PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Defensive Tackles

the three DT's i like are Hankins, Short and Williams I think short is a top pass rushing DT and i would love him on this team while hankins will be a top run stuffer that could develop into an every down player like wilfork did and then sylvester williams who offers great balance and could play every down i think any of those guys would be huge but i think short would have the greatest impact for our team

the three DT's i like are Hankins, Short and Williams I think short is a top pass rushing DT and i would love him on this team while hankins will be a top run stuffer that could develop into an every down player like wilfork did and then sylvester williams who offers great balance and could play every down i think any of those guys would be huge but i think short would have the greatest impact for our team

To me it really comes down to our system and what type of DT we are looking for as well as value. I agree about Short and Sylvester Williams being the top pass rushing DTs potentially available. If we could trade back from 29 to the mid/late 40's, pick up a 3rd and add either of these two I would be very happy, especially Short. I think Hankins is a better run stuffer with some upside as a pass rusher. His motor can be questioned, but you just don't see guys with that type of athletecism at his size. I think he has the highest upside of any of the DTs not named Star. I don't see him as a pure NT though, because despite his size and ability to play the run, he doesn't have a NT anchor.

If we are looking for a potential replacement to Vince then I think Jessie Williams and John Jenkins are the two to look at. Williams has the better motor, but Jenkins has the potential to be completely disruptive inside and therefore the higher upside. Both guys could go anywhere from the mid 2nd to mid 3rd. I also like Bennie Logan in the mid rounds as a solid 3-tech. He doesn't have elite size or skillset, but he uses his hands extremely well, is solid against the run and can put some pressure on the QB. I think he is a solid 4th round option.

Now...with Kelly and Armstead, do you think the DT is still a need?

My answer is yes. Your?

i think so we could still use someone like kawann short who can really put pressure up the middle plus deaderick and love's contract will be up after this year and kelly in 2 and wilfork and kelly are getting older i think we need 1 more my top 3 are Kawann Short then Johnathan Hankins then sylvester williams

Yes I think this is our highest need. We need a 3-technique badly.

Bad year to be looking for 3-tech help with no draft ammunition. By the time Bill makes his first pick,
which almost certainly will not be at 29, all of the good ones will be gone.

I'm just hoping that he signs UNH's Jared Smith as a UDFA.

Bad year to be looking for 3-tech help with no draft ammunition. By the time Bill makes his first pick,
which almost certainly will not be at 29, all of the good ones will be gone.

I'm just hoping that he signs UNH's Jared Smith as a UDFA.

I agree, the lack of picks is going to hurt us in this area. I think we should try and make do this season with Vets and target DT next year. And outside of Short and Williams this isn't a great draft for pass rushing DT's in the late 1st/2nd round. I do like Hankins and Jessie Williams, but I think there are other areas and greater value available elsewhere.

Now...with Kelly and Armstead, do you think the DT is still a need?

My answer is yes. Your?

I view Armstead as a LDE in a base 4-3 who can move inside in nickel and dime packages for that reason I'd draft a DT.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back