick defense the cure for what ails you

I'm convinced some of you are still in your teens. There is no f'ing way you became Patriot fans before the last decade.

Absolutely impossible.

Hey upstater.It seems like u still living off those 3 superbowls!!!

I'm convinced some of you are still in your teens. There is no f'ing way you became Patriot fans before the last decade.

Absolutely impossible.

If you are referring to me,I bet you are wrong...I was there in 1990 and proudly displayed my gear of a team that was considered worse team of all times....yeah,I was there

Probably older than you too.

Belichick is certainly a HOF coach and one of the best football minds of all time,but his past reputation is not a guarantee for success going forward into this decade

Last edited:

There's no question the bad drafting, trades and releasing of quality veteran defensive players has hurt this team while teams like the Dolphins and Jets did better in those areas. Its going to take a while to rebuild unless they strike gold in next year's draft and off season.

Just as Bill - and Brady - was responsible for the rise of this franchise in the first half of the last decade, thus is he - and he alone - responsible for the obvious decline & fall of this franchise in the first half of this decade.

It's Bill's Front Office.
It's Bill's coaching staff.
It's Bill's players.
It's Bill's game management.
It's Bill's mess.

you are the poster boy for the spoiled Pats fan...we have been a dominant franchise for at least 10 years, we lose in week two, and everyone is complaining. In this day and age you cannot maintain superiority before you must "reload". Players age and you must have a change over in talent. That is what's happening right now. We are in the middle of a rebuilding move and if we can do it without going 8-8, then i am all for it. I have been a Pats fan for 43 years...beleive me when i tell you that these are the good times.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back