PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Defensive Snapshot - Anyone "notice" Vince Redd?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JSn

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
Defensive snapshot - Reiss' Pieces - Boston.com

Interesting to see. I wonder if Webster would have made the secondary any better.

What I'm most interested in is if anyone was able to actually pay attention to Vince Redd in Vrabel's spot in the last 7 snaps. I'm going to DVR the speedy version tonight to watch for that and the front three specifically, but I wondered if anyone had already looked back at those snaps to see how it went.

I was going to ask the same thing?
I'm very interested in Redd's development. His physical tools are outstanding. The fact that he made the practice squad says that the BB see's something beyond just having size.
If this guy could progress into an 2 or 3 down player over the next couple of years, it would be so good for the team.
Having a big physical presence on the outside with some speed. How good does that sound right about now given our inconsistent (poor) pass rush?

Redd played during the last Miami series as well as on special teams (kick off coverage). What I noticed about him is that he is fast. During the last series against Miami, the Pats were in their 2-4-5 nickel package. Redd seems to have some speed and they seemed to put some pressure on Pennington, but really not much more than the Pats put on Favre in the previous game.

I agree...I will have to look as well. I also think he might be just as effective inside as out...(I remember in the Preseason he had some snaps inside..) I am sure they will use him where his strebgths are. I really ike him a lot...as well as added PSquader Robertson.

they need to put him on the field more........to have vrabel playing every snap until the end of the game will cause him to be ineffective the way he was in OT against the jets........he's in his 30s, he needs to rest.......if he is tired, then he will only succeed at getting hurt

Garbage time with Chad Henne at QB, good experience. He was brought up for Special Teams is still my first assessment, though they could have been thinking they wanted Guyton more in the middle vs. Miami and not on the edge if there had been an injury. Nice to see another young LB getting game reps.

Garbage time with Chad Henne at QB, good experience. He was brought up for Special Teams is still my first assessment, though they could have been thinking they wanted Guyton more in the middle vs. Miami and not on the edge if there had been an injury. Nice to see another young LB getting game reps.

sure, but he is the only depth at OLB...........having vrabel play 100% of the snaps until the end of the season is not the way to go

sure, but he is the only depth at OLB...........having vrabel play 100% of the snaps until the end of the season is not the way to go
Preaching to the choir neighbor. I love that Guyton can do both, but I'd rather have him taking his ILB reps to continue development there. Still, when push comes to shove, Special Teams was in the greatest need for reenforcement - this is the time of year when players like Alexander would graduate to the roster for Special Teams, the injury to Adalius just highlights the OLB situation, where I'm very happy to see that Redd was able to get some reps and rest Vrabes.

On a tangent: Did anyone else notice the OLBs were covering WRs in the flat? Woods looked decent covering Camarillo, though Vrabes was burned by Ginn's speed. Young Pierre is playing himself into a contract extension in March (as opposed to an RFA tender).

Right, although by now it is clear they are hoping/expecting Adalius to come back this year - otherwise he would have been IR'd already.

Right, although by now it is clear they are hoping/expecting Adalius to come back this year - otherwise he would have been IR'd already.

right, but going back to 2006, it would be a shame for the team to go deep into the playoffs only to have things torn apart they way they were when eric alexander got shredded by indy.........if he gets some PT during the season, he makes one or two plays, and the pats have their 4th SB trophy

you look at guyton getting beat by ricky williams in the end zone, and he fixes that now and doesn't get beat that way in the playoffs........

Last edited:
CB Ellis Hobbs -- 65 of 65 snaps

LB Jerod Mayo -- 65 of 65

S Brandon Meriweather -- 65 of 65

LB Pierre Woods -- 65 of 65

notice, in the above list, two of the players were backups at start of season, and one is a rookie...

and all of them were on the field for the defense for every single snap...

oww...if u want to see how injuries have hurt us, look at that

Vince Redd played in a low level college program for most of his career at Liberty College. He needs a lot more "coaching up" to be able to use any athletic ability that he may have. There is also the question of whether he has the mental abilities or quickness to play in the NFL. He does seem to have size and speed.

By contrast think of all the UDFAs that have made it for the Patriots before. Guyton played for Georgia; Lawfirm played for Ole Miss; Gay played for LSU; as did Eric Alexander, in the SEC. Only Mike Wright played at a mid size school, Cincinnati. Stephen Neal at Cal State did not play in big-time football program or even play football.

Neal was a special case; he was an outstanding athletic talent as a National champion wrestler but it took many years for him to become the dominating Guard he has become.

So I would guess that Redd is three years of grooming away from being a regular, if he can even play at all. Don't forget most scouts did not think so.

The Pats could use four picks in the first, second and two thirds to address the Defensive needs. And they probably will, even as they draft an OL.

I saw him in there a few times, mostly on 3rd downs. Nothing special. He got off the line and engaged the blocker. No real push or aggressive move/technique to get past the blocker. It may be because he doesn't have a lot of reps, but the lack of quick first step (Colvin) or strength (AD) leads me to believe he is going to need to develop a whole lot more to become a bigger factor.

