PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Defensive Tackle

Status
Not open for further replies.

varjao

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
Reiss posted an article today re-setting the DT personnel

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-.../4764909/re-setting-the-patriots-dt-personnel

As of now we have the following players, this is a little piece from his article:

--------------

Vince Wilfork (6-2, 325): Captain and 11-year veteran is making progress in his return from a ruptured Achilles last September. Looks to be moving well.

Tommy Kelly (6-6, 310): Another 11-year veteran, he took another step in his return from a torn ACL by participating in 11-on-11 drills at mandatory minicamp.

Dominique Easley (6-2, 288): First-round draft choice is coming off two torn ACLs in a span of three seasons, suffered in college, and joined his teammates on the field for the first time on the final day of June's mandatory minicamp.

Chris Jones (6-1, 309) Second-year player was claimed on waivers last year and led all Patriots defensive tackles in snaps played in 2013. Best when penetrating.

Sealver Siliga (6-2, 325): After a slow start to his career, the run-stuffer looks like he has built some momentum as a developmental prospect behind Wilfork.

Joe Vellano (6-2, 300): Hard-working second-year player from Maryland is a lunch-pail type of guy who plays with top effort.

Marcus Forston (6-3, 305): Second-year player has spent multiple seasons on the practice squad and has filled in when injuries hit.

L.T. Tuipulotu (6-1, 305): Undrafted free agent from Utah is on the developmental track.

Seali'i Epenesa (6-1, 310): Undrafted free agent from UCLA is on the developmental track.

-----------------

It doesn't look good, after the investment we made in the secondary, if the front line do not generate the necessary pressure, it's gonna be a waste.

From the considered top 4 DT's for this upcoming season, Armstead, Wilfork, Kelly and Easley, I never expected any of them to make 16 games. I'm not even talking performance, just availability which is a basic parameter, any position of the roster you have players with some question marks but also players that in the normal course of things will play through the season, the majority of them actually, that's what everybody expects, including BB.

Not in DT. Actually, this whole "if healthy" condition is people having high hopes IMO, I think out of these 4 players, instead of guess who is the one who is gonna go down, it's more reasonable to guess who is the one who is gonna survive. In my opinion it's very very very likely that all of these guys are going to struggle health related at some point due to recent surgeries/age. And then yesterday we got the first man down with the news about Armstead retiring.

We could very well end up like last year with Vellano, Jones and Siliga starting.

Thoughts?

We ended last year with Siliga, Jones and Vellano. All 3 have a year's experience and a full offseason under the belt, and should be better, and all 3 will be behind Wilfork, Easley and Kelly going into training camp and likely the regular season. Chandler Jones, Will Smith and possibly Zach Moore could also all get some inside snaps in sub packages (Armstead's retirement clears a path for 5 DTs and 5 DEs). I don't think it's that bad a situation.

I like Siliga, Jones and Vellano a lot...as rotational players.

As starters, if we are talking about fielding a top 3 defense, things change a little bit.

I'm curious to see if Hightower can show some versatility.

If the top three are healthy at all, we're fine. Nobody plays five all pros at DT.

These are the available UFA defensive tackles.

Landon Cohen
Vaughn Martin
Corvey Irvin
Justin Bannan
Ryan Pickett
Johnny Jolly
Aubrayo Franklin
Isaac Sopoaga
Andre Neblett
Shaun Rogers
Daniel Muir
Gary Gibson
Derek Landry

These are the available UFA defensive tackles.

Landon Cohen
Vaughn Martin
Corvey Irvin
Justin Bannan
Ryan Pickett
Johnny Jolly
Aubrayo Franklin
Isaac Sopoaga
Andre Neblett
Shaun Rogers
Daniel Muir
Gary Gibson
Derek Landry

and these are the UFA DTs I'd be interested in:

Actually, this whole "if healthy" condition is people having high hopes IMO, I think out of these 4 players, instead of guess who is the one who is gonna go down, it's more reasonable to guess who is the one who is gonna survive. In my opinion it's very very very likely that all of these guys are going to struggle health related at some point due to recent surgeries/age. And then yesterday we got the first man down with the news about Armstead retiring.

We could very well end up like last year with Vellano, Jones and Siliga starting.

Thoughts?

BB will scour the cut list and waiver wire. If any of the 3 post-ops can't go, adjustments will need to be made. In the meantime, I'll plan on Wilfork and Kelly being the putative starters if/when healthy, with Silaga possibly rotating in with then on running downs, and Easley and Jones being the 3rd and long guys.

I am okay with the DTs we have for this year. I think the top 5 with Vellano as a PS guy isn't a bad option. I am just hoping we get a DT next year in the draft that can be a true starter. I am happy with the depth overall.

The OP is a glass-half-empty view of the position. If you take the top three players off of any position, the O or the D is in serious trouble. If the youngsters have the improvement that would be normal, and two of the top four are healthy through the season, this is one of the best DT groups the Pats have had in a long time. That's not unreasonable at all to expect.

