Welcome to PatsFans.com

Defensive Tackles

Discussion in 'Patriots Draft Talk' started by Italian Patriot, Mar 14, 2013.

1. Italian Patriot

Italian Patriot Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

In my opinion not the first need, but a need.

Don't know very well this class.

What's your opinion? Who is your favourite prospect?
  2. SirApropos

SirApropos Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

#75 Jersey

3. EwanSellars

EwanSellars Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 1 / -0

#15 Jersey

Hankins, Brandon Williams and Star are my favorites
  4. SirApropos

SirApropos Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

#75 Jersey

The Second vid with Brandon Williams walking on his hands is pretty impressive.
  5. I Augustus

I Augustus Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I'm calling this first:
    Star Lotulelei will fall into Patriots' striking distance.
    Move Vince Wilfork to LDE.
  6. Wilfork#75

Wilfork#75 Rookie

Ratings:
    +90 / 5 / -1

#75 Jersey

Why not play Star at LDE, I think he would be perfect there similar to Red Bryant.
  7. dryheat44

dryheat44 Rookie

Ratings:
    +78 / 2 / -0

#75 Jersey

Do we think the Pats are going back to a 3-4? Why not put Star at the undertackle next to Wilfork?
  8. everlong

everlong Rookie

Ratings:
    +139 / 1 / -1

#12 Jersey

If he drops that far there's some serious medical concerns. I'm am all for a return to a 3-4 and a Star-VW-Armstead/Deaderick front would be pretty good.
  9. Italian Patriot

Italian Patriot Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Sylvester Williams - UNC

[​IMG]

SOURCE - BOSTON.COM

2013 NFL Draft Profile: Sylvester Williams - North Carolina - YouTube
  10. doesntmatter1

doesntmatter1 Rookie

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0

I am completely sold on jonathan hankins. And after looking at thousands of mock drafts it seems like he may actually be within reach if carolina doesn't select him.
  11. Italian Patriot

Italian Patriot Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Can I ask you why?
  12. Ochmed Jones

Ochmed Jones Rookie

Ratings:
    +14 / 2 / -0

#12 Jersey

The tape shows Hankins to have an inconsistent motor and he has been known to disappear for quarters at a time.

Not sure I am as sold on him as you are.
  13. patsfaninpa

patsfaninpa Rookie

Ratings:
    +27 / 8 / -1

Glad to see ya posting ochmed. Hard for me to get into this draft with so few picks. Agree about Hankins. He's never been in shape his whole life. He's a 4-cylinder pulling an 18 wheeler.
  14. dryheat44

dryheat44 Rookie

Ratings:
    +78 / 2 / -0

#75 Jersey

I think he will be there at #29, I think he will be there at #30, and I think he has a good chance of being there after we make our 1st selection at #40 or so. He's just not a first round talent.
  15. doesntmatter1

doesntmatter1 Rookie

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0

The reason I am sold on hankins is his tackling ability. Run stuffers his size don't usually make that many tackles when they are occuppying blockers. I see the inconsistent motor but when he flashes he reminds me of a strange mix between wilfork and muhammed wilkerson.

And for the longest I have thought the need for a dt was there because we overplay wilfork. I feel we need a guy capable of playing all across the line and only wilfork can play nt and de and we should cover ourselves godforbid he gets hurt.
  16. JackBauer

JackBauer On the Roster

Ratings:
    +295 / 6 / -5

We don't need another run stuffer, though.
  17. doesntmatter1

doesntmatter1 Rookie

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0

I see it a little different. He can occasionally offer some pass rush especially if he is paired with vince but I feel that stopping the run is more important than pass rush. If he can make our run defense truly elite teams will be forced to throw more or even abandon the run altogether and that alone can help our pass defense. The safeties wouldn't have to focus on the run and not get sucked into play action etc. Also, if we shut down the run and force teams into 3rd and long we could blitz more often and force hot read throws short of the first down.

Look at how bad our great offense struggles when we can't get the running game going. For example, in the afc championship we had many 3rd and shorts that we couldn't convert by running and sometimes we wouldn't even try to run. That is an intimidating run defense if you consistently choose not to run on short yardage 3rd downs. Even the most efficient qbs(brady for ex) eventually turn it over when forced to throw 40+ times a game.
  18. doesntmatter1

doesntmatter1 Rookie

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0

I would like to also say that pass rush is a little overrated. Brady consistently does well against elite pass rushers such ass freeney, watt, etc. but when we couldn't run against teams like the jets when they put coverage everywhere is something i want us to do. Maybe if we have a better dline, spikes doesnt have to play as much and get abused in coverage. Maybe with hankins and wilfork pushing the pocket, spikes inside blitz may become even more effective.

I'm just not entirely convinced we need to drastically improve our pass rush. Our D was looking pretty good with talib the entire time he played and only had issues when he was out of the lineup.

Also in my rambling thoughts, look at our losses including the superbowls. Our running game did not contribute whatsoever. I basically want to neutralize the opposing team's rb completely. I don't think hankins or someone versatile like him would fix everything but it would go a long way.
  19. cstjohn17

cstjohn17 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +32 / 11 / -4

#54 Jersey

You can never go wrong with a defensive lineman or offensive lineman. If Williams fell to the Patriots I would like that pick.
  20. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Indeed. Another DT with gap penetrating capabilities along with interior pass rushing skills, and above average athleticism as a draft pick for the future should be a reasonable at 29. Although everyone wants a WR/CB/S at that spot, the best pick is probably to help in the trenches. Wilfork isn't getting any younger and although he has exceptional stamina, I would love for the Patriots to give him a platoon partner and someone who could give him a breather every now and then as an adept space-eater.

Football games are often decided in the trenches. That was something the Patriots lacked in their most physical games that were lost last season. A lot of those teams pushed around the Pats too easily on both sides of the lines. No game exasperated this problem more than the AFCCG.

Improved athleticism and physicality on both sides of the trenches is a must this offseason going forward, in my opinion.