Defensive snapshot - Reiss' Pieces - Boston.com

Interesting to see. I wonder if Webster would have made the secondary any better.

What I'm most interested in is if anyone was able to actually pay attention to Vince Redd in Vrabel's spot in the last 7 snaps. I'm going to DVR the speedy version tonight to watch for that and the front three specifically, but I wondered if anyone had already looked back at those snaps to see how it went.

I'm moderately proud of myself b/c when I looked back at notes I'd scribbled in various draft magazines this year, I had circles around Redd and BJGE as potential late round targets for the Pats. The fact that I had circles around lots and lots and lots of other folks need not get mentioned here :D

Nonetheless, the point remains I believe Redd is a good prospect for the Pats. He had experience doing all 3 responsibilities of the Pats OLB (edge setting, QB killing, coverage) in college and in a pre-draft interview expressed an appreciation for the position and the versatility that comes with it. I think he has a chance to stick around like Woods and grow into the position.

Nonetheless, the point remains I believe Redd is a good prospect for the Pats. He had experience doing all 3 responsibilities of the Pats OLB (edge setting, QB killing, coverage) in college and in a pre-draft interview expressed an appreciation for the position and the versatility that comes with it. I think he has a chance to stick around like Woods and grow into the position.

The bonus of geting REAL game reps subing for our depleted OLBs will really help the kid make major strides. Then there's the off-season conditioning program. I have no idea of the kid's 'football IQ', but if it's moderate to high, he'll blossom in this designed to develop players system.

Vince Redd played in a low level college program for most of his career at Liberty College. He needs a lot more "coaching up" to be able to use any athletic ability that he may have. There is also the question of whether he has the mental abilities or quickness to play in the NFL. He does seem to have size and speed.

By contrast think of all the UDFAs that have made it for the Patriots before. Guyton played for Georgia; Lawfirm played for Ole Miss; Gay played for LSU; as did Eric Alexander, in the SEC. Only Mike Wright played at a mid size school, Cincinnati. Stephen Neal at Cal State did not play in big-time football program or even play football.

Neal was a special case; he was an outstanding athletic talent as a National champion wrestler but it took many years for him to become the dominating Guard he has become.

So I would guess that Redd is three years of grooming away from being a regular, if he can even play at all. Don't forget most scouts did not think so.

The Pats could use four picks in the first, second and two thirds to address the Defensive needs. And they probably will, even as they draft an OL.
Not so fast with the big school snobbery - at least not until you do some more homework. ;)

Redd started at Virginia, redshirting in 2003 as a DE on the scout team. He was moved to OLB (3-4) as a rFR and back to DE (3-4) the next year before eventually being dismissed from the team in 2006. He was invited to Liberty by a former Virginia Assitant who played him at OLB (3-4) in 2007.

The kid has enough of a big school and 3-4 pedigree to give us some hope for a more rapid development. Either way, I still believe he was brought up for his Special Teams play and not for any great expectation that he'll play a significant role at OLB this season.

Five picks? The Pats have their own in the first three rounds as well as SD's second. I assume you added a compensatory for A. Samuel in the 3rd based on the size of his contract and not his 3 Ints this year......

Whoa ...slow down there man....Guyton did not play for Georgia...he played for Georgia Tech....huge difference to us ACC folk and GT alumni. Georgia = the devil.

Not so fast with the big school snobbery - at least not until you do some more homework. ;)

Redd started at Virginia, redshirting in 2003 as a DE on the scout team. He was moved to OLB (3-4) as a rFR and back to DE (3-4) the next year before eventually being dismissed from the team in 2006. He was invited to Liberty by a former Virginia Assitant who played him at OLB (3-4) in 2007.

The kid has enough of a big school and 3-4 pedigree to give us some hope for a more rapid development. Either way, I still believe he was brought up for his Special Teams play and not for any great expectation that he'll play a significant role at OLB this season.

BOR,
I acknowledged that he had some time at a non-small school when I said he played MOST (but not all) his time at a small college program. When he was at Virginia, it was early in his career when as a Frosh or Soph he saw little real opportunity to take many snaps.

I do congratulate him for loyalty to a Coach by following him to his new Head Coaching assignment at Liberty.

Cassel did much the same in his own way, by remaining at USC when he was beaten out by Palmer and them Lienart. He was recruited by Carroll and stayed. After all, he was only one injury from being under Center for the premier College team in those years...

Whoa ...slow down there man....Guyton did not play for Georgia...he played for Georgia Tech....huge difference to us ACC folk and GT alumni. Georgia = the devil.

I stand corrected. My error. But the ACC is big time football too. I knew that, and that he had a story for not being drafted, in that he was backing up Philip Wheeler, thier All American MLB, who was drafted by the Colts in round three.

"After all if you can't beat out your college competition , how are you going to play in the NFL?", is a common refrain of Scouts. My answer is: "Ask Matt Cassel!" :nosmile:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down