Reiss posted an article today re-setting the DT personnel

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-.../4764909/re-setting-the-patriots-dt-personnel

As of now we have the following players, this is a little piece from his article:

--------------

Vince Wilfork (6-2, 325): Captain and 11-year veteran is making progress in his return from a ruptured Achilles last September. Looks to be moving well.

Tommy Kelly (6-6, 310): Another 11-year veteran, he took another step in his return from a torn ACL by participating in 11-on-11 drills at mandatory minicamp.

Dominique Easley (6-2, 288): First-round draft choice is coming off two torn ACLs in a span of three seasons, suffered in college, and joined his teammates on the field for the first time on the final day of June's mandatory minicamp.

Chris Jones (6-1, 309) Second-year player was claimed on waivers last year and led all Patriots defensive tackles in snaps played in 2013. Best when penetrating.

Sealver Siliga (6-2, 325): After a slow start to his career, the run-stuffer looks like he has built some momentum as a developmental prospect behind Wilfork.

Joe Vellano (6-2, 300): Hard-working second-year player from Maryland is a lunch-pail type of guy who plays with top effort.

Marcus Forston (6-3, 305): Second-year player has spent multiple seasons on the practice squad and has filled in when injuries hit.

L.T. Tuipulotu (6-1, 305): Undrafted free agent from Utah is on the developmental track.

Seali'i Epenesa (6-1, 310): Undrafted free agent from UCLA is on the developmental track.

-----------------

It doesn't look good, after the investment we made in the secondary, if the front line do not generate the necessary pressure, it's gonna be a waste.

From the considered top 4 DT's for this upcoming season, Armstead, Wilfork, Kelly and Easley, I never expected any of them to make 16 games. I'm not even talking performance, just availability which is a basic parameter, any position of the roster you have players with some question marks but also players that in the normal course of things will play through the season, the majority of them actually, that's what everybody expects, including BB.

Not in DT. Actually, this whole "if healthy" condition is people having high hopes IMO, I think out of these 4 players, instead of guess who is the one who is gonna go down, it's more reasonable to guess who is the one who is gonna survive. In my opinion it's very very very likely that all of these guys are going to struggle health related at some point due to recent surgeries/age. And then yesterday we got the first man down with the news about Armstead retiring.

Thoughts?

That is more and better than last season, when we had a Belichick leading era of 48 sacks and a 12-4 record from a trio of inexperienced DL thrown into the breach.

Oh, geez...Vellano is about one injured player away from making the squad at this point. Luckily, there will be a ton of roster cuts and cap casualties to help prevent this from happening.

I appreciate the effort that he gave last season, but wasn't expecting him to be making a second appearance.

I think teams will test us in the run game more this year than in the past, due to the improved talent in the secondary. They will also throw to their backs and TE's more if the run game stalls (which is likely, with our big DL and LB's). Teams are doomed, really, if health isn't a problem. DOOMED!! I tell ya!

Edit: Can't wait to see AP in week 2 vs. this defense, as well as Jamaal Charles in week 4.

The Patriots announced they have signed free agent defensive lineman Eathyn Manumaleuna while releasing defensive lineman Seali'i Epenesa.

Manumaleuna, who stands 6-2 and weighs 305 pounds, was released by the New York Giants June 19 after signing as an undrafted rookie. He played all 13 games in 2013 for BYU after having a medical redshirt his senior season in 2012. In 56 career games for BYU, he recorded 143 total tackles and 5.5 sacks,
http://www.boston.com/sports/footba...l?camp=misc:patriots&SREF=Optin&dlvrit=834384

Of all the excitement I show of our teams talents and potential, DT is a concern. Kelly we should feel lucky if he is even a serviceable big body who occupys blocks. We hoped to squeeze one more year of mileage from his tank. He got injured and another year of good production at his age is not likely considering he showed slight declining skills before we got him.Wilfork I'm a fan but he is turning 33/34 and big wide body's seem to decline rapidly at that age. Factor in he is coming off a major injury and I think he can be serviceable but nothing of impact. He to showed some struggles before the injury. The Ducasse thing I never saw actually but heard. I did see Osemele handle him most of the game in afccg as well as incognito kept him tied in many plays. And this was before his injury and he was younger. I wasn't for bringing him back. I would rather have signed a good respected Younger DT like Melton or some NT. Or signing Melton and drafting a NT to pair.

Easley will be an impact player but we need to allow him time to grow into his DT frame as he regains his movement skills and explosiveness and bring him along slowly to regain his full confidence and playing his best entering playoffs. However that leaves us with Aging vets we can't be sure of and a bunch of Undrafted patchwork that made it through last season with smoke and mirrors that trying to get away with again, wouldn't be a good idea. With all the Andre Johnson trade talk,maybe trading for a respected DT could be better for the team. I already prefer trading for an established talent at guard or center than Johnson. We drafted some interior OLineman but they are rookies. If Wilfork doesn't return to himself maybe we consider a pro bowl/near pro bowl big guy for the defensive side of the line.

Were we even discussing the problems at DT if not for health issues with wilfork and kelly? cause regardless of health i wouldnt be too concerned over DT counting on the paper.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes